Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are "Points Only" Gift Cards Gone Forever?

Trusted Social Butterfly

Are "Points Only" Gift Cards Gone Forever?

Hello Community,

I'm sure I heard that this program would be better, but I haven't seen but (2) Points Only deals in the All Rewards section of Redeem.  It's for the Modern Way to Stay Healthy Medicine Container for 65,000 points and 15,000 pt. Water BottleSmiley Sad  

Am I looking in the wrong place for the Points Only Cards?  Please someone let me know.

@AARPTeri are there any cards, if so where are they?  Will there be any?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Have a Blessed Day,

@mi4090 

Super Contributor

Hi Marylin:

HelloWorld being the administrator, has virtually reduced the "points only" rewards cards to nothing more than a discount coupon or cents off program, nothing more 

So Sad

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

R4G hands down 

Just Saying

lucyp061351
Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090   Well said.  No comparison in the two programs.  Although RFG was not perfect, it was a good use of time learning and being rewarded.  Now the rewards are pitiful.   There is a lot of good content in the new program but little incentive to spend the time involved.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, it's getting worse. I'm rather new here, going on three years, and I have to tell you, in the beginning I was having fun watching videos and doing quizzes just to earn points. From there I could make a goal of spending my hard-earned points for 3 redeems on one thing. Now, I have to keep checking the site to see if new redeems are available, only to be majorly disappointed. I don't know what AARP is/was thinking with this new way. 'Now that we have their money, what can they do?' (quoting Jim Gaffigan- sort of), and it's becoming obvious they cater more toward the non-member, which confuses me to no end. Thanks for speaking-out! 🙂

Silver Conversationalist

For most of us it was, just about having fun, 😀 enjoying the quizzes and video's. The rewards were secondary but exhilarating. In the beginning the new rewards program showed much promise but failed to deliver. So Sad ! 😪  😪

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors

Where are the "Points Only" gift cards?

Absolutely worthless Rewards program😢  

Why spend hours daily to earn points and nothing to redeem?  

HELP NEEDED TO FIX REWARDS PROGRAM!!!

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Trusted Social Butterfly

Bumping to top for responses and management.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, and it's all crickets in AARP land.

Guess I'll be tagging, @AARPJanelleM and @AARPTeri for some input! 

Honored Social Butterfly

BUMP! I, too, am rather furious about not being able to do but one (1) points only gift card redeem this month. There are only two (2) days remaining in July, so for any sudden appearance of points only gift card redeems to come along would be abrupt, coincidental, and profoundly weird. Any input, really, would be appreciated. You know, like the instant wins, something from the AARP reps about the upping of points only gift card redeems in the month of August and going forward? It's bad enough we can only redeem one, now, but they are so few and far between, it's sort of a nightmare. I will not support this program if they expect me to only be able use my points on instant wins and sweepstakes. No way. These are not a sure thing and they know it. I feel like I give so much back to AARP when I watch their videos, and do their quizzes, etc... yet, they are giving me nothing back! So, maybe @AARPJanelleM and/or @AARPTeri  will also work together, like they did with the communication of instant wins, and provide communication about why there are barely any gift card redeems for points this month. I am only stating this because I have eyes and I can see the ploy right in front of me. I really do not like feeling this way. 😒

Conversationalist

Kudos to KellyS503189 for your post above!

I too have only been able to redeem one of my points-only gift cards during the month of July 2021. The scarcity of points-only GC's that I can actually use -- and that amount to more than a measly $5 value -- is astonishing. 

AARP can and must do better for their their supporting members. As I've suggested in several previous posts here on this forum, a positive step would be to restrict the availability of ALL points-only GC's for MEMBERS ONLY. This simple change would have the added bonus of boosting AARP's paid membership roster. Win-win.

Community Concierge

@KellytheBelly @garyfish49 We appreciate hearing from you. Our points only items are very popular and sell out quickly. We encourage our users to check back on the first of the month and periodically throughout the month for new point only rewards. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we always take user feedback into consideration when making updates to the program.

Conversationalist

My thanks go to AARPJanelleM for acknowledging that my comments have been taken into account by Admin. This is the first public notification that AARP Admin has made concerning my repeated input on this forum, mainly relating to my suggested improvements to the Points-Only Gift Card offerings. I look forward to participating in a "new and improved" Rewards program going forward.

Love and fishes,

Gary  <:)))))))><

Community Concierge

@garyfish49 You are most welcome, Gary! We value all input provided by our participants 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPJanelleM  Yes, we know! lol Also, if you look at the redeems page, now, it's nothing but a nice display of, 'Sold Outs.' But, I did make my monthly 4,000 points contribution to the AARP Foundation. 😊

display of sold outs.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you @garyfish49! And, as expected, nothing from @AARPJanelleM or @AARPTeri . Hey! Thanks for ignoring us! It's the last day of July and still no points only gift cards. Gee whiz, if I ever acted this way at my job, I'd be out of a job! 

Trusted Contributor

7/31/21 at 8:30 pm a Chili $5 GC.  Don’t know what time it came up.  Hope you are still online.

Honored Social Butterfly

@11320cs I did redeem it. 'Thank you,' for looking out for your fellow AARP members! 😉 Have a great Sunday. 

Silver Conversationalist

It's a sad day, the rewards catalog has never looked this bad

Something needs to change or someone needs to replace this administrator of our rewards program. 

Just Saying  

lucyp061351
Trusted Contributor

We haven’t had any new “points only” rewards for several days now.  Is this the new standard or is it because AARP is having technical difficulties?

Community Concierge

@11320cs Our point only items sell out quickly. Be sure to check back on the first of the month for new extra credit rewards. Additional point only rewards will pop up later in the month as well

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@11320cs 

More like administrator difficulties.

At this rate there will be a lot of members losing their points under the new points expiring rule. 

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
Contributor

The rewards programme SUCKS!  Come on, AARP, you can do much better than that!  With all of your connections, you give away crap like from a carnival?!  I find it appalling and insulting.  

It takes me about 2 or 3 hours to earn the maximum amount of daily points (7500).  Instead of offering a handy gift card or something practical that one could use, I can spend rewards points on sweepstakes that I likely will not win?!  

At first, I redeemed the rewards points on magazine subscriptions, which are more valuable than the sweepstakes.  But there is a limit on magazines, alas, so I could not redeem for more.  

The food gift cards should be redeemable with only rewards points.  There are many elderly folk who struggle to make ends meet, living on fixed incomes.  Though there are food banks, food stamps / welfare, etc., the food gift cards would be a good way to supplement or ensure that the elderly are eating well.  

TASTenn
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors,

Only (1) redemption per month if you do by chance have points to redeem😢.

Program was much better before the change to Rewards. 

To answer my own question, YES!!  We have reached a Rewards pandemic.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Silver Conversationalist

@mi4090  Are you sure redemption rules changed to 1 per month??  When will this change become in effect??   I was able to redeem more than 1 redemption this month!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@JoLo49 & @HokiePoq It's (3) total per month, but only (1) per item/gift card.  Previously we could use points to redeem (3) of same item/gift card.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Silver Conversationalist

Thanks for the clarification.  I don't mind the 1 item/gift card so that more people are able to have the opportunity to redeem for the more popular gift cards, however,  I wish the gift cards had more monetary value than $5.  Hopeful that AARP will offer gift cards with higher monetary value than the $5 currently offered in the near future.

Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090  Thanks for the clarification.   A $5 gift card is more like a coupon to get you to enter the store or website than a real reward.  If you could get more than one, you might get a Dominos Pizza, for example   I got Krispy Kreme last month and then it came back again, but said I'd already done it.  Not that offer I hadn't!  Someone else posted the same problem with KK.  

I used to be able to get enough value to get a free meal occasionally.  Now virtually nothing.  Good offers for those who stream but not much for anyone else.  Oh, wait!  I could get coloring sheets.  Whoopee.   I know some do that but good grief, not a reward in my book, just like the greeting cards that are available for free elsewhere.

Conversationalist

I don't think the coloring sheets nor the e-greeting cards count toward the 3 redemptions..Those are free many places so I think those are just here as an add on..and yes $5 cards don't get you much.One cup of coffee at Starbucks,etc.I guess things are slow getting back to 'normal' and that makes rewards hard to come by.I would rather see more $10 and up even if it means fewer cards.At least you can get a sandwich at Subway with that.

Social Butterfly

Hi

The coloring pages don't count toward redemptions I asked Teri about that (another thread) when they 1st appeared since there was no info listed on them... same as greeting cards

Magazines do count though

I've not redeemed any of those 3 but Senior Center used to have a Coloring class so think many folks may enjoy opportunity to redeem them. 

@MemberS2006 

You are correct about things not being normal Coca-cola Rewards  & others used to offer lots of things many have had nothing for their Rewards members since Pandemic so my thoughts are same as always felt Getting anything is a plus to membership since I'm a member of AARP with or without Rewards not because of rewards

Also no idea how others members are interacting with program but I haven't spent time earning daily points limit since b4 announcement of expiring points I just do what enjoy or interest me..... no longer boring myself with repeats everyday for points like used to do.... if same for others feel certain site traffic has diminished which may affect offers?? 🤔??

@HokiePoq 

Hokie I had that issue with Krispy Kreme also another posted about not resetting on 1st of month... had that same experience also if offer carried over.... don't think should be that way but is  😞 

Enjoy your weekend 

Ginger  ;  )

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @gm5271 ,

I agree, the Rewards program is a plus to our membership and any rewards offered is a perk.  I don't spend time to earn the maximum number of daily points as most of the activities offered are repeated, however, I enjoy the exercise videos.  Wish the rewards program was a members only program instead of opened for anyone to join.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP