Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

EIP amount

According to all the calculators I was supposed to receive $1,200 for the EIP. I received less than $250. I have not found a way to ask why. Websites and phone menus have given me only general information. Where can I find out why I received the amount I did?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There were only a few reasons why the Economic Impact Payment would be lower than $ 1200 for those eligible to receive one.

1.  Income Limit - Once your income goes over $ 75,000 based on the tax return that was used to compute it, it starts being reduced and complete phases out  at $ 99,001 (double that if MFJ.  Those with the tax classification of Head of Household have other limits.

Here is the chart from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/how_do_I_calculate_my_eip.pdf 

Screenshot_2020-06-29 how_do_I_calculate_my_eip pdf.png2.  Back Child Support - that's the other reason that the $1200 EIP could be reduced.

3.  Now once it reaches your bank account, it isn't protected from any garnishments that could be waiting to jump on it. 

IRS.gov - Here’s why some people’s Economic Impact Payment is different than expected 

from the link:

The Economic Impact Payment is automatic for eligible people who filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019. They're also automatic for those who aren't required to file a tax return but who receive:

• Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits.
  • Railroad Retirement benefits.
  • Supplemental Security Income.
  • Veterans Affairs benefits.

People who receive less than expected can go to IRS.gov and review this chart (PDF) to check the payment they should receive. It has examples that use filing status and income to calculate the payment amount.

Here are some common things that help explain what may have happened:

• The taxpayer hasn't filed a 2019 tax return, and their payment was based on the 2018 return. This could also be the case if the IRS has not finished processing the 2019 return.
  • The qualifying child is not under the age of 17. For purposes of the payment, the child's age is how old they are at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment amount. If a dependent is 17 or older, they don't qualify for the additional $500. This includes a parent or other relative, and college students.
  • The Economic Impact Payment was offset by past-due child support. While this is the only offset that can affect the payment amount, federal law allows creditors to garnish a payment once it's deposited into a bank account.

In many instances, eligible taxpayers who received a payment that was smaller than expected may get an additional amount early next year when they file their 2020 federal income tax return.

Anyone with questions about the payment can visit the Economic Impact Payments Information Center. It has answers to questions about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, and when to expect it.

==========================  end copy and past from link ~

Unless you want to give more specifics - this general info is all that I can offer.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP