Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Honored Social Butterfly

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

The 1960's boasts a vast array of music styles and genres throughout the decade. Many genres crossed and blurred lines, and new sub-genres or were created.

Throughout the 60's, we had a variety of pop, rock, Motown / R&B and soul. There were all of those tragedy songs, muscle car songs, and surf songs playing on the radio. Then came The Beatles and the British invasion. Folk music evolved into folk-rock, and Bob Dylan became one of the most influential songwriters of the decade and beyond. Folk music became a popular genre for the counterculture and protest songs (anti-war, civil rights). Folk-rock segued into psychedelic rock and songs of the drug culture. Elvis made a comeback in '68. Later in the decade, progressive rock began to merge various genres and styles, including classical music. And by the end of the decade, blues rock was moving to hard rock and heavy rock territory.

So much happened? What did I miss?

Here's an article that I found for a memory refresher.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60smusic.html

So, what songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist today?

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

@DMAFl  - Don't worry about duplicates if it's on your playlist and you want to include it. Sometimes I will just ditto someone else's list if it matches up closely to my own. It's all about sharing our favorite music, and just having fun.

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Can't believe I missed this one:

Concerto for Group & Orchestra - Deep Purple & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1969)

This was the first live performance of original music for a rock band with orchestra. It wasn't easy, and all of the band were not comfortable with the idea. But Jon Lord had put so much effort into the project, the band agreed to do it, and then moved quickly to release their first hard rock album, Deep Purple in Rock. The professional musicians of the orchestra found it frustrating, but in the end, the conductor pulled them together. The performance was a success and really put Deep Purple on the musical radar. What was considered a novelty at the time, is now mainstream. Everybody does it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Take a letter Maria by RB Greaves 1969

Silver Conversationalist

This is such a fun forum, sometimes I think I see something I love so much that I start believing it was an original idea and throw it out there again! ๐Ÿ™‚

Silver Conversationalist

Little Arrows by Leapy Lee (so cute and catchy).                             

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Didn't see them mentioned yet but might have missed - decent music, a fair number of hits, Badfinger.   Come and Get It, No Matter What, Day After Day, Baby Blue, more.                                                Did see the group mentioned, but not the song,  might have missed: The Tremeloes, Even the Bad Times are Good,. Still puts me in a good mood when I hear it 

Silver Conversationalist

Fantastic topic, love all the posts, most of mine are covered. Great decade for music memories, and what changes! In what got airplay - from Little Brenda Lee to Janis Joplin.            So my answers will be short, I will start with two of my Beatles faves that don't get as much mention as some of their other legendary music.  (1) For You Blue, classic George writing style, and "go, Johnny, go" on that steel guitar and (2) Act Naturally, it was an old,old cover but young Ringo nailed it.

Silver Conversationalist

I still have more to add to the list: "Ride my See Saw".                         Tuesday Afternoon.                         Black is Black .                                Uptight (Everything is Alright).                                                  Like a Rolling Stone .                      Put a Little Love in your Heart. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The Yardbirds

For your love- 1964

Heart full of soul- 1965

Shapes of things- 1966

Honored Social Butterfly

Lovin' Spoonful

Do you believe in magic

Did you ever have to make up your mind

Summer in the city

Day dream

You didn't have to be so nice

Honored Social Butterfly

In the Christmas Spirit

Sleigh Ride- Ronettes 1963

Little Saint Nick- Beach Boys 1964

What Christmas means to me- Stevie Wonder 1967

Christmas Song- Jethro Tull 1968

Honored Social Butterfly

The Zombies

Time of the season

She's not there

Tell her no

Summertime

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT 

@Wasn't Eddie Holman's song titled "Hey There Lonely Girl"?

Honored Social Butterfly

Paul Revere&the Raiders

Kicks

Hungry

Good Thing

(I'm not your) stepping stone

Indian Reservation- 1968

Honored Social Butterfly

Gary Lewis& the Playboys- 1965

This diamond ring

Save your heart for me

She's just my style

Count me in

Regular Social Butterfly

One of my favorite solo artists was Ricky Nelson. Used to watch the TV show "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" in the early 50's and 60's starring his mother and father, Harriet and Ozzie, and his brother David. Unfortunately, Ricky passed away at the age of 45 in an airplane accident on New Years Eve, December 31, 1985. Ricky was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame in 1987.

His 60's hits included:

Down Home 1963

Fools Rush In 1963

For You 1963

Gypsy Woman 1963

Hello Mary Lou 1961 (one of my favorites)

I Can't Help It 1960

I'm A Truck Drivin' Man 1966

I'm In Love Again 1963

I'm Not Afraid 1960

I Will Follow You 1963

It's Up To You 1962

Legend In My Time1963

My Blue Heaven 1965

Mystery Train 1967

Nearness Og You 1964

Stop Sneakin' 'Round 1962

String Along 1963

Summertime 1962

Teenage Idol 1962

Thank You Darlin' 1962

That's All She Wrote 1963

Todays Teardrops 1962

Traveling Man 1961 (another of my favorites)

Very Thought Of You 1964

Wonder Like You 1961

Yes Sir That's My Baby 1963

You Are The Only One 1960

Young Emotions 1960

Young World 1962

Got all of these off my ipod which I listen to every day. Never listen to the radio as the songs they

play today can't compare to the songs of the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Bought my first 45 in 1954,

"Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets. Great times, Great Music.

Honored Social Butterfly

1965- Another great year

Lies- Knickerbockers

Laugh Laugh- Beau Brummels 

Double shot (of my baby's love)-  Swingin' Medallions

Friday on my mind- Easybeats

Down in the boondocks- Billy Joe Royal

Honored Social Butterfly

Johnny Rivers

Mountain of love

Maybellene

Midnight Special

Seventh Son 1965

Secret agent man

Poor side of town

Baby I need your lovin' 1967

Summer rain 1968

Honored Social Butterfly

You talk too much- Joe Jones 1960

Mother-in-law- Ernie K. Doe 1961

Green Onions- Booker T&the MG's 1962

Denise- Randy&the Rainbows 1963

Time of the season- Zombies 1964

Heart full of soul- Yardbirds 1965

Gimme some lovin'- Spencer Davis Group 1966

Apple, peaches, pumpkin pie- Jay&the Techniques 1967

Tighten up- Archie Bell&the Drells 1968

Hey there lonely girl- Eddie Holman 1969

Trusted Contributor

every thing from abba to zz top , 60's and 70's music is the best. love the beatles.

Social Butterfly

My all time favorite is What'd I Say by the genius of Ray Charles.  1960

Contributor

Everything Beetles!

Jim Morrison 

The Who

Eric Burden and the Animals

Trusted Contributor

Two classic songs from the 1960โ€™s come to mind that make me smile every time I hear them.  The first one โ€œSave the Last Dance for Meโ€ makes me think of my husband who had absolutely no rhythm although he never hesitated to get out on the dance floor. I finally suggested that we take Ballroom Dancing. We had so much fun and he actually made some progress, but whenever we were at a venue where others were dancing, heโ€™d resort to his usual stomping like a farmer trying to put out a grass fire. The other song that reminds me of him is โ€Ainโ€™t No Mountain High Enoughโ€ that we frequently sang as a duet, especially in the car, and to the top of our lungs. My sweet husband loved, loved, loved to sing, but he couldnโ€™t carry a tune in a bucket. Sadly, he passed away prematurely at age 55. I miss my dancing partner and songbird, but I also know that he would say to me: "Don't cry because it's overSmile because it (we) happened."  -- Dr. Seuss

Regular Contributor

I was and am a huge fan of Elvis.  My absolute favorite is "Welcome to My World.". Also on my daily list are

"Suspicious Minds" and "How Great Thou Art.". Unbelievably, his only Grammys were for gospel.  I believe Elvis was recognized for "Are You Lonesome Tonight" this year.  I feel he was and is the greatest singer of all time.  I watch the Hallmark movies made at Graceland, but they can't hold a candle to him even though Priscilla makes a cameo appearance.

I also listen daily to the Beatles, especially "Yesterday" and love the history as Paul McCartney tells it.

Also listen daily to Neil Diamond, Aretha Franklin as well as the Beach Boys.

What a great time to grow up.  The kids today should have been so blessed.

Periodic Contributor

My four favorites - all from my college years are: Hey Jude (Beatles), Both Sides Now (Judy Collins), Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding), and Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond). Terrific memories.

Conversationalist

Both Sides Now: A very good choice: Judy Collins had (has) the perfect voice for that song.

Contributor

Light My Fire & Riders on the Storm by the Doors, Innagaddavida by Iron Butterfly, All Around the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. 

Trusted Contributor

These are only some of my favorites:

Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher - Jackie Wilson

Oye Como Va - Santana

96 Tears - ? and the Mysterians

Good Lovin' - The Rascals

Stay - Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Wear Your Love Like Heaven - Donovan

Love Her Madly - The Doors

Time of the Season - The Zombies

This Old Heart of Mine - The Isley Brothers

Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful

Bang a Gong - T-Rex

Periodic Contributor

We Gotta Get out of This Place plus any of the 1960s anti-war songs (I lost family members and friends during and after Vietnam). I was not against the military, only the idiots in Foggy Bottom.

Conversationalist

War (What Is It Good For): Edwin Starr - 1969

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP