Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement living - Getting started - Where to go?

Message 1 of 30

But isn't NC a state that is least tax friendly for retirees?

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30

The Villages are located near Ocala,FL. (North central FL) Close to I-75. Fairly close to Orlando. We know people who like living there-huge communities! We have driven by, but never visited there. We live about 3 hours south.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30

@VinnyD983161 wrote:

I retire next week but have prepared for retirement 8 years ago by dowsizing house and cars before moving to The Villages in Florida. >>>

I have to tell you that The Villages is one of the places I disliked the most.  It is like a giant suburb from the northeast.  It is in the middle of flat central Florida and I am sure the real estate costs were reflective of that.  I prefer the coast and some natural assets.

I also found some of the financial aspects concerning.  It is family owned and the rules and community costs are determined by that group.  

I would recommend a lot of research into the financial aspects of the community and the way of life for anyone considering it.  But if you are happy there than best wishes for you.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30

@H2NH wrote:

Retiring in 2 years.  Going to be "snow birds" such that the majority of the year we can be near our kids in NH, but want to escape the long winters.  The question is where to we go for 3 to 4 months a year?  Lots of choices of course.  Suggestions?  

I have done more research than anyone I know.. I have looked at retirement communities in every state that is usally considered and after years, my choice is Hilton Head SC..  close enough for family to visit, and everything I wanted.  Best of luck to you and do lots of research!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30

No need to wish you luck because you're going to do great ! Just keep looking forward and think positive. Now you're on a new adventure and making happy memories that you will use to pushout the bad ones. Leave all that bad luggage in DC where it belongs. Read only positive responses and stay away from negative thinkers as they will drain your energy !

Professor Phineas J. Whoopie

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30

No need to wish you luck as you're going to do 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

Thanks for your wisdom. I'm going on without my spouse because I'm tired of not living my life...Retired. I want a place where I can wake up and take half of the day trying to remember or just not caring what day it is! For one reason or another, I returned to the Washington, DC area based on poor encouragement about 3 times. Retirement is no fun if you are doing it with someone who wants it their way or no way. I think I can survive on what I have by myself, well I know I can. Wish me the best of luck, so far Florida!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

Suggest you start by exploring possible options. In person if possible, but via your computer at least. 

Winter months in north central **bleep**, southern UT, northern NM, and southern CO, are hard to beat. December thru March weather is mostly sunny and warm, nights are chilly/ cold with occasional snow, but roads are usually dry and free of ice or sleet.

Lots of interesting places to visit and great scenery!  

Stay in medium/small towns for local flavor, large cities are congested and impersonal. Feel free to ask local folks about the area why they live there. Most of them will be pleased to share their opinons.

Take your time, don't commit to a specific place right away, some times exploring options is the most fun of all. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30

Go where it is warm and comfortably culturally inspiring.  I love St. Petersburg and Mexico Beach in Florida.  I would suggest renting 6 months per year because you avoid taxation on your unit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

We also winter in the Rio Grande Valley, in Texas. Great weather, and low cost of living. You are right about the walkability, you do need to drive to some things. BUT, if you are in a planned or mobile home community, each community has it's own activities, clubs and outside entertainers that come in to perform. We have about 25 different social/activity groups: quilting, cards shuffleboard, pickleball, water aerobics, etc. We have entertainers from all over the US that that come to our park, and I belong to the Performing Arts Center which is about a 10 minute drive. Across the street is a high school..we love to attend their plays and performances. Don't write the area off till you try it out. We are in McAllen, Texas

Kudos
Views