Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Medicare Part A and and FEHB

My wife and I both work, I get medical coverage through my wife since she works for the government. This year in May I turn 65 but will still be working (as well as my wife). I am told that I can get Medicare Part A for free. Is that the case and are there benefits and or downsides to getting Medicare Part A with all this in mind?

RT

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There isnโ€™t a downside for having your FEHB and Medicare Part A - they will each pay their part of a claim that is covered by Part A Medicare.  You have already paid for Medicare Part A by your payroll deductions for Medicare thru the years.  

When you sign up for Part B then you will have to pay the Part B premium but that will be when you decide to stop working at your current job.

OPM.gov - Medicare and FEHB Enrollment 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Are there any Pro's who can answer this? 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Well, were not "Pros" but as a rule when you turn 65, you go on Medicare as your primary provider and your employer picks up the secondary provider expenses. 

Don't know how this works when your/your wife's employer is the federal government(?)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a 

If a person is STILL working and has group employer benefits either as an employee or their covered spouse, the size of the company usually determines whether Medicare (Part A ) is primary or secondary and whether or not one has to sign up for Part B or if they can delay it until they lose their employer group coverage (not retiree coverage.

Some links for you -

Medicare.gov - Working Past 65 and Signing up for Medicare 

Medicare.gov How Medicare Works with Other Insurance

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP