Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

going to grad school after age 50

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges?

AllNaturalEverything
Esteemed Social Butterfly

👴👵  States Offer Free or Low-Cost Classes for Older Adults (AARP Article)

FROM ARTICLE - SEE ARTICLE FOR MORE!

Free or Cheap College Courses for Older Adults in All 50 States.

There are plenty of reasons to go back to school, even if it's been years or even decades since you last set foot in a classroom. You can pick up new job skills, learn a new language or simply dive into a subject — art, music, psychology, basket weaving — that has always fascinated you. Perhaps the best reason of all? It's free (or less costly) for older residents of every state and Washington, D.C., to take college courses.

A few common caveats: Older would-be students, in some states starting as young as 50, can typically join a college class only when space permits. That means you have to wait until at least the first day to know if you secured a spot. Whether you can get credit for the course or only audit the class varies by state and school. Also, in many states just tuition is covered. So older students might still need to pony up for books and fees. But even that's a relatively small price to pay to keep your mind sharp and your skill set current.

Check out the free or low-cost opportunities for lifelong learners in your state. [There is a list of states in this article].

https://www.aarp.org/work/careers/free-college-classes/

0 Kudos

Discussion: Heading Back To School Age 50+.

ANY TIPS for those of us who would like to do what YOU HAVE DONE?  🤔

And CONGRATS!!!  💃💃💃

Thanks,

Nicole  👵

0 Kudos

👴👵  This Grandfather Age 88 Graduated College With His Granddaughter (AARP Video)

When his granddaughter started college, Rene Neira decided to work toward his goal of getting a college degree at 88 and was able to graduate with her.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6300996738001/this-grandfather-graduated-college-with-his-grand...

0 Kudos

👴👵  Comebacker: Dorothy Mae Barr-Moore Age 65+ (AARP Video)

Dorothy Mae Barr-Moore always wanted to complete her bachelor’s degree. A Kentucky scholarship for older adults helped her make her dream a reality.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6316318163112/aarp-50-education-comebacker:-dorothy-mae-barr-mo...

0 Kudos

👴👵  Comebacker: Michelle Cyrus Age 60 (AARP Video)

Michelle Cyrus got an advanced degree so she could help other adult learners go back to school, just like she did. She modeled lifelong learning for her children and husband, too. Learn about her story.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6328274508112/aarp-50-education-comebacker:-michelle-cyrus

0 Kudos

👴👵  Learning and Education at 50+ (AARP Article)

Older learners are education leaders in their families and communities and play a role in improving college attainment rates and reducing educational disparities. When an older adult earns a degree, it raises the likelihood that younger family members will, too. About 45 million Americans have college credit but no degree. Caregiving responsibilities, the debt burden needed to cover the growing cost of education, and difficulty obtaining credit for prior learning keep many from graduating.

https://www.aarp.org/pri/initiatives/lifelong-learners/

0 Kudos

For those who have posted, any UPDATES to share?

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!  💃💃💃

Thank you for stopping by to share.

Thanks,

Nicole  ‌‌👵‌‌

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

A‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌nyone AGE 50 and older in School?

Thanks,

Nicole ‌👵

0 Kudos

👴👵  Curious Minds Go Back to School (AARP Article)

Harmon, 75, had gone to work for aerospace and defense contractor Lockheed (now Lockheed Martin) at the dawn of the semiconductor era, in 1965.

When his engineering career ended, Harmon began to pursue what had always interested him: “I decided I would go back to my first love, anthropology.”

Harmon takes advantage of a state program called the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver. Residents of Virginia for at least a year who are 60 or older can enroll or audit (without academic credit) classes at state schools. Harmon doesn’t qualify to have the tuition waived—that’s available only to those with taxable income of up to $23,850 a year.

But he doesn’t have to pay tuition for classes he audits and gets other perks, like free parking and no lab fees. And he enjoys the benefits of campus life at George Mason University in Fairfax County, such as the rec centers, evening events and libraries.

https://states.aarp.org/virginia/curious-minds-go-back-to-school

0 Kudos

👴👵  States Offer FREE or Low-Cost Classes for OLDER Adults (AARP Article)

*** USE LINK AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST TO READ THIS ARTICLE *** [1] Then enter Email Address you used to sign in to use This Site.   [2] Then enter the password you use.   [3] Lastly, there are 3 LETTERS that will "pop up" as their SECURITY CHECK. Enter those.   [4] Then click log in.

https://www.aarp.org/work/careers/free-college-classes/

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am in Grad school at age 83. Many states allow you y to enter cost free in any program at no cost. You have to apply and be accepted just like anyone. I began in class and with Covid changed to on-line. Both were great. I was accepted and actually the professors appreciated my contributions. After all I was a primary source in a Masters Gerontology program! I loved every minute of class and interaction s!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I decided to go for a master's of public affairs, with an emphasis in nonprofit organization management and policy. When Covid hit, we just switched to Zoom-based classes. Because of my state's program to let seniors earn university credits for very little money, I did not have to take out any loans and I graduated in May 2021. Similar to your experience @SuzanneG427647 , I also found that I was sometimes a resource (e.g., I was alive during the Civil Rights Era in the 1960s, etc.) and was accepted by the other students. The readings, and the discussions with other students--many in their 20s--were very helpful in understanding what is happening now, and the intellectual stimulation was energizing. Now, I'm contemplating applying for a doctoral program, or perhaps law school!

AllNaturalEverything

(4/15/24) @ka16325833 so good to get an update and CONGRATS!!!

Nicole  👵

[*** @ka16325833 wrote:

I decided to go for a master's of public affairs, with an emphasis in nonprofit organization management and policy. When Covid hit, we just switched to Zoom-based classes. Because of my state's program to let seniors earn university credits for very little money, I did not have to take out any loans and I graduated in May 2021. Similar to your experience @SuzanneG427647 , I also found that I was sometimes a resource (e.g., I was alive during the Civil Rights Era in the 1960s, etc.) and was accepted by the other students. The readings, and the discussions with other students--many in their 20s--were very helpful in understanding what is happening now, and the intellectual stimulation was energizing. Now, I'm contemplating applying for a doctoral program, or perhaps law school! ***]

0 Kudos

(4/12/24) CONGRATS @SuzanneG427647 !!!

Nicole  👵

[*** SUZANNE @SuzanneG427647 wrote:

I am in Grad school at age 83. Many states allow you y to enter cost free in any program at no cost. You have to apply and be accepted just like anyone. I began in class and with Covid changed to on-line. Both were great. I was accepted and actually the professors appreciated my contributions. After all I was a primary source in a Masters Gerontology program! I loved every minute of class and interaction s! ***]

Kudos
Views

(4/10/24) @LizS378813 , do you plan to do MORE school when you finish in a few weeks? And thank you SO MUCH for your recent update!!!

Nicole 👵

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I took my Contracts Law II exam this morning. I have one more final exam and for my Property class next Monday morning at  9 am. My summer break begins. I will be finished with my first year of law school. I will start my second year in the middle of August. I am glad for the summer vacation. I want enjoy my summer vacation and do lots of fun things like GalaxyCon, which is largest comic book convention in Oklahoma and start on May 24th-26th. I worked hard this semester and want enjoy my time off.

(4/29/24) GOOD FOR YOU @LizS378813 !!!  💃💃💃  Please enjoy yourself, you deserve it.

Nicole  👵

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I took my Contracts Law II exam this morning. I have one more final exam and for my Property class next Monday morning at  9 am. My summer break begins. I will be finished with my first year of law school. I will start my second year in the middle of August. I am glad for the summer vacation. I want enjoy my summer vacation and do lots of fun things like GalaxyCon, which is largest comic book convention in Oklahoma and start on May 24th-26th. I worked hard this semester and want enjoy my time off. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I plan on going this comic book convention that is coming 2 weeks after final exams. Then, I want see the Capital Building and visit down Oklahoma city. I want to visit the Native American Museum. There is the classical Music concern series in June and visit Fried Pie Factory in Ardmore

(4/10/24) @LizS378813 , that sounds like FUN!!!

Nicole  👵

0 Kudos

“For the best return on your money, pour your purse into your head.” -- Benjamin Franklin.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

59 here. Will be earning my Masters in Dec.

Periodic Contributor

Congratulations 🎉 

(4/10/24) CONGRATS @er3626 !!!  💃💃💃

Nicole  👵

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks. Just hope I could find a job in the field I'm studying.🙏

(4/10/24) @er3626 , I am sure you will!!!  👍👍👍

Nicole 👵

0 Kudos

It is never too late to return to school!!!

Nicole  👵

Periodic Contributor

I am. Looking forward to a second grad school go round starting this month. Would love to hear from others also on this journey. 

(3/22/24) @bg96111913  , are you all finished or still in school?  🤔  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!

Nicole  👵

[*** @bg96111913 wrote:

I am. Looking forward to a second grad school go round starting this month. Would love to hear from others also on this journey. ***]

0 Kudos

I I am 56 and start Grad school in 2 weeks to become a school counselor. I've been a substitute teacher for a few years now and feel committed to helping kids. I am both excited and at the same time nervous about my new journey. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP