Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

bank won't reimburse fraudulent checks

Contributor

bank won't reimburse fraudulent checks

Mu sister was a victim of stolen checks that were cashed by her bank. The bank admitted fraud but won't reimburse her. It's $17,000 and she needs that money for home care as she is an elderly Alzheimer's patient. Is there anything that she can do?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was scammed on coinyee as well in bitcoin investment over $95k and I was able to get back my money through the help of
adoyleforensic-ltd.com

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

When it 1st happened,

• someone who is looking after her affairs should have contacted the bank - they would have acted and prevented these checks from being honored.
  • The next action should have been to file a police report. 
  • From there, depending upon her Homeowner Insurance policy elected coverage - some will cover a set amount for this and other things - I think the standard, without more added coverage, is about $ 25,000.  Check the policy or talk to the agent.

Checks can also be stolen out of ones own mailbox or even a USPS mailbox.  Then the criminals take the info off the checks and create their own - happens a lot with businesses.    

There are consumer protections with a fraudulent credit card transaction - the appropriate action for checks is all on the owner.  The bank may help her build a case - against the perpetrator or with the insurance company, if she has such coverage, but the money is gone.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I am saddened to read this @PhilipG265000 . My first action would be to file a police report; this has happened before here in Las Vegas and that was the only way something helped.

Then contact a Senior Advocate (AARP has recommendations I believe). Then, with the Senior Advocate's advise hire an attorney.

There are terrible people out there; some have stolen money, homes, and identities. Your reporting can help find these criminals...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP