Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Play Something SWEET - Songs with the word Sweet in their title

Conversationalist

Play Something SWEET - Songs with the word Sweet in their title

On April 17, 1971 all 4 Beatles had solo singles in the UK charts with “Power To The People” by John, “Another Day” by Paul, “My Sweet Lord” by George, and “It Don’t Come Easy” by Ringo.  It seems appropriate with Easter falling on April 17th this year to feature a playlist containing the song “My Sweet Lord” with Lord connecting with the religious aspect of the holiday, and Sweet to the secular celebration with the Easter Bunny and candy.  The theme of the playlist is songs containing the word “Sweet” in their title.

Harrison’s song was the first solo No.1 by a former Beatle.  The song actually is not a reference to the Judeo-Christian God Yaweh but instead is in celebration of the Hindu god Krishna.  “My Sweet Lord” became the target of a copyright infringement lawsuit due to similarities to the 1963 Chiffons hit “He’s So Fine”. Harrison denied intentionally plagiarizing, though admitted to subconsciously lifting some of the melody was possible.  He admitted to borrowing some melodic lines from the out-of-copyright Christian hymn “Oh Happy Day.”  Check out videos on the blog to be the judge.

While a few songs on the playlist don’t include the word “Sweet” in their title or lyrics, they seemed appropriate to include, for as a child, to me they were the epitome of sweets and treats.  I looked forward to watching “Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory” every year when it came on TV, back in the day before streaming, Blu-ray, DVD, and even VCR tapes.  I actually played Charlie in our 5th grade class production of “Charlie & The Chocolate Factory,” perhaps because I was the smallest kid in my class!

And check out the blog to learn about the history of the Red Sox adopted anthem “Sweet Caroline.”

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life.  Live in the moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Love the moment.  Listen to the SWEET MUSIC!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/play-something-sweet-sweet-songs/

Bronze Conversationalist

The Sweetest Taboo  - Sade

---->  Sade - The Sweetest Taboo (lyrics) - YouTube

😎

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sweets For My Sweet by the Drifters

I prefer How Sweet It Is by Junior Walker

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My condolences on the loss of your sweet pup. Pets are so precious to us, and we miss them when they have to leave us behind. 

Another fine play list, today. My only additions are Sweet Hitch-hiker, CCR, and Sweet Dreams, Emmylou Harris (Patsy Cline cover).

About My Sweet Lord, I have always thought that someone should have had George’s back on that one. Even if George didn’t realize how the two songs were so similar, someone at the record label, producer, whatever, should have caught it. It was just too obvious to miss. The Beatles always had each other’s backs if their songs started to sound like a copy of something else. They were always careful about that.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Thanks.  Added CCR, Emmylou and Patsy, though have to decide which one to keep - both are good 😉

As for George and similarities, there are so many songs with so many similarities, it's hard to avoid, if not just fully lifted, I say let it be - think of bass line from Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 and Led Zeppelin's Baby I'm Gonna Leave You, or guitar line from Clapton's Wonderful Tonight and Lionel Richie's Stuck On You - pretty much identical.  If truly lifted, need permission/rights, pay royalties (like Billy Joel's This Night - was I was listening to it, picked up Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata in chorus (which he gives credit in album notes).  I feel it's different enough to not warrant any plagiarism allegation, but that's just me.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@WilliamS68311 - Yes, I get that, it was quite common, ripping off a line, or a riff. But most would change it up a little. George said that had he realized it, he would have changed up a few notes. It ended up costing George north of $1.5m, plus credits.
But don’t get me started on Led Zep. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant knew exactly what they were doing. It’s almost like they wanted to see what they could get by with. Led Zep ended up paying back royalties for Babe I’m Gonna LeaveYou, plus credits to the original songwriter. They became notorious for their plagiarism.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Great playlist! Would have to add two more:

Sweet City Woman, Stampeders

Sail away sweet Sister, Queen

PS Sorry to hear about your dog, I’m a

big dog lover and it’s heartbreaking when

they pass on 😪

Conversationalist

OMG - hadn't heard Sweet City Woman in probably 40 years!  Had forgotten all about it.  Added the songs.  Thanks.  This playlist is getting pretty long!!!

Thought you'd appreciate the big Beatles tie in with all 4 former Beatles on the charts at the same time...  Initially had Fab 4's Sweet Little Sixteen cover, but felt I had to give Chuck Berry his props...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Always enjoy anything to do with the

Fab 4️⃣ That is an amazing statistic!

And the nod to Chuck Berry was the

right call 👍

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Sweet Home Alabama, and Kisses Sweeter Than Wine...

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Had to decide which version of Sweeter Than Wine - writer was Jimmie Rogers, whose version I ultimately like the best, though Weavers first sang it, and Peter, Paul & Mary covered as well as Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt, all good...

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP