Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ever consider retiring to a college town?

Message 1 of 14

no

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Before retiring to a college town make sure it offers all you plan to do when you retire. I moved to a town with 3 colleges. Thought I would take a few courses most colleges offer to Seniors for free and get another degree or subsitute teach to make extra money  No free courses here, woman in admissions asked me why did I want to get a Doctorate (not that they had the kind I wanted) to substitute here scares me because the neighborhoods are all mixed together good and bad. In other words I assumed they would have these things. Just check it ll out before.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

It's my dream to retire to a particular college town which I won't name here. But college towns have so much culture to offer with their sports, drama, music, and other programs that are offered to the public. Not to mention that many offer Continuing Ed classes that are usually of "special interest" and often inexpensive. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

I have lived in Champaign, IL and loved it and am currently living in Carbondale, IL and loving it even more. For my money college towns are the best. Carbondale is blessed with great scenery, wineries, cheap cost of living and lots of characters, I mean character. I really love it. However I am not yet retired but will probably retire to one of these towns.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

I like Jonesboro Arkansas, a city of about 75,000 and home to Arkansas State University.  It is very senior friendly, has low crime and very clean and progressive.  There's a medium sized hospital and doctors of all specialities, several grocery stores and places to shop.  The cost of living seems to be cheaper than most places.  There's a nice park on the south side of town with bike trails, exercise stations and a large fishing lake.  Memphis is about an hour away.  Another plus, anyone over the age of sixty can get a tuition waver at the university.  

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

No thanks.  Too many loud frat parties and the beer costs more in college towns!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

I grew up in a college town.  It was beautiful back then and you could walk to everything.  The college turned in to a university and the growth began and not in a good way.  There is every chain eatery and chain store you could imagine with all the beautiful landscape cluttered with malls and lackluster shopping.  The entire city revolves around JMU and it's students.  No thanks.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

You make some good points.  You would likely always be the oldest at any gathering.  Well just a thought.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Hello @jamessurratt, thanks for sharing your endorsement of Iowa City. Sounds like a great option for retirement living!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Retiring to a college town--yes!

Message 10 of 14

Hello @cm2216799, thanks for contributing to the AARP Online Community.  I'm not aware of an instance in the forums where we would make a specific recommendation about an assisted living community. If there's something we can help you with, please reach out to a customer service agent at 1-888-687-2277

Kudos
Views