Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL MARCH-APRIL 2020 CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to March 2020 Goodbye February, 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF MARCH 2020.

goodbye-february_001.jpgmarch_003.jpg 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi folks,   Will be 80 degrees today, not looking forward to it. 

I cracked open on of my more serious learning type books and was quite happy with it.   I have not learned to love reading on a device.  When I got my first Ipad I thought  it would be just the thing but have since returned to the printed books. I start the day staring at 21 inch screen, move to phone for weather,  etc so I am glad to put all electronics away  when I go bed. Just a quirk I guess. If library stays shut and used books become expensive I will have to turn to my Kindle Fire as bedtime reading is more important than any quirk!  

@MsStretch   Nice pics and good for you getting out.  The best thing in this situation is to be outdoors away from crowds.  @Frozenoem  Not too many used book stores near me and my going out time is limited due to mom and of course the virus thingie.  I would like to be in a smaller town during this crisis, suburb of exurb of big metro area is not so great.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, people!

It rained here overnight and is still damp and chilly at 46, feeling like 43. We will have a warm up. They say Friday will be in the 70’s, close to 80. That I have to see!

My friends are just home from Costa Rica having no trouble with re-entry to the US. I think they are so relieved to be home even though they had a wonderful trip. I sure wouldn’t have like to be on vacation, worrying about what is going on in the world. My other friend has family afloat in the Pacific, not being able to go into ports in Fiji and American Samoa. Last word they were trying to get into Honolulu.

Meanwhile reaching out to a bunch of people through my American Greetings e-cards, I have had so many friends respond which is so nice. It’s almost like email went crazy, my inbox keeps filling up so fast. It’s nice to know that everyone is OK so far.

Our local online “Patch” just had a list of restaurants (with phone numbers) in our little town that are open for take-out and delivery. I thought that was really a great service. Probably not worth the cost for just me though.

I probably won’t go shopping anywhere until Sunday when I try my regular Acme run for groceries. Maybe I’ll go to Starbuck’s drive-through one of these days, too.

I agree with @LaDolceVita   I love the feel and aroma of a real book. Since I read a lot in the tub, I’m afraid that I’ll drop my Kindle Fire in the water! I keep an eye on my stack of books, and almost panic if it gets too low. My On Demand service on TV wasn’t working yesterday and I have several programs I missed and would like to see. Hoping it will work today.

I‘ve been doing lot of little things to cheer myself. I cooked some salmon, got my Easter decorations down from upstairs, had a long phone chat with a friend, emailed folks, and finally got my Amazon order to go through.

My wine delivery came yesterday and I heard that the few grocery stores around here that do sell wine and beer will continue to get stocked by the “liquor powers that be” in our state. I feel that I’ve been talking to everyone about wine lately, so I’ll clarify…I am not a wino or do not have alcoholism. I only have a glass of Chardonnay on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!  Cat LOL If I had to choose only 3 things to keep on a deserted island, they would be in this order…coffee, cheese, and wine.

I’m rambling now and should be exercising and getting human, so will say, “Cheerio for now. Y’all stay well!”

YES!YES!

It's a wake up call!It's a wake up call!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 No problems with wine, cheese, coffee for requirements for life. Have finally started cracking my 1970-80 red's. Whites are only for deglazing pots.

1960 whisky has worked its way into my coffee, everything in moderation.

Started a fire, wrote my programs and now, I really need to disappear off into the wilderness.

Have code circulating in my brain, in my sleep. That's just not allowed, when my head hits the pillow, 10 minutes to sleepy time.

Still trying to decide if I really want to keep appt at doctors or just stay healthy and slightly ill. Hard question to ask - nice safe self-isolation or catch the plague going to Doctors office in hospital.SMH.Made a call for her to convince me, if she has answers tell me, more tests see me in a Month perhaps.

@MsStretch No problem with butt slides going downhill, sometimes it's just the safest means to get to bottom. Luckily my wool pants are abrasion resistant, still 1-4' of snow on hillsides or trails.

Yep, I've hit that stage, last night took a stagger around town and into the woods, inactivity hit and just had to disappear.

Breath air, ignore people and requests, sanity beckoned. Tired today you bet, need a nap probably.

But, at least I'm still moving, on tip toes but, moving. Caught a branch in my heel and managed to drive a splinter into bed of foot.Soaked, pulled, antibiotics and just for giggles liquid skin. That stuff smells and stings like heck.

For humor it's pure "Lewis Black" fair warning he has potty mouth. But, gets me laughing for hours on YouTube. 

For books (digital) it's open source or project Gutenberg. Me thinks I will take that nap, my eyes are unhappy at the moment.

Apologies for spelling typing errors. Definitely through pulling all nighters for awhile, or until I see a problem that really gets me going.

@LaDolceVita Try a nice 48-70" monitor of you have an HDMI port on your computer, you can plug in your Digital TV set via cable. It works with my old laptop to TV, easier on my eyes.

Pr for $50 and up a nice projector from laptop to 10' foot wall of tv. Annoying with 1950 patterned fern wallpaper, better with projection screen.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem, oh, I have no problems with butt slides, have even resorted to them when inevitable, but down a boulder-strewn slope filled in with assorted deadwood and occasional greenbriar, all hidden under a generous blanket of leaves (why wasn't this forest floor raked?! 😉), it makes for a very uncomfortable, bumpy ride.  Think splinter or two buried in posterior. 😲

But yes, a hike, walk, stroll, even a kamikazi down a steep mountainside, is a great escape from the insanity.

And when all else fails, a NAP is my go-to! 👍

Honored Social Butterfly

Trees are made for downward plunges or anything else to grab onto.

Have grabbed enough, at least last night only plunge was water missed it by that much.🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Trees are made for downward plunges or anything else to grab onto.

Have grabbed enough, at least last night only plunge was water missed it by that much.🤣.

Froze

Ever grabbed a tree or branch and had it snap sending you into a free fall 🤸‍♀️?  Or, speaking of plunges into water, skooshed across a stream on a log and it broke?!  🏊‍♀️

Ah yes, fun and adventure.  Gotta love it. 🤕

🤣 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Yes, on having tree snap on way down, with a loud aw foxtrot on my way.

Just looked it up, Carter Notch Hut. Two backpacks and a book bag for happiness @ 3300 feet more or less. Kielbasa dinner pan fried and nephew being youngest got to haul water from lake to caretakers cabin, after chopping hole in ice.

First trip to AMC hut system up wildcat mountain, while at UMA head to foot everything was rented except flashlights, boots and coats.

Hit a patch of ice it was snowing and dropped down around 15' to a very nice stream still running.Stopped fall using 2 trees and bridge. Hauled myself out on small foot bridge.

Field stripped to wet socks and soggy felt liners and started fire, and dried out, then continued up mountain. My GF at the time was amused, my nephew thought We must be both crazy (close).

The good news was mummy bags (2) and gear (60 lbs in an old Ozark trail backpack) remained dry! I'd need it later that night, sleeping in -20* temps in un heated hut, on plywood cots.

To this day nephew still thinks my ex and I must be crazy. Mountain climbing in Winter.

And worse still we moved from MA to within 30 minutes of that mountain, from 5 hours away.

Think he's a city dweller through and through. W. Palm Beach, FL vs Maine. Just don't understand that kid, fresh cool air and he only heard one pussycat in the darkened woods/forest on the way up. Although he swears he did see pussycat eyes in his flashlight before the cold drained batteries.

At least he slept congestion free that night, no snoring. And uneventful trip on way down the following day.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem, during self-service season, too?  Impressive.  And a nice steep jaunt in for almost 4 miles.  Woo!

What I want to know is did your nephew ever go with you on an adventure again? 😁

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Yes kinda although he was living with us at time, I believe it could be called involuntarily camping.

Until he discovered it was fun, never leave a 13-16 year old home alone, in an apartment.

He also discovered the joy of camping around Hatfield, MA in Mohawk or Savoy Mountain state park, where log cabins with
electricity , running water bunks and wood stoves could be used in Winter for $5 bucks weekend.

Necessary was walking in around 7 miles, with packs,  percolator, sleeping bags, wood for burning in stove, and food by sled.

Don't think he enjoyed the toilet mid-night but, it did have running water. Cabin had water , toilet was pit type and very un heated.

Also know for fact he disliked the paw prints outside his window on mornings after snowfall.

but, he did enjoy learning fishing on the banks of the Connecticut River in Summer.

Fishing Did last as hobby until now but, kids and a wife who hates the woods may have got in the way.

Perhaps when he retires he may get to live his dreams again. He wishes to live near his crazy aunt and semi-uncle again, in Maine.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch! I think we need to take a moment to thank all those that are working to care for friends,  family and neighbors across the miles. I have Facebook friends in England, Italy, on the Pacific Coast, Florida and all parts of Wisconsin that are facing the same uncertainties we all are. 

The Extraordinary Decisions Facing American, Spanish, Italian and Chinese, Doctors

Medical personnel in Brescia, ItalyCLAUDIO FURLAN / LAPRESSE / AP

Two weeks ago, Italy had 322 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. At that point, doctors in the country’s hospitals could lavish significant attention on each stricken patient.

One week ago, Italy had 2,502 cases of the virus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19. At that point, doctors in the country’s hospitals could still perform the most lifesaving functions by artificially ventilating patients who experienced acute breathing difficulties. 

Today, Italy has 10,149 cases of the coronavirus. There are now simply too many patients for each one of them to receive adequate care. Doctors and nurses are unable to tend to everybody. They lack machines to ventilate all those gasping for air.

Now the Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (SIAARTI) has published guidelines for the criteria that doctors and nurses should follow as these already extraordinary circumstances worsen. The document begins by likening the moral choices Italian doctors may face to the forms of wartime triage that are required in the field of “catastrophe medicine.” Instead of providing intensive care to all patients who need it, the authors suggest, it may become necessary to follow “the most widely shared criteria regarding distributive justice and the appropriate allocation of limited health resources.”

Thank-You-Messages-For-Doctors-And-Nurses-min.jpg89740892_2520372731402524_7888184605675618304_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Saint Patrick's Day 2020. 

I think we should have a Saint Patrick's Day celebration today on line given that we definitely have the distancing issue taking care of. 

We cancelled our corned beef and cabbage dinner out last week with our Trivia club. 

We hope we returned from Arizona in time to reduce our exposure while traveling. We have been back for 9 days now and have stocked up on TP and frozen pizza plus other frozen foods and canned soups. 

With that Let's kick off our our Saint Patrick's day!

tenor (8).gifA.Alexander_StPatParade2013-21-900x614.jpg50974_main_mr1k.jpgCeltic+Memories+Coffee+Mug.jpg89572627_10223202057186823_6055226609672126464_o.jpg1280px-Totally_Irish_in_London.jpgIrish coffee pix.jpgAntique postcardAntique postcardst-patricks-day-quote-holt.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

glittery st. pats.gif

Top o’ the mornin' to you all!

Today I think I need to start focusing on as many of the positive things right here in my increasingly smaller world as I can. So I’ll start with the fact that I woke up, I can breathe, I’ve had coffee and a mini scone, and my newspaper arrived (yesterday it didn’t) Also I know my neighbor 2 houses up is OK since she is the one who grabs my paper from the bottom of the driveway on her way to work and brings it up to my mailbox. YAY!

Then, since I have an American Greetings membership, I can send as many e-cards as I want and I had scheduled a bunch of St. Patrick’s e-cards to be sent to friends today. When I opened my email today, I saw that so many people had responded. I was smiling and they were, too. YAY!

Then I heard that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are out of the hospital in Australia and are back in their rented home feeling much better. Happy that 2 of the nicest people in the entertainment world are back on their feet. Such role models for all.

Zulily has free shipping today!

Amazon is hiring 100,000 workers and is upping everyone’s pay by $2/hour!

Fresh Market sent an email this AM… “We are designating special shopping hours for seniors and other individuals most at risk. These hours are between 8 AM and 9 AM, Monday–Friday. All stores will continue to operate under our regular business hours.” This made me laugh because no way can I be up and look human to get to the store at that time. Hee hee hee! At least it gave me a good laugh!

Then reading everyone’s’ posts here on AARP always makes me smile.

I will continue to look for more smile makers today. I know I’m looking forward to my Irish coffee later. Now I need to exercise and get human.

Good luck today! Stay well!

Slainte!Slainte!

Enjoy!Enjoy!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Sunday in March,  2020!

Hoping everyone is having a restful weekend.  We are having a cool day with cloudy skies.  We are just back from the drugstore and grocery store were we picked up what we need. Many shelves were empty but we found what we needed. We have a good supply of TP! Several pizzas and frozen salmon. Watching a movie to replace watching the cancelled college basketball tournaments.

Some more about our Arizona trip in photos which have some downloaded ones.  

Grand  Canyon MuseumGrand Canyon MuseumEagleRock.jpgimg_461_1.jpg1920px-El_Tovar_Grand_Canyon_Village_09_2017_5320.jpgpowell-pt-640.jpgGRCAmap2_960x.jpg

20200305_145901.jpg20200305_132801_001.jpg20200305_123306.jpg20200305_123210.jpg20200305_122950.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi Everyone,

I love how everyone is relating their shopping experiences!

This morning was my Acme day. My friend texted me to see if I was still going (as we met at the Acme and always see each other there on Sundays.) My 2 other “Acme” friends were also there today. It was actually a much more normal shopping experience than I had on Friday. The handicapped spaces were available and there were plenty of carts. Hardly anyone in the store as is usual for a Sunday morning. I was so surprised, but then strangers started coming in and we all decided we should move along and not chat so long.

Went to the deli department first and the girl who usually waits on me asked if I wanted more than usual. I thought that was a good idea so got a half pound of my turkey and cheese instead of a quarter pound. I asked about corned beef since Tuesday is St. Patrick’s Day. She couldn’t see any but went in the back and came out with the last corned beef. The man next to me said maybe he should get some, too and Sherry the deli worker said maybe she should cut some for herself before it was all gone. HA!

Plenty of fresh veggies were available as it was “buck-a-bag” week. The bakery even had a loaves of fresh Jewish rye. I did notice the regular bread aisle was real skimpy. Of course there were no wipes or sanitizers and they were low on liquid soap. No alcohol, but I picked up a couple bottles of peroxide. Paper towels were available and some brands of toilet paper.   

Milk was available, plenty of frozen meals and entrees, ice cream. I got pretty much of what was on my normal list. Again, I was really surprised.

Now the thing that is bothering a lot of us is that the State Stores (wine and liquor) will be open their normal hours today; some select stores will be open tomorrow; and then the bomb…all closed in at least 4 counties from Tuesday on indefinitely. When I got that alert, I immediately went online and ordered some wine to be delivered to the house.

And after I did my Ebay listings today, I thought I’d check out the closest state store…found a handicapped spot, bought 2 more bottles of wine and since they were out of the standard size of Jameson’s Irish whiskey, I bought 2 of the mini bottles. That should surely be enough for a couple of Irish coffees on Tuesday. Erin Go Braugh! Cat LOL

STAY WELL! Heart

Slainte!Slainte!

@catwoman500   You are certainly very cheery!   I am a bit concerned, looks like  some Aldi's  may be closed for awhile, do not know the status of my local store.  I was so distracted by the grocery store frenzy last Friday that I probably did  not make the best buying decisions.  I really did not expect things to move so quickly and the closings may last much longer than I previously  thought.  Library is closed and I finished my last book!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi!

@LaDolceVita ...I just have to try to be cheery because the other option seems to be fear.

This morning I had to go to the post office because I can’t get a receipt if I leave the package out for the mail carrier. Before that, my accountant called to say my taxes were ready to be picked up, so I really had no choice but to go out.

One customer at the PO had us chuckling about “social distancing,” keeping about 4 feet between patrons, which we were doing. I had ordered a box of disposable gloves from Amazon which I have been using. I was glad I had them on when I had to sign my tax return.

My friend texted me that she had gone to the grocery store this AM and couldn’t get much of anything she wanted, but all was not lost because she bought some donut holes! I think I may have eaten the whole box if I bought anything like that! Cat LOL

Our monthly Chinese dinner out for Friday has to be cancelled as all restaurants and bars in 5 counties were told to close except for take-out or delivery. And sooooo it goes.

Keep smiling, keep washing your hands, and call/text/email a lonely friend. Heart

Amen!Amen!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

It's not the zombie apocalypse this Coronavirus bit, but will be disruptive.

Expect it to be a pita for awhile, and yeah - agree with catwoman

that the alternative of sitting on your hands is ridiculous, and self-defeating.

Movement is a good thing, exercise and going out👍.

For me my staggers around the town or to the local store are sanity. Besides it's an airing, and I get to breathe fresh air and feel sunshine or wind.

I'm used to doing more than this but, need movement. Need to remain at level of movement that doesn't have me panting after a mile. For elderly or those in the 60+ range (ugh!) walking is good for muscles and breathing ability.

Covid-19 affects breathing. I enjoy breathing vs the alternative and have no desire to hit the family plot this year.

Re: stores they restock, sanitize and hose down sometimes.

Yeah, schools are closing for two weeks to month even up here. They need to be sanitized as well, and leveling the curve of Covid-19 exposure means , social distancing. No crowds, call friends on the phone.or take walks 3-9 feet apart.

Stock up on the funky things, like canned foods, pasta in case stores close due to lack of employees who are well.

Re-explore the 60's and learn to bake your own bread - it's easy.

Between Julia and Jeff Smith I'm covered.Cook it's fun and generally tastes better than store bought.

Get the antique vinyls out, pump out some tunes, or clean your tape deck heads and play those tapes. Tomorrow I get to do that on my Aiwa and Teac. Avoiding my Saras speakers until I can move them, and need to hit up my local radio shack. Sansui's until then.

The urge to wound the person that broke them is slowly dwindling. He knows I carry a cane with antler that hurts.😎

There you go, get out and move, take a walk with your pack and husband.

Prepare for perhaps a 2-3 month hiccup in normal life.All should return to normalcy by what January 20th? 2021 perhaps.🤣

@DaveMcK 

Your pix have me going through old memories of my times around Phoenix in the 80's working there for SW Bell, and exploring the outlying areas.

From comfortable humidity of DC and MA, to the whomp of dang it's dry and HOT where's the swamp coolers.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Agree with @Frozenoem 100%.  Go walking.  Get outside.

I still run with the cats every night.  They love chasing me around and sneak-attacking me.  Put in my earpods and listen to one of my cinematic, grandiose playlists (Last of the Mohicans-gladiator-Celtic-type orchestral music) and we have some EPIC walkabouts! 😺😸😺

And yes, off to get lost in the woods again tomorrow far from the maddening crowds.

I hate crowds, hate shopping.  Not a hoarder, but usually make sure I have enough of what I need so I don't have to go shopping often.  Good thing, too, since nothing is left.

Just getting outside and soaking up some solar energy will make you feel better, I guarantee it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for good morning with coffee cup images

Good morning, Front Porchers!

I hope this day finds each and every one out there well and doing well.  There's so much going on in our communities, in our country, and around the world that we may find ourselves caught up in worry and fear.  But we all must do our best to stay strong and focused and to encourage each other, those around us, and even ourselves.  So with that thought in mind:

@MsStretch, you just keep up......

Image result for animation of cats running

those nightly runs with your cats.  I'm sure they enjoy it and with your music streaming in, you get some time to separate from the noise of the daily newscasts and for your own relaxation.  So run!

@Frozenoem, you gave many good suggestions about how we could spend our time during this global and mass "inconvenience."  Now that the weather is finally lighting up, I just might pull my Schwin bike from the garage and start riding daily--early in the morning, of course, before the traffic gets heavy and my neighbors get stirring.  Cuz I agree with you..."I enjoy breathing vs the alternative and have no desire to hit the family plot this year."Image result for animation of pushing up daisies

And I don't wanna be pushin' up daisies either!

@DaveMcK, you really seem like the adventurer on Our Front Porch.  You still get out and do a lot of traveling.  Hopefully one day soon, I'll be free to travel like I did a few years back.  But in the meantime,  I really enjoy vicariously traveling through your photographs.  So thanks for that. 

@LaDolceVita, hope you've now had your last shingles vaccine shot.  I don't know if you have ever had shingles before, but I have and they are horrendous!  So I can only imagine and hope that the discomfort you experienced from the shots was far less than the excruiating pain of actually having the disease itself.

And @catwoman500, I truly enjoy reading your upbeat posts.  Lately you have me chuckling and nodding in agreement with your experiences while out and about.  I really don't like crowds and all of the press and urgency that folks are going through right now.  That's why I have avoided going into the bigger grocery stores.  Too many people.  Too many cars.  Too much crazy!  But I'll have to go soon because my freezer is almost empty and there's only so much...Image result for pic of a campbell's soup can

one person can eat after all!  So wish me luck.  I'm gonna try again tomorrow to venture out early before the crowds arrive.

Where's Nancy?  Haven't seen her post in a while.

Anyway,  EVERYBODY stay safe and keep in touch and let's all remember in spite of everything, we still have so much to be thankful for!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

I did look at my Diamondback Ascent mountain bike but, that will have to stay on wall for awhile more.

between snow and balance it's just not happening. My first year not using snowshoes to boot.

I'm set for irish coffee's, hit the mother lode when we remodeled the camp in 2008. Guess where all the booze was stashed, under the paneling.

Loggers weren't allowed to have liquor or even extracts in camps.My bomb case from WW2 should last until I hit 100.

Okay survival until then practice social distancing we'll all survive.

@MsStretch Did a post last night in politics, and I put link from a Doctor who compared PA during Spanish flu with no social distancing to St. Louis. And mayor ordered distancing and outbreak of cases was confined.

Good read I was on caffeinated high and have the doctors link on laptop while I'm on phone.

Get out , avoid crowds and we should survive. Time to make some bread, man doesn't live by New England Clam chowder alone, and high test coffee is almost done.

Found a link to good info on how to hunker down, and it's meaning to our survival.🤣

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-social-distan...

Might assist on keeping all safe.

Enjoy

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on Friday the13th, March 2020. To day we are looking at sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 30's.

On our Arizona trip we had a great late breakfast at a very unique restaurant in the best mall in Sadona. An intimate European-style bistro feel, with charming ambience. Enjoy patio dining amongst outdoor garden lushness year round. Fresh, healthy menu with many GF and vegan dishes, and exquisite dinners. Select wines-on-tap and craft beers. Open daily for breakfast, lunch & dinner, 8:00am-8:30pm. They say that presentation is a very big part of a meal and it was sure true here. This settling was more amazing because we were heading back to 40* temperatures and snow on the ground the next day.  

Link to their  story: https://sedonasecretgardencafe.com/our-story/

80242355_2880846485313167_1870347249683267584_n.jpg88363968_3064642310266916_8534186882865561600_o.jpg82463045_2950834974980984_7988654649622134784_o.jpg87024223_3017463194984828_7860138516477378560_o.jpg70162725_2668862749844876_7966955542834839552_o.jpgSecret-Garden-Cafe---Beer-3-d79ae67d5056a36_d79ae804-5056-a36f-237a228b20e445a5_815_455auto_s_c1.jpg65651923_2521962557868230_5979837246293934080_o.jpg82792691_2962616173802864_2053640489483108352_o.jpg34017319_1889189794478846_7337660207389999104_o (1).jpg85060805_3001206839943797_7432974727213219840_o.jpg

@DaveMcK   Good for you Dave getting some fun time in.   Another trip to the grocery store for me.  No TP, potaoes, frozen pizza and ground beef.  There is bread again.  Produce looks pretty good.   I bought emergency supplies, mostly cabbage, peppers & eggs.   And two extra bottles of wine Smiley Tongue.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Humpday in March, 2020! 

WATER HEATERS! We replaced ours a couple of years ago because the newer models are more efficient and it was cheaper to have installed as a package deal with our new much more efficient furnace. We also got a $300.00 rebate from our utility for installing a high efficiency furnace.

However,  I forgot to turn off the water supply lines to the water heater and the wash mechine so they can not leak while we were in Arizona last week. 

Photos of our day trip with my Sister Diane in the middle and Brother-in -law Gordy.

FB_IMG_1550078447473.jpg

Tortilla-Flat-Logo-embiggened (1).png

20200307_155541.jpg20200303_115428.jpg20200303_115325.jpg20200303_110717.jpg

Be sure to check out this Link:  https://www.tortillaflataz.com/

tortilla-flat-saguaro-cacti-5623.jpg1280px-TortillaFlat-Restaurant1.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Friday in March 2020!

We are taking a week here in Scottsdale, Arizona at one of our Timeshare. So far we visited my Sister Diane and my Brother-in-law about 50 miles East of here. We have been to 2 Milwaukee Brewers Spring Season games here and a day tour of the Grand Canyon yesterday. Tomorrow we are  going to take a day trip and fly home Suday evening. 

Hoping everyone is doing well and has a great weekend!

1280px-GCRockfall.jpegEagleRock.jpgo (4).jpgo (7).jpgHappy-Weekend-drinks-cocktails.jpgHappy-Saturday-with-love-495x494.jpg363927-Good-Morning-Happy-Saturday.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Well, folks, Saturday started off with a bang or should I say splash? I was rudely awakened from a nice dream at 5:30 this morning with an odd grumbling noise and then the sound of gushing water. Stumbling to the basement, I see the bottom of my hot water heater spewing water all over the place. Now I am not the best “morning person,” especially without coffee and exercising my poor aching body, so like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off, I was moving in circles trying to figure out what to do first. Couldn’t see the shutoff valve for the water heater, so first cut the circuit breaker, then turned off the water to the whole house, then saw the water heater shutoff and so turned the house water back on. Looked up my plumber to see if they had 24 hour emergency service which they did, but no one was answering the phone. I waited few minutes, called them back, and someone answered. She sent my number to the on-call guy and he called me back shortly and was here with a new one in couple of hours. Whew!

I have since had my coffee, but my back is killing me. Need to exercise and then more coffee. I sure hope everyone’s day starts better than mine!

Put in an IV, please!Put in an IV, please!

Honored Social Butterfly

Front Porchers,

Well @catwoman500, it's about 8:30pm at night on the Saturday of your basement disaster and I'm glad to read your plumber was able to get out to you and all is now fixed and in order.  I had a similar event a few years ago which also resulted in a total replacement of my hot water tank which was very, very old and probably had been in need of replacing long before it went kaput.  But these things happen. Such is life.

Anyway, I am a little worried about a good friend of mine who has decided to go on a cruise to "the islands."   In fact, she sets sail tomorrow from Florida. Though I asked her if maybe she might have chosen to wait for the cruise considering the dreaded coronavirus out there, she said she had to go since her daughter had made these arrangements months ago and her cancellation would forfeit all of the prepaid cost of the cruise--about four thousand dollars.

Well, of course, I know that's a lot of money.  But my friend is 84 years old and has very severe asthma and COPD.  She is asthmatic daily.  And I just thought maybe she could sit this one out (she's been to the islands before) and just let her daughter go with her busband and children.  But she doesn't want to disappoint her family and so she is willing to put her health and life in jeopardy.  So I will just say a prayer and in the words of the classic movie Frozen..."Let It Go!"  

Hope everybody is doing okay out there.  Stay safe.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone!

@LydiaN586309  yes…after such a disastrous beginning to the day, yesterday, it was wonderful to take a really hot bath last night! Guessing 10 years is the limit for any appliance made in this day and age. For sure was not expecting to have to get a new one so soon. Cat Frustrated

IMHO, I think your friend is asking for trouble considering her age and compromised health. Travel is iffy as it is, but a cruise? My friends who just left for Costa Rico yesterday have a cruise around the UK planned for the end of April and they are wondering if it might be cancelled. Heck, I’d cancel my going just on general principals. I couldn’t enjoy a cruise knowing the possibility exists of being quarantined in my cabin for who knows how long. YIKES! Plus the possibility of the regular old norovirus that ships seem susceptible to. Cat Tongue

Today, my trip to the grocery store was interesting. There was toilet paper in stock, but NO Lysol/Chlorox type canisters of wipes, just empty shelves where they should have been. The friends who just left for Costa Rico had a hard time finding wipes to take, but finally they thought of going to an office supply place since they stock all kinds of paper towels, etc. for businesses, and that’s where they eventually got a supply to take on their trip. I got a text from them yesterday at JFK where they said they were no lines at all for check-in. Now that right there tells you that people are taking this travel thing seriously…no lines at JFK?

And, I stand corrected, Today is International Women’s Day.

International-Womens-day_amp.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Sunday to everyone on the Front Porch on this Sunday morning March 1st, 2020. And a very special good morning to our followers that have yet to introduce themselves here.

march_016.jpgFB_IMG_1555343133591.jpg85026115_3290505217643806_240128907100028928_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Porchlanders!

It is an absolutely beautiful morning here in Michigan.  The sun is up and out and the streets are dry and clear.  Oh, yes, we still have snow everywhere--on the bushes, on the grass, and on our rooftops.  But no new snow predicted in our forecast at least for today and no shoveling for me.   So I'm good! 

Went to another movie (The Invisible Man) yesterday with my movie-going buddy.  It was more suspence and thriller than horror.  We had a good time, but afterwards we couldn't decide what to do next.  Shopping? No. No need.  Dining out?  Nope.  Not really hungry.  But we finally decided that our sweet tooths needed filling which lead us to the nearest grocery store and the purchase of a frozen Pepperidge Farms Coconut Cream Cake.  Oh, yes we did!  Yum!  So back at her house, we quickly cut the cake, gently warmed it in the microwave, and then we clicked on a new guilty TV pleasure--a show called My Feet Are Killing Me.  Now, this is a show that is all at once fasinating and gory and not for the squimish or faint of heart.  But between the "oohs", "ahhs", and "aacks", we watched ugly feet and gory foot surgeries while moaning over the creamy goodness of our cake.

Strange combinations, I know.  But so much fun!

Anyway, we've all made it to another month....March!  And that means "What?"

And so we patiently wait for it and while we wait, we pour......

...straight from the bean to the cup.

Enjoy this first day of March, Porchers!  Enjoy the day.  And have a great Sunday!

Lyds

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy March to all Porch Peeps!

I've been locked out again for a few days (only on the computer and only on the community forums, though. I can still get the AARP games), and this is the first I've been able to give kudos and reply. Wish I knew why that happens, but at least I know that it will fix itself eventually after a few days. I had some funny wind photos from the other day when it was wild here, but the wind is gone and we are just cold this weekend with a warm up coming this week. I swear I saw a 70 somewhere in the forecast.

Hope everyone stays away from all viruses (both electronic and medical)! Cat Frustrated

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP