Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. We had an overnight shower to ring in the morning on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that March - April is CLOSED now.

httpsi.pinimg.comoriginals2945d62945d60f334132db56d883665bcdd306.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

No problem for me I stocked up on Picaridin and have DEET for visitors, my clothes have been sprayed for ticks, etc.

By the way black flies are born and come from clean running streams, not dirt. Marvelous creatures, many would fit on common pin head. But, the size of welts are a gift for decades.

That’s pretty much how long the scars last.🤣 My arms may be tanned but, first bites from 1989 are still visible. At least I no longer get fever and cold like symptoms from them😎.

You only see them in swarms, a couple or few would be more of a heard annoyance.  Have tried the bug zappers no luck, salt guns seem to work only if en masse attack.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

You all got me itching, but yes, me too, on restocking up on the picaridin.

Another bane of my existence are no see ums. Jeez. But, let me tell you, the worst has got to be chiggers.  Stay out of tall grass!

Anybody got some favorite itch relief suggestions?  I was reading that the main ingredient in AfterBite used to be ammonia which is pretty effective, so I tried some window cleaner when I had nothing else.  Then, I just cut out all the extra ingredients and went with straight ammonia.  A little strong, but it seems to give some relief.  A little dab will do it; much more and your eyes might water and you tend to smell like a mop bucket.  Woman Wink

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@n566192l 

Best I can say is I’ve been pitching the merits of “After Bite” and Itch eraser since ‘83. From “Ambo” days, served dual purpose wakey, wakey smelling salts to blessed relief from insect bites.

Didn’t mind smelling like ammonia, relief. Picture a beautiful house 3 story situated on a point of land on the ocean, in Mattapoisett, MA. 

Free house, bee hive ovens, water front 10 acres, multiple bug bombs for fleas, chiggers and case of after bite🤣.

Ah to be young again, that case was 2 sticks remaining at the end of summer.And most bottles of Windex had been tapped for relief.

Never cleared that building of little biting blighters.

On that cheery note 60* sunshine and I need to speak to a roofer🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

MsStretch,

How about Benadryl and calamine lotion. Just a thought. 

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Everybody here on Our Front Porch!

I hope we have all made it through another week and are ready to begin a new week of life, love, and everything good.  We've had a bunch of what I call "combination" weather here.  Yesterday, we had warmth, cold, rain, hail, lightening, winds, and then sun and dry ground like nothing ever happened. Today?  I'm hoping for calm inside and out. The sump has finally stopped thumping and the rain that lasted all night has stopped.

So everyone...

This is .....

Relax and do you!

Lydia

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

332242-It-s-The-First-Day-Of-June-Celebrate-Have-A-Good-Morning- (1).jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first day and Saturday of June 2019. Cloudy today with a high of 73* with midafternoon rain. Hoping to get to the front lawn tomorrow. Have a great rest of your weekend.

FB_IMG_1558280510134.jpgFB_IMG_1555115995636.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi all,

Happy June!

Last night was our monthly Chinese dinner out. Tonight will be the next play in our subscription.

Right now it is cloudy and 79. Not going much higher. It's nice to be out of the constant storm/tornado watch weather.

Yesterday at the bank, my teller said she manages one of the local rescue squads and on Wednesday when we had that horrible scary weather she had 6 water rescues! I'm thinking they usually don't even have that many in year!

Here's to a calm month weather-wise! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this last Friday and day of May!

Busy weekend coming with a retirement and graduation party. The lawn needs to be cut also.

Golf yesterday was so so with humid weather. Next week, weather allowing I will golf 3 times. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend. 

🤗😆

12182489_1654176101525684_2421202928735904902_o.jpg

Goodbye-May-Hello-June-Picture.jpg

FB_IMG_1558835030801.jpglily-of-the-valley-spring-flowering.jpgFB_IMG_1559269845347.jpgenjoy-the-weekend-quote.jpgFB_IMG_1549040217119.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

I haven't written here lately but today is a day of celebration.  We've had a solid week of temperatures either at or exceeding the previous records, including the first time that we've reached 100 degrees in middle Georgia before June.  It's also the first time I've had to turn on my a/c in the month of May.  We are still in the mid-90's but that's a lot better than 99/100.

@PattyDiane   It looks better for the next 10 days.  I DO NOT like summer.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for good morning everyone animated

Good morning, Front Porchers!

It's a beautiful morning thus far; not necessarily because of the weather, but just because...we're here!

One day during the past week, a quick storm blew through and snapped one of my smaller trees.  Thank goodness it was one of the small ones as it ended up toppling onto all three lines connected to my home--my cable line, the phone line, and the electrical line.  So as I stood there surveying the situation, I decided to attempt to remove the tree from the lines without damaging them or me.  And although the lines were sagging, none of them had been totally taken down by the tree.  So I got on my trusty wooden ladder and tied a rope to the part of the tree I could reach near the top and threw it ways away from it and the wires.  Then I moved the ladder to the mid way part of the tree (above the place were the trunk had broken).  My intention was to get the weight of the tree off the lines before they gave way.  So with my reciprocting saw in hand, I began to cut.  Cut, cut, cut.  Saw, saw, saw and finally the tree gave way and with a crack, the top part of the tree and all of it's leafy branches were now forming a tepee over the lines and the stress was now off of them.  I downed the ladder and pulled the rope--guiding the tree in the ultimate direction I wanted it to fall as it was not quite fully released yet.  So again I moved the ladder, climbed it, and began sawing again, but this time I was sawing the thickest part of the trunk of the tree where the original break had occurred.  Suddenly, I had sawn through and the tree gave way.  I got down from the ladder as fast as I could and gently guided the tree down by the rope.  The lines were now free and intact.  Hooray!

Exhausted from my efforts, I put my tools away and left the felled tree right where it lay--spread out in my backyard and waiting for another day when my strength and energy would be replenished.  By the weekend, I was ready to tackle the cutting up of the tree.  I ended up with several cans of yard waste and several small logs for my fireplace.  A win-win in my opinion.

I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend--with family and/or friends, good food, with rememberances of our lost service men and women who gave their lives for all of us. 

Hope the week brings you all the best of everything. 

But in the meantime, have a ........................

Image result for good morning everyone animated

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

a new nck  is born , logging Lydia complete with reciprocating in hand.😎

You do what you need to do with tools in hand.

Most localities are top wire is power, next Telephone, next Cable. 

Discovered when I called FD for one of my lovely storms and wire that came down in Street.

FD handy, electric company who owned pole 3 hours away😇. Wooden ladder good call! 

I only had aluminum, sure plan for fireworks. 

@DaveMcK 

Pretty much what I got except they were Eaton’s to replace circuit breakers.

Most are unaware of surge strips need to be replace every 2 years. 

49* cloudy and need to dash, dizzily.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Everyone,

Wow! What a wild day here yesterday! No evening news on local TV…all weather. We had tornado warnings, hail, wind, and rain. It was so scary! Now they are showing clips and reports of devastating damage. At one point yesterday they showed videos of egg sized hail not that far from me. It’s unreal when they say a tornado may hit your area in like 5 minutes. They have it timed out as to when it may hit each surrounding town.

I was doing dishes and jumped about a foot when hail hit the window in front of me. Sounded like someone shot at the window. It was so dark at 5PM it was like the middle of the night. All the windows steamed up and I couldn’t see what was going on other than hearing the hail and wind and rain. I know my trashcan was knocked over and the bags fell out. Some Good Samaritan must have up righted it either later last night or early this AM. One bag ended up at the corner with my neighbor’s basketball.

Once again, other than the scariness, we (at least this neighborhood) were spared any major damage. Plenty of little tree limbs and twigs all over, but that is nothing compared to trees ending up in living rooms, cars under trees, flooding and power outages in nearby areas. I checked my car for dings and my plants for damage, but thankfully all is OK around here.

Also I could never even attempt what @LydiaN586309 did! I'm not that brave.

Woke up to sun this AM, but the worst thing is that the same tornadic, etc. conditions are forecast for this afternoon.

Ha! The old-timey street-cleaning machine is on my street right now. Not sure if that was already scheduled or whether they are really on the ball in my little borough.

Stay safe everyone! N.

Greetings,

Catwoman500,

New Jersey's News was all weather also, warmings for tornadoes.  I was very lucky, just a light show in the sky, some rain. I can only imagine how scary that experience was for you 😉.  I am so happy that you are safe and sound.  I did learn something very interesting, if you split the hall stone, you can tell it's life span. Not sure how you do this. Does anyone have a better understanding of the life span of a hall stone.? 

We are just getting a steady rain.

Just packing up boxes and watching 5 🐕. I have 2 visiting pups for a while . Everyone please be safe 🙏. Enjoy your Evening 😊.,.. Nancy

Greetings,

Catwoman500,

New Jersey's News was all weather also, warmings for tornadoes.  I was very lucky, just a light show in the sky, some rain. I can only imagine how scary that experience was for you 😉.  I am so happy that you are safe and sound.  I did learn something very interesting, if you split the hall stone, you can tell it's life span. Not sure how you do this. Does anyone have a better understanding of the life span of a hall stone.? 

We are just getting a steady rain.

Just packing up boxes and watching 5 🐕. I have 2 visiting pups for a while . Everyone please be safe 🙏. Enjoy your Evening 😊.,.. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

67* and partly cloudy, I’m late as per usual couldn’t sleep until 5 am. At least I got some work done.

Froze

@LydiaN586309   Brave woman!!

91 for  high today, humidity only 37%, dont know why it feels so horribly hot. There was a weather statement that we will be having unseasonably  hot weather till mid week.  Midwest apparently has all of our rain, not much possibility n the next 10 days.  Looks rather dry outside, may be heading into a  drought this year.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Front Porch People!

I just can't let the day get away without saying to all......

Related image

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this cloudy Memorial Day!

memorial-day-872467_1280.jpgGraves_at_Arlington_on_Memorial_Day.JPGalways_remember-02_2048x.jpgadlaistevenson-memorial-day-quote-1525289592.jpg

I took Monte to a memorial Day Parade. She was great walk the whole way. We were wearing our matching red, white and blue shirt. Today, really hits home for me. I miss Monte's owner. I am so grateful to have known such a true American. Anyway, came back home to find that the power has been out for hours. One of the transformers caught fire and caused the black out. No one was hurt, thankfully. Crews where able to restore the power. Plus, we have an updated transformer. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your day

Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

60* and sunny here, went to NH and returned, frost warning tonight.

@n566192l 

Glad to hear Monte and you got out.

Check your lights and appliances before needed if transformer has blown on your street.

Been there before, it killed exterior lights and dishwasher.

$800 later surprise from Electrician for new circuit board, and surge circuit breaker for good measure on all electronic laden circuits in house.

Froze

Frozenoem,

Thanks for the heads up on the appliances. When we came home , everything was blinking and buzzing. See, Monte and I left before the transformer blew. Since, I had the phone in the car, I was not aware of the black out. Power was out in my little town since 7am. We left at 6, I promised rides to people for the parade and lunch. Hope you enjoyed your day in NH.  Time to give Monte a bath. Hope everyone enjoys their evening. 

I saw on the news, the service dog by the grave stone of his former owner. So heart 💔❤️ warming ❤️

Honored Social Butterfly

I suggest that everyone should have whole house surge protetors.

Heading Image

Updated March 2019

You likely have at least one of these things somewhere in your home – even if just in the form of a power strip – maybe protecting your modem, computer or TV. For many consumers today, an inline unit that’s connected at the outlet is an essential add-on to any expensive electronics we have in the home.

A Whole House Surge Protector can Keep Your Home Appliances Safe

panel mounted unit

What many consumers don’t realize is that these simple, inexpensive power strips may not be adequate for a serious surge. And you’ve likely overlooked your most expensive electronic devices, leaving them unprotected. Appliances such as your stove, refrigerator washer/dryer or air conditioning unitare all equally susceptible to a large percent of surges, yet most folks don’t bother to protect them. It’s estimated most households have around $10,000 of unprotected electronics on a standard circuit.

With our growing reliance on electronics and our inevitable move towards smart homes, it’s just not feasible to get a power strip for every single outlet in your home. But, you can protect every electronic device in your home with a small investment and a little elbow grease.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening on the Front Porch! Just a friendly reminder. I appreciate the "thanks for my service" from folks but wish they understood the difference between the military holidays. It is hard to have a happy holiday when thinking about all those who never came home.

Have a restful weekend!

FB_IMG_1558753991711.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Friday morning! We have a strong storm moving in now . Nice weather outlook for the holiday weekend. We got to play golf yesterday in my Thursday league. The weather was great but I have played better. We have no big plans for Monday as of now. 

• If you had to choose just one item for your anti-mosquito arsenal, a wise choice would be time-tested OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellent with its 25% DEET concentration that wards off mosquitoes, ticks, flies, and more.

Have a great weekend!

734534_517931191586548_191587225_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1558293566763.jpgFB_IMG_1558359832399.jpgFB_IMG_1557926978025.jpg347672-Chipmunk-Weekend-Greeting.jpgOn-Friday-We-Wear-Red-Wishes-Images.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Mornin', Porch Peeps,

I'm hoping everyone is safe through all of these awful storms that are giving people trouble all over the place.

We were blessed again yesterday although the regular local NBC 11 PM news was all tornado info and weather stuff.

@LaDolceVita ...Yesterday we got to the playhouse in fine weather and even at intermission it was still dry. However...during the second act there was such a LOUD roar of thunder and heavy rain on the roof, that the 2 actors on stage who had just paused in their dialog, looked at each other, then looked up at the ceiling both with questioning looks on ther faces. It was almost as if it had been planned, and the audience burst into laughter. It was quite comical. Cat LOL

When we left, the rain had stopped and the drive home was fine. Luck was with us again...not so much for surrounding counties that had storms and hail and tornado watches until midnight.

Looking forward to a nice (athough hot on Sunday) weekend.

Remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom!  Heart  N.

Honored Social Butterfly

55* it’s above freezing! And cloudy, tonight maybe answers.

Irregardless Of your choice of bug sprays all can be bought at Walmart at least here, the better stuff is end of aisle upper shelf.

I had 100+ year old sugar maples in front yard, had arborists check when ai bought the place, tried to save them for 15 years with trimming and fertilizers and sprays - no luck.

Check with forester/arborist on health of trees around house, root balls, or learn the sound of good vs hollow (dead/rotted) spaces by whacking trees with axe head (hammer end).

Sugar maples can survive quite abit 60-70% and still come back.

No joy here, closed road and brought them down.

Miss the shade, syrup, don’t miss mulching leaves or branches dropping and taking out power lines.

At least I still have apple, pine, maples, birch and old growth in the back with tree house for resale.

Gosh, how to tell I’ve lived in the woods awhile, Neighbors saw me sweltering while cutting and splitting maples and brought pivoting splitters to use. No joy splitting 4-6’ wide maples with wedge and mauls.Still took a week to move to woodpile.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Check with forester/arborist on health of trees around house, root balls, or learn the sound of good vs hollow (dead/rotted) spaces by whacking trees with axe head (hammer end).

Sugar maples can survive quite abit 60-70% and still come back.

No joy here, closed road and brought them down.

Miss the shade, syrup, don’t miss mulching leaves or branches dropping and taking out power lines.

At least I still have apple, pine, maples, birch and old growth in the back with tree house for resale.

Gosh, how to tell I’ve lived in the woods awhile, Neighbors saw me sweltering while cutting and splitting maples and brought pivoting splitters to use. No joy splitting 4-6’ wide maples with wedge and mauls.Still took a week to move to woodpile.

Froze

Trees are beautiful and the oaks around here keep things cool and shady.  We won't talk about autumn when the leaves fall and you have to shuffle through a daily 3" layer of leaves on the deck to keep from going down by slip-sliding on the acorns.  Not only do I have to 'rake the forest floors' Woman Wink, but shovel off the deck too.

I watched a reporter interview an arborist after the tree killed my neighbor and he said it was a healthy tree, but the ground was oversaturated from recent rains and it just blew over.

Falling branches are also something I can do without.  Heard many a big thump on my roof.  They regularly have crews that trim tree branches away from power lines, but that's not failsafe either.

Still, if I had a choice, would I take them all down?  Nah.  They are healthy and I like the privacy and buffer and as you can see, it really is a nice setting. 

A couple more pictures of the deck tree and another one on the other side.  (You can probably understand why I head downstairs during a storm.)

The deck tree dwarfs my little house.  The deck was built around it.The deck tree dwarfs my little house. The deck was built around it.

This tree sits about 4' away on the other side, but makes a nice setting, n'est-ce pas?.This tree sits about 4' away on the other side, but makes a nice setting, n'est-ce pas?.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

On subject of raking 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Had oaks, and felled by teenie acorns several times in the last several years.

Telephone company office took them down diseased. 8 foot across stumps. Only have 2 corners where walking becomes a shuffle remaining.

Two members of my town select persons suggested my maples, looked like they were flipping the bird, purely a co-incidence.

There is an easy way to lessen the thump of branches falling on roofs. It’s called a rope powered pole saw. Toss over limb and saw back and forth.

If you lived a tad closer I have a gas powered limb trimmer approx reach 10’ it’s on a pole, you could borrow.

I don’t do roofs at the moment, rentacenters have them. Or you can buy Poulan for around  $190 triple purpose you also can trim grass or brush sand. 

Trimmed some close limbs from a roof in 2006 at Camp, no desire to lose old growth pine standing around 60’, besides nesting bald eagles at top.😎

Froze

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP