WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! MARCH-APRIL

Message 41 of 226

41* and rain through Sunday evening, with flood watch up for rivers due to runoff and snowmelt.

Tonight will prove interesting river is within earshot of my house on both sides, it’s a good 300’ and 10’ up ,before hitting the road.

And on that cheery note need to attempt playing in the woodpile,  would like some wood for tonight. 

Froze

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 226

@MsStretch   Scary and sad a tree killing someone you knew.   I used to think the huge pines next to ranch houses, dwarfing  them, were so beautiful and reminiscent of the living in a jungle.  Now I do not! 

We are still having great weather, it will cool off drastically this weekend.  Looks like 50s for Saturday. But then the 80s return next week and probably not leave for about 6 months.   I would not mind a longer spring.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 226

Hi, Porch Peeps!

Not a fan of wind myself. Never haved been and then almost being knocked over that time, I'm even more wary of it.

@MsStretch ...that is awful about your neighbor! Cat Sad

Good Friday seems to be next on Mother Nature's agenda. Storms forecast for this area.

Dentist was today; car in for service tomorrow. It should be OK for errands early on Friday, too. Then it's batten down the hatches.

Laughing...got the permit for the pool demolition delivered today. Should have been hanging here 2 weeks ago. Our little borough is not exactly speedy with stuff like that. Cat LOL N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 226

MsStretch,

So sorry about your neighbors. We had some kind of Cluster thunderstorms the other day in NJ. Sounded like a sonic boom. My dogs went nuts at 4:30 am. So, I figured it was time to get up and start my day. I started the coffee maker, looked out the window, and 3 deer where in my fenced in yard. I took the dogs out the other door, hoping the deer would make their own way out. Took a while but they are out of the yard. I hope you are doing better today. All that commotion can be very disturbing even days afterwards.

Just packing up boxes to send out. I am a little behind this Easter, I missed placed 25 canned hams. I just found them today. 

Frozenoem, I am sending your box out. Any need for a canned ham. I only need 9 for the veterans monthly boxes. 

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 226

54* and first true sign of Spring, flood warnings went up for the coming week, especially if rain comes later.

We also got the first warning for fire danger in areas without snow cover, dwindling but, I am still in the green, at #4.

1236D79A-9AFA-4DD7-B4AF-45417ADADEB6.jpeg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 226

@MsStretch 

Developed much the same feeling regarding strong winds around 10 years back, when what I hoped would be a 150 + -year Maple crashed down on my bay window roof.

No loss of life but, checked 2 remaining and the Elm and all had to come down, diseased.

Gaia knows venting is allowed here for sanity, at least it kept me from snapping several times this Winter.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 226

Spring roaring in like a vicious lion here in my neck of VA.  Severe storm lashed hell and fury down upon us Sunday night.  Unfortunately, with it came tragedy when a neighbor was killed by a tree that crashed on their house at the dead end where I live. She was 78 years old and her husband is 82 and he narrowly escaped.  Our little street was lit up with fire, rescue, and sheriff vehicles and the next day, our quiet little neighborhood was inundated with reporters and workers to remove rest of tree and secure house.  Their son lived next door.

We lost power (and water because of well), but my discomfort and inconvenience just paled.  Still seems so surreal.  When storm hit, my indoor cat and I ran downstairs, it scared us so much, but it passed quickly.  Alas... not quickly enough.  So sad.

I was just bemoaning the end of bushwhacking season with the return of greenery and ticks and snakes, then this.  I may really end up hating the start of spring.

But don't need to put a damper on the front porch.  Just venting.  Musing.  Babbling.  I really do hate the cold and snow.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 226

@catwoman500 

The vinegar and water mix works better than pricier mixtures, and definitely better than tomato juice.

The Febreze is for particularly more stubborn sprays. My Rottweiler Tucker had an occasional sweet mother scent on his ears. Vet suggested the Febreze for being non-toxic.👍

It worked and if he suggested,  just kept doing. 

Vinegar is an only standby for killing bad aroma’s in camps up here.

Full strength 1/2 C 3 Monks Vinegar brand mixed with 1/2 C warm water and 2 Tbs baking soda, mix in bowl, let it foam up, then dump in spray bottle and add 11-12 drops of peppermint oil extract up , kills the smell of spotted territory by cats, foxes, dogs, etc.

Also works on rugs and carpets if you let it set on stains for hours, before hitting with steam cleaner. After salad/ vinegar smell dissipates, you only smell peppermint.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 226

Good Afternoon, All,

Sitting here with more coffee trying to get warm. We have a sunny day here, but only 57. Pollen is flying as it is windy again.

Yes, I have heard of the tomato juice trick for skunks, but I think mostly for your pets if they get sprayed. Luckily nothing other than the air gets sprayed around here.

@LaDolceVita ...Yes...it is a bittersweet feeling about the pool. No more worries, but no more swimming. I just took photos of the grass starting to grow. Wish I could post pictures like I used to, but still not able to do that here on AARP.

Hope everyone is having some good weather. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 226

@LaDolceVita 

Nothing is particularly oppressive at the moment, even with snow on ground warmer temp’s make it easier to deal with.

Chell and I explored her kennel this am, snow pack is down. 39* and 10-20 mph gusts with clouds and a little rain.

Where snow is down to ground  smelled like Spring. Where snowpack still up felt cold and wintry. 

When Red’s opens the saner neighbors return from warmer climes. Might be a trip to Wiscasset in my menu, for clams or lobster rolls.

Spring is coming, mud and road construction (pot hole repair) and my favorite when snows are gone tree frog or peepers in the woods.👍

Instead Of hoof prints in ice, looked at moose and deer prints on the driveway, guess Spring is here.

Froze

Kudos
Views