Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Elder care and estate planning

Is there a good book or information out there to help my Mom with her will and estate planning. She is 75 years old and has asked me to be her executer of her estate.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, I agree that you should contact an estate planning attorney, for example: 

https://estatelawtexas.com/

It would be a good idea to search for a local elder law attorney in your area on the NELF website.

https://www.nelf.org/

The National Elder Law Foundation (NELF) is the only national organization certifying practitioners of elder and special needs law. There are nearly 500 Certified Elder Law Attorneys across the country.

0 Kudos
Contributor

It is always reccomended that you consult an estate planning lawyer with experience in drafting wills before attempting to make or interpret a will.

Your local probate court or the probate court that your mother's estate would go through when she dies would also be a good resource about a role as an executor or personal representative. Although they cannot give legal advice they do have information and answers about administering an estate.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I apologize. It is not letting me edit my previous post.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Please remove your contact information ASAP, or your post will look like an advertisement!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I usually post responses that often have a theme of 'take personal responsibility' and do your homework. But, I'm a believer in consulting a lawyer (of course, one that specializes in Elder law) to handle will and estate planning. There are different laws among the states, and it's too easy to leave something out of a will that should be noted. It also depends on how complex your mom's finances are, and if other family members are involved.

Now, having stated that, I still believe in doing some homework, which you are asking about.

Planning Your Estate: Ten Things You Should Know ... - Law

AARP - Estate Planning - Living Wills, Trusts, Inheritance ...

Do I Need Estate Planning? - The State Bar of California

(This last link is for California, but I believe it contains a lot of good info in general)

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos

this is or should not be a format for lawyers to enrich their professions. Most states have adept of health and senior services. Theses professionals can advise  without predjuice. THe lawyers should calm down and consider the question at hand.

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I usually post responses that often have a theme of 'take personal responsibility' and do your homework. But, I'm a believer in consulting a lawyer (of course, one that specializes in Elder law) to handle will and estate planning. There are different laws among the states, and it's too easy to leave something out of a will that should be noted. It also depends on how complex your mom's finances are, and if other family members are involved.

Now, having stated that, I still believe in doing some homework, which you are asking about.

Planning Your Estate: Ten Things You Should Know ... - Law

AARP - Estate Planning - Living Wills, Trusts, Inheritance ...

Do I Need Estate Planning? - The State Bar of California

(This last link is for California, but I believe it contains a lot of good info in general)

lawyers are so predictable. and self indulgance

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"...this is or should not be a format for lawyers to enrich their professions. Most states have adept of health and senior services. Theses professionals can advise  without predjuice. THe lawyers should calm down and consider the question at hand....".

Sorry. I'm ex IT and caseworker, retired for a decade. I was only making the point that it's one's responsibility to try to understand the basics of wills and estates, but a lawyer can be the best resource and advocate for you.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gk8452 wrote:

this is or should not be a format for lawyers to enrich their professions. Most states have adept of health and senior services. Theses professionals can advise  without predjuice. THe lawyers should calm down and consider the question at hand.

Neither of the people who've posted in response to this are lawyers, but I've personally used legal services for things this important, and know that a lawyer will go beyond what the law states, to what's BEST FOR THEIR CLIENT & FAMILY .. and there's a big difference there.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry to give you a bigger assignment, but it would probably be a good idea if YOU selected a book, that both of you can read & talk about! People should have a Will done, when they start accumulating assets, or have dependents, and that should also open the door to estate planning in general. If your mother is 75, you're probably in your 40s; time to get ahead of the curve!! ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP