Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Apartment vs Retirement Village

Message 21 of 46

My grandmother had the best solution. She had six children-- 5 daughters,1son. Technically she lived with her youngest daughter, my Aunt Pearl, who married very late in life, never had children, spoiled my sister and me something terrible. But what she did most of the time was visit her children in turn and stay with them for weeeks at a time. Such a good plan.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 46

I think there should be more low income housing for the elderly as we are the poorest groups of people who are mistreated for whatever reason.  We need a clean safe facility where we feel safe that have amenities to accommodate some of our needs,  These should be our golden years yet we find we delcine because we are punished for getting old.  A foreigner comes through the door (and I have no issues with anyone) will get exactly what they want. We generally have to struggle beg borrow and steal to be heard,  We should have a committee for elderly singles without hitting up a  website but make it eaiser for us to meet people without being put to shame.

We have alot of resources as I speak but as a whole we really have nothing.  . Thanks for listening.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 46

I had a tiny mobile home in a lovely senior mobile home park with a golf course, tennis courts and pool in Florida. That was nice with the best of both. Mobile homes don't hold their value so you can get one already set up for really cheap.

Before my husband died he went to live in an assisted living place. OMG! It was so expensive for just a little room and meals. The only benefit was an onsight nurse and an emergency cord.

Then I left the US for adventures abroad and ended up in Nepal. Now I live in Nepal and love how far my money goes and how wonderful the people are. Here's my latest adventure, a Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/2pBo9zUlv5Y I think you can see how happy I am.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 46

I was a single mom (my daughter was 6 months old when my husband divorced me) to a daughter who has multiple disabilities as well as had 5 surgeries to correct her speech (born with an internal cleft palate among other problems).  I only have a high school diploma but somehow I managed to provide her with all the medical care she needed (no government help) and gave her everything she needed in her life (and still do).  I worked my butt off all of my life holding 2 and 3 jobs at a time. 

I don't/didn't expect the government to pay for anything or provide for my daughter.  It is not the government's job to do this nor is it the taxpayer's job.  And, I certainly don't think this country should put the illegals over its citizens.

This country will fail and fail miserably if we get a Democrat President running this country again.  There aren't enough people working in this country now to pay for everything they want to give away to the people just to receive their votes.

I firmly believe that Divine intervention stepped in when Donald Trump was elected.  Despite the horrible, evil opposition they are giving him, he is still getting things done and making this a better place to live.  Why else is the Left so afraid of him?? 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 46

I hear you dh71077629 and I know how you feel as I am right there with you. I was at home with two small children so I know the sacrifice. The good thing is we did stay with our children and raised them to be fine adults. I know I am proud of my kids and the memories we share of those days. I was blessed to find a cute, inexpensive apartment in the small town my two live in and its just down the street from the one, it's a rural town so the rents are lower. When my husband passed recently I had to sell the large country home we had, so I have some money after paying all the bills and funeral he caused us. However it isn't enough to buy anything, or to go to a community. I am squeezing every penny and I worry, like you what will happn down the road. 

Your not alone, and perhaps if we keep voicing these fears it may do some good. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 46

I understand, and BTW no offense taken.  Granted it isn't for everyone, but for those that can it is a huge increase in your SS check.  About 40% and thats if you live comfortably.  I agree our government should take care of it's elderly, homeless, vets, etc.  And until we can elect a government that will do that there are other options.  I don't see a big improvement in healthcare and quality of life for the elderly in the near future, and by near future I mean in the next four years.  It takes a lot of time even after a new congress and president are elected for changes to be made.  Four years is long time if you have health issues / quality of life issues.  If you are stuck in the hood, you might not make it two years.     

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 46

that is way too much when you don't have a good Social Security because, as a mother I stayed home to be with my children (3) and now am paying for it with a low amt of SS.  Women are the ones that get the bad rap because, we do this to be there for the children in my time that is what you did but now its not a good idea.  So, what does one do?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 46

Ha ha okay, But can you tell me where it is safe in the US that you can afford to live?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 46
I agree with you and find that everything you say is true I feel very isolated where I am.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 46

If you google: Happy Trails RV Resort, Surprise, Az, you will find it.  Thanks and good luck!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark