Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Songs Could Go on a Cross-Generational Playlist?

Retired Community Manager

What Songs Could Go on a Cross-Generational Playlist?

Todayโ€™s high schoolers and their grownup counterparts reminisce with lyrics and try to sing favorite songs. What music do teens and parents have in common? Lady Gaga? Boyz II Men? โ€œTwinkle, Twinkle, Little Starโ€?

What songs could go on a cross-generational playlist?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Most any song by the genius, Ray Charles!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Livin on a Prayer  -  Bon Jovi

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Born This Way by Lady Gaga

Imagine by John Lennon

Who Knew by Pink

Tie A Yellow Ribbon by Tony Orlando & Dawn

One Tin Soldier by Coven

Timothy by The Buoys

Stupid Girl by Pink

Don't Stop Believing by Journey

I could think of a lot more if I took the time but these are off the top of my head.

99% of the list I would have choosed. Except Imagine, during these times I happen to like the re-make Streisand did on her new Walls. Don't Stop Believin'!

Chris
0 Kudos
Contributor

Scott Joplin old rag music,any of it

0 Kudos

Born to run

0 Kudos
Contributor

QUEEN of generations of music!

u2: greatest hits

hozier Essentials

chris Stapleton

lady Gaga

pretenders

prince

paul McCartney:Wings over America

Bruno Mars

white Keys

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My house has three generations living together, the youngest is 14 and the oldest is 67.  Each night at dinner (yes we eat dinner together every night) we take turns selecting music.  Sometimes we aren't thrilled with the selection, but we do agree not to judge and enjoy the music.  It is amazing what range of genre we go through from classical music and opera, to international music, pop, rock and folk as well as country, bluegrass, and anything else you can think of.  My only thing is when I get told that they want to listen to "oldies" from the 90's.

For me the playlist would have to include the original Mickey Mouse Club open and close themes.  That brings back memories.

Contributor

Keeping the Faith by Bills Joel

0 Kudos
Contributor

Naughty Girl by Mac Davis

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

For me and my family here are a few songs we all groove too: Imagine by John Lennon, Everyday People by Sly and the Family Stone, Believer by Imagine Dragons, Born this Way by Lada Gaga, Stand and Deliver by Mister Mister, Arlington by The Waillin Jennies, Bring me to Life by Evanescence and finally Hurt by Johnny Cash. We've jumped around, danced, cried, and shared all these songs together. I'm sure I could come up with more but you get the point, we use music to unite our family across generations with songs that universally talk about the big concepts of what makes us human.  

Conversationalist

Every generation has their "own" music, so to speak.  I grew up in the '50s but our household listened to all kinds of music, from Hank Williams to Elvis

, from Big Band Glenn Miller to classical.  The '60s had the British invasion and I loved much of the music that came from there, Moody Blues, Rolling Stones, Loving Spoonful!  If you were to try to mix your music with the younger generation, you might have Imagine Dragons, Ed Sheeran, and Katy Perry!  Even great older singers such as Tony Bennett duetted with pop singers (Lady Gaga was divine!) which shows that even today's singers recognize good music from any generation.

Honored Social Butterfly

I think it depends on the kid. My 17 year old loves Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Fleetwood Mac. He also loves country music. But he hates the Beatles ( a bone of contention with me as I am a huge fan)  But my adult boys are all Country Lovers so they donโ€™t really like anything I like in the classic rock department.

Honored Social Butterfly

That's an interesting question. I also listen to a lot of classic rock, especially British rock. What I've noticed on YouTube is a lot of young people discovering bands from the late 60's, 70's, and into the 80's. There are a lot of comments that say "this music is great" or " why don't we have music like this?" We were so fortunate to have so many talented musicians and song writers to grow up with. 

And then, look at the longevity of bands like the Rolling Stones who appeal to all ages. Recently, Deep Purple commented on how their audience changed from being a sea of gray hair to having crowds of young people in front of the stage. They were blown away by it. 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP