Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

Rewards Catalog is Horrible!

Hello Rewards Warriors

Have you noticed the catalog is horrible?  Everything is for sale with very small discounts, and many offers for only the East coast.

Sunglass Hut card for $20, and there cheapest shades start at $49.50 plus shipping😢

What would you like to see in the catalog?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors

There is nothing of value in the catalog. 

The points only deals are so random, one would need to be on website literally non-stop to caught the deal before it's SOLD OUT.  @AARPTeri could you post the list again for date of Points Only deals, so we know what day to be looking?

Purchase deals with a small discounts😢  The purpose of letting us obtain so many points to lose was job security.  Putting items of value for points in the catalog is what will keep members on the site earning points.

How do you feel about the catalog?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Periodic Contributor

I know this is an old post, but the problem still exists. I have never, ever seen a points only reward that wasn't already SOLD OUT. As someone said in an earlier reply, if I could afford to buy gift cards, I wouldn't be buying them here. The bitty discounts you get on the other cards can be found in many other places, ones that don't require a membership fee. And sometimes even greater discounts on gift cards.

Gold Conversationalist

@carlmittain   Phone soap is an electric cell phone sanitizer.   I googled it and found the basic model sells for about $50 and the one that is a charger also up to $100.    How that $25 offer is redeemed is another question.  Whether one can take it to Best Buy where a basic one is selling for $50 (no charger) is another question....or does one have to order it from a certain place and the $25 is a coupon/discount from a higher priced place.  

I don't use streaming so much, either, but some I know have cut the cable cord and use services like Hulu, etc. instead.  We get Starz so I was excited to see a $25 offer for that at one time.  Then I read the fine print and it was only for streaming, not getting it through your cable company.    Those offers are not for me, either, but I figure some people might want them and use their three redemptions that way, freeing other things for the rest of us.  

Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Hey Hokie 

Thanks for your info...I also wondered what phone soap was so now know but still not sure why would have need? ¿? assuming for folks out amongst virus risks cleaning their phone? Correct? 

@carlmittain 

Carl it does seem strange choices their offering... Dunkin Donuts $3 really is good deal for that few points.... old timers may recall with old Rewards program when I'd/we'd get orders of Daily Deals back then at times they'd include a free $3 coupon for Dunkin personally I had no use for I'm a Krispy Kreme lover but my best friend made good use of them getting her morning coffee....

Like Hokie stated guess they trying reach needs of many different folks and indeed it'll use up their 3 month limit 

Well thanks for sharing hope we all get something nice soon 

Stay safe and enjoy your day! 

Ginger  ;  )

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271   Yes, I'd think it for those who want to clean to get rid of germs/viruses.  Seeing where some people take their phones, it might not be a bad idea.

Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Thanks Hokie

Just thought about my DIL she's dropped her phone in toilet several times plus other weird stuff.... reckon there is a need.... also quite catching name 'phone soap' think I'll do some checking into might be nice gift thanks! 

Ginger  ;  )

Conversationalist

Phone Soap is a UV Sanitizing Device.It kills 99.9% of common household germs, including bacteria that leads to E. Coli, Salmonella, Staph, Flu, and the common cold.It isn't suppose to damage your phone.I have one and use it as an extra precaution.Phones in general have lots of germs.

Gold Conversationalist

@al45009948   I think the problem is the middle man, not the sponsors.   I think it's highly likely that a number of the companies such as magazines have donated the product and it's now being sold.   Or that cards are being bought a discount and sold for more.  That I can see myself comparing prices.   Program administrator is profiting under the guise of "rewards".   I've gotten some nice gift cards which I appreciate. Now the number of participants has gotten too high for the number of rewards.....or they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at the end of the year.  I am not sure what kind of contract AARP has with this company (which has been named but I forget...) but it either needs to renegotiate or a new company needs to be put in place to administer the program.   And AARP needs to stop sending emails recruiting new participants promising big rewards when it's actually very difficult to redeem points for anything meaningful.  Someone has suggested that rewards be restricted to members only, a good idea for the points only deals for sure.   

Gold Conversationalist

@annpala   I went and looked and it says "delivered as a digital code"  I print them when I get one.  Not a very pretty gift, though.   I also saw it had to be redeemed through the Uber app.   I imagine your person uses that.   If you belong to a warehouse club, there are packs of various cards available at bigger discounts although I have not seen Uber.   They are actual cards which look nice using them as gifts.   In the past I've bought Starbucks and given to hairdresser, etc.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Catalog is worthless.  I fear this will become normal.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Bronze Conversationalist

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. You'd think these so called Sponsors would want to donate more gift cards especially to AARP large membership base to shop on their website and possibly spend more money on their website. I guess AARP gets more pennies on the dollar for items for cash. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Get a load of the "amazing" Daily Deals that are to be bestowed upon us for the rest of this week:

Wednesday: a $25 card for something called "Phone Soap" for 38,000 points. What is Phone Soap??? The picture looks like a smartphone case of some kind, but you can get good, sturdy quality smartphone cases anywhere on the internet for around $6 to $8 and probably free shipping too.

Thursday: a $25 card for something called "Sling TV" for 57,000 points.

This sounds like some kind of internet TV?  This would be fine if you don't mind watching your TV on a 15 to 20 inch screen or on a tiny smartphone. Who would do this? Not many AARP members! That is, if they've even heard of Sling TV...I haven't, and I'm on the internet 8 to 9 hours per day.

Friday: a $3 card for Dunkin' Donuts. No, that wasn't a typo. They are actually offering a THREE dollar card. And it's "only" 7,500 points too! That's about 2 donuts or 1 1/2 cups of coffee. WOW. How generous and kind of them to offer such a worthwhile reward during this holiday season unlike any other...NOT! How cheap can they possibly be?? This isn't even worth the time to try to compete for it, and they probably only have a few dozen anyway so of course it will sell out in a few minutes.

What a bunch of USELESS STUFF! Ridiculous! THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEGINNING OF THE REWARDS PROGRAM REALLY STARTING TO GET EVEN WORSE....SOON IT WILL BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME...

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to purchase Uber cards as a holiday gift for someone else but there is no information on how the cards are sent. Is it a physical card?  A certificate to print and hand to the person? Please provide some info.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello annpala, I don't know how it works when you purchase a Uber gift card but when I redeemed for points it was a virtual gift card

Concerned Member
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

hello everyone just wanted to say, I know it's no surprise to , but have you noticed that there is only the same 6 Items For Points for the past 2 weeks. Is AARP REWARDS people waiting for December 30 to post some decent Rewards? I still have about 1 half weeks before I can Redeem my points for a item. I just hope they'll have something Good. What was up with that 12 Weeks of Good Rewards or what ever it was? One more thing, this months Extra Credit is horrible. I'm out. 

Also thank you mi4090 for the Promo Codes 👍

Concerned Member
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @al45009948 

There are days I completely miss coming to site now, nothing in catalog to use points on.  

The way program set up now, mostly everything for sale. 

Jan. 1, 2021 points will start disappearing. Beginning of year the "Points Only" Gift Cards and Deals will appear for an outrageous amount of points for $5 or $10 value.

Rewards pprogram and catalog is horrible.😢

You are welcome @al45009948 glad to help😊

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

I totally agree!  I hardly ever check the rewards page and when I did I was horrified to see that they wanted me to use 10K points for a 5.00 CVS card.  It seems they want to give you less for more, the prior rewards were so much better, I was able to get some good magazine subscriptions.  If it stays like this, they should just do away with it, its a total waste of time to get all these points and when its time to redeem them you are not getting anything of real value.  In addition, what is with all these sweepstakes?  As seniors we have enough to worry about, it does not help that the organization put here to help us doesn't have our best interest at heart.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @al45009948 

I don't believe anyone at Rewards truly knows what a deal is or what value means😢

Their goal is to make seniors a cash cow😢

The catalog is still horrible since I posted.  I guess I'll ever get my ACE badge back now😂

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Regular Contributor

Agreed. I don't even bother anymore to go to the AARP rewards website anymore. The only interesting things are the free games/ crosswords. They definitely need more points only rewards. I am reconsidering renewing my membership. I don't use those perks either. Also, tired of AARP junk mail for life and car insurance in my post every week...

Community Concierge

We hope you stay with us, @PaulineC593962. Feel free to customize your communications from your online account or send me a private message with your mailing address or membership number and I'll adjust your mailing preferences. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090   Thanks for the info about the location of the company running the program.  I did not know that.    Safeway is in the DC metropolitan area....but not where I live unfortunately.  That explains that one.   Many of the others I have not heard of even though I live on the east coast.   Perhaps some of them are west coast, I don't know.  

At any rate, it seems everyone agrees the program this month has seen a significant downgrade.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

None of grocery card chains in my city, and the discount is not worth the trouble.  Kroger, Costco, Sam's Club here are good but most other grocery stores here add 10% to your total.

They're performing maintenance on catalog today, patience is a virtue😉.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Andrew, I got the max on some of the streaming services which won't expire till next year, no money paid.  Also, got (2) Panera Bread which I'll use for my daughter's birthday lunch this month😉 All this was within the first (3) months.  I will also be watching and waiting for all buildup that was pushed out about how great this program was😯

@a170938b those cards would be great for "Points Only" and we've been asking for them a long time.  I'd love to see Kroger cards.  Does management know what value means?  Guess not, look at how the valued paying members are treated😢

@HokiePoq there are very few options in other parts of the U.S.  Internet stores with small discounts and huge prices plus shipping, or something no one wants.  Merkel is located in Columbia, MD.  Isn't that the company that owns Hello World?😕  Things aren't looking good.

@rednexsrus 

Lucy, I stopped the Sweeps in the R4G program, entered almost all and never won.  I call it the Points Graveyard😆. It seems to be common for at least (1) Community Manager to say something, if any at all.  Hoping for better days😊

@shamit  at least we all agree that it's the worst so far.  It would the sad to end after using us to keep up the numbers to a site that promised so much at the start 😢

@AARPJessicaT are we really valued customers?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@mi4090 

Hi Marylin: It's so sad😫. Horrible is a a kind word for the current catalog. Can you believe that we are presented with only one ( 1 ) Sweepstakes as of this morning. 😡😡

To make matters even worse have you noticed that not one single Community Manager has offered any sympathy or concern for the current conditions with this current rewards program. I suppose they are just concerned for their positions.

Just Saying

lucyp061351
Conversationalist

Yes the Rewards Catalog is beyond horrible.  It has never been that great, but I did notice it took a huge downturn after they announced that your points will expire.  Tell us redeem our points and then pretty much have nothing to redeem them on. 

I think they are trying to end this program.  People will stop coming here because there is no reason to.  Then they will say the program is ending due to lack of participation.  Seen it happen on many other programs from other companies.  They make it impossible to use and then blame the customers for not using it.

Social Butterfly

@shamit 

I think you made a good point!  If we don't participate because the catalog is lame, then they can say the rewards program has become irrelevant and shut it down or downscale the offerings to the comparatively inferior levels we are seeing right now on a permanent basis. 

@AARPJessicaT 

Thanks for the response.  We will be watching for recognition that Rewards management is watching for our recommendations.  I will be watching for the points-only opportunities mentioned in this thread to actually appear in the catalog.  I am excited!

Thanks,

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@shamit Your points expire one year after they were earned, on the first day, of the following month. We will be introducing new brands to the catalog and increase the daily limit of individual sweepstakes entries. Giving participants even more chances to win exciting prizes. There will be plenty of time and ways to redeem your points before they start to expire January 1, 2021.

Keep visiting the catalog for new ways for you to redeem points.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

How do we know how many of our points are about to expire? Looking at transaction history does no good unless we add up all the points over the 12 month previous, which would be ridiculously laborious.

Is there really no other way to find this out?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

When you click on the transaction history you will see a red box that says Earned Points with an arrow.  Click on it and you will see the drop down options.  One of them is for points expiration.  Click on it and it will tell you how many points that will be expiring each month from January 1, 2021 to June 1, 2021.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP