Think about it  and
lets talk : )

Diane

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I had this one long ago - Grateful Dead Europe 72

19721105_0648

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A great work of art by Stanley Mouse - the same guy (along with Alton Kelley) who did the Skeleton & Roses posters, Terrapin Station album cover, etc. A national treasure.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

That's one thing I miss about vinyl LPs. They always/usually had a lot extra/more things included with the album than with CDs/digital. For example, I had a 2-record boxed album by Donovan called A Gift From A Flower To A Garden that included a complete drawing on its own sheet paper for each song from one of the discs. It was good. You don't get those extras with digital.

And it was interesting to examine the artwork on the covers to albums like One Fine Morning by Lighthouse. I miss that stuff.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Dear "d" - thanks for your reply. While I agree that there has been less emphasis on the packaging of music products over the past 10-20 years, good work continues to be done and there continue to be shows in museums and galleries that put great album art on display. If you check out the monthly news summary on the Album Cover Hall of Fame.com site, you'll see that there are always things happening that should be of interest to any fan of music and art.

You brought up the Donovan package (A Gift to a Flower...) and I wanted to share a link to an interview article I did a number of years ago with the photographer that created the wonderful shots found on that package - Karl Ferris. He also did several album covers for Jimi Hendrix that you've probably seen - http://rockpopgallery.typepad.com/rockpop_gallery_news/2008/02/cover-story---j.html  

In addition, I recently interviewed Donovan's daughter, who has a clothing company that features some of her Dad's record cover art on it, and I'll be including that interview in a book I'm working on, so please visit my site from time to time and you'll find a lot of related things to read.

Thanks again for your comment - Mike G

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to ART AND ROCK N ROLL
:

Hi

I read an article this
morning about an art show in Miami and the beginning of the
article made me think about all of the great art associated with
rock and music.  Album covers, concert posters, the
photography work of people like Linda Eastman McCartney and
thousands of others.

Think about it  and

Diane

OKAY

time to dust off this topic and bring it back to life

Diane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello and "long time no talk to" to you. Not sure if there's any ongoing interest in the topic of album cover art and the people that make it here in the AARP Community, but as I still post a monthly summary of news articles on the topic, I thought that I'd share it today and then ask if you think that there'd be a better place for it, if this isn't it.

BTW - Folks that read Goldmine Magazine (the Bible for vinyl record collectors) will find an interview I did with Vic Singh, the photographer that shot the cover image for Pink Floyd's debut album, in the January 2018 issue...

Here's the intro to the summary - hope you'll take a look - 

Monthly ACHOF News Summary and Previews posted today - I've just published the latest ACHOF monthly news summary, covering all of the news, interviews, etc., that took place during the past month (October, 2017), as well as several previews of items of interest taking place in the coming month of November.

https://albumcoverhalloffame.wordpress.com/2017/11/01/album-cover-artist-and-art-news-summary-and-pr...

Shortlink - https://wp.me/p15kTT-vA

This month's summary should be to everyone's liking, I think. First off, its only 5000 or so words long -  perfect for an evening spent in front of the fire, you laptop on your knees, a glass of fine wine in your hand, etc. (to my friends in California - sorry about the fire reference - hope you're all doing better these days). Then, I think you'll enjoy the variety of stories you can explore, with the latest news about the artists, musical acts, designers, photographers, galleries, curators and publishers who support and promote the works produced by record art designers all over the world sure to be of interest. You'll find news about Exhibitions past and present that include shows built around the talents of designers Malcolm Garrett, Roger Dean and Lemi Ghariokwu, photographer Frank Stefanko, the artistic endeavors of members of the seminal punk bank X and group shows focused on the imagery surrounding David Bowie and Pink Floyd. Two more exhibits are up in support of two industry award shows (Best Art Vinyl in Europe and the ALEX Awards at this year's Making Vinyl trade show), and you'll learn more about a highly-productive collaboration between a design industry heavyweight and a popular band looking to make some memorable visuals and products in support of their new album.

Continuing on, you'll read about a new Heritage Entertainment auction that features a John Lennon-owned and doodled upon prototype of the "Butcher Cover" artwork used in the original pressings of the controversial record, along with new books and prints from shooters Brian Griffin (Depeche Mode, Echo & The Bunnymen and more) and Afshin Shahidi (the late great purple one, Prince), design industry experts Steven Heller, Jennifer Otter Bickerdike and noted Dutch designer/super record collector Jan Van Toorn plus Cey Adams' collaboration with Smithsonian Records on a comprehensive rap/hip-hop anthology. You'll finish off your tour in Section 5, which this month contains an impressive cache of articles on the talented people who continue to impress us with their ongoing efforts in the album cover design, photography, production and product licensing areas (e.g., a new set of limited edition socks based on imagery from The Beatles Yellow Submarine!), keeping both fans and clients happy with their impressive output.

ACHOF Class of 2017 voting update - the voting for nominees is currently underway and voting will follow soon for this year's class of inductees to the Album Cover Hall of Fame in the areas of design, photography, illustration and other related fields. I know that you're eager to see who are the top vote-getters this year รขโ‚ฌโ€œ with lots of talented people still yet to be inducted - so please be sure to check our news feeds (on our site, on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) right before the Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S. to see whoรขโ‚ฌโ„ขll be entering our hallowed halls this year...

Just a reminder to you all that, if you've found stories that have touched you in some way, you should be to let your friends and loved ones in on these morsels of album art and artistry-related information. Please be sure to share this info with everyone you know who might be a fan of great album cover art and, of course, please be sure to share your comments and feedback with me, as they're all important additions to our site.

Once again - Peace, Love and Understanding - Mike G (now in Chicago)

Honored Social Butterfly

:

Hi

I read an article this
thousands of others.

Think about it  and

Diane

Hi

I was looking for some
information about album cover art and found the history
interesting.Early History

Around 1910, 78 rpm
records replaced

phonograph cylinder

as the medium for
recorded sound. The 78 rpm records were issued in both 10"
and 12" diameter sizes and were usually sold separately, in
brown paper or cardboard sleeves that were sometimes plain and
sometimes printed to show the producer or the retailer's name.
Generally the sleeves had a circular cutout allowing the record
label to be seen. Records could be laid on a shelf horizontially
or stood upright on an edge, but because of their fragility, many
broke in storage.

German

record company

Odeon

pioneered the
"album" in 1909 when it released the "

Nutcracker Suite

" by

Tchaikovsky

on 4 double-sided discs
in a specially-designed package. #

(It is not indicated
what the specially designed package was.) The practice of issuing
albums does not seem to have been taken up by other record
companies for many years.

Beginning in the 1920s,
bound collections of empty sleeves with a plain

cardboard

or

leather

cover, similar to a
photograph album, were sold as "

record albums

" that customers
could use to store their records (the name "record
album" was printed on some covers). These empty albums were
sold in both 10" and 12" sizes.

The covers of these
bound books were wider and taller than the records inside,
allowing the record album to be placed on a shelf upright, like a
book, suspending the fragile records above the shelf and
protecting them.

Starting in the 1930s,
record companies began issuing collections of 78 rpm records
by one performer or of one type of music in specially assembled
albums. These albums could include either a collection of popular
songs, on several 78 rpm records, related either by performer or
style, or extended length

classical

music, also on several
78 rpm records, including complete symphonies.

In 1938,

Columbia records

hired

Alex Steinweiss

as its first art
director. He is credited with inventing the concept of album
covers and cover art, replacing plain covers used before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album_cover

If you would like to see
some of the early albums he designed, go to:

www.soundfountain.org/rem/remcovart.html">
http://www.soundfountain.org/rem/remcovart.html

Diane

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

In Response to post:

Great documentary - I have it on DVD.  Given the oddities of his family it's a wonder Crumb turned out as "normal" as he did!

I'm a huge fan of underground art in general, both for its entertainment value and its cultural significance.  People like Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton, Art Spiegelman, Vaughn Bode, Harvey Pekar, Spain Rodriguez and the multitude of others were the documentarians of the sixties counter-culture, working with ink rather than film.

You're right.  He was the normal one in the family.  I had never seen the film before and it wasn't what I expected ... but it was good.  Particularly liked the interviews with his wife.  While most everyone else were saying how twisted he was, he wife disagreed.

I know what you mean about the artists though. I hitchhiked out to Berkeley in the early 70's and returned home with many of the original "underground" comix and newspapers.  Wish I still had them today.

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

If you are a fan of Robert Crumb (like me), the Ovation channel on cable is airing Crumb at 8 PM EST on Sunday, July 20 (today).

Last night at 10 they had a program on "Lowbrow" art.  Lots of interviews with Robert Williams, another great underground artist.

Adrian

Great documentary - I have it on DVD.  Given the oddities of his family it's a wonder Crumb turned out as "normal" as he did!

I'm a huge fan of underground art in general, both for its entertainment value and its cultural significance.  People like Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton, Art Spiegelman, Vaughn Bode, Harvey Pekar, Spain Rodriguez and the multitude of others were the documentarians of the sixties counter-culture, working with ink rather than film.

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

One of my favorites - a classic album cover by a classic underground artist, Robert Crumb

Would you believe he got paid $25 for that?

If you are a fan of Robert Crumb (like me), the Ovation channel on cable is airing Crumb at 8 PM EST on Sunday, July 20 (today).

Last night at 10 they had a program on "Lowbrow" art.  Lots of interviews with Robert Williams, another great underground artist.

Adrian

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hey Janese

I think a whole bunch of our favorite artists will fit right into that very same age bucket too : )   All I can say is..........."Long Live Rock n Roll and the one's that love it"  : )

Diane

Hi Diane,

Yes, they will be in the same age group and hopefully still playing and we can all rock together.  "I Know It's Only Rock 'N Roll but I Like It".... yes, I do!

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

You do that.  Next year I'll be going on 60 so it would be great to celebrate the end of another decade with you.

Janese

Hey Janese

I think a whole bunch of our favorite artists will fit right into that very same age bucket too : )   All I can say is..........."Long Live Rock n Roll and the one's that love it"  : )

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hi Janese

Well thank you ever so much for that great idea.  That would really be a fun time : ) and you know that does not seem out of the question at all.

I am going to put that aside to think about.  Thanks Janese.

Diane 

Hi Diane,

You do that.  Next year I'll be going on 60 so it would be great to celebrate the end of another decade with you.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hi D.,

Well, if you ever want to come to Milwaukee during Summerfest you could stay here and we could go together.  It's always the last Thursday in June until the following Sunday.  11 days.  We could even get tickets to a good show at the amphitheater with reserved seating.  I'd love to go with you.  My best friend Barb doesn't know how to rock.  She went with me to Bon Jovi and just sat there.  I need someone who rocks to go with me.  My friend Kelly who is 20 yrs. younger went with me to Tesla, Poison and Cheap Trick.  Those were some of the best concerts.  We also went to Toby Keith together.  She knows how to rock but usually isn't too reliable and has stood me up on occasion.

Janese

Hi Janese

Well thank you ever so much for that great idea.  That would really be a fun time : ) and you know that does not seem out of the question at all.

I am going to put that aside to think about.  Thanks Janese.

Diane 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Well apparently the others think that with tickets sold out...  it will be too expensive and crowded and so I don't think so.  i told them that they will have to think about it earlier next year and look at the line up and see if it is worth it to them.   They didn't really do a good job of checking it out.

If it is something I really want to see, I always get the tickets right away so that doesn't happen.  But who know.  I am easy going.  If they decide to go I will go with.  But I am with you on the reserved seating : )

Diane

Hi D.,

Well, if you ever want to come to Milwaukee during Summerfest you could stay here and we could go together.  It's always the last Thursday in June until the following Sunday.  11 days.  We could even get tickets to a good show at the amphitheater with reserved seating.  I'd love to go with you.  My best friend Barb doesn't know how to rock.  She went with me to Bon Jovi and just sat there.  I need someone who rocks to go with me.  My friend Kelly who is 20 yrs. younger went with me to Tesla, Poison and Cheap Trick.  Those were some of the best concerts.  We also went to Toby Keith together.  She knows how to rock but usually isn't too reliable and has stood me up on occasion.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

So are you considering going to the Jamboree or not?  Sounds like fun but like you said it's okay if you like the lineup.  The thing about Summerfest is it gets very crowded.  Sometimes it's hard to see the band because everyone is pushing to get up front.  We were lucky with Eric Burdon.  We only sat up front for an hour before the concert.  At the amphitheater which is a separate ticket you get reserved seating which is what I prefer.

Janese

Well apparently the others think that with tickets sold out...  it will be too expensive and crowded and so I don't think so.  i told them that they will have to think about it earlier next year and look at the line up and see if it is worth it to them.   They didn't really do a good job of checking it out.

If it is something I really want to see, I always get the tickets right away so that doesn't happen.  But who know.  I am easy going.  If they decide to go I will go with.  But I am with you on the reserved seating : )

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Hi Janese and thanks for the link.  I will check it out.

My sister and her husband were talking about going to the Jamboree in the Hills in West Virginia this year  which from what I gathered is 3 or 4 days of performances and a pretty big line up and she told me that tickets for the whole thing were around $200  which is not bad if you like most of the line up and you feel like doing the whole show and being outdoors in the sun a lot of the time.

Diane

Hi Diane,

So are you considering going to the Jamboree or not?  Sounds like fun but like you said it's okay if you like the lineup.  The thing about Summerfest is it gets very crowded.  Sometimes it's hard to see the band because everyone is pushing to get up front.  We were lucky with Eric Burdon.  We only sat up front for an hour before the concert.  At the amphitheater which is a separate ticket you get reserved seating which is what I prefer.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

There are several ways to get in.  You can buy 3 day passes.  Some days you can get in free during certain hours if you bring food, or other requested items.  The Summerfest ticket gets you on the grounds where there are 10 different stages and lots of food vendors and outdoor markets.  You have to buy a separate ticket for the Marcus Amphitheater which is the main acts like Stevie Wonder, John Mellencamp, etc.  Some main stage acts have free stamps for lawn seating on the day of the show.  You can see the pictures of the amphitheater and the Summerfest entrance on my profile page and you can check out everything about Summerfest by going to www.summerfest.com.

Janese

Hi Janese and thanks for the link.  I will check it out.

My sister and her husband were talking about going to the Jamboree in the Hills in West Virginia this year  which from what I gathered is 3 or 4 days of performances and a pretty big line up and she told me that tickets for the whole thing were around $200  which is not bad if you like most of the line up and you feel like doing the whole show and being outdoors in the sun a lot of the time.

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

WOW Janese

That is quite a line up.  Those are more artists than the World Series of Rock shows I used to go to.

I remember posting in here somewhere recently about an article that talked about how these big shows were doing great and wew a thing of the future.  The problems with billing and credits for some of the top stars might be a problem but that line up you listed had some great big names in there.  Hmmm  you have me thinking.

Cleveland does have shows and tours; no doubt about that but not that size.

Can you buy a pass for a certain number or each individually or how?

Diane

Hi Diane,

There are several ways to get in.  You can buy 3 day passes.  Some days you can get in free during certain hours if you bring food, or other requested items.  The Summerfest ticket gets you on the grounds where there are 10 different stages and lots of food vendors and outdoor markets.  You have to buy a separate ticket for the Marcus Amphitheater which is the main acts like Stevie Wonder, John Mellencamp, etc.  Some main stage acts have free stamps for lawn seating on the day of the show.  You can see the pictures of the amphitheater and the Summerfest entrance on my profile page and you can check out everything about Summerfest by going to www.summerfest.com.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

:

Hi

I read an article this
thousands of others.

Think about it  and

Diane

It was a beautiful summer day here in Ohio   Reminded me of this album cover

www.superseventies.com/ac15livepeace.gif" width="171" alt="" />

LIVE PEACE IN TORONTO 1969

The Plastic Ono Band

Apple, 1970

Designers: John Lennon and Yoko Ono

Diane

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Thanks for the update on Alton Kelly.  I hadnโ€™t heard about his death.

I'll always associate him with my favorite Grateful Dead album covers.

You are welcome.

He did some beautiful artwork and you could just see his love for his work there.

Diane

0 Kudos

In Response to post:

Hi

Since we have been doing these art posts  I wanted to post the bio for Alton Kelley who passed away June 1st of this year.

Alton Kelley and his longtime partner Stanley Mouse are famous for some of the best known art of the the 60's

Both independently and in tandem with longtime collaborator Stanley Mouse, artist Alton Kelley created some of the most distinctive and enduring images in rock music, his sophisticated yet irreverent collages adorning countless album covers and concert posters. A native of Houlton, Maine, he studied industrial design while in college, but later went to work as an aircraft mechanic in Connecticut. However, upon getting wind of a cultural revolution springing up in California, Kelley hitchhiked cross-country in 1964, landing in Los Angeles and taking a job in a motorcycle repair shop. Within months he relocated to San Francisco, quickly immersing himself in the city's nascent psychedelic community.

In late 1965, Kelley co-founded the Family Dog, a collective of like-minded hipsters and activists who regularly held dances at local venues like the Avalon Ballroom and Longshoreman's Hall. He also turned to art, creating countless collages and decorating his home with bursts of day-glo paint and pop-art designs. He soon assumed promotional duties for the Family Dog events, designing and distributing their posters and handbills; upon meeting kindred spirit Mouse, Kelley's work reached new heights, with the latter selecting photos and assembling the collages while the former handled lettering duties and other technical details.

Kelley and Mouse's collaborations succinctly captured the spontanaeity and wit of both, and together they emerged among the most popular and renowned artists of the psychedelic era, their success cemented in 1968 when they were invited to exhibit their work alongside that of Wes Wilson, Rick Griffin and Victor Moscoso in a joint show which dubbed the group "The Big Five." Many of Kelley's most memorable pieces were created for the Grateful Dead -- he and Mouse inaugurated the "Skull and Roses" emblem used by the group for years to follow, additionally designing a number of album covers and other images reprinted on countless t-shirts and posters.

After sharing with Mouse a 1979 Grammy Award for their cover for the Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits collection, Kelley published the duo's joint biography, appropriately titled Mouse and Kelley. He continued to produce posters and other printed graphics throughout the years to follow, shunning the emergence of digital technology to work by hand on a variety of pieces for the Fillmore and other Bay Area venues in addition to countless other showbiz clients. A resident of Petaluma, California, in 1996 Kelley also appeared in the film documentary The Life and Times of the Red Dog Saloon. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Thanks for the update on Alton Kelly.  I hadnโ€™t heard about his death.

I'll always associate him with my favorite Grateful Dead album covers.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

Summerfest has been going on annually now for 41 years.  It started back in 1968 and has grown so much.  There are many great bands on 10 or 11 different stages as well as a really big talent at the Marcus Amphitheater.  Last night at the amphitheater the headliners were Steve Winwood and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  Tonight they have "The Jonas Brothers".  Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, Joe Cocker with Steve Miller Band, Rush, John Mellencamp, Rascal Flatts with Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, and the Stone Temple Pilots were the acts on the main stage.  Side stage shows included people like LeAnn Rimes, Gnarls Barkley, They Might Be Giants, Cowboy Mouth, Three Dog Night, Eric Burdon, Rusted Root, Trace Adkins, BoDeans, Blondie, Dickey Betts and Great Southern, Gin Blossoms, Pat Benatar & Neil Geraldo, Marty Stuart, Creedence Clearwater Revisted, Gavin DeGraw, Plain White T's, Lucinda Williams, Mountain, Cheap Trick and so many more.  It's a great time.  You'd love it.

Janese

WOW Janese

That is quite a line up.  Those are more artists than the World Series of Rock shows I used to go to.

I remember posting in here somewhere recently about an article that talked about how these big shows were doing great and wew a thing of the future.  The problems with billing and credits for some of the top stars might be a problem but that line up you listed had some great big names in there.  Hmmm  you have me thinking.

Cleveland does have shows and tours; no doubt about that but not that size.

Can you buy a pass for a certain number or each individually or how?

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Wow your Summerfest is impressive.   great variety and mix of music and artists  !!   Is that an annual show?

I have not listened to that "Zappa Plays Zappa"  but sounds like it would be well worth it...  OK then

Boy, so much music  so little time eh? 

Diane

Hi Diane,

Summerfest has been going on annually now for 41 years.  It started back in 1968 and has grown so much.  There are many great bands on 10 or 11 different stages as well as a really big talent at the Marcus Amphitheater.  Last night at the amphitheater the headliners were Steve Winwood and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  Tonight they have "The Jonas Brothers".  Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, Joe Cocker with Steve Miller Band, Rush, John Mellencamp, Rascal Flatts with Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw, and the Stone Temple Pilots were the acts on the main stage.  Side stage shows included people like LeAnn Rimes, Gnarls Barkley, They Might Be Giants, Cowboy Mouth, Three Dog Night, Eric Burdon, Rusted Root, Trace Adkins, BoDeans, Blondie, Dickey Betts and Great Southern, Gin Blossoms, Pat Benatar & Neil Geraldo, Marty Stuart, Creedence Clearwater Revisted, Gavin DeGraw, Plain White T's, Lucinda Williams, Mountain, Cheap Trick and so many more.  It's a great time.  You'd love it.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Hey, 

Perfect and Dweezil was here last night at Summerfest.  Zappa plays Zappa!  Got a great review.

Janese

Wow your Summerfest is impressive.   great variety and mix of music and artists  !!   Is that an annual show?

I have not listened to that "Zappa Plays Zappa"  but sounds like it would be well worth it...  OK then

Boy, so much music  so little time eh? 

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to post:

Oh man, good one!

I am countering with a Dweezil   album    "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama"

OK the art is weak but the name and title  get some points  LOL

Diane

Hey, 

Perfect and Dweezil was here last night at Summerfest.  Zappa plays Zappa!  Got a great review.

Janese

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to post:

Don't know much about Led Zeppelin since they are another of my hubby's favorites.  As I may have told you I was a top 40 kid.  Of course, I remember "Stairway to Heaven" (who doesn't-played at every wedding) and a few others but don't know much.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  Speaking of my hubby here's a record cover from one of his favorites "Frank Zappa".

Frank Zappa Wazoo (Concert Double CD)

Janese

Oh man, good one!

I am countering with a Dweezil   album    "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama"

OK the art is weak but the name and title  get some points  LOL

Diane

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

:

Hi

I read an article this
thousands of others.

Think about it  and

Diane

Hi

I also wanted to add a bio for famous rock photographer  David Gahr was passed away in May

David Gahr, who turned his back on a promising career as a scholar to take pictures and listen to music and who as a result landed among the pre-eminent photographers of American folk, blues, jazz and rock musicians of the 1960s and beyond, died on Sunday at his home in Brooklyn. He was 85.

www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/arts/music/29gahr.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin">http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/arts/music/29gahr.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

Rolling Stone cover of Janis

Photo

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

:

Hi

I read an article this
thousands of others.

Think about it  and

Diane

Hi

Since we have been doing these art posts  I wanted to post the bio for Alton Kelley who passed away June 1st of this year.

Alton Kelley and his longtime partner Stanley Mouse are famous for some of the best known art of the the 60's

Both independently and in tandem with longtime collaborator Stanley Mouse, artist Alton Kelley created some of the most distinctive and enduring images in rock music, his sophisticated yet irreverent collages adorning countless album covers and concert posters. A native of Houlton, Maine, he studied industrial design while in college, but later went to work as an aircraft mechanic in Connecticut. However, upon getting wind of a cultural revolution springing up in California, Kelley hitchhiked cross-country in 1964, landing in Los Angeles and taking a job in a motorcycle repair shop. Within months he relocated to San Francisco, quickly immersing himself in the city's nascent psychedelic community.

In late 1965, Kelley co-founded the Family Dog, a collective of like-minded hipsters and activists who regularly held dances at local venues like the Avalon Ballroom and Longshoreman's Hall. He also turned to art, creating countless collages and decorating his home with bursts of day-glo paint and pop-art designs. He soon assumed promotional duties for the Family Dog events, designing and distributing their posters and handbills; upon meeting kindred spirit Mouse, Kelley's work reached new heights, with the latter selecting photos and assembling the collages while the former handled lettering duties and other technical details.

Kelley and Mouse's collaborations succinctly captured the spontanaeity and wit of both, and together they emerged among the most popular and renowned artists of the psychedelic era, their success cemented in 1968 when they were invited to exhibit their work alongside that of Wes Wilson, Rick Griffin and Victor Moscoso in a joint show which dubbed the group "The Big Five." Many of Kelley's most memorable pieces were created for the Grateful Dead -- he and Mouse inaugurated the "Skull and Roses" emblem used by the group for years to follow, additionally designing a number of album covers and other images reprinted on countless t-shirts and posters.

After sharing with Mouse a 1979 Grammy Award for their cover for the Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits collection, Kelley published the duo's joint biography, appropriately titled Mouse and Kelley. He continued to produce posters and other printed graphics throughout the years to follow, shunning the emergence of digital technology to work by hand on a variety of pieces for the Fillmore and other Bay Area venues in addition to countless other showbiz clients. A resident of Petaluma, California, in 1996 Kelley also appeared in the film documentary The Life and Times of the Red Dog Saloon. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP