Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Beatle fans

are most of you out there Beatle fans?

Honored Social Butterfly

Mary McCartney’s new documentary about Abbey Road Studios, “If These Walls Could Sing,” streaming on Disney+. Here is an article about it from USA Today ….

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/12/16/if-these-walls-could-sing-abbey-road-b...

Looks like I’ll be signing on for a month of Disney+ again! 😎

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

Been a fan since ‘64 and still my favorite band. Reading book The Lyrics by Paul McCartney. 

Honored Social Butterfly

If you have Netflix and haven't seen this already, check out the documentary, George Harrison: Living in the Material World. It's an award winning film by Martin Scorsese, and runs almost 3-1/2 hours. The first segment covers a lot of The Beatles as a group, with the last 2/3s covering George and his life post Beatles. It's an excellent film and it's easy to watch in segments. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

Sad Story: My dad hated the Ed Sullivan Show, so I think we were the only family in America not watching him introduce the Beatles that night. I think we must have watched Green Acres instead. 😂 I know I was the only kid in my class the next day who wasn't raving about the Beatles. 🤷‍♀️

Favorite Song: Tie between Norwegian Wood & Here, There & Everywhere. Or ... maybe Blackbird or Here Comes the SunYou're all right, it's impossible!

Recommendation: The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas. It's fantastic! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Just found this posting. I can remember February 9, 1964 watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show on my parents black and white tv. Even as a young girl,  I was smitten with them right away. All these years later that hasn’t changed. I loved them all but most especially Paul- he adorned my wall of my bedroom growing up and I remember being crushed the day he married Linda. I also was grief stricken the day the band broke up. After over 50 years of their music, their messages are fresh and original and still hold true today. No other group will ever have the body of work they have!

Social Butterfly

nyadrn wrote:

Thank you for sharing this .. and on another note   that is my birthday Woman Happy

You have an auspicious birthday! Mine is 4/16, we should partySmiley Happy

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Social Butterfly

To me, anything after 1990 is new music. Once on awhile I find some good songs out there;

I Hate My Life

-- Theory of a Dead Man

Strange name but the band can really rock.

Tennessee Whiskey

-- Chris Stapleton

This is what a ballad sounds like.

Rehab

-- Amy Winehouse

She died at 27 like so many of the best.

3 Am

-- Matchbox 20

Touching song from a touching life.

The Middle

-- Jimmy Eat World

Great Rockin' chorus.

-- Anna Kendrick
Social Butterfly

MaVolta wrote:

"The Beatles catalog of music is considered one of the most valuable in the world." 

That statement is doubly powerful because music companies complain they make very little from the catalogues of today's musicians. As an example, Mariah Carey and her vaunted 5 octave range seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11c_wSqOdM. I have nothung against Mariah Carey. The girl sings like an angel. But while millions of people buy her albums when released, almost no on will buy those albums 2 years later. Why? Because she chose to make the quick bucks singing bubble gum music. No innovation. Nothing that broke new ground. No songs of lasting, relevant social or political value.

By contrast, 10 years after the Beatles broke up in 1970, the White Album (The Beatles) was remastered and rereleased in 1980 and immediatly went to number 1 on the charts.  When the Beatles Box Set of CDs was released in 2009. it was responsible for one third of ALL iTunes sales for at least a week. 

Do I have to tell the story of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of Moon album and its refusal to fall off the charts for decades? Surely everyone's heard of that story.

Bands today, I'm not saying they're not good, some are excellent, but for some reason they can't match the long term success of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, et.al.

-- Anna Kendrick
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

"The Beatles catalog of music is considered one of the most valuable in the world." 

That statement is doubly powerful because music companies complain they make very little from the catalogues of today's musicians. As an example, Mariah Carey and her vaunted 5 octave range seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11c_wSqOdM. I have nothung against Mariah Carey. The girl sings like an angel. But while millions of people buy her albums when released, almost no on will buy those albums 2 years later. Why? Because she chose to make the quick bucks singing bubble gum music. No innovation. Nothing that broke new ground. No songs of lasting, relevant social or political value.

By contrast, 10 years after the Beatles broke up in 1970, the White Album (The Beatles) was remastered and rereleased in 1980 and immediatly went to number 1 on the charts.  When the Beatles Box Set of CDs was released in 2009. it was responsible for one third of ALL iTunes sales for at least a week. 

Do I have to tell the story of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of Moon album and its refusal to fall off the charts for decades? Surely everyone's heard of that story.

Bands today, I'm not saying they're not good, some are excellent, but for some reason they can't match the long term success of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, et.al.

Very well said!!    and a pretty impossible task.. to define what makes these Bands what they were...    an intangible combination of personalities and talent, which was separate and equal among the members and put together.. just a whole level above.   How many times have I watched and listened to The Song Remains the Same with the same awe and enthusiasm as I had the first time  and none of them still performing together.  It does say a lot for The Stones..

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit - I tend to agree with you about most music today. I hardly ever buy anything new. It's here today, forgotten tomorrow. What's more, it's amazing that millenials, or generation Y, and also generation Z, are very familiar with the bands of the 60's and 70's. That music continues to be covered by many artists of their generations today. Those from our generation, like Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, etc, who are still touring, continue to draw young people.

Conversationalist

Are The Beatles really The Beatles without Ringo?  Of course not and that’s what makes it impossible to have a favorite.  Take anyone of those 4 lads out of the equation and what are we left with?  And let’s not forget how important that 5th Beatle was.

Favorite Beatles song, easy:

“... There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy...

All you need is love... “

Social Butterfly

John Lennon was my favorite, no question. McCartney was the showman, but Lennon was the rocker, he was the screamer.

The favorite Beatle thing detracts from the fact that the overwhelming, history making, record setting, innovative success of the Beatles was achieved as a band. The Fab Four. Best Rock'n'Roll band ever.

April 4th 1964

" The Fab Four locked up the Hot 100's entire top five: No. 1, "Can't Buy Me Love" / No. 2, "Twist and Shout" / No. 3, "She Loves You" / No. 4, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" / No. 5, "Please Please Me"

www.billboard.com

-- Anna Kendrick
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit wrote:

John Lennon was my favorite, no question. McCartney was the showman, but Lennon was the rocker, he was the screamer.

The favorite Beatle thing detracts from the fact that the overwhelming, history making, record setting, innovative success of the Beatles was achieved as a band. The Fab Four. Best Rock'n'Roll band ever.

April 4th 1964

" The Fab Four locked up the Hot 100's entire top five: No. 1, "Can't Buy Me Love" / No. 2, "Twist and Shout" / No. 3, "She Loves You" / No. 4, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" / No. 5, "Please Please Me"

www.billboard.com

Thank you for sharing this .. and on another note   that is my birthday Woman Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

The Beatles catalog of music is considered one of the most valuable in the world. Last year, Sir Paul finally regained the copyright to the catalog in a private settlement with Sony Music, just a few days before his 75th birthday. He must have had quite a birthday party last summer! 

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/paul-mccartney-beatles-rights-win/

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

The Beatles catalog of music is considered one of the most valuable in the world. Last year, Sir Paul finally regained the copyright to the catalog in a private settlement with Sony Music, just a few days before his 75th birthday. He must have had quite a birthday party last summer! 

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/paul-mccartney-beatles-rights-win/

Boy that is for sure!!   and what a catalog it is!

Honored Social Butterfly

@mf1601 wrote:

Absolutely!! Loved the music then, still love it today.

Honored Social Butterfly

@mf1601 wrote:

OK   so ..   favorite Beatle?  favorite Beatle song?  Woman Happy

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

@mf1601 wrote:

Oh dear! I'd have to say -

Favorite Beatle - Sir Paul (though I loved them all)

Favorite song(s) - Let It Be and In My Life

And you?

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

@mf1601 wrote:

@nyadrn  I'm interested in your answer to your own question. 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mf1601 wrote:

@nyadrn  I'm interested in your answer to your own question. 🙂

John and George are my favorites!  John especially and 

Yesterday and While My Guitar Gently Weeps Heart

Yours?

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn  You know what? I've tried to narrow down my fave Beatle song and just can't. Whatever song is on, I guess, is my fave Beatles song. 🙂

I adored the Band on the Run album and listened to it every day for over a year. The Plastic Ono Band also got lots of play time as did anything George Harrison was part. Likewise, I listened to tons of Ringo Starr's music. Still, the one and only fan letter I ever wrote was to John Lennon, and I still can tear up when I think about our loss of him. We four girls sang Beatles songs as if it was homework, and so I was assigned a Beatle by my sisters. They didn't want George, so they gave him to me. He became my favorite. Probably.

Wait. Ringo came out with the first string of hits. Who could forget this one?

This is probably my fave Ringo Starr song:

Unless this is:

I give up. 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, yeah, I guess so. I mean, my older sisters were big fans, so I heard and learned all the songs and the harmonies. I think I was far more into the individual efforts than the group, but then I'm kinda a youngun at 58, too.

Social Butterfly

DBEATLS.jpg

-- Anna Kendrick
Conversationalist

Yup.  Dead Head too.  Channels 18 and 23 on the Sirius dial.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP