Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The holidays will look a bit different this year

Community Manager
Community Manager

The holidays will look a bit different this year

Millions of people spend their holidays alone, even when there isn’t a pandemic raging outside. This year, though, many will experience the holidays by themselves for the first time.

If you’re feeling lonely or cut off, you could be at risk of social isolation. You can find out by asking Alexa or Google voice assistant to “Launch Social Check-In.”

Social Check-In is a free assessment you can take in 5 minutes using just your voice. Setup is easy; just follow the instructions for your device. Then tell it to, “Launch Social Check-In,” answer a few questions, and get a text message with your results telling you whether you (or a loved one) may be at risk for social isolation. The text also shares resources to help you live a more connected life, even in a pandemic.

To get started, say “Alexa, Launch Social Check-In,” or “Hey Google, Launch Social Check-In.”

Try Social Check-In and share feedback about your experience here.

Honored Social Butterfly

Having my wife Mary here so we can support each other and we have short contact with others on our floor or at the mail room here at the retirement center. We have always had Holiday music on during the Holidays. Our cable service has around 30+ music channels we can listen to on the TV.

The Retirement center has it's own Channel which has exercise programs, church services, movies that are popular with Seniors, and many other programs.

Mary and I have a lot of similar interests like sporting events on tv, series to watch like "The Crown" or sappy movies like the ones on the Hallmark Channel. 

Last but not least is keeping in contact with friends on the Front Porch or on Facebook. 

15220227_10154846897206929_4119313077685865377_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

I did the Social Check-in and my isolation risk assessment is Low.  I raised a warning at weekly participation in social activities or organized groups.

I live alone, but like @RosemaryF433825 suggested, there are plenty of ways to take advantage of holidays and other occasions all by yourself.  After all, you can do whatever you want and not be afraid of embarrassing yourself or offending someone else.  In other words, you don't have to be on your best behavior. 😋 

And with the internet (Zoom, Facetime, Skype), there are plenty of ways to stay 'connected' until you purposely want to disconnect. 

I realize I am fortunate that I am healthy and mobile, so reaching out to someone less so, even a stranger, also does a heart good.

Being alone does not have to be the same thing as being lonely.

Bronze Conversationalist

That's an interesting concept, Rachel...the Social Check-In.

One thing I might suggest to people who will spend their holidays alone (having been there many years myself)?  Celebrate yourself!  Celebrate life in general!

Put up some Christmas decorations. Sing Christmas carols at the top of your lungs in the shower. Fix yourself a special meal.  Buy a nice bottle of wine.  Rent some funny Christmas movies.  Light some scented Christmas candles.  Get all nice and cozy.

(And yes, if you must, buy yourself a "Merry Christmas to me" gift.)

Christmas by yourself doesn't have to mean Christmas loneliness.   🎄🎄🍷

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love your suggestions @RosemaryF433825! I am a big fan of putting on holiday tunes and dancing and singing loudly 🤶

Here's an article for folks on 5 ways to prepare for your first holidays alone. Lots of really great tips in there too!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP