Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MARCH-APRIL 2020

Message 171 of 190

@MsStretch ...Thanks!

So cool!

What you do is certainly something I think I would like doing if I were several years younger and could walk without pain! I used to love walking in the woods and climbing over stuff. Once when I was a teen, a friend and I were walking in Valley Forge and we ended up climbing down the side of a cliff type hill and had no clue where we were. We kept walking and eventually found a road that was like 2 hill levels below where we started, but we did end up finding our way back. That kind of stuff always appealed to me, and you finding all that historical evidence is even better than just walking. All we found were some quartz stones.

Cat Tongue

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 172 of 190

@catwoman500, congratulations on your ACE badge!

It certainly is fun and interesting to explore old historical and abandoned places.  I live in the middle of Civil War country, so I have also thoroughly explored the battlefields and associated sites.  The backstories and seeing remnants of what once was is fascinating.

Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the two graves yesterday, but we did find what was left of a double house with breezeway (long gone).  However, the bushwhack was full of undergrowth and briars.  I was exhausted doing battle with pesky thorns and fallen trees and vines and my hands are shredded with tiny scratches.  But all in good fun and adventure! 😁 

Highlighted

Message 173 of 190

Good Morning, Porch Peeps!

It’s kind of gloomy here in the Philly burbs with rain expected for most of the day, but then…ta da…a gorgeous Sunday is forecast and a Monday close to 70!

I heard it was International Women's Day today...go girls!

I have nothing special planned for the weekend so I’ll just chillax and get a few things done around here.

Here’s to everyone having a safe weekend.

Looks like my pictures are posting again. Cat Wink

YES!YES!

Highlighted

Message 174 of 190

Good afternoon, all,

It's a mild day here, in the 50's with a bit of sun.

Met some friends for coffee earlier and it was nice to catch up.

@MsStretch ...great photos. It must be such fun to come across all of this history, especially when you discover something never before found! You are a modern day explorere! Cat Wink

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 175 of 190

Hey @yooperyaya , seems to be pretty friendly folks here on this front porch. 😊

Haven't been around too much lately, but so many trails road traces, so little time.  My bushwhacking partner and I are on a roll this winter.  We have found 3 cemeteries in Shenandoah NP the NPS wanted to document, but could not locate.  (Makes up for all those winters we couldn't find nada, that and a few more years of experience to sharpen the intuition and senses. 🧐) 

But the truly exciting one was the cemetery I stumbled upon, that no one knew about, including the NPS!  No reference to it found anywhere!  Friend and I were following a road trace and trying to locate the old homesites found on a 1937 USGS map, when we decided to follow a fork in the trace.  She went further up the road and I went to explore a promising looking knoll, which looked less promising as I approached, when I spotted what appeared to be 2 flat stones sticking up about 50' off to my left.  Most of the time, they always turn out to be plain old rocks, but it beared checking out.  YES!  It WAS a cemetery.  The two stones seen here --

01-shifletcem-022320.jpg

(The sun was coming down, but see the deer antlers on the right?)  And when I looked around I noticed more rows of smaller fieldstones, clearly marking head- and footstones.  But if there was any doubt this was a cemetery, found this broken one partially covered in leaves and dirt under a tree.

02-shifletcem-022320.jpg

The only inscribed stone. (Most family plots didn't bother with inscriptions, because they knew where Uncle Joe or Grandma were buried.) It was missing a piece showing the first name (???RY), but the two pieces showed SHIFLET died in 1868,. We rooted around in the leaves looking for the piece, but no luck and we respectfully put the pieces back where and how we found them and recovered with leaves (also helps to protect them).

Research showed up little results on who it was and my friend checked with her contact at the NPS and that's when we found out they didn't even know about it.  So I will get full credit for discovering it.  No, no plaque or anything 🤣, just a blurb in their records, but I am pretty excited.

Off tomorrow on another gallivant to find another cemetery the NPS hasn't been able to locate.  Just 2 graves with fieldstones, but apparently not far from Skyline Drive, just really overgrown and hard to find.  But we got the mojo going this year, so we're gonna keep pushing it.  😁

Stay high, dry, and warm, everyone!

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 176 of 190

Have lost net and cell service 20x today, think te gales might be to blame. 

30-50 mph winds anyone🤣 think I'll just stay in today and watch the tree limbs fly by.

@yooperyaya 

Had a friend leave TX for CO, think the last string was her need to travel an hour to vote.After closure of her last polling station.

Only person left in TX is a business partner in Rolling Rock.

And almost in-law 🤣, thankfully with sense of humor.

Sent him to out house in Winter and he was trapped for awhile courtesy of moose blocking his flight path, to camp and woodstove.🤣 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 177 of 190

yes as in the UP.  

Sault Ste Marie was home for many years.I'm in southeast Texas now

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 178 of 190

@catwoman500 

I think I could TP at least 4 25'x 50'x 3 story buildings. Live where some TP is made, bought a pallet full for $5 in 2005.

It's the important stuff required coffee! Etc must haves.

Even in my local Wally World, TP and hand sanitizer was sold out but, everything else was still on shelves. Think people up here are treating Corona like a normal shopping for extended blizzard season.

It's the extended normal flu season that's messing with people this year. This the first time in 15 years flu shot didn't work, for me. 3 x under the weather.

It's the other bits that are worrisome, absenteeism due to sickness and trying to fill RX when pharmacists are down for count.

Or the rising counts of others with corona in NH, who hadn't left the country but, flew within last 6 weeks or left that state.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Highlighted

Message 179 of 190

@Frozenoem ...Don't forget the TP on your shopping trip. Apparently people are stocking up. Sheesh! Cat LOL

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 180 of 190

Happy Primary morning at least here in Maine, 40* for the moment and sun slowly working it's way past 6 foot snowpiles.

Welcome Yooper, as in UP?

Land of pasties and dear god I need to cross that bridge, in 40' RV not during windy days.

Slowly working my way out the door to vote, and tomorrow is my final shopping run of the month.

Things learned after 30+ years in country, be prepared for stuff to happen. And have supplies on hand just in case.

About all I require presently is flour, sugar, yeast, etc.it won't be Jean Kay's but, gonna try for close second.🤣

Re: Viruses the electronic ones, they're still my bread and butter. The other ones are starting to screw up my supply chain, could be a reason I'm stocking up.

Enjoy all

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!