Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin

Washington State or Oregon, beautiful, mild temperatures, diverse ecosystem.  Wish it was more conservative

I live in OH. I am considering my options for FL. I would like to come back to OH with family for the summers. I am looking at 55 and over living within a modest budget. I have very little savings.

Periodic Contributor

Long Island

california dreaming

I am now living in Port Charlotte,Florida and loving it
Contributor

I want to live in the DR. Nice people and cheaper
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Whats DR? Inquiring minds want to know

Regular Contributor

Dominican Republic? If that is the correct answer, how will you be taking care of any medical bills? Do they accept Medicare?

Regular Contributor

The Edgewater Beach area in Chicago, IL. My hometown.

Contributor

The Dominican Republic.

Destaye

We are coming to visit Port Charlotte 

in a couple of weeks. Canโ€™t wait to check it out

Honored Social Butterfly

Pretty scenery .. what state is that? Is that a nature preserve?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

We have retired and are looking to move to Mexico. We spent 3 months down there this year and absoluety loved it. We are going back down there for 2 months and then back again next year

Contributor

Green Valley, Arizona.  The weather is perfect.  The real estate taxes are minimal.  Retirement community.  Just voted the 4th best place to retire.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Where did you travel in Mexico? Have you visited Guanajuato City in the central highlands?  It's a high desert area.  I've lived here close to 20 years on a mountaintop overlooking the city.  Built a 3bed/2bath house on one level with wheelchair amenities like ramps and wide doorways.  Thought I'd bring my parents down to live with me,  Sadly, they both passed away before I finished the house.  Now, I'm about to retire from my university position here. I love it here, but realize living alone on a mountaintop has its drawbacks for aging in place.  I'm developing a plan to convert the house into a communal living area and I have land to build individual private cottages.  In other words, a small (6-10 person) senior co-housing community.  I'm looking for interested people.

It's DOABLE.  Just needs a few fellow pioneers with vision and drive to get the ball rolling.  If you're interested, come visit Guanajuato.  I'd be happy to show you around my town!

Periodic Contributor

Do you ever wants the TV program, Border Wars? If not, I suggest you watch it before deciding to move to Mexico. It's getting extremely dangerous there with drug lords controlling the people and land.
Periodic Contributor

I can't help but reply to the folks who are afraid to move to Mexico because a television show (Border Wars) shows how dangerous it is. 

While I would not consider moving to Mexico, myself, I would consider moving to Cabot Cove, Maine, even though Jessica Fletcher was called upon to solve a murder there nearly every week. If she didn't travel, Cabot Cove would have become a ghost town. 

I worked in the industry for most of my working life, and it's hard to convince people of the difference between truth and fiction. My own mother was afraid to wear a seat belt because she was convinced that cars explode on impact. I could never convince her that we packed those cars with explosives, and if she watched the screen, she would see three separate explosions, one forward, from the engine, one rear from the gas tank area, and one in the middle, passenger area because three of something is more aesthetically pleasing than two.

Please, people, visit a place and form your own opinions. Do not be swayed by a television show or a movie. It's likely filmed somewhere other than where it's supposed to be set, anyway. 

Contributor

I know people who love Guadamala. Of course, Spanish is a second language of theirs, itโ€™s a great stretch to their retirement dollars to live there. They have dual citizenship.
Regular Contributor

Dear SW1743

I've lived happily and safely in Mexico 20 years, and plan to stay right where I am after I retire next year. The violence isn't everywhere.  Where I live, it's peaceful and the crime is little more than petty thievery. Warning people not to move to the entire country of Mexico based on crime in a few areas is like warning people not to move anywhere in the U.S. based on the number of crimes in Chicago, a huge over-generalization.

Periodic Contributor

Very good point. Mexico is overall a beautiful country and its people are very friendly.
Periodic Contributor

Yes, it is pretty scenery. One of my friends took it in Atlanta, GA.

Carin
Contributor

Grove city Ohio had new house built.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP