Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you remember about Woodstock?

Message 1 of 31

I remember not knowing a thing about it happening!  I had just graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado, left the main gate there on my Honda 350 motorcycle, and took off on a SW U.S. solo journey to flush out of my system some not-so-pleasant memories of my cadet years.  Gradually, over the ensuing years, I came to enjoy the Woodstock music, choosing in 1999 to attend the 30th anniversary event at the original site, with my oldest daughter Anala.  She grew up loving the 60's music.  At that event, we enjoyed  Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens, Leslie West (Mountain), Rick Danko (The Band), Melanie, Country Joe, and finally, David Crosby, leaving after he sang just one song from Woodstock, instead doing lots of tunes that he and his son had composed together.  Not the same as the 60's!   We left--about 1 a.m.--as I had to work that day.  We missed seeing Johnny Winter, who performed last.  It was a treat to hear so many original acts at a single event like that.  It drew about 12,000, not quite the half a million who came to the 1969 event.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

@LeeA58905,

Are you signed in when you're trying to use the kudos button? Are you still having problems? If so, is it for just this thread, or in any forum? It seems fine for me now. Maybe just a temporary issue over the weekend?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

Kudos button isn't working - I agree with you on the drugs & music. Music was the most important to me and the anti-war theme that I felt. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 31

Lee Augustine August 2, 2015  Someone asked for people’s memories of the Woodstock festival: Oh yes, I remember Woodstock. I got there Friday afternoon or was it Saturday? Richie Havens was playing or maybe it was John Sebastian. I found some friends from home and we stayed together for most of the next two or three days. The first night it began raining and poring while Joan Baez was playing or perhaps it was Melanie. I hooked up with a girl named Mary or Marie I think. We went back to my car but I forget exactly what it was that we did. We made some coffee or tea and some instant oatmeal or pop tarts on a fire and went back to the site. The music was great that much is certain. I will never forget it. I went home a little early to see the first Jets-Giants football game or did I stay and watch Hendrix? I'm not sure, but it was great. I wonder if Marie or Mary remembers it as well as I do? She was terrific though.

Top of Form

Corwin Croy Lee...I am glad you cleared that up!

Carol Bollin Donnelly I'm too young to hear this

Beth A Orwig-Bowe Ahahahaha..... I'm still crying!!!! 😂😂😂😂

Beth A Orwig-Bowe Abd I took a pic of your post..... I'm keeping it forever.... For 2 reasons.... Whenever I need a good laugh I can read this anytime.... And.... This is the closest I will ever have been to Woodstock! 😊

Benjamin Johnson Good clear solid memories Lee lol

Rebecca Augustine DAD this i did not know all of

Dee Oliver Thanks for those precise lost memories

Mildred Heyward Funny Lee. Lmbo

Lee Augustine Let me tell you Poochie, Marie or Mary remembers me well.

Alex Anastasiadis Is it age that robbed you of those fond memories, or was it the tea?

Ellen Schebilski La Plante I would have gone but I was in kindergarten,LOL!

Suzanne Shelly Eveland What could you have been doing that so clouded your memories??? The "tea"? 😀

Lee Augustine Ok now it’s time to fess up. I was using poetic or editorial license (one of those) in the above in an effort to be funny. I forgot that there are those out there, like faux news treats Obama, eager to see the worst in people (like my cousins Alex and Suzanne). 
I remember my attendance at Woodstock very well. I took only one puff from a joint (of many) that was being passed around, and decided I wouldn’t take any more puffs. Why would you have to get high? Janis Joplin, Grace Slick (drop dead gorgeous Grace Slick for god’s sake), Sly & the Family Stone, the Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Joe Cocker – the list went on and on. So why get high? And I didn’t. 
I did get there Friday afternoon and I’m not sure who was playing because we were so far back you couldn’t hear much. Fortunately for me the two friends I came with gave up and went home allowing me to wade through the bodies alone to get closer to about a football field away where I set up my air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow etc. I was a Boy Scout and was maybe the only one prepared with a toothbrush and clean underwear for the next day. I remember Joan Baez was the last act of the first day (which focused on folk music) when it started to rain. She told the crowd to stay safe & dry and I covered up with the head to toe tarps that I had and went to sleep. 
I woke up the next morning dry and rested. When I looked around there was a sea of mud and maybe 20 people between me and the stage. (a slight exaggeration). Everyone had retreated to the woods and their cars so I was able to walk down to about 30 feet from the stage where I set up again. I walked up to the top of the hill where I did find some friends from home - Penny Waruch, Juergen Wende, Jim Cadenhead and others. I have pictures of some of the Ellenville crowd. We stayed together for most of the next two days. Penny and I did go back to my car where I made a fire and made some instant coffee and instant oatmeal and that was it – I swear (she was cute though). Then we went back to the site. The music was great that much is certain. Different bands played intermittently all day when the rain allowed. That second evening bands played all night straight through. We didn’t sleep – who could? I remember the Who, and Jefferson Airplane at dawn. There were some more bands Sunday and more rain. I will never forget it. I do forget exactly when I left to go home. I had had enough of the rain and wanted to see the first Jets-Giants football game. It was right after the merger of the two leagues with Joe Namath and Fran Tarkington to face off. Yes, I was a fool to leave and miss Hendrix on Monday morning. If anyone knows how to find out when that stupid game was played, let me know, I’d appreciate it. That will tell when I stupidly left the festival. The Woodstock festival was the event of a lifetime – a wonderful experience. It was everything they say and more. It was, in my eyes, a gigantic peace demonstration, with the Viet Nam war raging and all of us against it and many of the bands referring to it and singing about stopping the war (If you want to end war and stuff you gotta sing loud – Arlo Guthrie). The downside, though, was the drugs and all the performers and audience members that died and/or suffered from drugs. I went to a “reunion” concert at Bethel in 1994. I met a guy Keith, who went to the original concert with three friends all doing drugs. He told me that since then due to drugs, one friend had died, one was in jail, one was still on drugs and unemployed and Keith himself was a drug rehab administrator. We wanted to change the world and we tried. We but were not too successful. The war raged on till 1975 with nearly 59.000 dead American soldiers and countless Vietnamese. One of “ours” was chosen president in 2000 and started yet another unjust, needless war. In Iraq he repeated and compounded the mistakes of the 60’s. “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”. He didn’t learn a thing from Woodstock (he wasn’t there) and he didn’t learn a thing from Viet Nam (he wasn’t there either) I still hope that someday “The bombers flying shotgun in the sky (will) turn into butterflies above our nation.” Marie was pretty terrific though.

Suzanne Shelly Eveland Hope you know I was just teasing you about your funny post! Your real story is quite something. It must have been an incredible experience.

Lee Augustine Yes and I was just teasing you and Alex, a cousin from the other side of my family.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

My husband Jim Landry drove from Mt. Vernon, Virginia to Woodstock with his brother Bill and girlfriend Paula in his VW Beetle. In Trenton, New Jersey, they picked up his cousin Tom. They abandoned the car when they hit the traffic jam and walked the last ten miles. They stayed till Sunday but left due to rain and mud before Jimi played. 

With Jim's permission, I borrowed my husband's story for the August chapter on Woodstock in my new novel, ADAMSON'S 1969. If you'd enjoy reading more about that year, here's the synopsis: 

Written as an adventure tale, Nicole Burton's novel Adamson's 1969 is a frolic through the year 1969 as seen through the eyes of a guileless young Englishman, Adamson Henry. Like the characters in the movies Forrest Gump and Zelig, Adamson finds himself caught up in 1969's major historic moments including the Apollo 11 Moon landing, Woodstock, and the massive anti-war protests. Welcome to Adamson's 1969.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

I was born in Catskill when my family lived in Cairo.  I grew up in Albany and had graduated from High School in June of 1969.  I turned 18 a couple of weeks before the Woodstock event and had bought tickets for each of the scheduled days.  I did not attend on Friday but drove down from Albany on Saturday and was amazed at all of the abandoned vehicles on both sides of the roads on my way to Yasgur's farm.  I found a parking space and there was nobody collecting tickets by that time.  A guy was taking a piss on the path to the concert hillside.  Sort of surprised me.  I found a place on the upper right side of the hill and sat there until mid afternoon and enjoyed the music.  Have bought both the triple and double LP records of the performances since then.  When I returned to Albany I tuned into WRPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) which was the most progressive station in the Capital District at that time.  They were dissing the festival because of the reported drug usage.  I called the station and said if you didn't want to do the drugs nobody was forcing you to.  If you were willing to accept drugs from strangers, that was your choice and responsibility.  There was so much weed being smoked that all you had to do was inhale second hand fumes from those sitting around you.  I never got a buzz on from that environment.  I was there for the performers and their music and I enjoyed it.  Will never forget it.  It was an incredible experience.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31

I was there, after Led Zeppelin in Central Park, Moon landing and then walk miles after leaving car, arrived with tickets, but did not need ( wonder where they went?). Then three days of crowds, rain storms, mud and the best music ever made...Do not remember too much more except lots of napping, music, people, first time skinny dipping. The big problem is that once you had a ten foot square for three to four people, you did not dare leave it unless you could find your way back, not easy! But this concert formed my life, hopefully for the best! Peace & Love, Gary

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

Neil and I were probably one of the oldest couples at the evernt,both  in our thirties! We arrived late and had to leave early because of jobs and other responsibilities. Our drive from Woodstock, NY (where we lived) to the festival was easy  as we were a day late. It was a beautiful experience. Music in the rain, then making breakfast in a grassy field, far from the crowd.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

I was 16 yrs old and wanted so bad to go to Woodstock but I knew my parents would kill me. I still regret not going! I watch the movie all the time and still listen to those great bands! Now that was Music!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31

I was a 22 year old 3rd Engineer and a Lt. jg in the USNR working on Vietnam bound ammuniton ships at Port Chicago, California when Woodstock happened. I was living in Oakland at the time, working to pay off my student loan. I did attend the disaster that was Altamont. What a cluster-fugg. Summer of luv!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera