Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Retire?

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta - I like show tunes; at least for the older shows where you can actually remember the music & lyrics years later! Like "To Dream the Impossible Dream", from "Man of La Mancha".

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

I agree! they just don't write them like they used to! That's what makes a great song a standard. You can appreciate the music and lyrics.
Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

@MaVolta - I like show tunes; at least for the older shows where you can actually remember the music & lyrics years later! Like "To Dream the Impossible Dream", from "Man of La Mancha".

@EveRH - Yes, Man of La Mancha is another exception for me. I especially like I Don Quixote, as well as The Impossible Dream and Little Bird Little Bird.

Man of La Mancha and Cats are my two favorites from the musicals genre. There were musical tours that came through here many years ago, so I was able to see both of them. 

As you mentioned in your earlier post, people naturally gravitate to the music they like, and avoid what they do not. There are some modern tunes that I hear while out shopping that I have come to enjoy, and others that I hope never to hear again!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

OMG!  "Man of La Mancha" (which I like) made me think of "MacArthur Park" - stupidest song, ever...!

Honored Social Butterfly

Pretty much anything by Coldplay. They just bore me to tears. I don't know why.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

not the original singer!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

patrickk964312 wrote:
not the original singer!

Not what original  singer?   What are you responding to?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Frank's version or Donna's?

Honored Social Butterfly

This is probably on several lists and is another of my nominees

Wreckx-N-Effect* - Rump Shaker

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

This is probably on several lists and is another of my nominees

Wreckx-N-Effect* - Rump Shaker

I don't know that one, but safe to say, I won't venture to find out!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

I can do without another - Macarena.

Honored Social Butterfly

Conversationalist

Did you know "blinded by the light" was written by Bruce Springsteen?
Honored Social Butterfly

"Human  Behavior"  by  Bjork  only  because  it  is  the  worst  song  I  ever  heard.  Lousy  vocals  along  with  a  lousy  rhythm  and  melody.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ls1873 wrote:

"Human  Behavior"  by  Bjork  only  because  it  is  the  worst  song  I  ever  heard.  Lousy  vocals  along  with  a  lousy  rhythm  and  melody.

Wow this is a great topic !  You all are making me laugh. 😀

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

>>

OK. I enjoy NPR but this is kind of a dumb topic imho.  Maybe they should just ask what songs are over played but isn't that the whole idea of songs.  Unless of course you mean like in commercials.  But anyway, what's your take?

Trusted Contributor

There is this Farm Fresh (a grocery store for those who don't have this chain in their area) where every time, I swear EVERY time I walked in the store they were playing "American Pie" throughout the store...uncanny...!  Got my American Pie fix forever from that experience!

Honored Social Butterfly

This reminds me of the scene in "Sex and The City", where Miranda is upset that Carrie is going to Paris to be with her Russian artist boyfriend, giving Carrie all the reasons she "shouldn't" go. Carrie says, "Just say it, you don't like him!" Miranda responds, "Fine, I don't like him!" And Carrie ends the conversation with, "Then don't you go to Paris with him."

If people don't like "old" songs of any era, then they can just not listen to them, and avoid stations that tend to play songs of that era/genre! They don't need to "retire" songs they personally don't like, or think are passe, because the rest of us might like them! God knows, My car & home radios are tuned to classical music stations, which almost by definition play "old" music .. and that's exactly why some of us listen to them .. specifically!

I happen to like hearing some of those meaningful songs of past years once in a while, and sometimes I wonder why we don't hear more of them .. because they not only have meaningful lyrics, but remind us of important times in our lives. Would I want to hear any song very frequently .. NO .. and that includes new & popular ones.

Honored Social Butterfly

The only song that comes to mind for me is "The Battle of New Orleans".  When I was in high school I got a part time job at a Woolworths store that was just opening in our neighborhood.  It was at the height of this song's popularity and they had it blasting all over the store.  I think that must have been the only record in the department.  To this day I want to throw something at the sound of it.  Luckily that doesn't happen often these days.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP