Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to March 2020 Goodbye February, 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF MARCH 2020.

goodbye-february_001.jpgmarch_003.jpg 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Whack-a-doodle in question would be 😒 1 remaining cousin who swallowed T's line.

She failed to realize that T had no knowledge or just didn't give a mumble about gold star families or even understand what a gold star was.  All of remaining family members suggested T take a flying foxtrot after insulting Capt. H Khan family.

SMH  1193 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes not counting mind you - the rest of my relations were of a normal party or changed parties after one year of his nibs in office.

Regarding entrails afraid T has been classed to lower than a mawookapeja (spelling phoenetically) snails entrails.

That's been the standard familial response, except to that one cousin. Everyone has at least one person who ???????????

Time for a slog, need food, hungry.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@n566192l ...I cannot find any Lysol or Chlorox wipes or sprays. The last bid on Ebay for a container of 80 Lysol wipes was around $154.00.

OMG, PLEASE!!!! I hope you were joking about following any medical advice that POTUS gives. Some people are taking his word for truth which it is NOT! Lysol is not to be used internally!  The CDC has had to quash all this misinformation that he is spewing.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Everything tastes better with age in the land of alcoholic beverages. Smoother🤣 . Including even Apple Jack, unpasteurized pure Apple Juice.

Better than hard cider with a higher proof😎. Country style happiness in New England and Canada without any distilling by heat involved, just cold temperatures🤣.

Probably more than a few Hermits still in the woods of Maine, always will be. He merely got caught/found. 

17.6 Million acres more or less, with more moose, bear, wolves than humans.

There was a movie in the 90's perhaps about a cafe, The Spitfire Grill set in Gilead , Maine and another hermit who survived Vietnam.

Time to play outside it's warm today, Sunday-Monday we're getting a cold snap and 8" of you guessed it, snow coming.

@DaveMcK 

Coronavirus seems to be racing through most branches of military and VA as well. Courtesy of num T, have been reading stripes.com and other online military sites.

Another 4-700 positive, stationed outconus.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

GREETINGS, 

Just been  trying  to  clean  up  my  Uncle  Dan's  house.  He needs  to  be  placed  in  an assisted  living  facility.  He has paperwork  everywhere.  Unopened  mail with checks.  What a  mess.  Been  cleaning  up  the  house  for  2wks, still looks the  same.  The virus,  has me scared  about  moving  him. At least,  since  he's  home,  and never goes out. 

Honored Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Since Chinese officials disclosed the outbreak of a mysterious pneumonialike illness to international health officials on New Year’s Eve, at least 430,000 people have arrived in the United States on direct flights from China, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after President Trump imposed restrictions on such travel, according to an analysis of data collected in both countries.

The bulk of the passengers, who were of multiple nationalities, arrived in January, at airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Newark and Detroit. Thousands of them flew directly from Wuhan, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, as American public health officials were only beginning to assess the risks to the United States.

Cruise Ships have been a major source of bring the Virus to many Ports of Call here and in Europe! There are now two aircraft carriers that have had sailors infected at previous ports of call in Asia.

Flights continued this past week, the data show, with passengers traveling from Beijing to Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York, under rules that exempt Americans and some others from the clampdown that took effect on Feb. 2. In all, 279 flights from China have arrived in the United States since then, and screening procedures have been uneven, interviews show.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500,  when I read how you had fashioned a face mask out of coffee filters, I immediately began laughing out loud.  And then I thought, "How ingenuous!"  I also started to think what other items could be used to improvise a face mask.  And here's what I came up with: 

I'm not for sure, but I think this man is wearing either a kiddie pull-up or a pair of panties.

Then we have this guy who really got creative using a diaper.  But I don't know how much protection he will have with those cut-outs he made for his eyes and mouth.

But this kid hasn't got a clue. 

Maybe he thought somebody said "helmet" or "partial" face mask.  Just call him "diaper head." Either way, he is out of luck!

Honored Social Butterfly

As I write this, the CDC still has not officially recommended face coverings nor released any guidelines.  It is important to remember that these are not meant to protect from COVID-19, but to slow down transmission of droplets to another person, although social distancing rules do/will still apply.

That being said, I was looking at my ample supply of bandannas and buffs, and thought at least I can be color-coordinated.  I try not to spray when I talk and avoid speaking directly to another person, even at a 6' distance during these critical times, but every little bit helps and I don't mind playing Belle Starr for awhile.

We're doing our part.  Meanwhile, lay all your money on that hitching post 6' away.We're doing our part. Meanwhile, lay all your money on that hitching post 6' away.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey...just as I was about to reply,  it said, unable to perform the request,  so I'm on my phone. 

@LydiaN586309 ...That second photo looks like the guy has a huge cabbage leaf on his face!

@MsStretch ...The only bandana I have is the traditional red print, and I looked like I was about to rob a bank so I ditched that idea. Cat LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

Saturday morning that's a first.

@catwoman500 

Always turn on wifi connection in house to prevent ,"unable to perform requests on phones".

The most asked question in my neighborhood/town of late. Followed by do you have power?

TV? Land line? Or dial-up modem?

Masks still have 2 N95 / 8511 Cool Flows, left overs from when I spray foamed the attic. Won't expire until 5/2024. They came with the hazmat suits and bootie covers, which means I finally made it into the attic again.

Disappointing I removed the hatch and then forgot why I had gone up there. I might be going stircrazy😷.

Time to find zip ties, for shop vac filter. Ties free vs. rubber band and useless unneeded parts with s/h 39.95.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

We have sun for the second day in a row. Temps are chillier than normal.

@Frozenoem …no TP or any paper products back on our shelves.

Watched the 2018 movie Peter Rabbit on FX last night. Nice diversion from the real world. Pretty cute. James Corden was the voice of Peter.

@LydiaN586309 …my walk was going to be to the end of the driveway and down the street to find the trash cans which I though had blown out of sight…it’s very windy today. Got all gloved up and got down the driveway to see that some Good Samaritan had brought them back already. Cat Very Happy

Almost caught up on TV shows missed because they are on at the same time as others.

Was going to go to CVS but decided against it. Maybe tomorrow.

Trying to remain upbeat because so many others cannot. So, have some coffee, eat an apple or some other fruit, nibble on some chocolate, read a book, or take a bubble bath (COVID-19 dislikes suds!).

Above all, be good to yourself and stay safe!

Me, too!Me, too!

Honored Social Butterfly

Top of the Morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this last Monday of March, 2020. We have clear blue skies with a very low chance of rain and a high of 54 today. Another day inside and a chance to assess the Winters impact on the yard and gardens. Our lawn care people have raked most of the yard and are scheduled to mow for the first time this year in a week or so. 

We planted over a 150 new hulbs last Fall and will post a photo of their statue later today. Also will try to get a photo of our returning robins.

Hoping this morning finds you all well and please stay safe inside. 

Thank you nurses.jpg90968521_10159573644393989_7072358140485828608_n.jpgKindness is.jpg50695555_2435381686476471_6247648085200076800_n.jpgFB_IMG_1528305798679.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning!

My normal Monday morning “trash truck alarm” didn’t wake me this morning. Our borough reduced the trash pick up to one day a week during this COVID-19 thing.

Yesterday was my grocery day and it was mainly uneventful.

I was having a “cheat day” and wanted a bagel so badly, but they had packed up the bagels in packages of 4. No loose bagels. So I bought a day old pack of 4 pumpernickel ones. Guess I can freeze the other 3. I’d feed the birds if I thought it wouldn’t draw other undesirable critters to the yard!

There were hardly any people there yesterday. Some had gloves, some had gloves and masks, some had nothing. Plexiglas in front of the cashiers, X’s on the floors to show where to stand at the deli and checkout lines. No pickle barrel, but they had pickles in plastic containers for you. I scored a box of Kleenex! Only a few of those, and the other paper product shelves were empty as well as the cleaning products and wipes. Got the rest of what I needed. It wasn’t much, but at least I’m good for a week again.

Other than that since there was no one to really talk to other than the deli girls, my friend Maryanne who works there, and Jill the cashier, I was out in less than an hour! I saw my neighbor’s car, but not him. My other friend had texted me that her daughter, a nurse, didn’t want her going to the Acme on Sundays. She has to go during the “senior hours” during the week. Gee… I’m an adult; no kid is going to tell me what to do. Why kill myself getting to the store at 6 AM just to get there and find all these other old people complaining about not being able to get a roll of TP? I’ll stick to my routine until they tell me I’ll be arrested for doing it. It was fine yesterday morning. Most people were in a good mood. YOU HAVE TO BE!!!!!

Wipes were also available to wipe the carts.

I like the new guidelines for bringing groceries into the house. Heard them Saturday night and Sunday AM: You don’t take your reusable bags like @MsStretch  said, so you bring the plastic bags in and put them in the sink. Unpack them and throw the bags away, wash the sink and your hands. Easy peasy.

Oh, interesting….the Acme employees that I thanked for working through this mess were soooo genuinely appreciative. It was like no one has been thanking them! That’s just not acceptable! If it weren’t for them, where would we be?

Stay well. Drink coffee!

human spirit.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Monday It snowed again 8" boredom will disappear for awhile.

Abbott labs in ME will be making a 15-minute Covid-19 test kit, starting in a week. And GM & Ventec will be making ventilators within the month, contrary to T's hissy fits. Had to mention that, before I forgot. 

The elusive TP roll has reappeared at local convenience stores, can't say anything about big stores haven't been to Wally World/Shaw's/Hannafords's  in a month.Nor do I think I will be for abit.

Guess it's time to play in the snow! When's Spring coming again? The lawn and driveway have disappeared again, under a thick and heavy coating of white.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Listened to my governor today, and all of Virginia is under mandatory (as opposed to strongly recommended) stay-at-home orders effective immediately.  Almost half of the state's cases are under 50, so this just ain't for the "elderly" (not my word, @Frozenoem 😉) anymore.

Pulling the plug early on my bushwhacking season.  Even though we never run into another person and steer clear of popular trails (steer clear of trails... period), I can't really justify it 'essential traffic' to get there.  Look out, furkids, we have a lot of walkabout 'adventures' ahead of us!   And as more and more local roads close access and the AT Conservancy telling thru-hikers to postpone and/or get off the trail and national parks closing across the country, I expect SNP and state parks to issue their own mandates soon to comply with VA orders.

Now back to my to-do list.  Hah!  It's a pleasant sunny day out there.  I'll wait 'til it rains. 😁

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

For the next couple of days you're allowed to call me elderly, I may growl but, it's allowed.

States under similar restrictions here, and to be absolutely honest I really don't have desire to do more than sit in front of stove.

Baxter will be shut to through hikers going South bound for foreseeable future, and Acadia is closed for moment.

Want lobsters/bugs go to a parking lot if allowed to cross border, from other states - piers and markets are closed, prices bottomed out on lobstuhs.

Three weeks of quarantine and snowfall we're all in the warmth of home. Awaiting sunshine please! And warmth.

Nephew in law got another gig in CA and can't/won't  go - think all are believing shelter-in-place warnings now! Including fearless leader.

Time to play in the woodshed, gonna get nippy again.  Then with luck gonna clean house, meds may allow me to clean carpet for first time in a really long time.

Bears are out and hungry, rather not deal with them this early. Snowshoes did briefly call to me, it didn't last the desire to bear paw in yard.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

For the next couple of days you're allowed to call me elderly, I may growl but, it's allowed.

Don't forget if I'm calling you "elderly", I'm calling myself "elderly", but if it entitles us to senior privileges, I'll take it.  I think we've earned it. 😄

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

Hip, hip, hoo-ray!  This is my first day off from work.  I have been furloughed for one week starting today and then after that I will have to return to my regular schedule.  But I am glad for this respite as the stress and overload were tag-teaming me to the point of exhaustion.  

Anyway, I hope and pray everybody on Our Front Porch is doing well, staying home, and being safe.  Remember, even though we have to practice social distancing for a while...

we're all in this together.

Lyds

Periodic Contributor

Kinda tired of ordering list of groceries to be delivered and they arrive 2 days later, all 1 bag, with 1 gal of milk and 2 loaves of bread out of 4 maybe 5 expected bags.  Thank you Market Basket, H.E.B. and especially Walmart, for letting people hoard.  Oh and don't forget the media for scaring us to death, so we can race right out and buy everything on the shelf whether we need it or not and be exposed so we can share the virus.

Honored Social Butterfly

Slowly, but surely, stores and suppliers will catch up with the current supply and demand.  No doubt they were blindsided.  I remember about a month ago I was in Walmart getting odds & ends, and as I passed the TP aisle, I actually laughed to myself at the empty shelves.  Little did I know or expect what was to come.  Fortunately, I didn't need TP then and I am still good on that front. 🧻👍 *knocking on wood*

@yooperyaya, I thought that most stores had put restrictions on quantity in place by now.  Maybe too late for some items, but again, I believe they were blindsided by the great panic hoard.  It can be very frustrating.

Meanwhile, I keep thinking good time to catch up on my backlist, but it is amazing how many distractions I find to let me procrastinate again. 😁  Taxes being one, but I can only put that off for so long.  Even though we have until July 15, my state taxes are still due 5/1 and I have to do fed to do those.

Hang in there, everyone.  Hard to be patient at times, but be safe and prudent.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

I've enjoyed hearing about everyone's pre-apocalyptic experiences as we hunt and forage for food and other goods.  The hoarding is so ridiculous and selfish.  But we are now in week three or four of the pandemic and it is still a problem.  In fact, I haven't been able to find a can of Lysol spray for the past three weeks.  So the other dayI decided to try Amazon.  They were out of stock.  So at a lark, I turned to eBay and that's were things got crazy.  You see I landed on a one day auction that had started at .99 cents and rose to and sold at $54.00!   $54.00 for a 16 oz. can of Lemon Scented Lysol Spray with a shipping cost of $8.25.  So in the end some poor, desperate person paid $62.25 for one singular can of Lysol spray that under normal circumstances would sell for less than $5.00 at most any store.  Outrageous!!!

@LydiaN586309  My gosh that is horrid and ridiculous about the Lysol.    I am using peroxide in a spray bottle for most chores.  Of course  there is no peroxide available for purchase either.  They have stopped showing the virus count on the TV screen and in a way I am glad.  Some of the announcements and that counting made me feel like I was an actor in a surreal apocalypse movie.   Still not able to get paper products in my neck of the woods.  The shelves are low on some products but we are Ok with what we have.  Our well went out and we had no water for 1 day, had to get from neighbor, it is fixed now, all is well.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone on the Front Porch on this Thursday on the 20th of March! We have been doing our share of social distancing lately. We have gone to the drug store a couple of times and taken advantage of the insurance company allowing us to get a 90 day supply of our medications early.  We have been to the grocery store a couple of times and cleaned out our freezer. This has resulted in a couple of interesting evening meals like brats and steamed vegetables in a bag in the microwave. 

We are looking at days in the mid 40's with off and on shower's over the next few days. 

I'm seeing an increase in people following the posts here on the Front Porch. I am feeling good about our offering some ways for people to enjoy coming to the Front Porch where we have good distancing. Have a restful evening and enjoy your morning coffee here with us. 

90516174_10220385281438838_3047695169605337088_n.jpg90846182_10217026851007008_1098697924746936320_n.jpg89874803_3094933620551207_8072061690444775424_n.jpg89350308_10158416747871929_6564859818333437952_n.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps!

Well…an interesting visit to my bank and stores today. Armed in my disposable gloves, I set out. I was the only customer in the bank. They closed our drive through years ago, and the ATM, not that I ever use it, is in the lobby, so they kind of have to keep this branch open. Floor was marked with places to stand, but no Plexiglas for the tellers!

Got finished with that and went to Fresh Market. Handicapped spot was available. An employee in a long white lab coat like thing was standing inside the doors disinfecting carts and pointed to the ones that were ready. Very few people were in the store. I got almost everything that was on my list. Got to the checkout, mentioned my FM reusable bags I brought in and the girl told me they were not allowed to bag, so I proceeded to bag my stuff like I do at the Acme. Next stop was Starbucks. Long line at the drive through which of course I expected since the store part is closed. Next and final stop was Giant. Cars were sparse in the lot and I got my usual Handicapped spot. Signs and announcements about keeping distance abounded. Got what I wanted…of course paper and cleaning products weren’t even on my list and those shelves were empty. In one aisle, this older woman asked if I could help her. OMG! I felt so bad! I went a little closer and she said she had her radio on her head and the battery had fallen down the back of her shirt. I apologized immensely, but told her I couldn’t help her. She said. “I’m not contagious or anything.” I just couldn’t make myself help her. Eventually after taking off her jacket, the battery pack fell out on the floor. Now I feel so guilty, but I don’t know who this woman was. In normal times, I wouldn’t hesitate to help. So this is what we have come to. Geeze! I get to the checkout and this store did have a Plexiglas shield for the cashier, and he packed my bags like normal. Thanked him profusely for working, and then thanked an older woman who was working outside. She told me she was glad to have the job since her other job was in a school and of course she can’t work if the schools are closed.

So that was my shopping experience for today. Glad it is only an “every-other-Friday” jaunt. Next will be my normal Acme trip on Sunday. Wonder when there will ever be any paper products on the shelves.

Hoping you all remain well.

Drink up!Drink up!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, I had read that most stores are requesting you don't bring your reusable bags to the store, and those that still allow it say you must bag your own groceries.  When you think about it, it makes sense.  I always use reusable, but when and if I venture out to public places, I don't wish to possibly infect surfaces with my bags.  They are already working hard to keep everything disinfected.  So hanging my bags up temporarily and using plastic (which I read are safer than paper) and will just take to plastic bag/wrap recycling bins.

What was some woman doing in the store with a radio on her head?!   Of course, it's hard to deny help, but these are extraordinary times and this woman should have left all unnecessary foreign objects outside in her vehicle.

Noticed I was low on cat litter yesterday, so dang it, can't let that run out.  Tried PetSmart's new curbside delivery.  While I was ordering litter online, figured I might as well throw some cat food in.  Some was unavailable (sold out) for shipping and my store had very limited supplies.  Couldn't get the shreds the kids like, but found suitable substitutes.  (Darn spoiled TNRs.)  I really am liking this bringing it out to my truck.  No pushing a cart around the aisles looking for what I need.  No standing in line at the cashier. 👍

Once people fill up their sheds and garages with TP & PT and the suppliers & stores have a chance to catch up with the sudden increased demand, some of us less inclined to panic hoard might stand a chance to resupply as needed.

🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻🧻

Still haven't had to venture physically into any store.  Dreading when I do.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...I hadn't heard that about the reusable bags. Thanks for the info. It does make sense!

GREETINGS  All,

I think  the toilet paper  rush is over.  Or the stores  are able  to restock the shelves.  I love  the  person's post about the tattoo  and toilet  paper  and  Lysol.  Funny  but  true. At least  stores are getting  the supplies  to the shelves.  I only  hope  we will  be  able  to  get all the Testing  kits, gloves,  masks,  Ventilaters needed, place beds. Nice  to  see , people  are  working  together.  This is a welcome  change.  Stay safe.  Remember  each  state  has programs  to  help  you  with  paying  your  bills.  Like,  gas, electricity  water, Senior Freeze  or  taxes. Please  take  advantage  of  your  states programs. Paad  has  lifetime  benefits  helps with  gas and electricity.  Plus,  your  car's  registration.  Stay safe  calm.

Traffic, after slowing for  several weeks has been booming near my house.   I am hearing cars at all hours.  Of course the weather is warm but where are all these people going?  The numbers in my county have gone up 100% in the last 24 hours.  Still low but worrisome.  People at the stores are very careful and keep their distance except for the cashier.  No plexi glass yet.  I do not have to venture inside a store until the middle of next week.   I am trying produce delivery from Misfits Market.  Anyone have experience with them?

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all City vs country living seems to be different.

Will probably be another week or two before the need to shop arises.  Maybe after the next snow storm, tomorrow to Monday.

Delivery to a vehicle seems like a great idea, googled it and nearest that does it, is 2-hours distant in Farmington.

My local super store it just won't happen, not enough people. I was actually shocked when the Brew Pub at ski resort delivered a meal yesterday.

Not allowed to disappear for 3 days I guess🤣. Just decided to catch up on my sleep, and figure out how/when the barber might reopen slightly shaggy And furry for the moment. 

Time to knead some bread, today is baking day and then maybe a cake, still battling to keep weight on.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP