Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Security Fairness Act H.R. 82

Contributor

Social Security Fairness Act H.R. 82

I am requesting AARP's support of the Social Security Fairness Act H.R. 82.  This bill would correct an injustice to federal workers who are retired from Civil Service.  It affects more than 2 million retirees.  We are being unfairly penalized by the Government Pension Offset provision which reduces Social Security benefits for spouses, widows and widowers who receive government pensions of their own federal service,  In my case, my widow's benefits are zero based on the current law.  I worked for the federal government for 36 years.  If I had worked for any other employer that provided a retirement pension, I would not have been impacted by the current law.

The National Active and Retired Employees Association (NARFE) has advocated for the change in this law for several years.  Please urge Congress to act on this important legislation before the session closes this year.

Thank you for your help on this important matter.  I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Joyce

My wife and I have been affected by this law since receiving Social Security 15 years ago. Congress supports repealing the WEP, SEP law but, keeps shelving it year after year. If AARP doesn't get behind the appeal the millions of seniors affected will never receive their entitlement they are entitled to.

0 Kudos

Is AARP doing anything to support this act?

Honored Social Butterfly

@jj12156405 wrote 

In my case, my widow's benefits are zero based on the current law.  I worked for the federal government for 36 years.  If I had worked for any other employer that provided a retirement pension, I would not have been impacted by the current law.

=============================

But all those others  paid into the SS system and their contributions were matched by the employer.  They ALSO contributed to their pension in addition to SS - NOT in place of -

The FERS system began in 1984 - you mean you didn’t begin to pay SS contributions on your wages way back them when they gave you a choice.

For the GPO to affect you, you would have to have a pretty big federal pension OR the SS benefit which you think you are entitled is relatively small because the GPO only reduces the benefit by 2/3.

SSA.gov -Government Pension Offset

Before I lend my support as you ask, go back and pay your SS contributions just like everybody else along with the employer match and then we can talk.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

I worked 35 years under the Civil Service system and worked a second job many of those years in which I paid the Society Security tax. Under this law my and my wife's Social Security payment has been severely cut. We just want the benefit we paid for nothing else. When they say it's a penalty that's exactly what it is. We earned the two retirements separately and deserve what we paid for. Please understand the law before you comment.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You are getting the SS benefit you deserve -  it is just based on a slightly different formula due to your outlier situation -  you were not a low income worker and the normal formula is progressive based on that criteria so a different formula has to be used for your benefit calculation.

SSA.gov Windfall Elimination Provision Explained 

Why not support having ALL employees pay into the SS system?  That way ALL your earnings would be considered in the formula for benefits just like everybody else who gets a pension and a SS benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP