Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

What's For Dinner?

I can't be the only one.  What's For Dinner? Sometimes that phrase hits me with dread. UUgghh! Just too  easy to get into a rut. Can't be the only one who struggles with creating simple, healthful meals some days.  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and experiment, But need a few more go to meals. 

Remarried one year ago.  He's awesome!  He's also a vegetarian.  I'm heading more to a plant-base eating plan too.  Could use a few more suggestions.  Smoothies are great, and breakfast is usually oatmeal with nuts, seeds and berries.  Would like to fill in a few more lunches and/or dinners with something new.

Thank you in advance for any input.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I eat what I want, when I want.  Or sometimes...nothing at all.

If I am invigorated, I will cook a full meal.  Other times, I just munch on what is on hand.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@RosemaryF433825  That's a nice way to be able to live life.  Some how I feel our body knows what it needs, and when it needs it.  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes   Since I'm "by myself," I can live a very unstructured lifestyle...with the exception of when my studio/gallery is open of course.  I've lived like this for twelve years now, and am such a free and spontaneous spirit.  It's great to be unencumbered!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We moved into our Retirement Center at the end of last July! We now get most of our dinners from the main dining room here. 

I have always felt that I am the type of person as is my wife that lives to eat not just eats to live! We have found several items that we really enjoy and some that give us some variety.

We also fix some of own favorite dinners that are not on the menu. 

One of our favorites is served tonight and has been a favorite most of our lives. Better known here as a " Friday Night Fish Fry "!

2021-04-24.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I like to cook. I totally hate deciding what's for dinner.  I solved the breakfast problem ages ago because my husband wakes up about when we're having lunch, so I eat breakfast alone and have the same thing every day because if I allow myself to think about it - I'd be cooking massive breakfasts every day. 

But for dinner - years ago a friend suggested I try Blue Apron, back when they were the only game in town. I did and I adore it. My husband and I pick out our meals (yes they have vegetarian meals and they are GOOOOD) about once a month, together. And then I forget about it.

So three times a week all I have to do is decide which menu to follow. I generally go by how long they say it takes and how many prep bowls I see in the pictures. If I'm quitting work early I do the more complicated meals, if I'm working until right before dinner, I do the 20 minute meals. they also now have a thing where you prep 4 meals at once, pack them away and just reheat them. I may try that. 

I have adored it not only for partially solving what to make for dinner, but I no longer have bunches of parsley turning to green soup because I needed a few springs for some recipe (they just send you what you need for two people); I have learned about so many new ingredients and cooking techniques. I am truly a better cook for the experience. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ninaTx  That sounds like a fun option.  Maybe  Jim and I could try a few of their meals.  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I have the same question, even without the challenges of cooking for someone else or trying to find complete vegetarian proteins. Sometimes, @Rhymesometimes , what's for dinner is what you describe for breakfast!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@DeahWA Good point.  Breakfast for dinner is like comfort food to me.  The vegetarian quandary is made every more difficult for me, because I don't eat/soy products.  Hubby does. My shopping cart is funny.  Soy milk and soy-free eggs in the same cart! Beans and rice; quinoa ( a complete protein ) are regulars in our house. Would like simple, tasty, healthful vegetarian meals.  Heading out to the grocery store today.  Probably sleeveless again. Fly bat wings, be free.😜  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

I love quinoa, especially with walnuts and craisins. And I do omelets for dinner a lot. In fact, gotta use up the last of the eggs and green onions today. Hope I have Swiss cheese in the fridge. Fingers crossed.

Social Butterfly

Favorite omelet is mushrooms, onions and swiss cheese, which is how I like my occasional burger.  Heavenly!  Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

Omelets for dinner works for me! Nothing like a good hash and veggie omelet any time of day. A good chicken stir-fry works too. When there's no steak and potatoes I'll take chicken dishes any day. I also love leftovers-for obvious reasons.

Social Butterfly

@postman29  Now if we could only find a way to have leftovers every day! Big fan of the stir fry, easy way to get lots of veggie servings.  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP