Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Re: Are "Points Only" Gift Cards Gone Forever?

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Are "Points Only" Gift Cards Gone Forever?

Absolutely, "Points Only" gift cards of value that members want !!!

@mi4090 

Community Concierge

@CaliaRose, we appreciate your feedback! Please keep checking the AARP Rewards catalog as we continue adding new items.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@AARPDianaG  But did you pass my request on to the appropriate department? My subscription expires in Aug. or Sept., so that's why I'm anxious for it to be in stock again.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@CaliaRose  Don’t hold your breath for assistance with catalog rewards offers from the Community Concierge other than the usual canned response. There is nothing they can do for you in this respect. 

That being said, you are in luck as the $25 Hulu eCard just showed up today 7/21 back in the catalog. Hope it works for you, not my cup of tea, toooo many hoops to jump through with these streaming services i.e. Showtime, Starz, Sling, and others. They just make it to difficult to use AARP eGift Cards. On the flip side FandangoNOW is the best and easiest streaming service I have found

Just Saying

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@rednexsrus  I know, just hoping they'd at least pass the message on. But who knows.

Yes, I saw it appear yesterday, but thank you for letting me know, just in case I missed it. I had enough points to redeem two of them, so that extended my expiration from Sept. to Dec., which is really helpful. I'm not many days away from a 3rd, but I don't know if it will go out of stock before then or not. Crossing my fingers it doesn't. I use it for the Disney bundle.

Actually, unlike some other sites, Hulu, so far, has made it easy to use gift cards. I've been able to use them without a credit card on file, just by putting in the code that's in the link included in the confirmation email (very similar to how you use Amazon gift card codes). It only took a few minutes to extend my service, just long enough to open the link in the email and type (or paste) in the code on my Hulu account page. You can't use the gift cards if you purchase the bundle through Disney; you have to purchase it through Hulu.

What I like about Hulu's account page besides the gift card code box is that it tells you exactly when your subscription expires based on how much is left on your card (so you can estimate it before you even enter your gift card), and it uses every bit of the gift card up in the timespan of days, instead of going one month at a time, which is different from what a lot of services do and means you get more time before it expires (basically). My favorite thing about Hulu is having a decent selection of older shows and classics, though it's not guaranteed every episode is there, unfortunately...just depends on the show and the agreement.

I didn't know Fandango had one.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@CaliaRose 

Yeah, and what I really like about FandangoNow is you can download for offline viewing like Netflix. I picked up a $25 gift card just a few days ago. Got to wait till the first of the month for more rewards as I have reached my measly 3 rewards limit. 

Your detail description of Hulu features and ease of use is very interesting and warrants another look on my part, as there are some exciting movie releases available only on Hulu that I would like to see. Can you download for offline viewing?. I am way back in the sticks where they pipe in sunshine, and only have satellite service with a very small WiFi data plan. At least I get free data from midnight until 5am which helps.

Good Talk

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@rednexsrus  I'm not sure about the offline viewing. I kinda doubt it, but I'm not certain. I don't normally do that, just to save space for my personal media (cameras, etc.). Oh you have satellite net. Hmmm...I will say that I've had better luck with lower-ish speed internet with Hulu than Disney. For some reason, Disney seems to take longer to load, but I don't know if that's more app related or net speed related. Is satellite the only option for your area?

I guess you could use Hulu if you're gonna stay up til around 2 am and just watch one movie at a time, maybe on weekends. Hulu may require a credit card for a trial (if they have one), possibly, but it has let me use a gift card by itself each time. I think what happens is the service won't work until you add a card or another gift card, once your current one runs out.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Sad to say but yes, satellite only ( only getting about 10 mbps download, but it’s enough for movies and such). I am usually up most of the time between 1 am to 5 am anyway working AARP REWARDS Quizzes and videos for points
Have a nice day
lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@rednexsrus  If you don't do Disney bundle with Hulu, the $25 Hulu card will get about 4 months, or close to it. If you do the bundle, you'll get around 2. I think it's 5 or 6 something a month. If you need me to check my account and tell you exactly how many days or the exact monthly price, let me know.

I would say if you're gonna be up at that time, it might be worth it to have for 2-4 months, just to watch those movies you wanna see. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@CaliaRose @MemberS2006 

There was another $25 gift card for FandangoNOW available in the rewards catalog 8/1/20. I just had to grab it before it disappeared. Covid-19 is going to keep us staying close to home for some time.

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@rednexsrus  I managed to grab one more Hulu before it went out of stock/disappeared again, which exended my subscription til early next year. Gives me more time to wait for it to come back without being as anxious. Now I'm trying to focus on getting the max points daily, so I'll be ready for at least one (if not 2) by the time it comes back in stock.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

.@Brightpool 

Good morning Brightpool, congrats on the gift cards redeemed 🙂 :). If memory serves me correctly isn’t Outback a part of Blooming Brands. I loved it when the Outback cards appeared in the catalog, I did enjoy the blooming onion 🙂 Sad to say our Outback has now closed permanently because of Covid-19 😞 😞 . We have lost P.F.Chang, & Cararabas also. There are a lot of dining ecards offered in the catalog. I caution everyone to check the status of these establishments before spending your hard earned points. Having an ecard that you cannot use is so disappointing to say the least.

Just Saying

lucyp061351
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @rednexsrus & @andrewtoo 

It's been so all since I've tried a Daily Deal because of $5 card and trouble😢

I'll look now since you mentioned Bed Bath & Beyond for $2500😊.  Haven't tried Free Method in a long time, thinking it's locked after reaching (X) number of wins.

Thanks for the update.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @andrewtoo & @rednexsrus 

Andrew & Lucy looks like we didn't get anything useful after the catalog update😢

Andrew, none of those Kroger chains in my area, but Kroger is here😊

Could we get a break during the pandemic with some $10+ Gas, Kroger, Wal-Mart and Amazon cards for "Points Only" Management😊

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Silver Conversationalist

@mi4090 

Good morning Marylin, we got a $10 Amazon Card in the catalog this morning 6/19/20. Yippee, yay. You go girl 🙂 I picked up one and may go back for another if my luck holds out. I have only one reward left for this month 😞 😞

where have you been girl ?, missed you these last few days. Haven’t seen any post. Hope you are OK

Be Safe bye

lucyp061351
Silver Conversationalist

Guess I should have listened to my own advice and got that bird that was in the bush. The Amazon Card was gone before the end of the day. Geez Louise
Better luck next time
lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@mi4090 @andrewtoo 

What did I tell you ? The Rewards Catalog Maintenance ruse was just another opportunity for them to throw up another significant roadblock to prevent its members from benefiting and enjoying this program. Now they have removed the Daily Instant Win with no attempt at giving us any explanation whatsoever. They got away with it, with the Weekly Instant Win, now this. They don't listen to any of our suggestions or concerns. Sad to say but there is really not much we can do about it. I sincerely believe the Rewards Program is on its way out. So Sad 😞 😞

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
Trusted Contributor

I agree that the Rewards program leaves a lot to be desired.  I was getting Panera cards but they haven't been around lately.  I've picked up Amazon and CVS cards but other than these, I don't want anything else that they are offering.  Some days I collect points but some days I just don't bother.  Why when there is nothing to use them on.  I find the $5 rewards a joke - what does $5 get you these days?

It could have been a good program but it is falling very short and hardly worth it anymore - sad but true. 

Social Butterfly

@rednexsrus 

I thought the Daily Instant Win had possibly been cancelled, like the Weekly Instant Win had withdrawn, without explanation, as you said.  I remember when Marylin, @mi4090,  won the Weekly twice, so I knew she was sorry to see it go.

But, today the added a Bed Bath and Beyond card that I was able to enter from the official rules, without using points.  I'm glad to see it working again.

Have a great weekend!

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@andrewtoo 

Hi Andrew. did you try for the $2500 Bed Bath & Beyond Daily Instant Win gift card ????

They are just throwing this stuff up without any proofreading or testing

Just SayingClipboard02.jpg

lucyp061351
Social Butterfly

@rednexsrus 

That is hilarious!  Thanks for sharing the pic.  I do have to give AARP Rewards a break because they may be working from home and I know how difficult it can be to sign-in and work from a remote location.

Andrew

@rednexsrus wrote:

@andrewtoo 

Hi Andrew. did you try for the $2500 Bed Bath & Beyond Daily Instant Win gift card ????

They are just throwing this stuff up without any proofreading or testing

Just SayingClipboard02.jpg

AndrewToo
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors

Is anyone interested in seeing "points only" gift cards valued for more than $5 on daily deals?  

What happened to the $10 gas cards? Can we get some $10+ Amazon cards for points only?  What about the Google Home Mini?

What would you like to see in the catalog?  Let's help with them with suggestions from their valued customers😊

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Social Butterfly

@mi4090 

I hope to be supportive of the program (mostly) when I post, even if I am sharing something that I see as a glitch or a problem.  There is always room for improvement.  My idea of improvement may be different than other members and that's cool.  However, that said, I agree with you Marylin, it would be an improvement to offer a larger dollar amount on the largest national retailers.  A $10 minimum would be a wonderful start.  I can't remember the last time I saw a $10 or more Walmart Points Only offering.  Amazon is another example that would be improved with a minimum of a $10 card for points.

Kroger, and Kroger owned stores make up the largest grocery chain and I've seen nothing for them, while we are deluged with Safeway and Associates offerings.  From a quick search, Kroger owns the following grocery stores: "Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Harris Teeter, Pick 'n Save, Copps, Metro Market, Mariano's..."  Adding Kroger gift cards would be nice.

A return of the $10 Shell card would be sweet.  I commented on that offering how much I liked it within the first month that AARP Reward began last year.

Oh, the Extra Credit program was a total dud, again, this month!

Thanks

AndrewToo
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Whoa! Scary for sure. What has it been 2-3 days now that they are “clearing up a few things” looks like it has become a whole lot of things. After all they aren’t the sharpest tool in the shed. If BETA cain’t be fixed and Transaction History what chance do we have that we will see an improvement in the points only rewards cards ? I am afraid when the catalog goes back on line we will continue to see $5 deals for $4 and more UNO, and Safeway Cards. Why don’t they offer higher value cards more often ?

Does anyone know how AARP REWARDS obtains these retailers gift cards ?

Do they recruit retailers and get them donated or are they purchased. Very strange we don’t see Shell, Marathon, Walmart, Kroger, and other major retailers any more. 

They give us the opportunity to earn and accumulate reward points and them throw up all kinds of roadblocks to prevent us from redeeming them. So 😞 😞 

just saying

lucyp061351
Silver Conversationalist

Today (6/10/2020) the Instant Daily Win link is not working.  I hope the "points only" cards aren't gone forever and it's just a glitch on my end.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @JoLo49 

What do you want to see offered,  any good suggestions😊?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Community Warriors

I think everyone should have an opportunity to use their points for the "Points Only" deals , not just the members in the eastern part of country (i.e. UNO & Tim Horton's)😠😢😡😠

AARP Rewards stop the favoritism!!!  Use only national deals that everyone can benefit from.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

4 new e-giftcards (amazon, barnes and noble, zappos, and rei) are available today. It makes you wonder if more are to come this month. Get it now or wait since everyone can only redeem 3 times per month...

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I think the problem is the 3 times per month redeem limit..... WHY ?

Maybe it will be fair 2 or 3 DAILY limit not monthly !!!!!!!!!!!!

By now all the " Points Hunters " like me have accumulated probably 500 K + Points , so why not give us " Points Warriors " more opportunities to use them.....

I personally already used my 3 redeem limit for december , i entered almost every sweepstakes , i try the daily wins plus i donate to the foundation the maximum allowed and i still have more than 600K points.

Happy Holidays to everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @valeriov52121 

I'd be OK with (3) monthly limit if the Points Only Cards are valued at $25+ and, are cards everyone can use; but the $5 cards shouldn't have a limit.  You can't get much today for $5.

Congrats on donating the max to the Foundation.

Happy Holidays,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@valeriov52121 wrote:

I think the problem is the 3 times per month redeem limit..... WHY ?

Maybe it will be fair 2 or 3 DAILY limit not monthly !!!!!!!!!!!!

By now all the " Points Hunters " like me have accumulated probably 500 K + Points , so why not give us " Points Warriors " more opportunities to use them.....

I personally already used my 3 redeem limit for december , i entered almost every sweepstakes , i try the daily wins plus i donate to the foundation the maximum allowed and i still have more than 600K points.

Happy Holidays to everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets remember AARP isn't a grab bag website or a giveaway site. They are a non-profit ogranization. If we allowed people to redeem 2-3 daily, people would be making serious money. I  think the 3 redemptions per month is fair, it gives everyone a chance to get something.

I would love to redeem 5-6 $25 gift cards monthly... trust me.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP