Reply
Regular Contributor

Did You Have To Leave An Area You Loved Because You Simply Couldn't Afford To Retire There?

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!

12,605 Views
62
Report
Social Butterfly

No.
0 Kudos
6,747 Views
0
Report
Contributor

Hi everyone! I fit in this box so I thought I would throw my situation in the hat. I retired last year due to mostly health issues (two knee surgeries and stress). I currently live in Sacramento, CA and going through foreclosure. Cost of living is insane. Rent is higher than an average mortgage. But worst of all is the WATER shortage! Water is metered and is costing me $250 a month for garbage, sewer, and water. Califoria will be known as the brown lawn state. They are really outlawing water use to the max. Crime is up and it's crowded with rude people and horrible traffic.
So, I just decided today to leave Sacramento and move to Oregon. Got accepted for a real nice two bedroom duplex for $700 a month, water and garbage included. I can water my lawn, have a garden and wash my car in my driveway! The people in Bend, Oregon are peaceful and friendly and the location is perfect for outdoor fun at the various lakes and rivers. I am excited to retire in small town USA!
Periodic Contributor

Great - you really lucked out!!  I lived in Hawaii for over 30 years, split from my spouse last year, and obviously couldn't afford to stay there on just my income alone.  The only place I could afford to move to was the South so  I am now in a cheap-to-live-in area but am so bored I can't stand it.  There is very little going on in this town - no library, no movie theaters, no art/entertainment venues, no classes to take for fun and to keep my brain active, very little quality shopping, etc.  For the life of me I don't know what people do around here!  I'm hoping to move again (next year maybe) but on my small fixed income, there's not much I can afford anywhere.  Would really like to be much closer to the ocean again.  Does anybody have any suggestions on affordable communities near the water?

Newbie

Hi, I live in Spring Hill FL and love it here. The neighborhood that we live in is great and we’re right around the corner from everything and the Gulf! I seriously couldn’t ask for more including health care. It’s a small town feel with a lot to do. Hope something perfect comes along for you. Blessings to you 😇
0 Kudos
3,135 Views
1
Report
Contributor

Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos
3,125 Views
0
Report
Contributor

Check out Clearwater FL. It is close to the water. Plenty to do. Cheaper here than nearby towns of Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs and Clearwater Beach but close enough to all of these for medical needs and fun events. Plenty of senior communities that are affordable either rent or purchase in Clearwater. Countryside Mall is very close by, restaurants in the mall and around that are inexpensive. Libraries, art shows, Music, and Theaters. Lots of Mom and Pop fast food type without being a chain. Check it out, you might find what you need. We have moved all over the country and this is the most affordable with what we like too. Good luck.

0 Kudos
4,961 Views
0
Report
Contributor

Re Im7199927:

Thanks for your post! We are considering Roseville, but I am very worried about the water shortage! I've been to Bend, or at least through it, on a driving trip through Oregon, and I wish you well! Oregon is SO beautiful! We could sell our Bay Area house and buy a house outright in Roseville, moderate priced, but the water shortage and the higher heating/cooling bills will wipe out the total housing cost difference, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you! : )

0 Kudos
6,773 Views
0
Report
Super Contributor

After reading everyone's comments, personally I would prefer a blue state since I've been a New Yorker my entire life & considering I'm 20 min. from Hillary Clinton's house (met them 1x when they were looking to move here from the White House).  Anyway, the core issue for us must be financial.  Ideally, it would be great if we could live in our home state or a similar one with a low cost of living, low taxes & great medical care.  Unfortunately, not all 50 states have this, so we must weigh retirement survival vs. idealism.  This is an individual decision but reality does set in at retirement and you're faced with enjoying your freedom with the money in your bank account.  Once the money is gone, you can't return to work & collect another paycheck.

Contributor

yes the mountains of Arizon were much less expensive than courpus chridti TX
0 Kudos
7,005 Views
0
Report
Contributor

I live in NY. I cannot remain here now that I am not working. Taxes are so high. My biggest problem as others also have is real estate has not rebounded and properties like mine are not selling so I can move.
Contributor

We are beginning to contemplate this. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The climate is hard to beat, but the cost of housing is getting higher and higher. We've looked at other areas in Northern California, but it's so darn HOT in the summer in some of the areas around Sacramento, for instance. Like some of the other posters, we wish to stay in a blue state. Oregon is a possibility, but we do wonder about the many fewer sunny days per year. Has anyone moved to Oregon from California? Any observations? Thanks! 

Periodic Contributor

My wife and I currently live in Florida but plan to head to Middle America in the next year. We are looking at TN, KY or NC.

 

The strange fact is that I am a native Floridian, born and raised in pre-Disney Orlando. The suburb I grew up in, “Pine Hills”, used to be a great, safe neighborhood. Today most folks know it as “Crime Hills.” This state has gone to “HE Double L” in a hand basket over the last 25 years.

 

I can tell you that Florida is no longer a retirement destination. I say that for a number of reasons.

 

First is cost of housing.

Compared to some places around the US the cost for a place to live is fairly high depending on where you go.  I can buy a home in TN, KY or NC that is twice to three times the square footage as the one I bought here for about 30% less than I paid here.  

 

Other expenses are not that bad but higher than the states we are looking at. The recent recession did make finding a home a bit better because so many people lost their homes.

 

It’s probably a generalization but Florida is sort of like 3 states. South Florida, Central Florida and North Florida. The cost of living is the highest in South Florida and the lowest in North Florida.

 

The second is the culture and infrastructure. First off, let’s face it it’s a beach state and caters to the youth market.  If you are not young you don’t count in Central and South Florida. The population is very transient. If you live in Florida, there's only a little more than a one-in-three chance you were born in this state. In fact, Florida has the second-lowest rate of population made up by native-born residents of that state in the entire nation.

 

You can live in a restricted community like we do but you end up living in an island surrounded by dangerous neighborhoods.

 

Because the population is so young and transient many folks have very liberal ideas about religion, political issues, social issues, family values and lifestyles. I admit, I am an old coot that is set in my ways, but I have a right to disagree with them.  I remember back in the 60’s when I was young I had a lot of dumb ideas too. A stint in the military and working hard to raise a family have markedly changed my world view. There is also a huge drug culture. When I was young they said the drugs would kill me. Of course now at my age they say I’ll die if I don’t take my drugs. Go figure. (Old joke, sorry.)

 

The Associated Press says that Florida is the number-one nuttiest state in America, measured by news output. Mostly that is caused by the under 35 crowd. That’s all the dumb stuff that used to come out of CA, now mostly comes from Florida. I blame it on the heat and humidity. That and dumb people.

 

On top of that, 23 percent of Floridians were born outside the continental United States.  Both South and Central Florida is heavily Hispanic. Spanish is the most common language heard at the shopping center or grocery store anywhere south of Orlando. South is more Hispanic, (mostly Cuban) than Central (A mix, Mexican, South American and Cuban.)  But the according to the U.S. Census the Hispanic community around Orlando is the fastest growing Hispanic community in the world.   There are other ethnic populations. Here in Orlando there is a large Vietnamese community.

 

I don’t speak Spanish and am probably too old to learn another language. I couldn’t do it when I was in school so I doubt I’d be able to do it now. My wife doses speak Spanish and when we come across a store clerk does not speak English or that because of the accent I can’t understand, she translates for me.  

 

Third, Population. Too darn many people. I live in Central Florida, the theme park capital of the world. There are 20 million people living in all of Florida and 80 million visitors, mostly to South and Central Florida each year.  That means over crowded roads, drivers that are often not used to heavy traffic or from other countries in the world that know few of our rules.  Driving on I-4 at rush hour is taking your life in your hands.

 

South and Central Florida has been unable to update the infrastructure to keep up with the increase in population over the past 25 years. Most schools have classes in portable trailers because they can’t build the schools fast enough. The roads and bridges are a disaster. Problems with the power grid (Power lines and Hurricanes don’t mix. You would think they would bury the lines here.), water shortages, sewage issues you name it.

 

North Florida is usually called South Georgia by Floridians. From Gainesville up it’s a very different culture.

 

So, in short it will be cheaper to live outside of Florida in our retirement years.

 

In this post I probably come across as a bigot and racist. I don’t believe I am.  I currently live in a 55 and older community. My neighbors and friends are of every race, creed and color you can think of. The one think that brings us together is the experience of age. It overrides all other titles.

Gold Conversationalist

Dear js50558880,

On a recent visit to "The Villages", Florida  I was amazed how many people are

happy and enjoying life.  This place is a mecca for seniors.  It is pristine

and kept to a standard that is superior to any other senior living community

I've visited.  People from NY and the midwest flock there every winter. 

I realize this is an artificial environment, but who cares....it is safe and has

plenty of things for seniors to do.  I can't wait to go again!


js50558880 wrote:

 

My wife and I currently live in Florida but plan to head to Middle America in the next year. We are looking at TN, KY or NC.

 

The strange fact is that I am a native Floridian, born and raised in pre-Disney Orlando. The suburb I grew up in, “Pine Hills”, used to be a great, safe neighborhood. Today most folks know it as “Crime Hills.” This state has gone to “HE Double L” in a hand basket over the last 25 years.

 

I can tell you that Florida is no longer a retirement destination. I say that for a number of reasons.

 

First is cost of housing.

Compared to some places around the US the cost for a place to live is fairly high depending on where you go.  I can buy a home in TN, KY or NC that is twice to three times the square footage as the one I bought here for about 30% less than I paid here.  

 

Other expenses are not that bad but higher than the states we are looking at. The recent recession did make finding a home a bit better because so many people lost their homes.

 

It’s probably a generalization but Florida is sort of like 3 states. South Florida, Central Florida and North Florida. The cost of living is the highest in South Florida and the lowest in North Florida.

 

The second is the culture and infrastructure. First off, let’s face it it’s a beach state and caters to the youth market.  If you are not young you don’t count in Central and South Florida. The population is very transient. If you live in Florida, there's only a little more than a one-in-three chance you were born in this state. In fact, Florida has the second-lowest rate of population made up by native-born residents of that state in the entire nation.

 

You can live in a restricted community like we do but you end up living in an island surrounded by dangerous neighborhoods.

 

Because the population is so young and transient many folks have very liberal ideas about religion, political issues, social issues, family values and lifestyles. I admit, I am an old coot that is set in my ways, but I have a right to disagree with them.  I remember back in the 60’s when I was young I had a lot of dumb ideas too. A stint in the military and working hard to raise a family have markedly changed my world view. There is also a huge drug culture. When I was young they said the drugs would kill me. Of course now at my age they say I’ll die if I don’t take my drugs. Go figure. (Old joke, sorry.)

 

The Associated Press says that Florida is the number-one nuttiest state in America, measured by news output. Mostly that is caused by the under 35 crowd. That’s all the dumb stuff that used to come out of CA, now mostly comes from Florida. I blame it on the heat and humidity. That and dumb people.

 

On top of that, 23 percent of Floridians were born outside the continental United States.  Both South and Central Florida is heavily Hispanic. Spanish is the most common language heard at the shopping center or grocery store anywhere south of Orlando. South is more Hispanic, (mostly Cuban) than Central (A mix, Mexican, South American and Cuban.)  But the according to the U.S. Census the Hispanic community around Orlando is the fastest growing Hispanic community in the world.   There are other ethnic populations. Here in Orlando there is a large Vietnamese community.

 

I don’t speak Spanish and am probably too old to learn another language. I couldn’t do it when I was in school so I doubt I’d be able to do it now. My wife doses speak Spanish and when we come across a store clerk does not speak English or that because of the accent I can’t understand, she translates for me.  

 

Third, Population. Too darn many people. I live in Central Florida, the theme park capital of the world. There are 20 million people living in all of Florida and 80 million visitors, mostly to South and Central Florida each year.  That means over crowded roads, drivers that are often not used to heavy traffic or from other countries in the world that know few of our rules.  Driving on I-4 at rush hour is taking your life in your hands.

 

South and Central Florida has been unable to update the infrastructure to keep up with the increase in population over the past 25 years. Most schools have classes in portable trailers because they can’t build the schools fast enough. The roads and bridges are a disaster. Problems with the power grid (Power lines and Hurricanes don’t mix. You would think they would bury the lines here.), water shortages, sewage issues you name it.

 

North Florida is usually called South Georgia by Floridians. From Gainesville up it’s a very different culture.

 

So, in short it will be cheaper to live outside of Florida in our retirement years.

 

In this post I probably come across as a bigot and racist. I don’t believe I am.  I currently live in a 55 and older community. My neighbors and friends are of every race, creed and color you can think of. The one think that brings us together is the experience of age. It overrides all other titles.


 

10,009 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

I enjoy your style of writing.  Your humor, mixed with truths, go down easy. No you are not a bigot. Good luck.

0
Kudos
3434
Views
Periodic Contributor

I love your style of writing - you should write more. You mix truths with humor which make your words go down easier: kind of like my favorite writer Samuel Clemens. You are funny and wise at the same time and have a lot of horse sense and no you are not a bigot. Good luck on your endeavors.


@js50558880 wrote:

My wife and I currently live in Florida but plan to head to Middle America in the next year. We are looking at TN, KY or NC.

 

The strange fact is that I am a native Floridian, born and raised in pre-Disney Orlando. The suburb I grew up in, “Pine Hills”, used to be a great, safe neighborhood. Today most folks know it as “Crime Hills.” This state has gone to “HE Double L” in a hand basket over the last 25 years.

 

I can tell you that Florida is no longer a retirement destination. I say that for a number of reasons.

 

First is cost of housing.

Compared to some places around the US the cost for a place to live is fairly high depending on where you go.  I can buy a home in TN, KY or NC that is twice to three times the square footage as the one I bought here for about 30% less than I paid here.  

 

Other expenses are not that bad but higher than the states we are looking at. The recent recession did make finding a home a bit better because so many people lost their homes.

 

It’s probably a generalization but Florida is sort of like 3 states. South Florida, Central Florida and North Florida. The cost of living is the highest in South Florida and the lowest in North Florida.

 

The second is the culture and infrastructure. First off, let’s face it it’s a beach state and caters to the youth market.  If you are not young you don’t count in Central and South Florida. The population is very transient. If you live in Florida, there's only a little more than a one-in-three chance you were born in this state. In fact, Florida has the second-lowest rate of population made up by native-born residents of that state in the entire nation.

 

You can live in a restricted community like we do but you end up living in an island surrounded by dangerous neighborhoods.

 

Because the population is so young and transient many folks have very liberal ideas about religion, political issues, social issues, family values and lifestyles. I admit, I am an old coot that is set in my ways, but I have a right to disagree with them.  I remember back in the 60’s when I was young I had a lot of dumb ideas too. A stint in the military and working hard to raise a family have markedly changed my world view. There is also a huge drug culture. When I was young they said the drugs would kill me. Of course now at my age they say I’ll die if I don’t take my drugs. Go figure. (Old joke, sorry.)

 

The Associated Press says that Florida is the number-one nuttiest state in America, measured by news output. Mostly that is caused by the under 35 crowd. That’s all the dumb stuff that used to come out of CA, now mostly comes from Florida. I blame it on the heat and humidity. That and dumb people.

 

On top of that, 23 percent of Floridians were born outside the continental United States.  Both South and Central Florida is heavily Hispanic. Spanish is the most common language heard at the shopping center or grocery store anywhere south of Orlando. South is more Hispanic, (mostly Cuban) than Central (A mix, Mexican, South American and Cuban.)  But the according to the U.S. Census the Hispanic community around Orlando is the fastest growing Hispanic community in the world.   There are other ethnic populations. Here in Orlando there is a large Vietnamese community.

 

I don’t speak Spanish and am probably too old to learn another language. I couldn’t do it when I was in school so I doubt I’d be able to do it now. My wife doses speak Spanish and when we come across a store clerk does not speak English or that because of the accent I can’t understand, she translates for me.  

 

Third, Population. Too darn many people. I live in Central Florida, the theme park capital of the world. There are 20 million people living in all of Florida and 80 million visitors, mostly to South and Central Florida each year.  That means over crowded roads, drivers that are often not used to heavy traffic or from other countries in the world that know few of our rules.  Driving on I-4 at rush hour is taking your life in your hands.

 

South and Central Florida has been unable to update the infrastructure to keep up with the increase in population over the past 25 years. Most schools have classes in portable trailers because they can’t build the schools fast enough. The roads and bridges are a disaster. Problems with the power grid (Power lines and Hurricanes don’t mix. You would think they would bury the lines here.), water shortages, sewage issues you name it.

 

North Florida is usually called South Georgia by Floridians. From Gainesville up it’s a very different culture.

 

So, in short it will be cheaper to live outside of Florida in our retirement years.

 

In this post I probably come across as a bigot and racist. I don’t believe I am.  I currently live in a 55 and older community. My neighbors and friends are of every race, creed and color you can think of. The one think that brings us together is the experience of age. It overrides all other titles.


 

Contributor

I'm in northern IL.  I lost my last full time job when I was 59.  I have been working very part time since then.  First living on savings and husband's sevivor benefits from social security; now I'm on my social security.  I still have a morgage on the house that eats up over half of the s.s. check.  With utilities going up, groceries going up, gas going up, medical costs goin gup and social security staying the same and threats of loosing it - I an considering selling my home and moving to southern IL.  The housing costs are a little less; property taxes are less and the hospitals aren't as good as here.  But, I think I can survive there.  My younger sister is there and I can make new friends.  I hate to leave all that I have know - I was raised in this area - but I have to survvie some how.

Periodic Contributor

My job was in jeopardy and I rented in Brooklyn, costs so high I could barely afford to go to work. I didn't want to leave NYC but no rent anywhere under 1500 month and have to live in fear of next increase or sale of building. So while still working bought condo with mortgage in Florida in 55+ development. Lost job had to move in hurry:It's lonely, have no friends or family, but I hope I can afford to live here ongoing.
0
Kudos
3434
Views
Periodic Contributor

Loneliness is no good for anyone. I would join a small church, not a large one, a small one, because people get to know each other and are more friendlier and take care of each other, whether you believe in God or not. That's a start. Just be yourself and join activities there in church and the rest will come. Take care.

Contributor

My dilema is that I moved into a senior mobile home park 9 years ago.  My space rent was quite affordable and I planned to retire within 5 years.  The rent had not been raised but once in 12 years prior. Every year since then the rent goes up so I have had to continue working.  I put my place on the market two years ago so I could help take care of my aging mother. I have had nearly twenty people with cash want to purchase my home but when they go to fill out the paperwork, they are told they don't qualify. When I retire I won't qualify to live there either as your income has to be three times what the space rent is.  This is an unfair ruling the management has imposed on residents unless you are on "HUD". I can't sell and can't retire... I am currently composing a letter to my congressman and assemlyman about this rule that is basically pricing people out of their mobile homes with no avenue for escape. JAH Santa Ana, CA

Periodic Contributor

Wow, the rent increase sounds so unfair. It seems to me they are trying to push people out so they can sell the property. Not fair, but it's their land and they don't care about you or anyone else and to make matter worse they make it hard for you to sell your trailer. They don't want people to move in no matter what. I guess the only thing to do is move your trailer to another park, if you can find one, or buy a little piece of land and park your trailer there, maybe out of town on land that nobody wants, my husband and I see little trailers all over the place 10 miles out of town: you might have to travel a bit further to shop and stuff, but it it's your land and taxes would be hardly nothing too.

0 Kudos
6,802 Views
0
Report
Contributor

I also live in MA on the northshore in Marblehead. I am considering a move to the Jersey Shore in a 55+ community . I will be renting as I do now, although the new unit will be a little smaller. The complex has great ammenities (heated pool, clubhouse,.movie theater, fitness center etc and is only 15 mins from the beach) It does appear to be a little cheaper there than here (utilities, auto insurance, food etc), although I will have to get new health insurance as I am retired from the State of MA and get good coverage now. But even that is changing and I feel with the Affordable Care Act I can get something for the same money in NJ. I am only 63 but can go back on MA insurance for Medicare so I only need new insurance for a year or so). I was looking at Savannah as the cost of living is about 30% cheaper but I do like the seasons and also prefer to live in a "blue state" (hopefully Christie will move on when he loses the nomination). It is a scary decision but I grew up in NJ and really miss the people even though I have lived in MA for almost 30 years. Most of my family still lives in northern NJ but my son lives in Marblehead so that will be the hardest part if I move. I figure if I don't like it in a year I can always try to move back or go someplace else.

Contributor

I have lived in CT for over 20 years and I love my neighborhood, church, friends, relatives, etc. the taxes and cost of living here is just unacceptable and not affordable. This is a Democrat controlled State so the economy is terrible and taxes too high. We are moving to Florida where the costs are much more reasonable. Follow the Republicans if you want a State with a strong economy, low taxes, better health care and overall quality of life.
Gold Conversationalist



Dear rm92968539, 

I agree.....Florida here we come!  May I ask where you plan to live in Florida?

COTTAGE.jpg


rm92968539 wrote:
I have lived in CT for over 20 years and I love my neighborhood, church, friends, relatives, etc. the taxes and cost of living here is just unacceptable and not affordable. This is a Democrat controlled State so the economy is terrible and taxes too high. We are moving to Florida where the costs are much more reasonable. Follow the Republicans if you want a State with a strong economy, low taxes, better health care and overall quality of life.

 

 

0 Kudos
8,187 Views
0
Report
Super Contributor

Catrheaper - Welcome to My World!  We live in a NYC suburb (more expensive than Cape Cod)

Retire in the NYC region after we've lived here our entire lives?  Are we crazy?  Currently, we've only been retired since Aug. 1st (last yr.).  We spent the next 5 months taking care of my father in law who unfortunately passed away in Dec.  Then we went into home renovation mode which just completed last month & we've been cleaning up, throwing unnecessary stuff out, donations, etc.  At this stage, we haven't really enjoyed retirement yet.  We've been tracking our budget & so far we're OK, but the future is a big ?.  We live in a 2 bedroom co-op apartment and monthly maintenance (HOA) fee is $1100./month + utilities + mortgage + owning 2 cars + food, etc.  Fortunately, our income is sufficient to cover our expenses, but I did my research & it's disheartening to learn how much cheaper cost of living & housing is esp. in the midwest & south. 

For what it's worth, I did research on quality medical care & guess what - the best medical care in the U.S. is the Northeast, Midwest & Western states.  Forget southern states - they rank dead last.  So for us northeasterners living in high costly states, I'm ready to move to the midwest - good medical care, low cost of living & low taxes.  Both of us will have to adjust to the culture - your Boston accent & my NY accent will have us marked immediately.

Regular Contributor

Goldye, I don't know how you would classify Oklahoma.  We live in a suburb considered affluent but we have a range of incomes.  We have what we call the Oklahoma Standard--we relish in helping others.  My neighbor of 20 years is NY born and bred and she totally loves OK.  Because of our low cost of living, Northern/Northeastern companies often relocate here.  Some of these transplants tell us they came here "kicking and screaming," but they could not imagine their good fortune.  Some tell us they could buy a "mansion" here compared to their 2 or 3br frame home in the Northeast for similar or even cheaper money.  They delight in knowing their neighbors and being able to "borrow that cup of sugar" or "conference on the driveways."

 

You mention medical care.  OKC and Tulsa are superior.  OKC in the last decade or so has become known nationally for its medical research.  We have always found exceptional physicians, hospitals, therapists, etc.  

 

Granted, you would find perhaps a different culture, medical component, etc. in the tiny rural towns that dot our state, but do give the large metropolitan areas a consideration.

1
Kudos
11756
Views
Conversationalist

Oklahoma is and always has been high on our list for retirement places. We live in the upper Midwest so your climate would be a huge improvement for us. I have a few small health issues that make the cold we have here unbearable for me and that would be our main factor for moving further south since we don't live in a really high cost area.

 

I wouldn't personally want to live in small town OK, but then again, I'd never again live in a small town up here either. The COL is lower in OK then in most of the country. My husband is on medicare now, but I still need ins. and your premiums are a spit in the ocean compared to most areas, including mine. The cost of apartments, utilities, gas, etc.are well below the national average.

 

We prefer the eastern side of OK and I doubt many people know what a beautiful area it is. We have a friend who has battled cancer twice and has to travel over 600 miles to get there, but goes to Tulsa to the Cancer Institute and raves about it. The people seem friendly and welcoming so we couldn't ask for much more.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Periodic Contributor

Bunny5580: my husband and I moved to Enid, Oklahoma from central Texas two years ago. We did it because there was no way we would ever be able to pay off our home there and still retire and as I had enormous medical bills it just made sense to sell the place, pay off the bills and move. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with the idea of moving here at first, but Enid has a small town feel to it even though there are over 50K people living here. The COL is so much better than it was in Texas too. Our home , a small two bedroom bungalow, just over 1000 sq ft, was less than 20K...our 1200 sq ft home in Texas was 95K........the added state income tax is neglible compared to the sales taxes in Texas...........the income for most jobs is on average >65 per hour less but the benefits are enormous. After 11 years in the same jobs and home in Texas we 'knew" 3 couples nearby and were able to count on one couple as friends...here we have found many couples that we can easily count on when we need assistance. It was honestly the best move we ever made.

Super Contributor

Thanks. I would consider OK City and Tulsa. Not fond of rural towns.
Honored Social Butterfly


@catrheaper wrote:

I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and I moved here about a dozen years ago. I love my friends, my church, my doctors (I am a cancer survivor, and we have a great health care system in the Bay State). The problem is, I don't have enough to retire here, because there is simply no affordable senior housing except subsidized housing that is tiny, depressing and few and far between with an incredibly long waiting list. With my ex-husband's social security that I would collect after I retire, it looks like I would have too much income to qualify for one of them anyway. I live in a small apartment as it is, and have no family here. 

My sisters live in Florida, but they are constantly complaining about how the Republican government (I guess this is the case with the majority of Southern states) is making life harder and harder for the poor and elderly. I worry that I wouldn't be able to find the quality of medical care I have in Massachusetts, and if the Republican Congress does away with Medicare, it might be the only safe state to stay in where you can keep your health insurance. 

Did any of you have to make this hard choice? Where did you live and where did you end up retiring to? Or did you just stay put, grit your teeth, tighten your belt and learn to live more lean? How did it go? Did you regret your decision? Did it turn out to be a good thing? Did you wish you had stayed put? Thanks!


You live in a beautiful area.. after spending some time there I called it Mercedes world.  We talked to some of the local workers who said that living there was extremely difficult cost wise, kind of like NYC.  So considering the costs;  is there the possibility of co-housing, shared living with a friend or relative?   It is sad that  you have to make a choice but at least you do have family that you would be near and as we age that is important as well.  Can you take some time to stay in Florida and see how you would like it?   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
9,773 Views
3
Report
Regular Contributor

I was considering Florida because my sisters live there, but I kid you not, they just announced on Facebook that when they are retired they are moving back to West Virginia where we grew up. I don't know how that would go; everybody we knew has either moved away or passed away. I moved away from home before either of them - I have lived almost twice as long in the Northeast than I ever did in WV. Even though I have very fond memories, it's not my home anymore and I can't see ever moving back. 

0 Kudos
8,620 Views
2
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health