Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you remember about Woodstock?

Message 11 of 31

I was only 12 at the time but my parents took me to see the movie and of course I had the album and when the radio plays those songs it reminds me what took place. I live in the Villages, FL and they printed a whole large section and interviewed a number of residents that were there. Also, they brought in a Jimi Hendrix movie to play the whole week, as well as another movie highlighting the festival and musical groups to play some of the music from that era. What a hoot and a great job from the entertainment group for this community to enjoy and relieve 3 days of peace and love. It's so sad that something like that can't be relived.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

I was 7, so I obviously didn’t go, but my brother did. He was 22 and the only one in our family entrusted to drive our mom’s car.  He was definitely the golden child. Our grandmother lived in Callicoon, which was a stone’s throw from the venue. He told our parents he was going upstate to visit Grandma, a stop he included in the trip, but it was certainly not his primary destination. To my knowledge our parents never found out. Moral of the story: if you’re going to lie to your parents and implicate sweet little Grandma, make it worth the effort and do something spectacular like Woodstock!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

While I didn't attend Woodstock, my best friend did. Since she's no longer alive to tell her story, I'm happy to tell it for her.

Mara was only 14 when her summer camp decided that a field trip to a 3-day music festival at Woodstock was a good idea. It only took one day there, however, for the camp to change its mind. But during that one day, my friend told me, she had one of the most memorable times of her young life.

Despite the hardships while there, she said it was a magical experience when the audience took out their lighters and held the flames up to the night sky in a show of support and appreciation for the artists performing on stage.

Hearing her tell her story, I was envious; I wished at the time I could have been there, too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

My husband, Tim, was one of those naked toddlers running aroung the festival grounds!! He really doesn't remember much unfortunately!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

Max Yasgur:

"The important thing that you've proven to the world is that a half a million kids--and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you--a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I God bless you for it!

August 17, 1969

FIFTY YEARS AGO TODAY

Merely OneTokeOTL
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

I was a junior in a Schenectady high school when my best friend heard about the Woodstock Music Festival and suggested at the last moment we head down there for the weekend. Despite some misgivings from my mother and a massive traffic snarl we made it to the big event. It’s a myth that everyone at Woodstock was on drugs and having wild sex that certainly was not true for us. What I do remember was how kind and patient everyone was, I did not witness a single act of violence or even rudeness. Many of the townspeople in Bethel had even graciously extended their garden hoses to the sidewalks giving festival walkers a source of fresh water.

What might surprise today’s generation was the total lack of cell phones. There were plenty of pay-telephones at the festival but ironically they were all so jam full of dimes that they were inoperable! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

Actually, it's pretty much a blur ... but I do remember deciding to go on the way to Canada for a brief getaway before my husband was to ship out on active duty wth the Navy. Fortunately, we had a few blankets, a plastic dropcloth and a cooler filled with drinks plus a box of food, because supplies at the festival dried up quickly. (Girl Scout experience paid off, ha!) We found a spot under trees, which proved the right idea once the rain started, and that's where we stayed. The Mustang was parked, oh, I'm not sure how far down the road. The music, well, when it started the atmosphere changed: the mood grew more mellow and people  were actually happy ... dancing and lots of laughter and sharing stuff and not sleeping very much because bands were not following the schedule and we didn't want to miss anything. Sure it was dirty and muggy and wet, but still, I can't even now remember feeling more at peace or safer than I did then. Yes, it could've been the herb (a LOT of herb) but there was no fighting, anger, etc. People shared, people helped one another and the farmers were kind and generous. Listen to the soundtrack of the film ~ the music speaks for itself and pulled us together for a brief time. I remember Jimi, Janis, CSN ("We're scared **bleep**less, man!") and all the others. When we somehow left, we were caked with mud, very hungry and ecstatic. Once we got to the car and on the road, I drifted off ... when I woke up we were in a motel outside of Toronto. To this day I have absolutely no idea how we got there or how I got across the border ... groovy. PS:I still have the bellbottoms and fringed leather vest I wore ...9ba4dabebd05de5383771816ca2d6174.jpg2af2c7fda927b5dc6153870a0f552362.jpg

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

STD!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31

In 1969, I wanted to go to Woodstock with my older brother but he got shipped out, so I did the next best thing- daydreaming and catapulted myself there.

I listened to Jimi on his awesome guitar, the man could make you feel somewhere else in a heartbeat.

Then, Janis came on, a most unusual voice that sang over the fields and beyond.  Sad, that she was plagued in drugs.

I listened to Creedence Clearwater Revival, that were a Mecca band for me, getting me thru the high school jail mode.  I always felt I was in jail with high school, so many stupid rules!

I love Jefferson Airplane, loved the singer with another unusual voice!

Santana, a man, on a mission, spreading love and compassion with his guitar.

Joe Cocker, which I loved intensely!  Still have a CD of him.  He sang so beautifully, lots of passion in his voice- You are so Beautiful to Me- can't you seeee!  Your everything to me!  I cry everytime I hear that song, since my husband has gone.

Crosby, Still, Nash and Young, a harmonious group that ever was.  Crosby is on its own with his family still singing and Neil Young with his wild band as well.  Neil Young has another unusual voice and is so talented with many instruments, one of my favorites- the harmonica- it makes me so alive and full of happiness! 

My parents hated their music- it was too loud and noisy, they said.  I told my Dad, like your marching bands, Tchaikovsky, and Frank Sinatra?  They sighed.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

I was just 7 years old at the time and my family were on the New York State Thruway going on vacation to the Adirondack mountains and to see all these massive amounts of people walking to the area was a sight to see!!! Love peace music people were friendly my dad at the time a police officer and I asked him what is going on he said a big concert and I am glad that I am not patrolling !!!! Lol but hopefully that everyone will be on best behavior and no problems!! Tie die flower child looks wow everyone made peace signs to everyone on the road!!!! 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22