Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Things to do while staying sane in the Time of Covid

Honored Social Butterfly

Things to do while staying sane in the Time of Covid

Was talking with our son about how they're getting along working from home and having few alternatives for entertainment and got a rave review for Hamilton on Disney+. So we signed up for a month $6.99 and had a delightful evening to celebrate the 4th watching a show were tickets had been selling (by scalpers) for $1,000.00 a pop just a few short months ago.

Tonight we're going to revisit Catch Me If You Can - Not having grandkids in the area, doubtful we'll keep the service past the end of the month, but considering movie tickets for the geezer-pleezer matinee' were $7.50 last time we went, gotta recommend you all try at least a month of Walt's latest boon to Mankind.

ENJOY!

Silver Conversationalist

This site, while seemingly geared more to caregivers, has a tremendous amount of activity suggestions and ideas that I think are great ones to help to overcome boredom while this pandemic we find ourselves in keeps us more isolated than we're used to. The title is 50 Activities for the Elderly in Lockdown and Isolation. The elderly word there may be a bit off putting to some but as I said, it's made for the caregivers themselves but we can use the information to give us ideas for things to pass the time that we maybe hadn't thought of before. I know that if it weren't so chilly outside and this Covid mess was through, I can think of plenty of things I'd be doing. But that's just wishful thinking for now.

Click here to visit Golden Carers.com

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Having retired at the onset of the pandemic, my travel plans to visit the East Coast and sample the local barbecue & seafood put on hold. I've been keeping busy with the yard house repairs and watching tv/ listening to music. Keeping in touch with my daughters and parents. And lots of rest and relaxation. 

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

First of all, I want to congratulate you @DaveMcK on your long and beautiful marriage.  How wonderful to have been able to share your lives together and yet still are able to enjoy a full and loving union today.  I pray God give you both many, many more years together in bliss.

@OscarE1968, I am happy for your recent life change--retirement.  I'm not there yet, but I am looking forward to the day when my major decision is if I'll get out of bed at 10 or 2.  Smile.  It's truly unfortunate that the pandemic has so altered our lives such that plans of travel and adventure have to be put on hold.  But the good thing is, we are yet here and still have the hope that when these dark days are over, we will be able head East or West and eat those delicious barbecued ribs or whatever epicurean delight one desires.  For one thing is sure, "This , too, shall pass!"

Finally, thanks @Olderscout66 for the suggestion and information about the Disney Channel.  I have been mulling over if I need to add another premium channel to my roster and bill.  But at $6.99 a month, I agree with you that at that price I'd be doing a whole lot better (cheaper) than going to a movie theatre.  Plus I love musicals and never thought I'd be able to see Hamilton.  But now I just might.  Thanks.

Honored Social Butterfly

As for me, I spend much of my time still working full time.  But when I do have time off, I busy myself with and actually enjoy doing yardwork, binge watching several shows missed throughout the week, and preparing home cooked meals.  They're not always super elaborate meals, but they are from my own hands and that's what I enjoy most.  Fact is, I like my own cooking. Smile.

Also, I enjoy writing very lengthy letters (not email) to distant friends.  There are a few of us who still enjoy putting pen to paper and seeing the uniqueness of the penmanship in each handwritten note.  Ofttimes, we will stuff that letter inside a colorful greeting card for an added treat.  And when our fingers grow weary of the pen, we type out that tome on 8 and a half by 11 sized letter paper and send that with a stamped, self-decorated and stickered envelope--the more bountifully decorated the better.

Honored Social Butterfly

We are watching a lot of reruns on TV! We subscribe to Spectrum On Demand which provides access to thousands of movies and TV shows, including available programming from NBC, ABC, CBS and more.

You can also subscribe to premium channels (such as HBO), Video On Demand and Pay-Per-View, which includes movies, adult programs, special events, live concerts, stand-up comedy specials and more. We enjoy their free movies and pay for view movies. We have been watching reruns from the Hallmark Channel which includes a lot of their movies. 

I spend a lot of time on the Front Porch and Facebook.

Also I have a beer or a goblet of Cab Wine in the evening. I have planned and cook most of our evening meals for years. 

Mary lets me let off some steam every once in awhile. We do carry out meals about once a week. 

My wife Mary does as much walking as the weather allows. No it is not so much the rain as it has been the heat and humidity lately!

We have enjoyed each other's company for 54 years come September 3rd.

We are having big sporting events withdrawal starting in early March. We were able to turn in this year's Brewers tickets for next season. 

Finally, I can catch an hour nap in the afternoon. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP