From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019

Message 41 of 194

Good morning to everyone on this cloudy and rainy day on my Front Porch! Yesterday was a nice day on the golf course but I must have left my game in the back of my car as I was just not hitting ball well on several shots.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend! There seems to be a touch of Fall in the air today so I hope we get several more weeks of Summer. 

depositphotos_75034781-stock-illustration-cartoon-enjoy-day-card.jpgFB_IMG_1557926804716.jpg18238460_817560601745262_1136996610374869156_o.png.jpgFB_IMG_1549040217119.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 194

Good Morning, Front Porch Peepers!

Hope all is well with everyone here.  I had surgery last week to remove what thankfully turned out to be a non-canerous growth from my back.  The surgery itself went well, but the mass was very deep and once removed, required three layers of stitches (inside to out).  A very good friend came out and stayed with me to do my wound care and dressing changes every day.  Couldn't have done it without her!  So I am well on the mend now and just wanted to peek my face onto to The Front Porch and wish everyone a good day and a blessed weekend!

P.S. -- Is anybody else getting the feeling that Fall is right around the corner.  Well, I'm getting the hint as some of the trees in my neck of the woods are already turning colors--from green to orange.  Just a few leaves, but enough to make me think Fall is a-comin'.

Lydia

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 194

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch this morning! Have a great day today. I have been out of town for a couple of days. 

69262821_2350254215089116_1341646310373064704_n (1).jpgFB_IMG_1557926978025.jpg68571121_1299191246908291_2273309718573219840_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 194

@Frozenoem   Good info, I did not know about the algae.  A search shows algae in the lake closest to me but we never go there.   @catwoman500  You are frisky and I need a dose of that.  The 2 things I do not have enough of are time and energy.  Even if I did have more time I would not have energy  so I guess I have to rethink this.

We have suffered through the hottest days of the summer, 95 and 96 humid degrees yesterday and the day before.  The mornings and evenings are particularly bad, that is when I am outside and the air feels so still & stale. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 194

Hi, Porch Peeps,

The rain has stopped for now. It’s very humid, but the temps are low-ish…73 right now. Fence replacement was scheduled for today. When the pool people demolished the pool, they thankfully replaced the fence temporarily (pulled back together with “bubble gum and rubber bands.”)  Cat LOL until the fence company could do it for real. Unfortunately that has taken almost 4 months. So with the storms this morning I was thinking it wouldn’t happen, but they are out there now. There are only 2 guys, so it’s going to take a while. Not sure what is going to happen if it starts to rain again. They may have to stop in the middle of the job and I may have cars driving on my lawn! Yikes!

Another good thing about not having the pool to worry about is…I got my electric bill the other day, and they lowered my budget payment $20/month. Amazing how much electricity is being saved without the pool motor being on 12 hours a day!

Hope everyone is enjoying their day. Meanwhile I need more coffee! N.

coffee with rain.jpgMmmmm!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 194

Morning all -awoke to 52* temps, presently 62* and sunny at least climate wise. Normal temps in Maine today.

Received less than pleasant news of my old Rabbi (not Religious title) has pneumonia and so, has been kicked off lung transplant list. Given weeks or short months to live.

In this case Rabbi is trusted friend who has good ideas and can figure out most things. Talked me through several life altering events. You hit a certain age (it gets earlier and earlier) and whammo.

@n566192l 

From your browser window if you wish to post pictures, scroll up on Android 

86954C97-C555-48AC-B533-F695191240FE.jpegWaiting for Phil.

Click on camera icon, above your post.

Click on Photo Library.

click on photo , checkmark should appear on photo.

Click done or enter title.

Click done and post.

A bar should appear along photo bottom as it uploaded ads, and is saved to aarp.

Continue post or hit done.

Fair warning, I may have missed a step, up until 3 am, digging through old pm’s For a friend.

Have a good day

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 194

@catwoman500, a burst of energy is always a good thing. 

I take it you don't do online banking or Bill Pay?  I write one check a month and that is to my private landlord.  (I did ask if she did Apple Pay. Woman LOL)

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 194

Hi, Everyone,

Woke up this AM (thank goodness, LOL) and had this thought that I never received my VISA bill for July! Looked in my checkbook and sure enough there was no check written for last month. Called the customer service and got a little help, but then asked the guy if it would be better if I actually went to a branch of that bank and just paid the bill. He said yes, so I exercised and got human looking (just so I don’t scare off small animals and children) and drove to the bank. So glad I was acceptable looking because as I was writing my check for the balance, the woman who was helping me asked if I taught grade school. Here, one of the tellers was a mother of one of my former students. She recognized me even though I didn’t know her from Adam. But, when she said her daughter’s name, instantly I pictured her daughter as a first grader and smiled. One of my favorite kids.

Anyway, problem taken care of…I even paid off this coming bill which should arrive any day. That done, I had a spurt when I got home and worked on my vacuum cleaner. It wasn’t sucking well so I pulled a bunch of stuff out the bottom, stuck a hanger down the intake pipe thingie and voila the vacuum is fine again. That being done, my super woman powers were raging so I got the step ladder (UGH! I’m so afraid to climb anything with my disintegrating body) and I changed 4 hi hat bulbs in my kitchen ceiling. There is still one out, but it is impossible to reach and has been out for at least a year. So…I have done enough to earn another cuppa Joe!

Be careful with the storms that some of us are expecting!

coffee break.jpgBut first...COFFEE!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 194

@n566192l 

Well they’re non-poisonous, they just smell bad and are a tad slimy. 

Something other than flies might like them, and stinkhorn seem to like them👍.

The bleach/water mix might kill other creatures, same with Lime. Table salt or digging them out might work the best but, it’s a crapshoot.

I’d probably ignore them if it were me. And if you have other wildlife in the area.No telling what the deer might be browsing on , in the same patches as your present stinkhorns.

Really the only thing that offends my olfactory system is one swamp in the area NH with a large plot of skunk cabbage, those STINK, 1/2 acre anyone. As pleasant to smell as real skunks, just in greater concentration.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 194

Frozen,

When I Googled how to get rid of elegant stinkhorn, I wasn't sure if the options were good for the other wildlife. Many deer,  geese etc also call this area home. See a landscaper saw this stuff. I just wanted to look at the Whole picture here. That's why I reached out to you more informed people. People who care about the environment and living things. Honestly I had no clue what this even was. If it serves no purpose in the food chain, I will just pull it out.  Thanks my friend 😊 for giving me the links to  research. I have time today, rain delay, good day to read up on fungus I guess. 

Nancy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera