Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retirees, When Are You Giving Up Driving? ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retirees, When Are You Giving Up Driving? ๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿ‘ต

• Discussion created on April 18, 2021.
  • Stop by to read our comments and/or add a comment.
  • We luv hearing from you!
  • Lol, cute .gif of an old lady driving with her dog looking petrified is attached to this post!! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ Poor furbaby. ๐Ÿ˜ž
  •  
  • tenor.gif

Recognized Social Butterfly

1 comment (8/17/23)

Lol, when I cannot SEE or REMEMBER where I am going! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

How 'bout when I made this tough decision? When I may not realize danger to others?

A wonderful elderly lady basically mowed down a junior hs track team, unwittingly, due to lose of dexterity/sight/response time.

In 1986 I was DUIed following office party and meds; both the officer and supervisor were very nice and even mentioned I could be their spouse... hours later a DUI murdered a motorcyclist on the 91 due to dui; I felt she might have been me had I not been stopped.

When I realized I could no longer see 180 degrees while driving, not could I realize which speed was appropriate I stopped driving.

It's been an extreme inconvenience, but I feel I've made the right decision. I so hope others will recognize when they should stop driving.

Just as too many young drivers have caused rampant collisions lately, we older need to lead by example...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I'm not, they gonna have to make me stop,,,LOL

Contributor

I am currently 64 this year.  I know my mom had dementia and we had to hide her car keys so that she would no longer drive but we kept her car for her until she passed away because it always seem to comfort her that she could look out the window and see that her car was still there.  I drive very little since retirement.  I have only put 7,000 miles on my car that I purchased brand new. in 2012.  I think when it gets to point that I am behind the wheel and start not knowing exactly where I am - that will be a sign to me that I need to give up the keys. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅFriday - July 2, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Thank you so much for stopping by to join our discussion @jacksc01 ๐Ÿ˜ Have awesome day/night!

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't drive much now.  My car is older than yours, @Anonymous now - 2001 Honda Accord EX, purchased it new in 2001 and now has 130,000 miles.

Guess I will stop driving when and if I become a safety hazard or I can no longer find my keys or maybe the actual car.  So far, so good.  I go a few places and all those places only allows me to do right hand turns; that way hopefully, I won't slow down anybody else by me trying to turn left.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

I love driving so it will be a bummer when I have to do so. Sixty five and still drive a motorcycle too. My dad is 90 and still driving, though mostly during the day and around town. He doesn't like to drive new places far away, which is probably a good idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅApril 27, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @zephyr321215 thank you for stopping by to join our discussion ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Bronze Conversationalist

They will have to pry my cold dead hands off my Mazda hatchback's stick shift. LOL

Gold Conversationalist

@DeahWA Hooray for stick shifts! I miss mine, I gave that up when I realized that wife was not going to be able to drive that in the event of a road emergency (eg: I become ill while driving in the boonies, she wouldn't be able to drive stick).

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅApril 18, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Me, would like to do it NOW at age 63, but luv seeing my old lady (2006 Hyundai Elantra) parked out front = my ESCAPE from my upstairs neighbors from HELL/lol. Once I find a Tiny Cottage to rent in Salem, Virginia, I will probably turn my keys in when she dies of old age. Driving STRESSES me out here. Folks riding your BUMPER. Over the years (started driving at age 18 in St. Louis, Missouri - Honda Civic Hatchback), I have been REAR ENDED and not my fault. No speeding tickets. Lol, got pulled over and WARNED as soon as I drove the car off the lot. That SCARED me enough. Grateful cop knew it was an innocent mistake.

Bronze Conversationalist

St Louis??!! Me too!! @Anonymous 

Bronze Conversationalist

Being 63 this year myself I feel I have many more good years to go. At least until my wife tells me to stop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅApril 18, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @postman29 lol, yes, she wants to make sure you stick around. Thanks for stoppibg by to join our discussion ๐Ÿ™‚

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP