Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is this letter/ phone number legit

Periodic Contributor

Is this letter/ phone number legit

I filled out an application online for SS earlier this month.  Today I received a letter from SSA saying  a transaction was recently attempted with my name and information. I am to call 855 249 4175 to speak with Mrs. Agamao .  If they do not hear from me within 10 days of the letter they will not process my transaction.    The letter is from Salinas .ca.  When I Google the number to ssa  in Salinas, the above number does not match.   Is this letter etc legitimate and I'm worried about nothing?  Thanks:)

Trusted Contributor

Well, now it seems your description has changed again. Obviously, people in SS are NOT WORKING IN THE OFFICES. They are working from home. Expect delays bc of this in getting SS.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

SCAM.  The IRS does not call you.  Do not return call and NEVER give out any information over the phone.

Check the Wheres my payment?  It was updated yesterday and if you, like me, receive benefits and have not filed taxes in 2018 and 2019, YOU WILL BE GETTING A PAPER CHECK.

Go to the Where's my payment on the IRS site, enter the information and it will tell you the date your check will be mailed out.

for me it said.  YOUR CHECK WILL BE MAILED OUT ON MAY 1ST AT THE ADDRESS WE HAVE ON FILE FOR YOU (Luckily, I Have not moved in years).

So when you get your check in the mail, it IS NOT A SCAM.  Many of us who get benefits but have not had to file taxes, will be getting a PAPER CHECK INSTEAD.

Social Butterfly

@KayonaL897429    Have you used the Social Security Web site and created an account?  https://www.ssa.gov/

Where is your local Social Security office located? 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

This link is to an SSA "blog" post about "Is that phone call from us?". although you got the letter.

https://blog.ssa.gov/is-that-phone-call-from-us/

The comments on that page contain the number you mentioned several times. It also showed up in a Google search but nothing definitive.

It's really odd that you got the letter soon after applying.

My suggestion, call the main SS number and speak with them about this.

@KayonaL897429 wrote:

I filled out an application online for SS earlier this month.  Today I received a letter from SSA saying  a transaction was recently attempted with my name and information. I am to call 855 249 4175 to speak with Mrs. Agamao .  If they do not hear from me within 10 days of the letter they will not process my transaction.    The letter is from Salinas .ca.  When I Google the number to ssa  in Salinas, the above number does not match.   Is this letter etc legitimate and I'm worried about nothing?  Thanks:)

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

The IRS NEVER CALLS and ask for information on the phone. That is a scam. Check today on the Wheres my payment on the IRS Site. It was updated yesterday 4/25 and I found out today that my check is being mailed out on May 1st.

Those who receive benefits and have not had to file taxes are not getting DD, but instead are getting paper checks mailed to the address the IRS has on file for you. So if you have moved, that can cause a problem.

But understand that if you get a check in the mail, IT IS A LIVE CHECK, so do not discard.

AGAIN, THE IRS NEVER CALLS AND ASKS FOR INFO OVER THE PHONE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU TO NEVER GIVE INFO ON THE PHONE.

That is a new scam they use. IGNORE.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Second update.  I had also emailed the SSA about the letter I received, I just received an email back.  The email also states that this is a legitimate phone number to their work support office. It took well over a week for an email response.  

Trusted Contributor

If you had read, IRS is sending letters within 15 DAYS AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR MONEY, to verify that you got it and that there was no problem. For those who had problems (like a man who only had $145 deposited into his account), there will be information on the letter AS TO WHO TO CALL TO REPORT THE PROBLEM.

You first said it was a phone call I believe. The IRS does not ever call people. Of course, if you knew to expect the IRS letter, then you would realize it was a valid letter.

So all should expect to receive this letter within three weeks of getting their money. God, people read a bit and keep up.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ummm, not sure what has you so upset. If you would go back to my 1st post in this thread I state clearly that I received a letter not a call. I then called SSA to verify the letter. They verified it was legit and I posted that update. I then also posted an update that I had also sent an email to SSA and they replied and also said the letter I received was legit.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you posted this,

"If you had read, IRS is sending letters within 15 DAYS AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR MONEY, to verify that you got it and that there was no problem. For those who had problems (like a man who only had $145 deposited into his account), there will be information on the letter AS TO WHO TO CALL TO REPORT THE PROBLEM."

I mentioned nothing about any of this. Thank you
Periodic Contributor

So I called the number.  Got a recording stating because of covid she was not in her office but I could leave my name and phone number and she would check her voicemail and get back to me, also that the phone call would not come from SSA but may show up as a blocked or private number?   Weird I think.   

0 Kudos

I called my local office as I got a similar phone call:  This is a legitimate number and person. However, my suspicions went up when she asked for my ssn. The local office flagged this as they are never supposed to ask that particular question. 
Iโ€™m sure you have this problem resolved by now but I thought Iโ€™d add a little reassurance. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

You first made it sound like the call was random. It was on the LETTER that you got. Please be careful when you post and make it clear bc now you have people confused.

The IRS is sending letters to all AFTER you receive payment. The info presented in that letter will be legitimate.

AnnemarieK, If YOU had read KayoneL's message clearly, you would have read that she had received a letter with a phone number in the body of the letter for KL to call the SSA.  She never said she received a phone call from SSA.  Also, KL only wanted to have a phone number verified.  We are all just wanting information and have it presented in a kind way.

Gold Conversationalist

KayonaL ... yes, that is definitely weird. It sounds like it could be true based on current conditions with covid. But definitely weird!

I'm glad that you had it confirmed by the SSA that it was a legitimate number. But even so... I would be a little circumspect about providing any information; they could ask and I would verify or confirm if true or not. 

Thank you for posting and confirming that the number is legit. I suspected it was as from some Google results, but it is good to know for sure. Good that you checked!

@KayonaL897429 wrote:

So I called the number.  Got a recording stating because of covid she was not in her office but I could leave my name and phone number and she would check her voicemail and get back to me, also that the phone call would not come from SSA but may show up as a blocked or private number?   Weird I think.   

Trusted Contributor

She first said she got a phone call. The IRS never calls. Now, she says (which is a big difference) that it was a letter from the IRS.

As it is stated, within three weeks of when you are expected to get your payment, you will be getting a follow up letter, with information to call if there was any problem or issue with your payment.

People need to be careful what they write. she first made it sound like they called her when, indeed, the number she was referring to was in the letter.

Periodic Contributor

I fially got through to a person  at the SSA.  The phone number is a legit phone number:)

Thank you, KayonaL, for following through with answering your own question.  I also was curious about the same number.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP