Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

going to grad school after age 50

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges?

AllNaturalEverything
Periodic Contributor

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @LizS378813  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I will be finished with my first year of law school in four weeks. I am getting my outlines together and preparing class every day. Law school is very hard. My first year was hard, but I managed to get the hard part of it.It is hard, but it is worth. I just got my first A a week ago.  I put together for Legal Writing and Research II class my first appellate brief. It was hard to put together. I am going to be second year law student next semester if all goes well. I am going to ready study for the finals to  make that happen.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/23/24) Thanks for your "response" @LizS378813 and CONGRATS on doing this!!! ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I will be finished with my first year of law school in four weeks. I am getting my outlines together and preparing class every day. Law school is very hard. My first year was hard, but I managed to get the hard part of it.It is hard, but it is worth. I just got my first A a week ago.  I put together for Legal Writing and Research II class my first appellate brief. It was hard to put together. I am going to be second year law student next semester if all goes well. I am going to ready study for the finals to  make that happen. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

Congratulations ๐ŸŽ‰ 

Periodic Contributor

I am 57. When my youngest son graduated with his BS Degree I decided it was my turn to go for my Master and change career. At 56 I wanted to start slowly and to see if I could do it. I took an online ACE certification training in Data Science and continued for my Advance certification. Now in the fall I will begin my MS Degree in Data Science. Never too late. 

This is very inspirational.

Contributor

Hello - I hope this thread is still active. I just turned 58 and have been a caseworker at an aging agency for 7 years. I have been wanting to continue to my MA but nervous about debt. I want to continue working in aging/elder field. I really want to focus on improving or revolutionizing nursing homes and helping generations work together. I really have no idea where to start to find a program that focuses on that. Any insight? Thank you!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) Did you return to school @SusanS836488 ?  ๐Ÿค”

[*** SUSAN @SusanS836488 wrote:

Hello - I hope this thread is still active. I just turned 58 and have been a caseworker at an aging agency for 7 years. I have been wanting to continue to my MA but nervous about debt. I want to continue working in aging/elder field. I really want to focus on improving or revolutionizing nursing homes and helping generations work together. I really have no idea where to start to find a program that focuses on that. Any insight? Thank you! ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am 53 and am just finishing my doctorate degree in psychology. I have worked in the field for 35 years. I did my degree online. I found it so fascinating and gratifying. The Science had changed so much in 35 years. I think it was a wonderful experience. Karen Chambre

Retired Community Manager

@wardchambre, congratulations on earning your doctorate degree!

Regular Contributor

I was in my mid-50's when I returend to college to get my master's degree, 27 yrs after receiving my bachelor's. Now, in my 60's, I have also obtained an associate's degree in equine science, & am currently enrolled in an associate's degree paralegal program.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @bsavoca  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @bsavoca wrote:

I was in my mid-50's when I returend to college to get my master's degree, 27 yrs after receiving my bachelor's. Now, in my 60's, I have also obtained an associate's degree in equine science, & am currently enrolled in an associate's degree paralegal program. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was not 50, but I went back to grad school 20 years after my college graduation when I had finally figured out "what I wanted to be when I grew up."  I went to an expensive school, but my employer paid for most of my tuition.  I never got a grade below an A, because I was very into school and not distracted by parties, dates, etc.  I loved the experience and recommend it for anyone looking for professional growth as I was.  This decision was critical to my progressing to become a corporate human resources director with 23 facilities reporting to me.  I loved my company and my job.  When I retired I felt I had done a very good job, because of this accomplishment.  And I could not have done it without grad school.

Conversationalist

I took classes online at the Library.  They were so much fun and it's free!

they have so many different ones to take and if you want to take the test you can and get a letter.

I loved short story writing classes. There's about 10 students in a class and some teachers were disturbed if you didn't do the work or not follow their instructions but sometimes it's wasn't clear but they didn't want to hear excuses.

So, I would join another class.

They have all kinds of classes, check it out! Plus, it's online!

Get a library card and your set!

Trusted Contributor

I applied for classes in order to learn how to use a smartphone. It cost me $200 to take this class. All I learned to do was how to text and how to download appes. It didn't teach me how to make a call or how to shoot a movie and to send it off their way!

I wanted to get a diploma for this class, but couldn't get one!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Just get a grandchild or school student to show you and give the a few dollars!

Contributor

Good afternoon 

I am so sorry you paid 200 dollar s the 

Best thing to do in that situation. Is to

Watch you tube videos and udemy

And teachable have classes. I'm not

Sure if they give certification for it

But it's a start and the prices are

Reasonable. Hope this helps

Regards,

Theresa Bell.

R

I have two masters degrees a MBA and a MS in informatics. I am over 50. My experience is in accounting/human resource/training and I am having a hard time finding a job. My previous position relocated. When I apply for jobs I see they want you to have a certification. Crying out load I have not one but two masters. I have applied for Payroll Director position and they are asking for a payroll certification. When applied for Human Resource position they desire a certification in HR. When does it ever end? How do they expect you to pay for studying material plus the cost of the test. They are not cheap especially when you are not working. 

Contributor

Vannessia,  I am so sorry that you are experiencing such a challening time!  Hang in there!  Your education, experience, and determination will eventually pay off.  Good luck!

Paula

Contributor

Congrats on your two degrees have you ever thought about

Becoming an entrepreneur. You should consider becoming

A consultant with all the experience and education you

Have. I was in grad school a year ago and dropped out

Because I already had student loans from undergrad

Paying over ten years and added another twenty thousand

Stopping with 2 semesters left. I think I froze with the idea

Of getting an MBA so now I am considering going back

To finish I am looking for scholarships to finish and

Decided I want to debt free. From these student loans

Before my retirement which is in 2028.:So I plan to keep

Working  change careers in education and become part 

Time educational  consultant teaching families to be

Debt free and life skills and going to college debt free.

You will be fine good luck.

Regards,

Theresa Bell

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @t996601b , did you return to school? ๐Ÿค”

[*** THERESA @t996601b wrote:

Congrats on your two degrees have you ever thought about

Becoming an entrepreneur. You should consider becoming

A consultant with all the experience and education you

Have. I was in grad school a year ago and dropped out

Because I already had student loans from undergrad

Paying over ten years and added another twenty thousand

Stopping with 2 semesters left. I think I froze with the idea

Of getting an MBA so now I am considering going back

To finish I am looking for scholarships to finish and

Decided I want to debt free. From these student loans

Before my retirement which is in 2028.:So I plan to keep

Working  change careers in education and become part 

Time educational  consultant teaching families to be

Debt free and life skills and going to college debt free.

You will be fine good luck.

Regards,

Theresa Bell ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I was not 50 but felt like I was. I went back to school after I had graduated high school, and attended some college courses, sixteen years later. I knew I had two small sons to support, my husband had died, and i had worked for eleven years. Everything i had tried seemed to end, so, i thought i would go back to school and become a Nurse. I did this, graduated with honors, and made my two sons extremely proud of me. I later, in three years got married. Now, i am taking care of my disabled husband--after 35 years of marriage. 

Honored Social Butterfly

.".... When I apply for jobs I see they want you to have a certification. Crying out load I have not one but two masters. I have applied for Payroll Director position and they are asking for a payroll certification. When applied for Human Resource position they desire a certification in HR.....".

This trend has been going for some time. Think of accounting. It doesn't matter how much schooling and practical experience in accounting you may have, many, if not most employers want someone with a CPA.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

I'm going to turn 59 in January of 2020. I'm starting a doctoral degree program at the University of Virginia in the fall if 2020 and it will take me about 3 years to finish. It's something I always wanted to do so I'm going to do it ! I want this degree for many reasons and one of them was that I promised my father years and years ago I'd be a doctor someday. Of course, he was was hoping for a medical doctor or a veterinarian or a dentist as a son but he got a son that has done everything from being a professional ballet dancer to a teacher of Advanced Placement Chemistry and Physics. I see this as another new journey in a wonderful life. 

James (Jay) Farris
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @jf6642  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** JAMES (JAY) @jf6642 wrote:

I'm going to turn 59 in January of 2020. I'm starting a doctoral degree program at the University of Virginia in the fall if 2020 and it will take me about 3 years to finish. It's something I always wanted to do so I'm going to do it ! I want this degree for many reasons and one of them was that I promised my father years and years ago I'd be a doctor someday. Of course, he was was hoping for a medical doctor or a veterinarian or a dentist as a son but he got a son that has done everything from being a professional ballet dancer to a teacher of Advanced Placement Chemistry and Physics. I see this as another new journey in a wonderful life. ***]

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Congratulations, @jf6642, enjoy the journey!

Contributor

Hello:

I'm 50+ and applied to graduate school last year and got accepted to the MS in Nonprofit Leadership Progam in the School of Social Policy and Practice at Penn. The whole application process was online and video interviews. The application process was fairly easy and involved essays, letters of recommendations and the aforementioned interviews. 

The program is a hybrid online program and the first for Penn.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering this path.

Julia
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @j626702m  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** JULIA @j626702m wrote:

Hello:

I'm 50+ and applied to graduate school last year and got accepted to the MS in Nonprofit Leadership Progam in the School of Social Policy and Practice at Penn. The whole application process was online and video interviews. The application process was fairly easy and involved essays, letters of recommendations and the aforementioned interviews. 

The program is a hybrid online program and the first for Penn.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering this path. ***]

0 Kudos

I went back to school October 2014. I am doing the online thing since I work a full time job. I decided to get my Bachelor's in criminal justice and I am loving every minute of it!!!!!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP