Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Missing SSC

Hello,

I've misplaced my SS card. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not. Allow me to explain.

I received my SS card in the early 70s. It arrived staples to an instruction card, but there's a catch. The card I received was actually two cards with a perforation between the two. Both have my name and SSAN. Both cards are NOT identical in appearance. The instructions state to tear of the top card and keep it on you (WRONG) and to keep the bottom card secured in a safe place. I have the bottom card still stapled to the instructions. The bottom card says "for SS and tax purposes. Not an ID."

My question is instead of standing in a long line in a large metropolitan area of the country for a replacement, is the bottom card a valid SS card I can use when I'm ready to apply for benefits? 
I tried ordering a replacement from my MySocialSecurity account but it rejected my request.

Has anyone else who had received their SS card around the same time ('71 - '74) experience receiveing their card(s) in this manner?

Thanks and regards,

Bill

Social Butterfly

@wk3600 

I have the very same type of cards. I also lost my "carrying-around" SS card and have used the "permanent-stapled" card on the few times when necessary. I got my card around 1968.

There were never any problems (to date) using the stapled card.

But you should be able to obtain a replacement card. Perhaps just mail (postal) a request.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you.

Bill

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you.

I don't understand the reasoning for denying an online application because someone hasn't received a card recently. 
I've messaged and tweeted them and will reach out Tuesday. Maybe I can get some reasonable answers.

Regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@wk3600 

Bill, It is your name and SS # that is the most important and the correct / verifiable correlation between them.

This part of your post bothers me because you should be able to order a Replacement Card through your mySocial Security.gov account.  You said:  I tried ordering a replacement from my MySocialSecurity account but it rejected my request.

There are a few exceptions and prerequisites listed here which might be hanging your request for a replacement card.

SSA.gov - Request a Replacement Social Security Number (SSN) Card Online 

Notice the link says:  Keep in mind that in many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.

If you do not have one of the above listed (at the link) exceptions, review your mySocial Security account set up especially your name and SS#.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP