Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to September 2019 Goodbye August. 

Hoping everyone has a great Labor Day Weekend. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Recognized Social Butterfly

Greetings,

Friday night a girl friend and I went to see the 5th Dimension. Great show. One of the original members of the band was actually there. She looked great and can still sing.

Saturday, I drove to wine tasting event at Bellview Winery. Great sunny day to just soak up some rays. I'm not much of a wine drinker, loved the wine names. Names, like Jersey 😈 ,  Under the Arbor. ETC.

Just raining here . Today, I learned where the sterile cats get fed. So, I am going to be helping out with the 🐈.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Monday, Everyone,

Nothing exciting happening here in the Philly burbs...for me anyway. It's 66 and sunny; a real pretty day.

Yesteray it rained and rained and rained. Tomorrow it will rain and rain and rain. So it's nice to have a break every other day or so.

Tomorrow is breakfast with my teacher friends. Wednesday is the dentist, oh goodie.

I have used my electric blanket nightly since Friday. I have also had the heat on over the weekend. Guess it's really fall now.

That about wraps up the news from here. Back to you in the newsroom. N

Yep!Yep!

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning all Wednesday awoke to Messiah as an alarm on IPhone, stumbled down the stairs to have coffee. Forgot filter I hope it Improves from here.

Expresso grounds first thing

in am with call in progress not good. 

50* under darkened skies awaiting the skies to open up with rain.

One more day to something, y'all have a good day and never ever answer the phone at 4am. And expect to be alert from 8-10am.😇

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views

Greetings,

My local news had a little segment on today, about this guy in Tennessee who grow over a 900 lbs pumpkin. He turned the pumpkin into a boat and was rowing around a lake. He just looked so happy. 

The rain is gone, sun is out and shining. Enjoy your day. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

45* and cloudy, still have leaves on some trees, slow mulching season.

I managed to survive the chainsaw use, glad I had chaps on though. I'm not 60 anymore and with my balance of late, the chaps are made to jam up the saw (keep limbs attached -mine).

@LydiaN586309 

As long as your tree surgeons aren't hunters, you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone.

Up here everyone and their brother seems to be hunting. The only reason I started cutting my own trees, to a point. No longer do height unless I rent a cherry picker.

Between the log cabin and camp got some real practice in.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

I'm on vacation and have been incognito.  Enjoying staying up late and sleeping in or going to bed early and doing the same at dawn.  It's nice to have no specific place to be at any particular time.  Gives me a taste of what retirement might be like for me in the very near future.  How nice!

This morning it's super cold here--35 degrees, after a night of dizzling rain. Ol' Arthur (my name for arthritis) is really kicking in what with the sharp change in weather.  But for me that's the norm.  Joints giving me a challenge right now.  So after my cup of coffee (maybe two) and a hot, hot shower, I plan on doing a few stretches and getting on my stationery bike for a mile or two.  That usually helps prime my pump and oil my gears.

Yesterday, my god-sister and I spent the morning cutting down some small trees and overgrowth in her backyard.  I did the sawing and together we did the raking and hauling away.  What a workout....and NOT a pound lost!!!  How is that?  Anyway, that's another task done.  So glad it's done.  Now, we just have to find a tree guy who can cut down the biggest tree in the yard.  It's about six to seven feet around and over two stories tall.  Believe me, I do NOT exaggerate.  We've had two or three tree guys out over the past few of months.  But not one seemed confident enough or capable of taking the job on.  Has something to do with "where" the tree is.  You see, the tree is situated in the backyard and over the years (fifty plus) it grew with abandon and is now tightly wedged between my god-sister's garage, the fence, and the next door neighbors garage.  And when I say it's a tight fit, I mean TIGHT!  So we're determined to find someone who will take on the job, get it done right, and not charge us an arm and a leg.  Ahhh, the joys of home ownership.

Anyway, that's my update for today.

Hope everyone is doing okay.  Get those porches swept and the furniture either covered or taken in cuz old man winter is on his way!

Smiles,

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

I really hear you on mr Arthur, and weather changes . 83% humidity and 31* last night was sending me towards the Baileys/Jamison for coffee.

Heavy rains or snowstorms have started to do me in, only relief comes when around 12 hours from the storm.

Re: your tree issue a good tree surgeon should be able to solve it for you, if he spikes up and cuts from top to bottom. 

We had to hire one of wife's former students to cut down our maple trees on front yard. Too close to power and house and road but, rotting. $250 for 4 rock sugar maples, approx 100 years old.

Cut right down to ground level, don't ask about my choice of language as I needed firewood and tried to move and split.

A neighbor from mile up the road appeared at 100* with his 20 Ton wood splitter , it saved my back. courtesy of it ability to split vertical or horizontally.

And on that cheery note, need to reinforce garage door, the winds expected are going to be fun. Doubt if my picnic table in yard will move, even in 80 mph gusts.Too danged heavy it's pressure treated.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday noonish, 51* and cloudy the first band of winds have passed. The power and cell tower went with them.

Now back for the moment -Woohoo. Guess I get to discover if I can still use chainsaw lost a couple of tree limbs.

Gotta find my chaps just in case of oopsies, after fresh coffee brews. Power returned as camp stove was percolating pot.

Enjoy all

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

And samples everywhereAnd samples everywhere4-3-700x394.jpg11-700x525.jpg12-700x466.jpgWisconsin's Award Winning Farmers Market

A Market for All Seasons Peck's Farm Market East in Spring Green is sure to delight every member of your family. With fresh vegetables, sweet corn, fruit, Wisconsin Cheese, Amish candy, gourmet specialty foods, pumpkins, gift and craft shop, deer farm and horse drawn wagon rides, Peck's Farm Market East is a great place to shop and visit year round. Located two miles east of Spring Green on U.S. Hwy 14, 35 miles west of Madison, Peck's Farm Market East is just minutes away from American Players Theatre, House on the Rock, Baraboo and the Wisconsin Dells.

Quality Fresh Produce since 1889! 
We are independently owned and operated.

60384558_10157644419837526_8629741117698473984_o.jpg72085457_10158060708872526_5712100611537764352_o.jpg72327184_10158060708772526_488225133152960512_o.jpg

28346591_JlTFCCGTF_gO5xpM9ClX9hhvIWoqFRRKOkuTz2ny4Ro.jpg

20881971_10155825540457526_2987128326153700710_n.jpg42280884_10157065433352526_4164160162875047936_o.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps!

Another lovely day here. Not as warm as yesterday, but sunny. Tomorrow we are supposed to get a lot of rain which apparently we need.

The closest farm type market to me closed over a year ago. A family run business that probably the younger generation didn't have interest in continuing. I miss it as it's where I used to get my outside flowers and plants.

No pumpkins outside for me. Squirrel population outranks humans here and it would be a waste of money. I always used to carve a Jack o' lantern, but learned it was a waste of my time and effort.

I'd have to drive too far to reach a good farm market so didn't even get mums this year. So far our temps have enabled the summer potted plants to stay alive, so at least there's still a little color.

Enjoy life! N.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch on this cloudy Tuesday morning which started the early morning with light rain but will reach 60*. The next few days will be cooler but not much of a chance for rain. 

Now that we are moving deeper into Fall we are seeing the last of the Farmers markets this year. So who here has visited the markets to buy some items for your table like squash and items like pumpkins to decorate your porch or deck?

72449454_10212609012934682_4628353768595914752_n.jpg42780566_2441263659246916_7607078261713010688_n.jpgcozy-cabin-fall-porch-decor-1566919173.jpg10-img_4653-682x1024.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this cool and over cast morning on this Sunday morning in October 2019.

This morning brings some football withdrawal as the Packers do not play until Monday night. UW Madison keeps rolling on with a Super Defensive that has held 4 teams scoreless. 

Wisconsin’s football team is good this season — like really, really good — but much of the focus has been on running back and Heisman Trophy candidate Jonathan Taylor. And that’s understandable.

But the Badgers’ defense has been practically impenetrable and is the best in the nation. The defense entered Week 7 ranked No. 1 in both average points against (5.8) and average yards per game allowed (178.6), and it seems likely to remain at the top of those two categories going into Week 8.

The latest victim of Wisconsin’s dominating defense was Michigan State, which lost, 38-0, in Madison on Saturday. It was the Badgers’ fourth — 4TH! — shutout of the season, and they didn’t give up points through the first 10 quarters of their schedule. They also have not yet trailed in a game.

Perhaps the most absurd stat, however, is that Wisconsin has allowed the same number of touchdowns this season as its defense has scored. It’s four, which is wild.

Hoping everyone has a great week ahead and restful night's sleep. 

18-autumn-porch-with-pumpkin-topiaries-01.jpg71705178_210926579895622_7509607582407852032_n.jpgzu2671742_main_tm1377731212.jpg71298614_2276944505765679_797250551245963264_n.jpg

Greetings,

Saw on the News that the Biggest avocado, weighing in at over 5 bls was grown in Hawaii. 

Frozen, I have a box ready to go to you. Should I include ensure. If so please advise what flavor.

Weather is nice and warm and sunny. Just finished my physical therapy and knee shots.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your day. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

54* and cloudy - saw my first bright orange painted horse of the season.

Which means moose season has begun for one week. First human sighted wearing orange to mulch leaves, that will be me.

One of the joys of living in the country or even a village, self preservation becomes a good idea.

@n566192l 

Surprise me on flavors, just counting down the days to doctors appt's at this stage.

Froze

Greetings,

Saw on the News today, that a yellow cardinal was spotted and photographed. I learned something new today. I had no idea Cardinals could be yellow also. Just beautiful here. 55 presently going up to 67. The sun is out. Also, The News reports  a beautiful baby whale Bering spotted.  Take care of yourself and others. Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Today is just gorgeous! It's 70 inside and out! The sun is shining and the birds are chirping. Lots going on around the neighborhood today. Looks like the next door neighbors are getting a new garage door, and the people who moved in catty-corner across the street are having a HUGE shed built. I accomplished cleaning the porch, and other than cooking up some veggies, that will be the extent of my exertion today. In the middle of doing the porch I had to come in and change from a sweatshirt to a tee. I'm very achy after the porch job, so decided to have a sit-down, coffee, and chat with you all.

Also...I have decided that sometime this fall I will have that elusive pumpkin pie that I haven't had in 2 years. Hope to find a small one somewhere so it isn't wasted.

Have a lovely week! N.

This WILL happen this year!This WILL happen this year!

@catwoman500   Yes do enjoy your pumpkin pie for me too.  I use artificial sweeteners and I am able to make a nice pecan pie and most other desserts but regular pumpkin pie does not play nice with artificial sweeteners.  Pumpkin cheesecake does very well though.

@Frozenoem  Yes the wearing of the orange!  I send hubby to work at homestead with very bright orange shirt.  It has been so long since I have been to the homestead that I have not bought the required clothing Woman Sad.

Honored Social Butterfly

49* and sunny - did manage to actually leave the house this morning, had to help friend drain his camp.

One of the joys of no electricity or central heat-300 gallons back to the lake. 

@LaDolceVita 

Hunters orange is not for fashion, think I've had same vests, jackets, caps and hats for 30 years. Required wear vs oopsies and life flight.

Still supposed to get a rainy and windy 60mph Nor'easter, so the leaves still on trees might not last much longer.

Best shot of Rangeley this morning for color. 

BD923395-CC7E-4EF2-A6D5-EAAFD153EBFC.jpeg

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone here on the Front Porch on this Friday morning October 2019! It is cold, windy with into the early afternoon. There is a good chance of frost tonight in low areas. 

We are looking forward to going to Young Frankenstein this evening with friends at the Preforming Arts Center at one of the local high schools. They will have 3 other plays over the next 6 months. We have always enjoyed going to live performances go back to when we were in college and saw live performances of singing groups like Peter, Paul and Mary. 

Wishing you all a restful and enjoyable weekend. 

15-autumn-front-porch.pngBreakfast served in FiestawareBreakfast served in Fiestaware70828630_1032438677100718_5860440406755377152_o.png (1).jpgFB_IMG_1517787437093.jpg12507399_1549526222036126_5459261819355063997_n.jpgFB_IMG_1544042163891.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

I know I'm late been occupied, tests 🤬, 63* and cloudy.

@n566192l 

Been thinking about your inability to PM and read this bit of n AARP help files, a place I haven't been since maybe 2002-3.

Thought maybe you should check your setting, they're illustrated on the page.

The fact that you can post in this group suggests it may just be a setting needs to be tweaked.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Technology/How-do-I-send-a-private-message/ta-p/2185159

And on that cheery note I'm ravenous and need to call for takeout.

Froze

Hi folks. Finally some rain for us here in the dust bowl.  Sometimes we do not get rain till late in November and then it just keeps raining until summer.  I am still struggling to keep up some semblence of a normal life, not really succeeding.  Dogs are well, mom is well and I am just tired.

@Frozenoem   Sounds like your appetite is OK at least.   Curious about  the different browsers you are using on iphone.  I am only using Safari  mostly because of saved passwords.  Do I need Brave?   I also need glasses, can hardly see stuff on my phone!   That means the eye doctor and I cannot get there too easily, exam takes a while.  

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

I don't know if you need Brave, it's fast , secure and has adblockers. I use on desktop and phone for that speed.

Passwords I'm slightly paranoid 500 30-character passwords, and use manager that's part of my security package, I'm paying for it. Don't like saving passwords in browser, even Safari.

Vision had cataracts, new lenses in my eyes. I blew up my fonts on cellphone.

Settings>Accessibility>
Display and Text size>Large font🤣. And chose my happiness point for reading without glasses.

Appetite is still hit or miss, can eat an entire cheesecake and still lose weight. Still 60 pounds lighter but, have kept 15 pounds on, since March.

I miss my extra padding, like a bear for warmth during hibernation or winters.Taking something for appetite and aches.

Still dizzy, still seeing doctors and no joy or answers.15 months of the same bs.

Froze

Time to play on woodpile, 68* and sunny.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Thursday morning in October 2019. 

We are looking at a cooling period over the next few days with some rain.  We are not expecting to get the snow they are getting from Colorado Colorado North to the Dakotas. 

Hoping everyone is having a great day. 

71320225_10220354356473856_7771414933207515136_n.jpg71554089_1534770743332489_2281120941234716672_n.jpg70925846_10220439649525179_7095290723225829376_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Friday of October 2019! We have a cool start to our morning at 46* with a high of 56* and partly cloudy skies. There is a possibility of rain tomorrow during the Wisconsin Football game. 

Hoping everyone has a restful upcoming weekend and a chance to enjoy the Fall season. Flooding continues to be an issue for many low areas in southern Wisconsin. Hopefully there will be some dry days ahead next week. 

We are hoping to get to the new move about Downton Abbey.

Hopefully things will slow down for Mary as she is going now to pick up her sister from the rehab center were Kathy has been rehabilitating from pneumonia for two.weeks.

71744283_2739371112740290_7927784947174080512_n.jpg347672-Chipmunk-Weekend-Greeting.jpgFB_IMG_1552005149520.jpgil_fullxfull.1981678433_g4cw.jpg

Fall has finally come to Georgia thankfully.  @PattyDiane  I am sure we broke all kinds of records but I have been too busy to check.  We did hit 97 degrees for a few hours last week. 

I am expecting mom's companion to return from rehab in a couple of weeks so hopefully life will return to what it was a month ago.  Everything I do is interrupted so there are very few things I even attempt to do.  Mom is up from 8:30AM to about 8PM and she does not nap.  There are a few quiet hours but one never knows ahead of time when they will happen!

I enjoyed my trip to  Deliverance country  (Rabun county)  but they put a Walmart next to Home Depot.   Woman Frustrated  The mountains were  smoky & beautiful.   Foxfire the movie with Jessica Tandy & John Denver was also shot there.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning , Front Porch Peepers!

It has been very cold here in the early mornings.  So today I decided to slide out of bed, close back the covers, turn on the electric blanket, and then as quickly as my aching bones can carry me, make my way to the kitchen and make myself that one perfect mug of coffee.  Of course, while enroute I thought I'd stop by here and send greetings to the Peeps.  But then I'm gonna slip back under my warmed covers and nurse and slurp my coffee along until either it's gone or I'm gone....back to sleep.  Be good everybody and be good to good ol' irreplaceable YOU!!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

We'll be having a nice warm day today. In the 70's, but then the rain comes.

Out for dinner with the "girls" tonight. Hope the rain holds off.

@LydiaN586309 ...oh, a kindred spirit, here. Every morning that I don't have to be somewhere I get up, grab coffee, and then head back to bed with the coffee and my phone. The Today show is on, so I catch up with the news and weather and read my emails and play a game or 2.

Guess it will soon be time for me to bring down the electric blanket, too.

Have a lovely week, Peeps! N.

Ahhhh, Heaven!Ahhhh, Heaven!

Honored Social Butterfly

56* raining and will continue, Folgers to be replaced by DD really soon. Tonight promises warm temp's overnight.

Colder weather is coming judging by the test firing of snow cannons last night at Sunday River Ski Resort.

Bringing in Firewood from garage to house, prefer to keep some happiness (dry heat) in the wood box.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon Wednesday 56* and sunny still playing in garage, bringing in firewood to house.

Expecting a rainy Northeaster this weekend, least it's not snow.

But, forecast is calling for high winds and 30* overnight temps.

Hope all are doing well, will return eventually, just have been occupied preparing for Winter!

And ghosts and goblins.

@MsStretch I finally found the skeleton at Home Depot or Lowe's. Not everyone can have a Dora.( My Brain May be on vacation this week).

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon Porch Peeps,

We are standing at 55 and feeling like 52 because it is a bit windy. Rain showers off and on.

Looks like we'll be having that rain stuff for a few days, too.

I have to update you on our dinner Monday night:

Everything was going along just fine. We were at the Olive Garden and had just been served the salad and breadsticks. I was wiping my hands on the napkin on my lap when all of a sudden there was a sharp pain in the palm of my hand. I pulled my hand up and a wee shard of glass fell off my hand and onto the floor. Of course my hand was bleedng even though the cut was miniscule and the only thing available was the cloth napkin to wipe the blood. I am not one of those people who like to be the center of attention, but when the waiter came back to ask how everything was so far, one of the girls told him what happened and asked him to bring me another napkin. We are still not sure how a shard of glass got rolled into the napkin along with the silverware, but on with the saga...The waiter tells the manager and he came over to apologize, insisted that they pay for my meal, and told us to order 2 desserts on the house. I thought that was very nice, but my friend said they did that because they were afraid of being sued. HA! That is not how I roll, so that wouldn't have happened.

So, that was the excitement for the week in this part of my world. Cat LOL

Hope everyone has comfortable temps and more sun than there is here.

Eagles won big on Sunday! Cat Very Happy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP