Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to March 2020 Goodbye February, 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF MARCH 2020.

goodbye-february_001.jpgmarch_003.jpg 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 wrote:

@MsStretch ...I hadn't heard that about the reusable bags. Thanks for the info. It does make sense!

I hadn't either until recently.  In fact, earlier when the public was just going into panic mode, one email I got from a store (Giant, I think) asked you bring your own bags because, although they had an ample supply of bags, they could not guarantee how long they would last during the hoarding.

Extraordinary times, indeed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon boredom is to be replaced with snowblowing today👍.

We picked up perhaps 10", and it's time to blow into neighbors yards.🤣

Then perhaps up to the store for chocolate, for now expresso is calling.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, Peepers!

Let me just start off by saying, if you are reading this, you are doing gooooood!!!!!  Know what I mean? I, for one, am just glad to be and to be alive and awake and present right now!  Sure we all have a variety of issues and stuff we may have to do or deal with, but "we's here" and that matters much!

Special good morning to @n566192l!!!   Long time no hear.  I asked about you in one of my posts a while back.  So I'm glad you are okay and back on Our Front Porch.

@Frozenoem, Im not sure about something.  You said you had 10 inches of snow and snowblowing to do yesterday.  Were you happy about the snow and the blowing of it or were you just bored and glad to have somethin'to do?  We had snow a coupla days ago and the next day it was in the low 50s and totally melted all of the snow and I was happy to see it go. BTW, loved your playlist.

Thanks @catwoman500  for understanding my vent a few days ago and thanks for the congrats for the ACE badge.

Right now today, the weather is beautiful here.  The sun is full up and our skies are deceptively blue and clear.  All seems right with the world....except there are more cars in my neighbors' driveways this morning as we are on a "stay at home" mandate here in Michigan.  Seems like my neighbors are following the order because under normal circumstances at this time of the day, my entire subdivision would be desolate of cars, trucks, and people.  So all is quiet on the midwestern front.  

I am still working everyday and striving to stay healthy while on the job and out in the community.  Eating good and enjoying cooking more so than ever.  Need a little more shuteye.  But I'm dealing with it.  Just praying everybody here is taking care to be safe and staying connected with loved ones and friends as best as possible.  Hopefully, if we all do the right things, just maybe we'll get through this time alive and well....together.

Anyway, I guess I need to get motivated for the day and I.......

"Ouch!"

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Excessive boredom and a funky driveway requires snowblowing, besides we're still having 20* nights.

Discovered 10 years back, need to get down to dirt, and need to remove snow in some areas to allow melting to take place without ice buildup.

Add in boredom prevention and exercise requirement for happiness. New neighbors down back have a total of 7 kids and 2 parents, their half of driveway is mud, mine is dry🤣

My snow pack is down to 5' where unblown, we didn't get much snow but, we did get snow. Today it's 40* and sunny.

@n566192l 

Glad to see you're still hanging in there, and recovering. Me thinks we're all feeling funky after this winter and Coronavirus shelter in place quarantine.

Nothing quite like keeping stir crazy removed from daily life.

Time to play in garage for the day, and cut some kindling, left over lumber.

My barber has been relegated to non-essential business so, he left for PEI before border was shut down and I'm feeling like a hippy, guess it's time to pump out Hair on the Sansui .

@catwoman500 

I got my chocolate and plan to get more, everything is half off my local storekeeper has decided to retire. Leaving only one convenient left to go, still within staggering range.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l, good to hear from you.  Stay in place!  The boxes will wait.  Please, please, do exactly what your doctor and state recommend. 

@LaDolceVita, I don't know how you do it.  I can't even stand going shopping on a normal day.  Interesting about PetSmart.  I had heard they closed the salons, but did not hear about mandatory curbside pick-up.  Went to their website, and they just announced it was now available.  I'm all in for ordering and having them bring it out!

When and if I have to go out to restock anything, I will definitely do the senior hours.  In and out and right after restocking overnight.  That or curbside pick-up is looking really good.

In VA, we "more mature" people and the vulnerable are under highly recommended stay-in-place orders, except for grocery shopping, medical, and exercise outside.  Took advantage of the latter again yesterday.  Yup, in Shenandoah NP.   BUT nowhere near any popular trail or ANY trail at all.  Accessed outside boundary by hiking down an old closed logging road and on to two old homesites and a cemetery.  Never saw another soul.

This old house was rather large and had two chimneys, partially collapsed.  It was so overgrown that you can't see the chimney on the other side.This old house was rather large and had two chimneys, partially collapsed. It was so overgrown that you can't see the chimney on the other side.

This cemetery had 8-10 burials (possibly more), many marked with smaller fieldstones and one flat marker.  It was 125' behind the double-chimney home.This cemetery had 8-10 burials (possibly more), many marked with smaller fieldstones and one flat marker. It was 125' behind the double-chimney home.

The second homesite.  To see a still-standing chimney almost 100 years later is a testament to the skill and resourcefulness of the people who lived in the mountains and never ceases to amaze me.The second homesite. To see a still-standing chimney almost 100 years later is a testament to the skill and resourcefulness of the people who lived in the mountains and never ceases to amaze me.

Just got update that my county will extend public closure of certain facilities until May 1.  I've already had a dental and YAG appointment at my ophthalmologist to clear a cloudy cataract rescheduled tentatively for next month.  But I've got one good eye and my health, so I can do this.  We ALL can do this.  Be safe.  Be careful.  Hang in there.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

Today is our beautiful day with sun and 50 degrees. Tomorrow back to rain.

Yesterday, my lawn guy must have come back and reattached my gate although I didn’t see or hear him. This morning as I was about to go out and bring back the trash cans, they weren’t there, so some Good Samaritan must have brought them back for me. Pretty sure they didn’t grow feet and run away. Later I’ll go around the side of the house and make sure they are there.

@MsStretch ...Love those photos! Such a wealth of history you are seeing.

@Frozenoem …I am already disappointed that I won’t be able to get my favorite dark chocolate strawberry filled eggs from our town’s homemade candy store. I was pretty sure they would be closed, but the website says they are open, so I called and there was no answer. They have an online ordering site, but the strawberry eggs aren’t on it and besides that I, live less than a mile from the store and it would be dumb to mail order. So, I’m kind of glad they are not shown on the website. So, not looking forward to being alone on Easter plus not having my tradition to ease my funk. So I will instead look forward to another tradition of dyeing some hard boiled eggs on Good Friday. I swear the only time I hard boil eggs anymore is at Easter! Cat LOL

Hope everyone is still doing well!

Let's go!Let's go!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

Hi, @n566192l …good to see you back, but you need to stay in and make sure you are 100%.

Another cold, damp, and gloomy day. Yesterday was nice and tomorrow will be nice, so we have an alternate weather pattern going on here. Still hard to believe we had no measurable snow here the whole winter.

We are all supposed to stay home in PA and other states you may know. We can go out for groceries and medicines. Most people are complying, but there are those who think they are invincible and are risking other people’s health by constantly going out every day (my neighbor with 2 kids). Some people still have to work, and I certainly understand that; thank goodness for the essential workers, but she doesn’t have to go to work since the schools and school cafeterias are closed. My vent for the day.

My lawn guys were here yesterday to do the first clean-up before mowing season begins. He then emailed me that he could fix the gate that blew off and can get a new window well cover that also blew off. I emailed my thanks and off the top of my head asked if he could possibly get another cover for another basement window, too, and then, not thinking he could really do this, I threw out the possibility of him rescreening the one porch screen panel that blew out. He said he’d take a look next time he came and he could probably do that, too! Made my day!

@Frozenoem .. hope you got your snow blown. Yes for chocolate!

@LaDolceVita ...5 stores? I would have quit after one and the pet one. You are brave!

@LydiaN586309 …Just be careful going out to work, and in your work place.

That goes for everybody out there…Be careful, be safe, stay well.

Blessings to all!Blessings to all!

Recognized Social Butterfly

GREETINGS  ALL,

I FINALLY  GOT  THE AARP GODS TO LET ME POST SOMETHING. I  hope everyone  is  doing  well  and  staying  stafe.

Kudos
Views

I have all my shopping done, took me 3 mornings and 5 stores.  Only 4 grocery stores, as one of the stores I went went to was Petsmart.   Received Chewy email that my shipment of dog food was not on its way I had to do something quick.  Pestmart is well stocked but they do not want you in the store they have a number to call for curbside pick up.  The grocery stores are well stocked with most food items.  Some do not have bread or legumes and none have TP,  except teeny rolls.   Hopefully I will still be in good health after the next 5 days passes.  Planning to stay put now for anotherweek or so.

Weather is beautiful here and it is easy to forget the virus for a short while.  I am waiting for that bullet train which is supposed to come from  New York to hit us.   Hope that it does not.

GREETINGS  All,

I wish I  could  send  boxes out to you. I  have  plenty  of  supplies,  but  today  I  have a  cough and a slight  fever.  Called my Dr early  this morning.  Since,  I have  been  staying  inside,  do to having  Bronchitis.  I did finish my  Antibiotics  about  2 days  ago.  So, as soon  as I  am able  to  go out, I will  start  sending  boxes  again.  Just  been  a long  time  since  I  have  had  energy.  

Love all the  posts and pictures.  Everyone  take care  of  your  self.  Looking  forward  to  reading  all the  great posts and seeing  all those WONDERFUL  pictures.  Nancy 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Our Front Porchers!

Well, early this morning I arose.  I made a cup of green tea (for medicinal purposes), a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal with raisins and walnuts in it, followed by a cup of coffee with heavy creamer and ample Truvia. Yum!

Once fully awake, I texted a couple of friends (other early risers) just to check in.  We all have had a habit of checking to make sure all's good long before the coronavirus crisis hit and even more so now.  I have one older friend who generally is up and stirring between 4 or 5am every day.  Of course, it wasn't until after 8 o'clock when I called her.  But when I did call, the call went immediately to voicemail which meant her phone was turned off and probably on the charger.  So I left her a message and went about getting myself ready for the day.  Then around 9 o'clock my phone rang.  It was my friend.  I quickly answered the phone, but there was something unusal in her voice.  She sounded "funny"--apprehensive or as if something was not quite right. When I asked her what was wrong or up, she told me with a hint of defiance, that she was in church.  I guess she thought she'd challenge me upfront before I could say anything to her about the need to stay safe and social distancing.  She had told me just yesterday that her church was going to be closed indefinitely because of the virus.  But apparently she found another church, a small church within walking distance of her home, and she decided to go.  I could say nothing other than to be safe and let her get back to the Sunday service. 

But right now, I am both saddened and very angry by her decision to go to another church--not just because she is defying what is recommended for the masses, especially the elderly, to do to stay safe and healthy, but because she just found out this week that one of her own church's ministers was diagnosed with the coronoavirus.  So even though she may be asymptomatic now, she herself could have had an exposure and be infected and thus exposing others to infection.  But she selfishly has chosen to go out without regard for other people and the danger she could potentially present.

Sorry for the vent here.  Y'all know I generally like to keep it upbeat here.  But this just hit and it hit me just not right.

Anyway, my stay-at-home weekend is coming to an end today.  Then it will be back to work for me as I'm one of the "essential workers" talked about in the media.  I/we are doing our best to stay safe and avoid exposure and infection.  But it's scary out there let me tell you. 

So after another big cup of comfort (coffee), I'm soon going to getty-up from here.  Prayers going up and fingers crossed.  Here goes nothin'!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309, OK to vent.  Your friend was reckless, but perhaps church gives her some kind of comfort.  Still, I agree, it was irresponsible.

I normally hike in Shenandoah NP, but waaay off any trail and far into the backcountry.  Nice escape and perfect for physical/social distancing.  Never run into another person.  Go figure.  My hiking partner and I generally split up to explore an area, keeping in touch by whistle (cell phones, sometimes walkie-talkies do not work well in wildernesses), so we are never within 10' of each other, even on the trek in or out.

National parks have waived all entrance fees and people are urged to get outside as alternatives to frequenting crowded places.  However, it seems to be backfiring in some cases.  I was just looking at pictures posted by SNP where access roads and parking lots to some of the popular trails were so packed with vehicles and people that the local sheriff's department shut down access roads to all but residents.  Looking at the photos reminded me of the invasion of the leaf-peeps in autumn.  It was crazy and just stupid.  First of all, even if there were no pandemic, I never could understand what is enjoyable about elbowing for space on a trail.

While I still plan on hiking (bushwhacking season will be short this year because of the warm winter), it has even crossed my mind if maybe I'm not being irresponsible.  We traverse some strenuous rough terrain miles off the beaten trail and if something were to happen (God forbid), it could require stretching sparse NPS resources for assistance.

Be safe.  Don't be foolhardy.  We CAN survive this.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Everyone,

@LydiaN586309 ...vent away. We need to be able to vent. Keeping it inside might make us explode!

It’s a cold, rainy day here. Feels like temp was 30 this AM. We will be having rain every other day this week, so tomorrow looks good.

I had to go to the post office this morning and the town was like a ghost town. The only place on the whole main drag that there was more than one car parked together was outside the post office. Not sure where the car owners were, but there was only one guy head of me inside the PO. A sign on the door told people to stay 6 feet from the customer in front of them.

My Acme visit yesterday AM was better than I expected. Not too crowded and they made announcements that people were supposed to leave 2 cart lengths between customers at the checkout. Absolutely no paper products, but I was able to get a box of the store brand tissues since I had a coupon for a free box. I got the fresh veggies and fruit that I needed, my bagel thins, deli stuff, salmon, and everything that I wanted to find. I didn’t expect to find wipes or sanitizer, and there wasn’t even any liquid hand soap, but that was only on my list “just in case” they had some. I have plenty here.

My neighbor is one of the people that I meet at the Acme every Sunday and he came in without gloves. He said his wife had a whole box at home, but they didn’t fit him. One of the sweet employees that knows us well went and got him a pair of large ones.  Then he found a box later in the health goods aisle.  

So, I was pretty pleased that it wasn’t overcrowded and that I am good until next Sunday or longer if need be.

Then after my Ebay listings yesterday I cooked up a “vat” of veggies, so I’m set for a few days. I bought so many veggies I may have to cook more tomorrow and freeze some. Huge head of cauliflower was only $2.99! If I only got one thing at the Acme yesterday, I wanted it to be cauliflower! HA!

Hang in there, all!

Cheers!Cheers!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, I'm borderline bored, looking forward to snow for relief.🤣 5-10" and another cold snap.

Brought in wood, cleaned ash and about to make baguettes.Something to do for 5 hours, before baking.

Hopefully tonight I'll find a Windows7 disk to upgrade an older trade-in to 10 and gift it to neighbor of 80+.

My playlist of the day, after podcasts.

11B0C7C2-FA5C-46A9-AFE6-B1DDE28A94BA.jpeg

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Love your playlist. We need a smile! Cat Wink

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 ...Just noticed your ACE. Congrats! Cat Wink

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Can't say much Re: your friend, betcha thought that could never happen.🤣

Everyone up here is pretty much just hunkering in place and avoiding people in general, regardless of the situation.

We've just had our first couple of cases in our county. 5.6 to 7.8 days incubation period, just not worth it to play nearer my god to thee. Local churches are just opting for streaming services.

25* and sunny, expecting snow tomorrow and need to make kindling for fires. It's just easier.

Firewood is now in garage, defrosting. 

Time to play🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this Saturday on March 2020. We did not get to stay here but we had a nice visit to see how the other half lived while visiting the Grand Canyon!

1920px-El_Tovar_Grand_Canyon_Village_09_2017_5284.jpg

South Rim | El Tovar Hotel
The premier lodging facility at the Grand Canyon, El Tovar Hotel has hosted such luminaries as Theodore Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, my  wife Mary McKeith and author Zane Grey.

Opened in 1905, El Tovar Hotel is the oldest and most elegant hotel in the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. Designed by architect Charles Whittlesey, it became an instant attraction for visitors from all over the world, including President Theodore Roosevelt, Albert Einstein and western author Zane Grey. It sits just feet from the rim of the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon and has 78 rooms that feature satellite TV, Keurig coffee machines, air conditioning and full baths, along with concierge and bell service.

Today, its rich history is complemented by its sweeping environmentally friendly features, which often do not walk hand in hand with historic buildings. From in-room composting to low-flow showers, El Tovar and its eco-minded staff are helping make a difference in protecting the breathtaking landscape in which it is surrounded. It's part of a much larger sustainability effort spearheaded by Xanterra, which manages properties that fall under Grand Canyon National Park Lodges.

Link: https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/where-to-stay-camp-eat/el-tovar-hotel

Mary McKeith on hotel pathMary McKeith on hotel path

El_Tovar_Hotel_in_early_1900s.jpg1920px-El_Tovar_National_Historic_Landmark_Plaque.jpgEl_Tovar_Back.JPG1920px-El_Tovar_Sign.jpg

Coffee with a Conscience at El Tovar

A perk of staying at the legendary El Tovar Hotel is the Keurig coffee machine in your room. But up until 2.5 years ago, the pesky personalized pods created waste that neither guests nor Xanterra staff felt good about. In 2014, Xanterra partnered with Keurig and joined its Grounds to Grow On program, which enables Xanterra to collect the used K-Cup pods, box them up and send them to Keurig's disposal partner. The partner separates the pods from the grounds, composting the grounds for future agricultural use and giving the pods to Covant Energy to be converted to energy. In 2016, 183,000 K-Cup pods were collected at the South Rim, totaling a whopping 7,300 pounds that was diverted from a landfill and converted to compost and energy.

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon 31* going to be nippy tonight. Expecting to shut off computers soon  my eyes have had sufficient fun for awhile.

Seeing sine waves everywhere I look, time to pull out welders goggles, me thinks.

@LaDolceVita 

Stuff happens, at least my sanity is still hanging in there, time for a stagger in sunlight.

Froze

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, all,

This morning it was 43 and felt like 36. At least it’s sunny! Far cry from yesterday…

Yesterday was a wonderful first day of spring. It got to 79 by 5 PM and I uncovered one of the chairs on the porch, took my glass of wine and a book out there for a while. It was so enjoyable! Kind of took me away from the state of craziness we are all in.

@DaveMcK ...and as our crazy weather “non-pattern” continues, they say we may see a few flakes on Monday!

@Frozenoem ...only had time for one Irish coffee on St. Patrick’s Day so may have another tomorrow. Chardonnay is my first choice for wine, then a Pinot Grigio, then a Cabernet.

As for doc appointments, one of my friend’s 3 back surgeries have been cancelled; she is in such pain, but they are considered “elective.” Another friend who just came back from Costa Rica was surprised her acupuncture appointment was cancelled. Really? Then the nurse told her there would be tons of paperwork to fill out because of just coming back from another country. She and her husband are the ones who had a cruise to the UK planned for next month. Today they got that trip re-booked to a riverboat cruise in Russia for June of 2021! Must be nice!

PS…they are the ones who live in the woods and solved their bear problem by taking down their bird feeder.

@LydiaN586309 ...Oh, that bank adventure would have made me nuts, but you did a good thing! After that, sleep was definitely called for.

@LaDolceVita Glad you could get some food supplies. I’ll try tomorrow at my Acme. That 79 temp yesterday was so exciting, but March returned today.

@MsStretch ...butt slides or butt bumps may be the only way I get to the basement in the near future unless my stepson can renovate my bathroom to accommodate the washer and dryer. Those steps are so hard to navigate. Outside butt slides have been over for me for quite a few years, and don’t want to accidentally have any now!

TAKE CARE EVERYONE!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Friday morning in March, 2020. We had some snow flurries over night and a high temperature projected to be in the mid 30's today.

No climbing in hilly areas with these knees. We did a lot of walking in Arizona but kept it to flat areas.  Definitely had no interest to do the 5 hour climb down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up.

We are getting outside for fresh air in the neighborhood and have gone to the drugstore and grocery store a couple of times. Other than that we have watched to much TV and putting to many hours on my laptop. 

Hoping everyone has a restful weekend although at our ages it is more like we have 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday each week. Again we would like to salute those that are working to keep us safe. Wisconsin has called up some National Guard members to aid where they can. 

300 Wisconsin National Guard troops prepare to be deployed for help with COVID-19 outbreak

Brig. Gen. Joane Mathews speaks March 12 to troops mobilizing for state active dutyBrig. Gen. Joane Mathews, Wisconsin’s deputy adjutant general for Army, speaks March 12 to troops mobilizing for state active duty in response to the Wisconsin Department of Health Service’s request for assistance. The troops transported 29 Wisconsin citizens, who had been aboard a cruise ship with confirmed cases of COVID-19, to their homes for self-quarantine after they arrived in Wisconsin March 15. Wisconsin National Guard photo by Staff Sgt. Alex Baum

MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin’s National Guard has called on forces to prepare for any requests in regard to the COVID-19 outbreak.

According to the news release, about 300 troops have been mobilized for active duty.

“We are working hand-in-hand with our partners across state government to ensure our forces are postured and ready to respond to anticipated requests for assistance,” said Col. Eric Leckel, the director of domestic operations for the Wisconsin National Guard. “Serving our state during times of emergency is one of our core missions in the National Guard, and we stand ready to assist the state with whatever it may ask of us.”

90019036_2242609132701518_3621421200267280384_n.jpgimage-resizer (2).jpeg90309196_2686088441602698_8302647884587728896_n.jpg

90062928_2498267543759375_1223497064344715264_n.jpg89740892_2520372731402524_7888184605675618304_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning-ish?

Just got my second cancellation of doctors appt, first was Covid-19 shutdown for 2 months.

Second was for water damage, from burst pipes. Insert expletives feel like This is getting way too long.

Time to clean stove, get firewood, have snow coming again, and maybe clean/oil my fishing rod.Only 4' of ice left on my lakes.

Spring is officially in the air, as black bears are awakening from their slumbers. Friend saw one on her back porch last night, different from the bobcat she usually gets. 🤣

Enjoy all

Froze

@LydiaN586309   Good for you, I knew the bank lobbies were closed but did not realize there there was a run for cash.   @Frozenoem   Bad news on the doctor front.

Spring has sprung in a big way here  and I actually forgot about covid after doing outdoor cleaning up for a few hours.  Hoping the weather cools down a bit, we had 80 yesterday.  Had to pull out summer duds.  Have been afraid to visit the grocery store, will try mid week.  All is well otherwise.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Peepers!

Well, I ventured out today.  I really wasn't planning on going anywhere. But when a senior friend whom I've known almost forty years called, I felt compelled.  She now lives in Florida and has severe respiratory problems (asthma and COPD).  She found herself with no way to get out, no cash, and a need to order food through her local delivery service.  So I got myself together and ventured out.

I drove to my bank to withdraw some cash.  First thing I noticed was the parking lot was empty and the lobby was closed to the public.  So I couldn't go inside.  Second thing I noticed that there were long lines in the drive-up teller lanes, but the ATM lane had nobody at all.  So, of course, I zipped up to the ATM machine, put on my disposable latex gloves, and after checking my balance, I proceeded to make a withdrawal--only to find the ATM machine empty of cash!  So I pulled out, went around the building, pulled back into the lot, and pulled in behind a now very long line of cars in the teller lane.  Needless to say, it was a long wait and we barely inched forward.  In fact, at one point, I found myself nodding (to sleep) and the bobbing of my head was what woke me up.  Thank goodness my foot was firmly pressed to the brake. 

After a really l-o-n-g wait, I finally pulled up to the teller (cannister tube) and was greeted by a very apologetic and cheerful voice.  And in just a few minutes, my transaction was complete.  But then I had to drive to her credit union which I also found the lobby closed to the public and another set of long lines in the teller lanes.  But it went relatively quickly and the deposit was made.  

As I drove home, I placed a quick call to my friend to let her know that the deal had been done and she thanked me over and over and in just a few minutes later, she texted to let me know her food order would soon be delivered.  All good! 

So once I got home, I crawled myself back in bed and immediately went back to sleep.

So glad it's Friday!!!

Be safe all! 

Lyds

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

spring-11.jpg

Spring is coming, spring is coming
birdies build your nest.
weave together straw and feather
doing each your best.
spring is coming, spring is coming
flowers are waking, too.
daisies, lilies, and daffodils
now are coming through.
spring is coming, spring is coming
all around is fair.
shimmer, glimmer on the meadow,
joy is everywhere.”

spring-1210194_1280.jpgSpring-Equinox (1).jpgflowers-cover-photo-2.jpg

gettyimages-622428362-2048x2048.jpg

a-romantic-candle-lit-breakfast-on-a-silver-tray.jpgjournal-and-coffee-at-table.jpg

Equinox means “equal night” when the sun is positioned above the equator & day and night are about equal in length all over the world. This is the start of the Astrological year. Many ancient cultures built structures to point directly toward the rising Sun on this day every year. The celebration of the Vernal Equinox is about new life & hope, the planting of seeds & the activation of the fertility of plants. 

If you're ready for good news, we've got some for you: Spring is coming earlier this year than it has since 1896.

The vernal (spring) equinox – which marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere – will take place Thursday, March 19, throughout the entire United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. This is "earlier than any other equinox in the last 124 years," AccuWeather said.

The equinox usually falls on either March 20 or 21. "The complicated reasons for 2020's earlier equinox involve leap years, centuries and the length of time it takes Earth to revolve around the sun," CBS News said.

The equinox, which takes place at 11:50 p.m. EDT Thursday, is the precise moment the sun's rays shine directly on the equator. (For everyone outside the eastern time zone, it will be at 10:50 p.m. CDT, 9:50 p.m. MDT and 8:50 p.m. PDT.) 

Thursday will be one of two days out of the year – the other being the day of the autumnal equinox in September – when the Earth's axis is tilted neither toward nor away from the sun, resulting in roughly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness almost everywhere on Earth. 

So it's an "equal night," which is where the word equinox originated: the two Latin words aequus (equal) and nox (night), according to the National Weather Service. Each day for the next three months, the sun will get higher in the sky – and the daily amount of daylight longer – until the summer solstice in June. 

It's also one of only two days each year when almost every spot on Earth – except the poles – experiences a sunrise at due east and a sunset at due west. 

Meteorologists, who define the seasons differently, said spring began March 1.

For the folks down under in the Southern Hemisphere, it's the autumnal equinox this Thursday, marking the first day of autumn.

Honored Social Butterfly

Welcome to the Front Porch on this Snowy Wednesday morning in March, 2020. Our snow will turn to rain and warm into the mid 40's this afternoon. That care and we will ride this out together!

90127240_2947464305314768_8160386795238850560_o.jpg90005434_10158080430579437_1337230250769121280_o.jpgtenor (9).gifTake-good-care-of-yourself-messages-and-wishes.jpg

Woke up with allergy symptoms of course this brought to mind that it has been 5 days since my venture into a very crowded situation at the grocery store.  All gone now in the late AM and I feel very well.

Library site says they have extended  shut down for another week, at least till the 29th.   OK, so I want to order used books from Amazon.  Only one of the books I really want to read is available in used format without a pretty good price jump.   So I am without an unread book for now.  Actually there are some heavier type reading materials that I bought in the past, just dont know if I can concentrate.  We need escapist reading during these times of trouble. 

Honored Social Butterfly

While I was 'visiting' some old homesteads on the mountain in Shenandoah NP yesterday, I learned that our governor had issued an edict recommending everyone 65+ stay in place.

One of the very few cabins in SNP that still has walls up.One of the very few cabins in SNP that still has walls up.

Soon this old home will totally collapse and Mother Nature will claim the wood.Soon this old home will totally collapse and Mother Nature will claim the wood.

To get to these homesites required an hellatious ascent. 🧗‍♀️ The road traces for the most part have disappeared, washed out long ago on this mountainside.  Coming down was even more fun.  It was so steep, you couldn't just jaunt down.  You had to do a careful sidestep to avoid toppling headfirst.  That or slide down on your butt, which I tried a couple of times, although NOT on purpose!  🤾‍♀️ Terrain not conducive to butt sliding -- too rocky.  OUCH!  I'm feeling the stiffness from weird unnatural movements today, but it was nice to get away from the madness where none of this scary craziness existed.

@catwoman500, more stores are offering early bird shopping exclusively for seniors and the vulnerable.  Walmart.  Target.  Dollar General.  See article with updated list.  I am also a night owl, but the advantage to the early hours is being the first to get an op to buy items just restocked overnight.  I've resisted any panic hoarding so far, but sooner or later, I will need to replenish essentials, so, at least, once a week, I can make myself get up early to avoid having to run all over the place to multiple stores 😝 to find a lousy roll of TP.

@LaDolceVita, many libraries offer digital content. Even if you don't have a Kindle or dedicated reader, I believe the Kindle app (or similar) is free.  I love my Kindle, have it stocked with a bunch of books to read.  I like BookBub and buy books at reduced prices when offered.

Everybody, hang in there.  You may not have sanitizer, but soap and water works better.

So, since I'm suppose to self-quarantine, guess I'll go to bed early curled up with my Kindle and set my alarm.  (Governor says essential shopping is exempt.)  😉

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all - guess I'm getting @DaveMcK snow tomorrow before change over to rain , perhaps.Thought that last nights 4" might have been the last.

@LaDolceVita 

If really bored for reading materials check out your local used books stores. I've managed to find many through the years.

Wish I had more than heavy reading computer and networking books. Guess it's time to crack Butler's book, " Two years before the mast", again.

Re: the news of Covid we've had our first Curfew enacted in Portland largest city population wise, and 1 complete recovery of our Patient Zero who had been in Iraq courtesy of Navy.

Pays to live in small state who is large in land mass, I guess.

Iron Butterflies and Jimmy Hendrix hit the playlist today, and it's now time to play at cleaning the house.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Porch Peepers!

But truly, I am so happy it's Thursday!!!  And just think....

Now, it's not so much that I have so much to do or any big plans for the weekend.  But it's just nice to anticipate not "having" to do anything at all for two whole days!  Mmmmmm, m!  I cain't hardly wait! 

But s-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y, Image result for where's my coffee? images

Oh, oh!  There it is!

Image result for animated huge cup of black coffee images

"Aaaahhhhhhh!"

Another good thing is we have Spring just around the corner.  In fact, we only have.... 

So in spite of "everything" going on in our world right now,

Yep, that's what I think I'm gonna do!  Just be happy, thankful, and ENJOY the day!!!

Wishing y'all the same.

Let us stay safe and remember to check on friends and family and say a prayer for humankind. And above all....

even in the midst of the stuff of the day, don't forget to find yourself a good laff & keep smiling!

Lyds

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP