Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! THIS ADDITION IS CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to March 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the morning. Going to be a busy day tomorrow. Remember that January-Feburary is CLOSED now.

68403-Goodbye-February.jpg299033-Welcome-March-Welcome-Spring.gifFB_IMG_1550937246914.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

Tether perhaps?

Froze

I'm with Straight Talk.  No tethering.

BUT apparently, the Verizon call center isn't always up-to-date on what is happening in the field.  Last night at about 7 PM, a Verizon bucket truck showed up on street, then a couple more trucks.  I was told a FedEx truck took out the fiber optic line and indeed, they ran a new line the length of the street (dead end, I'm at the end).  That was the easy part.  They worked on the connections, final touches until middle of night.  Meanwhile, I had hooked my TV up to PC as a dual monitor, so I could watch DVDs.  (I am not used to total silence, always have TV on for background noise.)  Sometime during 'Spartacus' (the Starz version, not Kirk and Tony), I heard my alert for mail, so knew I was back online.

So happily typing (and knocking on wood) on my keyboard once again!

(For some reason, the AARP format just doesn't do well for me on mobile devices and it does not play nice at all with my preferred browser, Opera.  Have to use Foxfire for just AARP.)

Honored Social Butterfly

51* and snow coming tonight.

@MsStretch 

It was a thought for tethering.

Safari works for AARP and me, only an occasional cuss word, generally in PM’s. 

All I did for excitement was a minor patrol of neighbors. Lights in empty house. No footprints or breaks, I may be getting too old for this stuff.

Think I need to play with furnace again gonna be colder when the snow starts, another 8” + coming.

And play in woodpile again, snow is really getting old this year.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly

Frozenoem,

I will be sending you out a package this week 😀. I hope you get the furnace working, with more snow headed your way.  I still can't believe all the snow you had to deal with this year.

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Unfortunately I’m feeling every single broken bone in my body right now, humidity and cold are a PITA.

Won’t pay emergency rate for restart 🤬, hoping for Monday just trying to last.

Froze

Fiscal responsibility 😡

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch this cool and dark Friday morning. Will turn partly sunny and reach 60* this afternoon. Weekend will reach upper 60's.

We will be watching the finale 4 Men's basketball this weekend.

Spring flowers are sticking their noses out. 

Is anyone getting ready for a milestone event like a birthday this Spring? We have ordered tickets for a couple of Milwaukee Brewers games for the Spring.

Have a restful weekend everyone!

spring_picture_165952.jpgDeborahYaworsky_cardinal.jpgFB_IMG_1548427576846.jpgFB_IMG_1552661984049.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone!

Back to winter today.Cat Sad

41, rainy, and feels like 36. Just got back from my jaunt to the bank, Fresh Market, Starbucks, and Giant. Feel like I've already put in a day's work. Cat LOL

Well...yesterday the guys finished making the backyard into a backyard again. it is so weird not to look out and see a pool after 35 years. I have such mixed feelings, but a load of worries has disappeared. Hoping the grass starts to grow soon, but these cold temps are not exactly conducive to seed sprouting.

I have a birthday party to attend tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to.

I'd better get busy now.

Have a fun-filled weekend!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Be happy you can see ground, Spring has just been cancelled for me, 3 storms coming every 2 days. 

If you’ve had warmer temp’s it should sprout soon, here they would have put mulch of hay above seed as insulation for seeds(least for newly seeded lawns or after septic planting.

Scott’s has a wonderful mix of green paper and seeds mixture, that Works wonders. Sun & Shade for its name. Helps fill-in bare spots.

Where, why the mountains of Western Maine where else🤬, that is not a happy face.

Time to watch video in YouTube, how to bleed your furnace. Power back, furnace ran dry, got a fill, need to bleed hopefully figurative.

Furnaces I tend to avoid playing with, I don’t mind rebooting but, it is more technologically advanced than most computers. They put a chip in this one😡.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Yep, lots of hay was put down over the seed. Cat Wink

Catwoman500, Happy to hear that your project is finished and all went well. We have the same rainy day here in New Jersey. Finished 35 boxes and sent them out today. Have to make room for more donations. Frozenoem, remember send me a list of items I'll send if I can. No worries 👍. Just have to finish up some paperwork, than a movie with the pups. Enjoy your evening Nancy
Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Congrats to your daughter and you.

Winter is back for the moment, here. 21*, I refuse to figure wind chills in Spring but, the wildly waving Maples and Pines put the winds around 30-41 mph.

Snowed a few inches last night and now it melts on bare ground, on snowpack it will take awhile longer. More snow through Sunday, I just might be over it.🤣

Enjoy, time to bundle up and dig to oilfill. Then pickup something for Chelli and me but, first fire.

Powers out and my backup generator has a fault in circuit.

really want to troubleshoot it dragging an 80lb scope , next door-ish.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

43* and cloudy with snow? Tomorrow, no surprise there.

Latest we’ve had snow in one form or another was June 1.

Seems like a good time to shovel out and dump ashes from the stove and its ash bucket.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

28* feels like 8* courtesy of winds blowing through, behind glass toasty outside fugetabout it.

At least our overnight temp’s will be in the 20’s not, the 0-14* range.

It’s warming up.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, Everybody!

Today is April 1st.  And I'm sure y'all know mischievous gremlins will be out and about.  So watch out and don't be fooled!

Image result for animated april fools' day

Also, thank God we lived to be able to kick March to the proverbial curb. It was a rough month and will NOT be missed.  Even on the last day of the month, we had to endure one last dusting of snow.  Winter.  Icky Poo!  Yes, there's no love lost as March passes.  So to it I say, "Bye Felicia!"

Image result for bye march

Image result for bye march

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone have a great April Fool's Day! Have a great first week of April.

April Fools’ DayAlthough April Fools’ Day, also called All Fools’ Day, has been celebrated for several centuries by different cultures, its exact origins remain a mystery.

Some historians speculate that April Fools’ Day dates back to 1582, when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, as called for by the Council of Trent in 1563.

People who were slow to get the news or failed to recognize that the start of the new year had moved to January 1 and continued to celebrate it during the last week of March through April 1 became the butt of jokes and hoaxes.

These pranks included having paper fish placed on their backs and being referred to as “poisson d’avril” (April fish), said to symbolize a young, easily caught fish and a gullible person.

READ MORE: 9 Outrageous Pranks That People Actually Fell For

Historians have also linked April Fools’ Day to festivals such as Hilaria, which was celebrated in ancient Rome at the end of March and involved people dressing up in disguises.

There’s also speculation that April Fools’ Day was tied to the vernal equinox, or first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, when Mother Nature fooled people with changing, unpredictable weather.

April Fools’ Day spread throughout Britain during the 18th century. In Scotland, the tradition became a two-day event, starting with “hunting the gowk,” in which people were sent on phony errands (gowk is a word for cuckoo bird, a symbol for fool) and followed by Tailie Day, which involved pranks played on people’s derrieres, such as pinning fake tails or “kick me” signs on them.

In modern times, people have gone to great lengths to create elaborate April Fools’ Day hoaxes. Newspapers, radio and TV stations and Web sites have participated in the April 1 tradition of reporting outrageous fictional claims that have fooled their audiences.

In 1957, the BBC reported that Swiss farmers were experiencing a record spaghetti crop and showed footage of people harvesting noodles from trees; numerous viewers were fooled. In 1985, Sports Illustrated tricked many of its readers when it ran a made-up article about a rookie pitcher named Sidd Finch who could throw a fastball over 168 miles per hour.

In 1996, Taco Bell, the fast-food restaurant chain, duped people when it announced it had agreed to purchase Philadelphia’s Liberty Bell and intended to rename it the Taco Liberty Bell. In 1998, after Burger King advertised a “Left-Handed Whopper,” scores of clueless customers requested the fake sandwich.

351855-Happy-April-Fools-Day.jpg351844-Wishing-You-.jpg351857-Wishing-You-And-Your-Family-.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this last day of March! It is a cool 35* and sunny this afternoon. Hoping everyone has a great week ahead. 80752-Goodbye-March-Hello-April.jpg351847-Let-There-Be-Sunshine- (1).jpggettyimages-685470342-1024x1024.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

41* cloudy, first will come the rain, then it will turn to snow-what else.

But, in another month might actually SEE the dirt, once more.

Time to DIG another path to oil fill, At least I won’t need to go down 10 foot again, plowbank down to 7 foot.😎

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Everyone,

So…last night was Game Night. Had a great dinner out and then back to one of the ladies’ houses to play games. It supposedly made it to 75 yesterday in Philly, but pretty sure it wasn’t that high here. It was really nice though.

This morning it was grocery shopping for me and it just started to sprinkle as I got to the parking lot. It rained while I was shopping and had stopped by the time I was leaving. Started up again just as I brought in the last bag. Luck was with me. It’s kind of chilly today. 51 with intermittent rain.

Spoiler alert…Gross thing…if you are squeamish, don’t read the rest of my post.

As I was going around the side of the house to get the trash can, I see this carcass on the driveway. Totally grossed me out, but I had to kind of look at it to see what it was. Could have been a gutted groundhog by the looks of the feet. I couldn’t see the head that well, and I’m sure as H--l not going any closer. The whole midsection was gone except for the bones. I am not an expert on things like this, but hoping it was a fox that did it???? (and not a coyote) This has never happened before so I’m hoping that some scavenger will return tonight and haul the rest of it away. @Frozenoem ...Is this wishful thinking?

I Googled to see if it was possible that a coyote would be in this area and was greeted by the giant headline:

Coyote Sightings On The Rise In Suburban Philadelphia

Well, isn’t that just peachy? They are known to carry rabies, so another dandy little piece of info. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Had another perfect mini-storm kinda day, no net after reading your post this day.

Call your local fish & game or game warden for your remnants.

At least up here they come identify and sometimes remove the body, they like to know what happened to them.

Natural, predator or ?? Demise.

Be Happy you have a physical address to send them to. Back before GPS on mobile, it was a real PITA telling them just where the pieces of an animal were to be found.

Nothing like Taking a 10 mile hike, returning to car, and taking a warden up again. Or worse describing the location by boundary points.

Hope you get things squared away.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Porch Peeps!

37 degrees, feeling like 31. Earlier it was 32 feeling like 26. Had to find my gloves since I had thought I was finished with them. Must be Mother Nature's idea of an April Fools joke.

When I left for the post office the "de"-construction guys had already been working for over 3 hours. Looks like a quarry in my backyard. Cat Tongue Sounds like the day of reckoning!

So, anyway, @Frozenoem ...one of the guys' SUV's was parked over where the carcass was yesterday, and when I pulled out of the drive, I looked under his vehicle and couldn't see a thing, so hoping my wishful thinking came to fruition and some other scavenger hauled it away last night. I just don't think he would park over a carcass and maybe have some kind of yucky smell invade his SUV.

Back when I was teaching, April Fool's day was a mixed bag. Fun to play little jokes on my first graders, but their ideas of jokes were not very high caliber since they were only 6 and 7. Loved that I didn't teach the older kids. That could have been scary. Cat LOL

Have a great day, everyone, and don't get fooled! N.

@catwoman500  I still keep winter coats and gloves handy, probably will need these in the morning for a few weeks.  We will be in the 70s every day except Sunday, when it will hit 80.  Yeah, and thunderstorms.  Hopefully not with tornadoes.  Spring can be scary.

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m late punctuality doesn’t happen lately.

40* feels like 30*, judging by the Sugar Maple rocking in the breeZe.

Today will hopefully be only the fall jacket, waterproof to rain, turning to snow later.

Eventual warmer temp’s I hope promised  for next week. Snow pack is dwindling, barely 4’ from plow, and 3’ in Chelli’s kennel.

She’s still in coat, time to get whatelse firewood. But at least I’m caffeinated.🤣

Froze

GREETINGS,

Well, it looks like my daughter is going to graduate this May from Rutgers University. Plus, she has a job offer. The job is for writing the math curriculum for a high school. Ashley applied for a teaching position, they recommend her for this position. 66* and somewhat windy. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their day. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch this last Friday morning of of March!

As a Vietnam Era Veteran I would like to remember all Veterans past, present and future. 

Good Morning My Family, Friends, Brothers, and Sisters. May this day bring you Peace, Love, Joy and Happiness. I pray that each of you have a Beautiful Day. Blessings to all.

Today is also another special day. It’s a day that the Vietnam Veterans and Era Veterans finely get their WELCOME HOME DAY FOR 2019. For all of you that have never received your Welcome Home Brother and Sisters know that America is trying to redo wrong that occurred to them upon your return from your tour in Vietnam. May your day be blessed with forgiveness.

Please also Remember it is R. E. D. Friday (Remember Everyone Deployed). Please keep all of our Brothers and Sisters that are deployed in your prayers until they all return. This includes our MIA’s. God Bless everyone.

FB_IMG_1553871246307.jpgFB_IMG_1552661984049.jpgFB_IMG_1541954334361.jpgFB_IMG_1552947521712.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Dave,

Everytime I go to my closet one for coat, and one for shuttered area of my brain - I remember Vietnam, my cousin Navy, MOH, and one Destroyer class his namesake.

Thanks for your service.

Can’t do the wall Panel 50, First miss.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, All!

Cloudy and 55 here...should reach 60 and then getting warmer until Sunday when it drops again.

Chilly in the house though.

Message from my pool guy saying the contractor will start to drain the pool this weekend. Yay...progress!

@PattyDiane ...sounds like a wonderful festival you have down there!

Take care everyone. N.

Greetings

Thank all of you for reminding me what day  it was. I was able to have a BBQ at my house tonight, for some people who served during the war. May you all have a great night. Thank you! Again

Nancy

Greetings

Just a beautiful day windows are open and fresh air is streaming through. Cleaning and picking up donations for the share tomorrow, also giving my car a good interior cleaning. Enjoy your day Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

42* and raining.

Busy going relatively nuts, staging 40+ year old California speakers for an ad. 

Have discovered again why I never moved them, without hand trucks/dollies. 

Anyone ever hear of “Saras Of America” or Have suggestion for where to get a valuation on ST-200.

My eyes have gone bleary , tower of power has become a tower of hernia.

Ughh! Time to pick up from floor. Can’t get right lighting at ground level, then need to clean cabinets. 

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

48* and sunny -woohoo!!

Slippers weather to garage.

I feel snow or rain heavy is coming-boo hiss. Discovered another reason for enjoying Merrill’s gore Tex. Snow melts, creek rises and sometimes vehicles stall.

As long as water isn’t over boot tops dry tootsies. How to meet 20 of your neighbors, pushing a truck off the road. In Maine speak same town = neighbor. 

Gotta pre-soak ms Worms is at it again.👎

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for sweet doggy facesGood morning Everybody!

Thank God it's Friday! It took all week long to get here. But I am so happy that it's finally here. Wishing everyone out there on Our Front Porch the bestest weekend possible.

Just in case you didn't know, today is National Vietnam Veterans Day. So if you see a soldier while you're out and about,  don't forget to thank him or her for their service.

Ciao,

Lydia 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP