Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Extra Credit Deals Insulting Waste of Time

Gold Conversationalist

Extra Credit Deals Insulting Waste of Time

I try to be positive but this is too much.  Sat up until midnight EST to do the extra credit deals.  They are all for $5!!!   With a limit of three, that means spending hours earning points for $15 value over the course of a month.  A $5 Amazon card now costs more than the $10 one was in January.   

This is what happens when so many members have been recruited to the program and no funding to support them apparently.    I am really embarrassed I've recommended this program to friends.  I did get value from it at the beginning.   This is ridiculous.

Social Butterfly

@Jason2020LovesKelly 

Thanks; you posted an opinion that I started to share but stopped, thinking there will always be someone that is fooled by slight of hand, i.e. purchased gift cards for a marginally larger discount and add in scoring an instant wins(?)...and totally missing the issue about the lower dollar value and lower quality of the Extra Credit Rewards gift cards for points.  "Toxic positivity" comes to mind.

Take care,

AndrewToo
Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 🤗 Well I see AARP is at it again with the $5 gift cards.  I want to know what is the since of completing the Extra Credit for a measley $5 gift card. The incentive for completing the Extra Credit is WHAT? What's with all these $5 cards. Trading points for $5 gift cards is ( as another member said) Insulting. People will start forfeiting their points or make us use up our points on Sweepstakes and Instant Win Games , which I HATE. If they were to select 1,000 winners a day, I feel like I still wouldn't win. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
Periodic Contributor

I loved when we had $25 gift cards available to us for Pottery Barn!  I saved them up and bought a coffee table for less out of pocket cost. I try to choose gift cards that I can use for gifts.  I try to accumulate the same gift card every month. I try winning gift cards and have won many times. It’s just playing every single day and knowing that you will eventually win. I am just thankful for AARP rewards because it keeps me busy. Don’t give up and remain positive!

Conversationalist

Also, super interesting with your recent input and concern...

Public Statistics
Date Registered‎12-09-2012 05:48 PM
Last Visited 
Total Messages Posted1

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] (☉౪ ⊙)
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@al45009948   Interesting that my post from February could have easily been done in October.  Difference is that I don't bother to stay up until midnight EST to be disappointed.   I do the mini crossword and weekly news quizzes because I like them and rarely do anything else.   If the objective is to give people info through the Extra Credit activities, they've missed the boat.  No incentive to knock yourself out in the middle of the night to get what amounts to a discount coupon that will hold the line up at checkout.  (Amazon excepted as that is easily redeemed if one is lucky enough to ever get one.)

Like Coke Rewards, Hello World=Goodbye Rewards Program.

Bronze Conversationalist

Hello everyone 🤗. I understand what you're saying about the Extra Credit, but some of the videos and quizzes are from the month before. I used to really enjoy the information that I learned from watching the videos and doing the quizzes. Getting Rewarded for completing this was a great incentive to max out your points for the day. I see someone is cashing in on the $5 gift cards. It seems that last year around this time of year the Rewards fell down. I'm just saying

Concerned Member
Social Butterfly

@MemberS2006 

I don't complain unless I feel strongly about something regarding AARP Rewards.

Companies are having a hard time, huh?

What we really need to remember is that SENIORS are having a hard time!

AARP Rewards needs to know that we are unhappy with the program recently and this month in particular!

Sincerely,

AndrewToo
Conversationalist

Yes indeed almost everyone is having a hard time and especially a lot of seniors.However I would much rather see money go toward helping those in need than for me to receive a gift card.If we are on here able to participate in the rewards program we are better off than a lot of people that need the funding much worse than I need a gift card..My neighbor can't even afford internet anymore and wouldn't be able to get online except for the times she can use my Wi-Fi and tablet.One reason I love the streaming services gift cards on here.Can give those to people that had to drop cable.A lot don't have enough to eat or enough medication so the rewards program here isn't a huge priority to me as much as it is to others maybe.We can be unhappy to the moon and back but if there isn't funding for something then it eventually disappears.Down to $5 rewards now so that day may be coming soon.

However I do understand your point of view..

Gold Conversationalist

@MemberS2006   Unless I've missed it, I don't see the donation choice this month.  Hopefully it will be up so we can continue to donate to the AARP Foundation.  The two things are totally separate issues.  The rewards program is probably largely funded by what people buy and ad revenue, not money that could/would be given to poor seniors.   Apples and oranges and no, we are not being selfish to complain.   Time has value.  Either something is worthwhile or it is not due to poor management.   Doing away with gift cards will not help poor seniors.

Conversationalist

Under points only there is a 4000 point donation.I gave earlier and its still showing now...Sponsors have likely cut back a lot causing the gift card program to decline hopefully directing the funds to causes to help those more in need and yes if I ever feel like its not worth my time I will just stop participating.But so far I still enjoy the program.

Gold Conversationalist

Thanks.  I just did my donation while the donating was still available.  I didn't see it the other times I'd checked since midnight.

About the clicks:  It would be the vendor (Hello World) who benefits by the ad clicks in the rewards program, I'd think.   That makes me wonder if the Games are run by an outside vendor as well.   We who have been around a while can compare the previous vendor to this one.  Hello World isn't stacking up so well.  Thanks again for the donation information.

Periodic Contributor

Yep I am out. The Winning of a sweepstake went down to five winners also

Social Butterfly

@willowmoon03 

Hi willowmoon

I only saw 1 that went to 5 winners...others are offering 20 /40/10 winners 

Stay safe 

Ginger  ;  )

Conversationalist

I think we have to remember that most companies are really struggling just to survive and doing very few promotions compared to the past.An example is the Super Bowl ads this year.They just can not afford to promote like the past.Yes I would love to see bigger value gift cards,etc but I certainly understand the situation with the economy so like all other places AARP will have to tread through until things improve.I hope these companies can hang on until better times come.So I don't blame them for not spending money they can't afford..I didn't redeem for anything yet and may not but I am okay with that.I do enter the sweepstakes and with all sweepstakes the odds are long shot but I enjoy the site so would still earn points and enter even if the gift cards had to be paused.Maybe the lower value cards just reflect the economic conditions and lower value would equal more cards possibly.Point value is quiet high but we lose them at some point if we don't use them anyway.It is all a free add on they aren't in any way required to give us so I remain upbeat and still see it as a blessing to many.Just the information on the site has a lot of value to me.We have to look for the positive in all things now.

Conversationalist

I always saw the gift cards as advertising/donations by the companies participating. This is extremely inexpensive advertising for them considering their huge nation wide audience participation in the Rewards program. 

I realize some companies are hurting right now but most others are not. Kroger, Amazon, Walmart, Target, even Michaels seem to be doing quite well. These are all nation-wide companies. The ones who are hurting are the mom and pop shops/restaurants who would not participate in this program even in a whiz bang year. I do hope people are right and the companies who are doing quite well are contributing to causes which benefit those in need rather than give to the Rewards program.

I have not donated points to the AARP foundation yet. I don't know why but I am skeptical of a program who offers the opportunity to earn something then wants you to give it back as a donation. This is just me and I will have to think this one out. Having said that, my family has donated funds to local food banks a couple of times last year as it breaks our hearts to see Americans having to stand in line for food. How does this even happen in America?! The pandemic has truly shed a light on those in our country who through no fault of their own are not blessed with the basic needs to live. I see volunteering in my future!

Social Butterfly

@BeachGirl23 

Hey Beach girl 

Thanks for sharing...its definitely been a rough & tough year for America and as in past we shall overcome and hopefully grow from all these tough experiences personally & as a country. 

Best I figure way things are with points donations to AARP Foundation...AARP has a set amount they give to Foundation each month therefore they offer members chance to participate in giving what they already plan to give while providing its members the feel good feeling of giving back. I still get thank you email each time I donate points but in old Rewards we used to be able claim on taxes no longer do that 

I've donated personal funds regularly to Foundation for years... they have a great standing in Charity Navigator and do lots of things for seniors which you can go to site and read and discover all they do. I've witnessed some of it in my years delivering meals to homebound seniors & with providing seniors with Echoes/ Smart home devices and their connection setup for Seniors in Isolation... lots great things

Our food banks in NC have had a major increase in needs... myself personally am grateful to donate to these causes now while I'm able that I feel I myself may need in future as circumstances change. 

Anyway just wanted share that I feel AARP Foundation is a very worthy cause and well deserving of our 4000($5)/8000($10) points donations 

Enjoy your day stay safe 

Ginger :  )

Conversationalist

Thank you, Ginger, for explaining the AARP Foundation to me. I am more inclined to donate points to it if 4000 points is a $5 donation. 

I am actually looking forward to volunteering at food banks once the pandemic is more under control. Due to health conditions of family members, we try to limit our exposure right now to - well anybody actually. Sad but true.

Thanks again.

Social Butterfly

@BeachGirl23 

Hey that's awesome glad could be of help I believe it states its worth $5... just noticed it has sold out hope you were able to donate 😉

Sadly, I too have been deeply isolated live alone and I'm high risk So I only go out & inside grocery store when must... I'm big user of takeout these days...its been long while since inside a restaurant or just out shopping try do most online...see my kids & 3 grandkids on rare occasions.....

Wanna share so forgive off topic: I'm very grateful for reading a AARP story about ideas to stay connected with grandchildren One idea was being a pen pal. So for a Christmas gift for my 2 girls ages 10 & 8 I put together in large zipper & envelope folders all kinds of pens, paper, writing tablets & stationary set plus pink envelopes few with my address sticker and stamps on plus extra stamps hoping to encourage them to write me and others... been nice so far I've gotten few letters and done few to them in 1 I put Wendy's adoption free Frosty key tags good for year...I got them hooked on frosties long ago... anyway was great idea I could expand on using lots of stuff had on hand. I love writing and receiving letters. Thanks for letting me share that

It will indeed be blessing when we can return to our activities... sure miss times at Senior Center and being with folks & miss seeing smiles 

Hopefully & prayerful soon things are better 

I hope to remember just how precious so many things took for granted are once have them back. 

Stay safe have a beautiful weekend! 

Ginger  ;  )

Gold Conversationalist

@BeachGirl23 

You are right about the gift cards.  I doubt that many of them are purchased.  As I've posted before, some of them could be purchased at the warehouse clubs for 20% discount.  The discount here is not that good.   They are being sold for profit.  And others I'd bet on being donated.  When Ulta first opened here, they put $10 gift cards in the local newspaper many times.  (I went in and couldn't find anything to redeem it on, but that's just me.)  The $5 and $10 ones have to be donations by the companies in exchange for advertising.    Or the company gives a set amount and allows Hello World to divide it as they wish.   Definitely split too thin this month.

Social Butterfly

@MemberS2006 

Well said 

I too also try see it as a blessing and extra quirk

I don't have million points only do activities desire to do none of repeat same things everyday and month as did in old rewards program.... have never felt need in new program to invest time takes to earn that many that way(boring) ... just try enjoy & also like reading info and games.... lots offered for our membership. I'm grateful to earn and spend my 4000/8000 points monthly for donation to AARP Foundation & trying to get what may luck up with. 

Its been months since redeemed for any points only that I saw since have cherish amount of points So when I saw extra credits all $5 for double points was a shock & OUCH so I did some of activities but not interested in giving up that many points for $5 rather as others stated wait and see what the month offers

You may be correct in the possibility of them trimming back or halving to have more to offer since many complaints not enough... time will tell

I was shocked myself when saw Coca-cola wouldn't have ads during Superbowl also No Budweiser Clydesdales (will miss them look forward to each year) that is big statement to how much Pandemic affecting everything and everyone 😞 

Thanks! for your positive spin and thoughts 😉

Enjoy your day everyone

Stay safe 

Ginger  :  )

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@MemberS2006   It is true that promotions have been curtailed.  However, AARP has continued to recruit new members to the program, overwhelming its resources, apparently.  This is not good management.     Some of this recruitment went so far as to say someone had saved enough for a mortgage payment.  Those of us who had been with the program knew that was an exaggeration.   However, such claims may have led to a large number of new participants.  (My theory, anyway).  This has led to the one of a kind limit and consistent devaluing of the prizes.  That mortgage payment claim did use the month that had the highest rewards I'd ever seen.  ($50 golf and pet cards)  

If the budget is stretched so thin that only $5 cards could be offered, it would have been much better to discontinue "Extra Credit" and put that amount of money into daily offers.

Conversationalist

I assume [ don't really know ] that people coming to the site and clicking videos,etc and reading articles add revenue just like videos we watch on youtube ,facebook,etc does.So more people on the site help add more funding to keep AARP up and running..I hope that is the case.Right now its not about freebies,its about surviving this down turn.Once the economy gets better we will likely see better offers here..AARP has been quiet generous in the past and still is in many ways.I am more concerned that they will have to shut the rewards program down completely at some point.So many places that offered rewards in the past have stopped their programs.They need site traffic to keep things going.

Social Butterfly

That is true about other rewards....Coca-cola Rewards(member since began) which is managed by same company Hello World/ Merkel.... hasn't had any offers to win anything since last spring.... only donation offers with code entries when they used to offer many Sweeps & Rewards each month... so indeed may be in part what's happening with AARP?¿? 

Life has definitely been a struggle for many in these unreal to me times

It's definitely a thought to consider and ponder upon🤔

Ginger ;  )

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271    I can't help myself on this.

Hello World=Goodbye Rewards Programs

Gold Conversationalist

Coke Rewards devalued before the pandemic.  I used to get nice coupons and advertising items like my Coke cookie jar.  Then they went to all "experiences".  I haven't looked lately but without experiences going on, there would literally be nothing left in that program.  I have some expired movie gift certificates as souvenirs, lol.   

Conversationalist

The Coke Rewards program is basically all donations and has been for almost a year now. Last I checked last week, there was one opportunity to win something but it required the app on your phone and scanning something or other to enter. It clearly is skewed toward a much younger generation. This old lady is strictly a laptop person who has TONS of reward points.  I guess the heyday of trying to win freebees are gone.☹️ 

Gold Conversationalist

@BeachGirl23   This old lady is here on her laptop as well.  I downloaded a scanner but it didn't work for me on my phone.   The Coke program definitely dropped its older customers to appeal to younger ones.   I'd thinking the older ones are the more faithful customers.  That is what Macy's did....dropped Alfred Dunner we older ladies like for teeny bopper brands.  News for them...the ones carrying the bags of purchased merchandise are older shoppers.  I wrote the CEO on that and some underling wrote a condescending letter back.   I shop elsewhere now.  If I wasn't addicted to Diet Coke, I might look elsewhere on that, lol.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Indeed Hokie

Pandemic shut down many experiences they used offer

I won several free AMC movie tickets & sodas & popcorn Fall 2019/ early 2020 with scanning sip and scan 

A couple times they've  updated the expiration date now expires June 2021 may reset again then? Felt I'd pass on to DIL to use since most likely be while b4 I wanna go to movies if & when they reopen

I used to get lots great things early on when we could enter codes to amt needed... which you've shared did same

But it too also affected with big changes like AARP  Rewards when Hello world took over 😞

Take care

Ginger  ;  )

Periodic Contributor

Terrible! What a waste of my time now if it’s going to be $5. $15 was ok, but this is a slap in the face! 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP