From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 261 of 304

I grew up in the Seattle area and loved it. Moved to Andover, Massachusetts, in 1977 and loved it. Now I live outside Honolulu (for last 30 years) and love it. Of course most of my children--4 of 5--and grandkids --8 of10--live nearby which makes our location even more satisfying. If the kids were not here and the cost of living was an important issue Hawaii is not kind to retirees. The cost of housing, shelter, transportation, and food is at least 25% higher than the mainland. Also health care is fine on Oahu but spotty on the neighbor islands. If our children weren't here, I would most likely move to a medium size city like Salem or Eugene in Oregon and buy a place where most shopping, arts, and health care was walkable. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 262 of 304

My husband and I sold our home last year in North Carolina and plan to retire in Savannah Georgia mainly because it's a warm climate area and a 4 hour drive to Florida 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 263 of 304

I presently live in the Northern Virginia area, but we are looking to eventually retire in Delaware for the reasons that I mentioned earlier.  I like Ocean View because it is a small town, which is close to Bethany Beach, but you are not inundated with the beach goers.  Rehoboth Beach is 20 minutes away, so if you want to go shopping, they have the big Tanger Outler there, and you are also about 20 minutes away from Ocean City, Maryland, which they also have the outlets in Ocean City, but you are smart to shop in Delaware because there is no sales tax.  Personally, I feel Delaware is a win win for me, and I would definitely research the Ocean View, Delaware area if you are contemplating Delaware.  Best of luck!! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 264 of 304

@Itinerant1 - If you think San Diego is expensive, San Francisco is probably worse! Check out Zillow for the type of housing in which you're interested, and check prices!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 265 of 304

@f93196k - Very helpful post!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 266 of 304

@al54333720 - I live in NJ, and I've considered a move to the area of Delaware you mention. I'd prefer to be in a single family home, but those beach towns don't seem to have walkable downtowns with good shopping. Condo communities seem to be further inland. Do you live there .. how walkable are the towns, and are they inundated with vacationers/part-time residents in the summer?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 267 of 304

I want to live in a non Democrat/leftist state in a rural parcel directly bordering state/federal: forest lands/lakeshore/seacoast where I can drop off the grid aka "walden" type existense/hunt/fish/garden/fruit tree/crab/sail/use dead[only]timber for fuel/rustic furniture/explore local nature/geology/hydrology in:southeastern coastal AK,ID,eastern WA,OR,WY, UT, MT,ND,MO,east TN,west NC,AR,NH,ME.

I turn 66 this May,and my SS will be limited

I need a good Protestant woman to join me SOON-ER !!!

Wh of you ladies will join me in these plans/move?

SN I'm talking about a cabin with static geothermal heat,some solar  roofing/ wind turbine/ram pump,shallow potable ground water,arable soil,>=10 miles out of town but within 72 hours of decent hospital,no close neighbors/shopping center/hazardous waste site,above tsunami/food lines/Ideally with landline electric[water pumping&refridgeration]&phone[basic internet[not cable TV/social media].

Any of you really ought to read:"Strategic Relocation"by Skouzas,distributed by Deltapress.com.

I have a heavy environmental/health/safety background,speak English and limited German,am plain spoken,Pro-2nd Amendment,currrently United Methodist Church member-and am Protestant by my deeds-not merely reciting verse!,process my own food/scratch cook&bake,tan fur/hides,make rustic furniture,dislike software/political correctness,am conservation oriented,like cats/dogs/skunks/other critters/etc. I figure on going to town[for church or supplies]once a week or less.Won't be a hermit.Want to "pick and choose" who I mingle with.

Again,who's going to join me?

Thanks,

Karl 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 268 of 304

I am currently a full-time software developer...

I plan to semi-retire, at 59, by doing short-term (3-6 month) work contracts (till 65 ?).  That will allow me to do some "traveling" !  I am hoping to get some gigs in Europe (my granparents are from Spain/Galicia and the Canary Islands).

Permanent retirement at 65 ?  It depends where and what the three kids are doing !

I was born in Cuba - I would like to spend some time there.  It has been 46 years since I left, and I have never been back...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 269 of 304

Simply--In a RV, on BLM Land Boondocking-very low cost. In the south for the winters, in the north for the summers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 270 of 304

try canyon, tx.  Moved here from MN 15 years ago, and love it.

Kudos
Views