Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

Tiptoe through the tulips should be buried.

Periodic Contributor

Who let the dogs out --- I hate this one.

That would be my choice, too.

Periodic Contributor

"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head"

Raindrops are falling on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothing seems to fit
Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling

For years, when I found a music box that I loved and wanted to buy, I'd wind it up and hear that lunatic song. Worse, when I hear it, I can't get it out of my head. Like now.

Regular Contributor

This is one of the greatest pieces of music.

Regular Contributor

Any song ever performed by Kiss, the horrendous faux rock band we should all forget. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@BOBinBR wrote:

Any song ever performed by Kiss, the horrendous faux rock band we should all forget. 

@BOBinBR  Oh no Bob.  Say it isn't so. LOL

0 Kudos
Contributor

'Abracadabra' by Steve Miller Band....An insipid tune from an incredible musician. ''I wanna' reach out and grab ya'...."  UGH!

Regular Contributor

''I wanna' reach out and grab ya'...."  UGH!

---especially in light of today's ever-increasing number of sexual-harassment headlines.

Regular Social Butterfly

@dorkmeyer wrote:

''I wanna' reach out and grab ya'...."  UGH!

Are you talking about Steve Miller's Abra Cadabra?

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for all the responses so far.  Really entertaining 

@c875302b @ed28849526 @smetro @barbarae470981 @jsarnow 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

nyadrn: Fun topic! I've been checking for new replies a couple of times a day/evening. I'm loving the comments. Thanks for starting the thread! -- Patricia
Contributor

Who let the dogs out!!! 

Regular Contributor

woof

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

"(You're) Having My Baby" - an oldie that Paul Anka should NEVER have recorded. Can't dump this one fast enough.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ed28849526 wrote:

"(You're) Having My Baby" - an oldie that Paul Anka should NEVER have recorded. Can't dump this one fast enough.

That's maybe the worst song ever! And I nominate this one as a close second - 

If I Were A Carpenter (and you were a lady, would you marry me anyway, would you have my baby) - Bobby Darin

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Contributor

At least in the song he suggest getting married first. 

Regular Contributor

I was leaving my girlfriends house before going off to the military and "My Baby does the Hanky-Panky was playing on the radio. If I hear this song again, it will be one time too many. John

Regular Contributor

Right---and what subsequently made it much worse was when the drill sergeant made you sing that cadence song with the line "Ain't no use in goin' home, Jody's got your girl an' gone."

Contributor

Anything by Adele!  Way overplayed!

Trusted Contributor

Could do without Que Sera Sera (or whatever) - do not hear much anymore (thankfully!) but when a big hit..oh, boy..!

Honored Social Butterfly

Everything by Barry Manilow Smiley Frustrated

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

retiredtraveler wrote:

Everything by Barry Manilow Smiley Frustrated

Barry is going to be pretty upset when he hears this. He is busy right now.  

He is with "Lola, she is a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She can merengue and do the cha-cha
while she tries to be a star........ get ready for it......... 

At the Copa (copa) Copacabana
(copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (copa) Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa ...
They fell in love (copa)
(copacabana)

Read more: Barry Manilow - Copacabana Lyrics | MetroLyrics

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"....He is with "Lola, she is a showgirl
while she tries to be a star........ get ready for it......... ".

I'm going to shut down my PC. It's infected with the most stupid song I've ever heard next to Tiptoe through the Tulips (Tiny Tim).  It needs a file purge and rest.................

BTW: Blinded by the Light needs to be purged too. Ok, I'm going to now listen the The Planets, by Holst.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

retiredtraveler wrote:

"....He is with "Lola, she is a showgirl
while she tries to be a star........ get ready for it......... ".

I'm going to shut down my PC. It's infected with the most stupid song I've ever heard next to Tiptoe through the Tulips (Tiny Tim).  It needs a file purge and rest.................

BTW: Blinded by the Light needs to be purged too. Ok, I'm going to now listen the The Planets, by Holst.

What.  No kudos?  

I had forgotten Tiptoe.  You are probably right about that one but Blinded by the Light?   Hmmmmm

Havd you forgotten They're Coming to take you away?

https://youtu.be/xyXCkjMBK70

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, "Tiptoe was stupid...still think for sheer stupidity a line like "I left my cake out in the rain..." etc. from MacArthur Park is the dumbest by far, however.  Just sayin'!

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

I had forgotten Tiptoe.  You are probably right about that one but Blinded by the Light?   Hmmmmm

Havd you forgotten They're Coming to take you away?

https://youtu.be/xyXCkjMBK70

Tiptoe deserves to be buried and forgotten! I believe it's been retired, and I hope no one ever tries to revive it!

I do remember They're Coming to Take Me Away (ha ha). It was retired, with good reason, for being politically incorrect, of course.

The songs that usually tire me are show tunes. I'm not a big fan of either film or Broadway musicals to begin with, so I don't care for most of the music that goes along with them. There are a few exceptions (Memory from Cats is one), but they can canister most of them for my part!

On the other hand, I would never consider retiring a Beatles song, or songs like Imagine by John Lennon. In fact, I think Imagine is as appropriate for today's world as it was when it was written.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Contributor

How is They're Coming to Take Me Away (ha ha),  politically incorrect? It's just a song!

Honored Social Butterfly

@wmslc1961 wrote:

How is They're Coming to Take Me Away (ha ha),  politically incorrect? It's just a song!

It was heavily criticized for making light of mental illness, and many stations quit playing it for that reason.

Honored Social Butterfly

80's disco

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP