Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! JULY - SEPTEMBER 2020 "CLOSED"

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! JULY - SEPTEMBER 2020 "CLOSED"

I have decided to move to September from here as our posts were down due to Summer. Hoping you are all well!

Goodbye-August-Hello-September-Sky-Saying-Quotes.jpg

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to JULY 2020 Goodbye JUNE 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF JULY 2020.

106478-Goodbye-June-Hello-July2.jpg103369759_1335386866664823_4957395165083896669_n.jpg95257442_1302431963293647_8119179861093777408_n.jpg103816608_181942330015642_4409286387243731605_n.jpg103421-Goodbye-June-Hello-July.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon it’s 85 and sunny last cool day of week, tomorrow upper 90’s. My happy temperature range seems to be -10* to 70* after that my mood declines.

Re: non mask wearers have dispatched two Karen’s to date with their husbands, Kevin or Donnie, If they insist upon close talking without mask it becomes a BUMF situation 

I leave translation to y’all🤣, this butterfly is 6’4” and 180, with a stout staff. Admit I dislike most who get in my face or become annoying to wait staff in stores.

Mask wearing 16 hours, I’m good and used to them. N-95 or cloth, beats all heckouta alternative of being ventilated.

Would prefer to remain out of the ICU or COVID wards, like FL. Or being sent home in Starr County TX.

Starr County, TX 

Am I taking this seriously heck ya.

FF8A6ABD-735C-4444-BB17-C21BB1E72902.jpeg

02AC9876-4C45-4B1B-AA74-63536F8678C2.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, Peepers!

Needless to say, I missed the morning.  But I'm determined to not miss the day.  So I am up and awake and have already downed my first hot mid-day cup of tea.  Green tea, that is.  Coffee later.

Well, it almost goes without saying, "It's hot!"   The sun is full up and out.  But instead of sitting in the ultra coolness of A/C, I've opted for open windows and carefully placed fans so as to enjoy the songs of the birds and any slight breeze that might make it's way through.  Right now, I am enjoying both.  But it's still hot.

@Frozenoem-- Try as I might, I have absolutely no idea what BUMF stands for.  But I guess it's safe to say, if you did not give the full translation, it's best to leave it as is.  Right?  R-I-G-H-T!  Smile.

To everyone else:  @DaveMcK , @catwoman500 , @LaDolceVita , @MsStretch ,  @wvgirlforever , @OscarE1968 ,  have a great Saturday and enjoy your weekend!  

But before I head off, I want to share another video.  This one shows the hearts and minds of our non-human earthly friends. It literally made me ball like a baby in parts.  We could learn much from them.  So if you tend to be more weepy than most, have your tissue box near.

Here goes:

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Porch Peeps,

It's off and on sunny here, and so muggy. I did have my first cup of coffee on the porch this morning. It was 73 but everything felt sticky. Now it's 84, feeling like 90 and I'm inside for the rest of the day!

We'll be starting another heat wave soon. It looks like Monday will be 97 (actual temp), so who knows what the "feels like" will be.

Not much going on around here.

@LaDolceVita , @DaveMcK ...Most of the stores in our are have been requiring masks for quite a while now...at least 2 months.

You all stay healthy!

Good vibes.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this very sunny morning on July 24th, 2020! We are looking at a high of 80*, sunny skies, with no showers for a while this weekend.

It is time we start returning more troops from Afghanistan! 

Hoping everyone has a restful weekend! Stay safe and stay well!

86457659_10218970281080992_4269735604381548544_n.jpg104414805_10220092505095891_369260354565312694_n.jpg359667-Happy-Weekend-My-Friend.jpg103816608_181942330015642_4409286387243731605_n.jpgil_fullxfull.1910471976_h0z2.jpg70895384_1137402733126643_8156280703424659456_n.png.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday afternoon and comfy 77* for now, that’s gonna Change big time . Rain and god of thunder will be heard from later.🤣

@catwoman500 

You’re allowed a soft spot for IE just don’t use it. It allowed to many security issues to happen. Reason M$ pulled it and wanted people to use Edge.

Personally, I still use around 8 different browser but, none are IE. On iPhone or Windows.

@LydiaN586309 

Refuse to bring any firewood in until at least Autumn, have around 2 cords dry outside.

Another 2 Cords green , try to keep a little on hand just in case.As long as you let it dry no problems on burning it.

Retirement will just happen for me, when I tire of this. Some days I really want it to happen now, others sure I’ll keep going.🤣

@MsStretch 

Heaven help me my pods disappeared somewhere I know not where. Fresh pair on order, until new ones pop up, it’s cord land. Or BLuetooth to stereo need my I tunes🤣.

@wvgirlforever 

Same old for me, I’m maturing ungracefully fighting all the way.

At risk yeah , social distancing, masks, gloves as needed, sanitizer, clean room when working.

Virtual meetings on Zoom, texting or FaceTime when required. Have met 2 people in 6 months in person, it was required the rest know that ain’t happening.😎

Next week I’m taking a hike with 2 more, they know I’m delicate at this stage in Pandemic. Distance will be required, don’t wish to pass this year🤬.

Let your technology work for you, I’m avoiding close and personal for awhile. It’s just easier. There are times when I’m bouncing off walls, music ,TV, or hikes happen.

Local store and I have been on lockdown since Winter into spring and summer, same with employees.

It’s the rest of the state that are concerning for the moment, and pesky tourists coming into town.

We’re up on numbers 3,737 confirmed 118 dead out of 1.34 Million people. We’re a big state in land mass but, small in population.

Except for those pesky cities and towns of more than 1000, if really curious check out CDC for the states you want to visit, or WHO.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Social Butterfly

monday-quotes-1576777544.jpg

Good morning Everyone may you all have a Wonderful Monday 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Monday, Peeps!

This may be a record. I’ve been able to get to the AARP community via computer for 40 hours now.

It’s 91, feeling like 99 again.

@LydiaN586309 ...It makes me tired just reading what you did! 🙀

@Frozenoem ...I taught first grade for 35 years. Loved teaching the little ones to read!

I got the porch vacuumed today. Thought I was going to have to do it in 15 min periods, but I got it all done, and now am back inside to recoup. 😛

Get them to love reading!Get them to love reading!

Before social distancing.Before social distancing.

Honored Social Butterfly

Tuesday afternoon slept in had to recover from yesterday, no one beat their computers into submission.

Getting closer to garage Roof. reasonable bids finally coming in, and architectural shingles are cheaper than contractor grade.

@catwoman500 

Ex is High school level, little darlings are slightly different, hormones on screech and guns in school or in their trucks for hunting season.

Courtesy of one Governor she can’t retire gracefully for awhile, retirement age changed.😡She still enjoys the kids but....,..

Need to play outside now, lawn is calling.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All…

@Frozenoem ...High School is like teaching in a war zone even in the burbs. Middle School is like teaching walking hormones. Elementary…my speed.

Eye doc appt. today. They never called to confirm, so I called them yesterday to ask if there were any specific things other than wearing a mask, but they said no…Dr. ___’s patients can come right up.

This is the first time at a doc’s office I didn’t have to call from the parking lot.

This is a large practice and has a huge waiting room with the an optical business in an extension of the waiting room. There was only one lady waiting when I went in, so I felt comfortable. Then many people started coming in and I was getting antsy. Of course they had the chairs spaced, but even so I was getting the heebie jeebies. HA! So glad when the girl came to get me.

First time I ever got a refund! This doc asked if I was having trouble with my glasses or any vision problems. When I said no, he said then we won’t do the refraction and you’ll get a refund.

So no change in glasses, cataract situation is stable (Whew! Glad I don’t need that yet.), and no other problems other than the darn dilation drops make me crazy…and they even use the lighter dose on me. It’s 3 hours later and I still am having trouble looking at this screen or out the window. I feel like one of those Margaret Keane paintings of the kids with the big eyes.

Enjoy your day responsibly. 😷 😸

Yikes!Yikes!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Peepers!

I just finished another long double shift.  But in my last hour, I thought about you all.  So here is my sincerest wish for everyone on Our Front Porch today.....

Have a Fantabulous Day!

Lyds

Trusted Contributor

@LydiaN586309     Needed that video in the worst sort of way!  I would love to just get out in the street and do that.  Wonder if anyone would join me or all the police?   Haven't been on here for a while so don't know exactly what's going on with everyone.  I tried being on the group that states song titles and then the next song has to have one of the words in the one previously stated.  I started getting so many e-mails(most going to spam) that I had to delete that from my preferences.  Way too many responses!!  

How are things going for you all in the states where you live concerning the virus?  We've been good for a while in Illinois but i suppose they're going to start going back up again.  I want to travel to Ohio and then on to West Virginia sometime next month and stay for a while with each of my brothers but don't know if that will be the smart thing to do. I am at high risk but living alone is starting to get to me even I still work part-time.  SO, any suggestions??

Hope you all are well.  Have a great evening.

Marilyn

Honored Social Butterfly

@wvgirlforever , I'd join you dancing in the street! 💃💃

Psst!  There's more than one reason I take the furkids out for a walkabout after dark.  Ear pods and I'm movin' and groovin' to the beat.  That's when I'm not leading my furtroops against invaders which is frequent lately, since they're not much up for ambushing invasions in the heat.  So they amble, flip-flop in the dirt, watch me, as I rock & roll on down the 'highway to hell'.

T'storms this evening, but they seem to have moved on, so speaking of after-dark walkabouts, it's time for me to saddle up and move 'em out!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Porch Peepers!

Oh, happy day!  Over the past couple of days, my birdfeeders have gone empty.  I neither had the time or the inclination to refill them as the last time I did (which I believe was on Sunday or Monday), I was swamped by a gaggle of pigeons and black birds who gobbled up everything within a day or so.  So I let them stay empty until this morning when I arose early and went out to my other hiding place, the garage, to continue the garage clean-out/up adventure and to feed the birds.

So I filled all of the birdfeeders with seeds, fruit, nuts, two suet blocks, and one large seed and worm cake.  In all, I refilled seven bird feeding stations.  I then delved into my garage work.  I moved some now dried firewood indoors.  I filled the fireplace and the basket that sits next to it with the wood that was salvaged from when I had those trees cut down in the front and back yard  in the Spring.  I also moved inside all of my employee handbooks (about seven large binders) which I want to clean-up and have at the ready for when I decide to retire as I am reminded that each time a new manual was given, we were told that they wanted them back when we leave.  I've mentally given myself between six months and maybe, at the most, another eighteen.  We shall see.  Not feeling pressed either way at this point, but the advent of retirement is now sooner than later.  Happy, happy!  Joy, joy!

Anyway, the reason for my "Oh, happy day," exclamation at the top of this post was because, once all of the feeding stations had been filled and I had shut the big garage door and moved inside to my quiet indoor watching perch (my family room couch), they came.  I was again visited by my favorite blue jay, a pair of cardinals (husband and wife I'm sure), a coupled mourning doves, a few black birds, a robin, a couple of rock doves, and of course more than a few sparrows.  But the one I've been looking for for the past couple of weeks and had not seen, was the Red Belly Finch.  But I looked out and there he was.  Single and solitary.  He flitted and poked and pecked at the feeder.  He stayed  a while and then, like before, he was gone.   But I was satisfied.  Just like in the movie Field of Dreams, I guess it's true, "If you build it, they will come!"  

Red Belly Finches (with a few sparrows)

Be well and Godspeed,

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps!

Milestone in technology for this techno-phobe today...I actually am using Edge for the first time. Now I expect to be able to use it and ALWAYS be able to come here via the computer and not have to get frustrated using the phone to post when I get that "request data" message.

I think I mentioned that during my last Microsoft update, the Edge icon just appeared. I procrastinated until today and now am anxious to try it on some of the other sites that I have not been able to get to lately.

I loved my Internet Explorer and will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. I've been using only that since computers were introduced in our school district, back in the late 80's/ early90's? and I am not a person who is good with change.

@LydiaN586309 ...I loved both of your videos. Almost covered the keyboard with coffee when I saw the dance one! 😂

@Frozenoem ...I know you are shaking your head that I have held onto IE for forever, but I was petrified that I'd screw something up changing browsers. HA! 

You all stay safe now!

Hang in there!Hang in there!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, @wvgirlforever  and @Frozenoem!  So glad you both enjoyed my dance video this morning.  It really cracked me up when I saw it and I, too, wish I had that creature's energy.  But then again, sometimes we just have to live vicariously.  (Got my arms waving in the air right now.  Best I can do!)  Smile.

Anyway @wvgirlforever, I understand feeling a bit stir crazy after so many months being couped up in our homes and having such limited outside human contact (especially with family and/or other loved ones).   But as for me, I have more than enough stimulation just from having had to spend so much time at work over these last months.  As essential workers, we never got a break of any kind.  Not complaining though.  Just fact!  So for me, when I do get a block of time at home, I'm good!

But since you asked, I would say maybe you should wait until the pandemic slows down again before attempting to make travel plans.  Try to do your best with being patient.  Maybe you could see and visit with family via ZOOM or some other virtual means.  And once the virus is a little more under control (hoping against hope on that),  then maybe it will be safer for you to travel.  Remember, being high risk means you gotta be extra careful.  Me too.  I'm high risk cuz I'm "OLD!!!"  lol

Take care and be safe!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon it’s been an interesting morning, filled with colorful language.

Friends a week out barring more 💩, relation in hospital, etc.

Less than rosy day.

@LydiaN586309 

Thanx for video, needed it today.

Froze

Social Butterfly

happy-sunday-morning-quote-3-picture-quote-1.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

It’s 93 here in the Philly burbs, with the heat index at 99. In order to clean my porch today I did it in 15 minute segments and will save the vacuuming for another day.

Glad I go to the grocery store early enough that it was easier to breathe. Right now the air is so heavy.

Woke up this AM to TV news that there was a fire at the apartment complex I used to live in back in the 70’s. It’s about a block down from the Acme. I kept looking at the footage and realized it may have been the same unit of 4 apartments that I used to live in.

I planned another route to the Acme figuring the road would be closed, which it was, but on the way home it was open and I looked as I drove by…sure enough, it was “my” building, and the top 2 apartments were gone. I was on the first floor. Ironically, the guy who at that time lived across from me was a volunteer fireman. Another teacher lived above me back then. I don’t remember who lived in the 4th unit.

My friends and their new puppy are on their way home from SC. They will quarantine for 2 weeks.

Hoping everyone can stay cool, calm, and COVID-free!

Ribbitt!Ribbitt!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Nice to know it’s heating up all over, same temp 93* in the woods, with a slight breeze blowing through a 50’ sugar maple.

Considered mowing and changed my mind quickly, maybe early tomorrow while still cool.

Glad you reminded me of your career, primary or secondary educator?

Trying to convince my ex, to accept the full blown scholarship to Harvard U, would be her second or third masters. Wouldn’t do much for pay scale but, it’s Harvard🤣.I might be slightly biased.

Time to play with vacuum and crank up the tunes.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

monay.jpg

Hey, Porch Peeps!

It's a wonderfully cool 73 degrees right now.  Loving it!  I've opened the patio door so as to see and hear the birds and to enjoy the early morning air wafting through the blinds.  Just nice.

After staying in-house over the bulk of the weekend, I ventured out yesterday to help a shut-in senior friend by doing some yardwork which included mowing the grass and the cutting down three small trees. (Boy, how I love my reciprocating saw!  It's not nearly as heavy as the chainsaw and just as effective.) After about three hours of labor, I was thoroughly pooped and sopping wet literally from head to toe. A soggy drive home left my car seat wet and ended with a hot shower, pajamas, and a much needed afternoon siesta-- all before having to ready myself for the job and work in the evening.

Anyway, later the rain came.  Calm and quiet at first.  But sometime during the night, a full blown storm came through with thunder and lightening and fallen branches and loss of power for many.  But as I drove home in the night through darkened streets, I turned the corner leading to my home to find that my home was spared.  Well, I at least had lights, but no cable TV or internet service.  But both are back up and running now...obviously.

Anyway, I can already feel the temperature rising outside as the sun is now full up and the cool breezes have slowed to a whisper.  Guess it will soon be time to close the patio door and turn on the A/C.  But for now, I think since I've already downed my morning meds and vits and gobbled up a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins and walnuts and milk, it's time for me to crawl back to bed and get a little more shut-eye.  

Take care Peepers!  Be safe, mask up, and stay healthy.

Lydia

And remember:

sixfeet.jpg

"Six feet!!!"

Recognized Social Butterfly

It is HOT here.   Looks like 90s for the next 10  days with heat index hitting 100.  I start outdoor chores at 6PM and I feel horrid by 8PM.  I dream of October.  All is well otherwise.  Garden getting enough rain, lots of cukes & peppers.  Notomatoes, birds eat them because chicken food is too close to garden.   Okra will start producing pretty soon.  Great in air fryer, no cornmeal needed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning

@LydiaN586309 

Think our cool period was at 4 am temp 75*, now at 10 it’s 86* and we’re still heating up. Just not used to this type of heat.

Good news though Winter will be here before we know it.  Time for Cafecito Cubano need a blast of energy, wakey wakey juice.

Hint- to people never throw a laptop/desktop across a room, or kick it because you have a worm and malware, or because it won’t turn on/boot.

Makes Recovery dicey. Really don’t enjoy taking apart and reassembling hard drives anymore. Tiny screws microscopes, etc to mature eyeballs.🤣

There laptop is toast, hard drive will live and with it their data. And I still have 4 more to do this week, IF my hands remain steady.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Hot!!!!!!!!!!

Wear a mask!

Stay safe!

Stay well!

iStock-182423254-830x425.jpg

How to Put on and Remove a Face Mask 

What is a face mask

Face masks are one tool utilized for preventing the spread of disease.  They may also be called dental, isolation, laser, medical, procedure, or surgical masks. Face masks are loose-fitting masks that cover the nose and mouth, and have ear loops or ties or bands at the back of the head. There are many different brands and they come in different colors. It is important to use a face mask approved by the FDA.

What is a face mask used for

Facemasks help limit the spread of germs.  When someone talks, coughs, or sneezes they may release tiny drops into the air that can infect others. If someone is ill a face masks can reduce the number of germs that the wearer releases and can protect other people from becoming sick.  A face mask also protects the wearer’s nose and mouth from splashes or sprays of body fluids.

When should a face mask be worn

Consider wearing a face mask when you are sick with a cough or sneezing illness (with or without fever) and you expect to be around other people.  The face mask will help protect them from catching your illness.  Healthcare settings have specific rules for when people should wear face masks.

Link:  https://www.sfcdcp.org/communicable-disease/healthy-habits/how-to-put-on-and-remove-a-face-mask/

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK , great info on face coverings.

The other day I was doing a little online shopping and started browsing reusable, washable masks.  Since it seems to be the latest hot fashion accessory that might be around for awhile, maybe it's time to think about complementing the wardrobe.  (The homemade bandanna/buff masks admittedly are too hot for this time of year.)  I'm sure they're out there, but I was amazed how little choices there were.  Admittedly, I was shopping for other things, so I only checked the major retailers, but I thought bor-r-ring.   Seems to me this could be a gold mine for creative minds.  Not just colors and patterns, but perhaps a contrasting border, a touch of lace, a smattering of sequins at the ends to bring a subtle hint of sparkle, a flirty little fringe border, customized embroidery or small patch or logo to personalize?  The possibilities are endless!  There are plenty of ways to stand out in a crowd and say "I'm ME and I own it!"

Yea, yea, I have too much time on my hands. 😄  

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

You can tell masks will be around for awhile when Target and Walmart start selling them.

And insisting that all Walmart’s  Sam’s Clubs, and Costco shoppers wear masks👍.

Regardless of the State, Governor or Federal law. No mask , no shoes, no shirt, no service - get out🤣.

The price on custom silk screened reusable’s are even coming down finally. As are tie dyed.

The not really intended for washing N-95 etc can be sanitized by hanging on car mirrors and exposed to UV or sunlight between wearing, according to Doc’s.

Actually got compliments from Dr’s and RN’s for my Hyperlite, at hospital yesterday.

@LaDolceVita 

I’ll keep giving the mask a shot of Febreze fabric spray And allowing it to dry in sunlight.

Made my life a lot easier in Waiting rooms yesterday, and on the long ride down and back.

That’s as polite as I can phrase it. Shy of an oxygen feed and cannula breathing was much easier and pleasant for me🤣😷

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , I did check Amazon and yes, they did have some cool masks, but most of them required shipping at half the price of item(s) and many were single fabric.  Some of the reviews were meh.

@Frozenoem , I actually ended up buying an assortment at Target.com.  Didn't much feel like making an in-store visit, although a few of my choices were unavailable in my size and I really liked some of the kids masks.

And size?  That threw me.  S/M or L/XL?  I thought masks were one size, but I guess it makes sense.  But never really thought about if I had a big face, medium face, or little face, so I had to check the chart and pull out a sewing tape measure.  Anyway, the unavailable ones went on 'pending status', but I did get some high user-rated ones and yes, with the added pocket for filters.  😷👍

Who would have ever thought we'd be shopping (browsing, comparing, checking reviews) for masks? 😆

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

At start of Coronavirus, before masking required discovered for me with facial fur, I’m a large🤣.

Also found cat & dog masks were landing , in my Dutch Shepherd owners groups but, $29.95 for me was just a tad to much for single masks.

Seems places like zazzle, now are selling for $9.95 to $12.95 each. Love when prices come down on durable medical equipment.

Now if I could just find the snarling rabid dog mask for dealing with no-mask people I’d be golden. Express my displeasure and have them move out of my way.🤣

9D8E80E1-2AB9-4B63-8CE0-AED0C9D89AFD.jpeg

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi,  Porchers,

It sure is HOT.

We are under a heat advisory for a while.

@MsStretch ...Try Etsy or EBay or even Amazon  for some pretty masks. I also saw that the Hallmark stores have some, too. I have a bunch of masks since we're only supposed to wear them once before washing.  If you can get the kind with a filter pocket, even better. You can use a coffee filter or get some filters that can be used up to 5 times. 

coffee on the beach(1).jpg

Wish I was here! 

Social Butterfly

happy-friday-quotes-3.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this very sunny Tuesday morning on July 14th, 2020! We are looking at a high of 86*, sunny skies, with showers or Storms tonight.  

104410974_10218077337107480_1421929750999786484_n.jpg360284-Friday-Weekend-Quote.jpg103816608_181942330015642_4409286387243731605_n.jpgil_fullxfull.1981678433_g4cw.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP