Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

You've Got A Friend - Friend Songs Celebrating Friendship

Conversationalist

You've Got A Friend - Friend Songs Celebrating Friendship

A few days ago marked the birthday of one of my best friends. Though she lives half a continent away, there is great comfort and reassurance in my mind and heart that we are close no matter the time and distance. And when we do get together, we picked up right where we left off, as if no time has passed.

"Close friends contribute to our personal growth. They also contribute to our personal pleasure, making the music sound sweeter, the wine taste richer, the laughter ring louder because they are there." โ€“ Judith Viorst

Some friendships last a lifetime. Other are of a more temporal nature, lasting years to decades. They too are of importance, as they also shape the fabric of our lives, companions on the journey, even if just temporary companions. For those too I am forever grateful.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." โ€“ Dr. Seuss

This weekโ€™s playlist celebrates friendship. Our friends come to mind in memories of mutual moments shared in the past, or in a song, a scent, a place, an activity. If not physically, they are always near in mind and heart. And often that is enough.

โ€œIf I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.โ€ โ€“ Alfred Tennyson

Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment with your friends. Love the moment with your friends. Listen to the MUSIC!

Social Butterfly

Hello-Neil Diamond 

Super Contributor

Old Friends - Simon and Garfunkel

"Old friends
Sat on their park bench
Like bookends"

Honored Social Butterfly

Thatโ€™s a nice playlist, and a great theme for it.

There is another friendship song that tears my heart out. Itโ€™s one of the saddest songs I know. It was written by Hoyt Axton about a friend lost to heroin addiction. It was performed by Steppenwolf as it was a mutual friend of John Kay. So many young artists were lost to this drug, and many others have written about how difficult it was to overcome their own addiction, how it affected their life, and the lives of those around them. The song is Snowblind Friend  by Steppenwolf. 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

Thanks for the support.  Listened to that song (had never heard it before) - so sad.  Too sad to include in my playlist ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Honored Social Butterfly

But on a happier note, my favorite songs on your list are -

Youโ€™re My Best Friend by Queen 

Old Friends by S&G

Youโ€™ve Got A Friend by Carole King / James Taylor 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Great playlist, lots of my favs on there. 

My bff and I have been friends for 56 

years, she has moved pretty far away

but we got together in December for my

BD and picked up where we left off.
True friends are like diamonds, precious 

but rare

Conversationalist

Thanks - had a Beatles offering in there for you with "A Little Help From My Friends" but just added a few more songs, including 2 from Beatle alum McCartney - Wings "Dear Friend" written to John, and Paul's "Friends To Go" channeling George's spirit...

Honored Social Butterfly

Always appreciate a Beatles

song! Along with that and

Youโ€™ve got a friend these are

my fav friend songs from

your list, in no particular order:

Hello old friend, Clapton

Friends, Elton John

Whenever I call you friend,

Kenny Loggins&Stevie Nicks

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP