Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! CLOSED

FB_IMG_1546036171423.jpgGood morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to 2019. We had an overnight snow to ring in the new year. Going to be a slow day today. 

FB_IMG_1546378733946.jpg

Happy-New-Year-Best-Wallpaper-2019-Download-3.jpgFB_IMG_1546354019900.jpgFB_IMG_1546354010963.jpgFB_IMG_1546354004957.jpgFB_IMG_1543890517705.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Just trying to assist city or new country dwellers survive, in the arctic blasts. Part of my previous ditty was scrubbed by AARP, too commercial.

Guess it’s time to re-read my TOS, and I had thought I had had that battle previously with them.😇

Froze

@Frozenoem   Huh?  Or am I not supposed to understand?

@Frozenoem, @DaveMcK   Thanks for the pointers.  Makes me even more nervous about the deer stand, still hoping it belonged to previous owner.  I guess maybe we will find out when signs are posted.   If the stand is not removed after decent interval we will have to remove it.  I hope you dont see me on ID channel's "Fear Thy Neighbor" segment!

We are getting out of the deep freeze very soon.  Will be 62 Saturday and sunny.  Hope there is improvement for the rest of the country.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Re: Your huh, Think I know what happened and corrected it.😇

Was merely releasing frustration, tend to talk and text aloud when irritated or thinking.

Monday and Tuesday we might hit 40* for 2 lovely days, before we fall again to normal temps.

Think I may be punchy, had one hour sleep before I wAs required. Work is an 🤬

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Frozenoem,

I love the survival updates. My Aunt Eileen, from Saratoga springs New York, thinks there's Hope for this jersey girl yet. She  is unaware the tips are from you. She has heated igloo cat houses, for the strays on her property. The 🐈 help keep the mice away from the horses. She used to try to catch the strays and bring them into a barn. 🐈 wanted none of that, so heated cat igloos it is . Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

20 degrees  last night  and the coldest night this winter.   34 now at 11AM  heading for 42 and bright sunshine.  No wind so it is pleasant if one is wearing layers.

I am certainly not complaining, this is Camelot compared to what some of you porchers are enduring.  Take heart February is literally around the corner. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning it’s 7* wonderful degrees (above zero is warm), partly cloudy and snow is forecast so what else is new.

Only 12” hopefully, still digging out from last 36”. Time to knock down the snow banks left by pesky plow driver @ 8 foot piles can’t really see other vehicles coming.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly

Greetings 

I received an email asking for volunteers to help fill out the Section 8 vouches for the qualified applicants. I agreed to help. I can keep my mind off the storm, and help others. Glad the program is finally open again, it's been closed for over 5 years. Just glad New Jersey is starting to address the homeless situation. It's a positive start, hopefully more effective help will be coming.  

37 degrees here. But expected to drop today and tomorrow . On a fun note, channel 12 News reported, somewhere in Canada, during an icy road stop, people got out their hockey sticks and started to play a pickup game of hockey. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good afternoon!

Only a few inches of snow forecast for here later and into tomorrow, but then the deep cold comes to town. Hopefully only for a short visit. I was going to go to Best Buy for ink, but saw a flurry so went online and it will be here tomorrow with free shipping. Why bother leaving home? Cat Wink

Of course that was one flurry and we haven't seen any since, but have been caught out enough times to rethink any outing when ice/snow is approaching.

@LydiaN586309 ...what would we do without electric blankets? Can't live without mine since I hate the weight of layers and layers of blankets on me. I try to turn mine down before I fall asleep, but sometimes I don't make it and wake up roasting! Cat LOL

Don't freeze, Froze! N.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

@Frozenoem 

Stay warm... alot sadness going on within my family so I've not been active nor thanked all for nice friendly welcomes to this thread.... so Belated THANKS!

... also read emails of post & I wanted quickly to say I love my electric blanket and that I also own and love my electric mattress cover which found about 4 years ago @ Sam's so I stay warm on top and bottom.... just letting you know in case you are unaware they make these

Stay safe and warm everyone

: )

Honored Social Butterfly

@gm5271 

Your welcome, had a 12Volt under and over electric blanket back when We(ex &I) camped in Truck Camper.

Beat all heckouta the cold foot shock she enjoyed delivering, and the dog disturbing shriek from me🤣.

Presently in life supporting caffeine drip, re-assembling someone hard drive with no woodheat👎.*

The *woodheat dries air creates dust but, feels so good.

15 minutes and wood👍

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Only a small chance of freezing, where some use electricity to remain warm merely sleeping bag and bedspread. And ms Chelli.

@MsStretch 

Toss a few cats on and I’m sure you too can sleep soundly, and wake up with covers intact.

Chelli tends to anchor my bedding at 60 pounds.

@n566192l 

Ah you finally lost Christie and gained a Democrat, that explains it, for fuel assistance.👍

We did the same thing - kinda.

Think I’ll attempt to close windows again, a guest in my spare room opened them last week. They were located above the woodstove, complained about heat.

Tools Prestone de-icer for aluminum storm windows, and putty knife.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

Toss a few cats on and I’m sure you too can sleep soundly, and wake up with covers intact.

Chelli tends to anchor my bedding at 60 pounds.

Froze

That might work, but actually, I only have one indoor cat. The new guy, Armani, is an occasional run-in.  If I could get them all to come in, I certainly would stay toasty warm except that Delilah, the insider, would NOT be happy with the interlopers and I would have to take cover under covers to avoid flurries of bared teeth and extended claws. 

AND if I could get them ALL to come in, it certainly would avoid treks in snow, wind, frozen mix, rain to check on and feed the outdoor darlings and change out ice blocks for drinkable water and make sure all their little kitty beds are still plugged in.  Yup, I'm not the only one with the heated mattress pad.  Spoiled ferals.

Yup, sounds like Chelli would definitely make a good anchor.  Unfortunately, all the cats together fall well under 60 lbs.  Cat Surprised

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

I thought Armani had moved inside? Vague memory of Armani in indoor igloo finding toys, different site perhaps or different human?

For your ice cubes in feral land, consider this or similar.

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-thermo-kitty-cafe/dp/54458

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@MsStretch 

I thought Armani had moved inside? Vague memory of Armani in indoor igloo finding toys, different site perhaps or different human?

For your ice cubes in feral land, consider this or similar.

https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-products-thermo-kitty-cafe/dp/54458

Froze

Yes, that would be Armani with the toys (different front porch), but he is not totally socialized yet.  He will run in, wreak havoc with toys and contents of drawers, play cat bowl hockey, and then start caterwauling to go back out.  He figured out the litterbox concept, but then, totally missed (albeit he was standing in it).  I wish I could get him to stay in since he continues to bully the matriarch and she moved from Kitty Kamp set up on my deck (for my convenience) and moved out to greenhouse on back of property, so I had to move her toasty kitty hut out there and run more ext. cords. Cat Frustrated

Indeed, I have looked at heated kitty bowls.  God knows I have plenty of outdoor ext. cords and triple taps.

But speaking of cat bowl hockey, you'll be happy to know I took your advice, Froze, and got a non-slip mat, especially after Armani sent water bowl careening into crunchies dispenser and turned contents to mush. Cat Mad  Of course, Delilah, my indoor baby, looked at it and went what the hell is this??

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

Well, I see just about everybody has some weather tale to tell right about now.  And mine is about the same.....  snow, snow, snow!  Today's high 13, but right now it feels like -5*.  Tonight's low is -9*.  No telling "how" that's gonna feel.  Polar bear weather, indeed!   My super long driveway that I so painstakeningly shoveled out on Sunday so I could get out to work, was totally filled in with snow come Monday morning.  And then  after leaving an hour and a half early for my commute to work on Monday (and it took every bit of the time to get to work), I found out that I would have no relief and would have to stay (mandatory) and work a double shift.  In fact, this was my second double in as many days.  Ugh.  So I am eagerly waiting for my relief person even as I am typing here now. Yep, I am more than willing to brave the cold, snow, and ice and that long commute, just to be able to put my old bones in my bed and under the warmth of my electric blanket--turned up high of course!   And then......sleep.

So everyone please keep warm, stay safe, and be blessed!  I know we're all caught up in this "vortex" of weather as they say, but we only have 50 days until.........................Image result for ANIMATION OF SPRING

Honored Social Butterfly

40s here in my neck of VA, but raining.  Temps dropping and expected to turn to frozen mix, than snow.  Whoopee! *said facetiously*

Ran out to store around 1:30ish and noticed traffic already picking up.  What the...?  Everybody stocking up on TP and milk?  Crossed over I-95 and traffic was already stacked up.  Accident?  Anyway, everyone must be bailing to local roads.  On way home, it was worst.  Then I hear on radio that due to early release, DC/VA/MD roads were in full rush hour mode.  Early release?  Government workers just get back to work and all of them were hitting the roads.  Now mind you, I live S of DC, Fort Belvoir and Quantico, but urban sprawl is a b***h.

@LydiaN586309  Don't you just love a toasty warm bed to climb into?   I use an electric mattress pad.  Used to have an electric blanket, but I've been told I play tackle football in my sleep and blankets tend to end up all bunched up and twisted.  Love my giant heating pad though.

Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Wow hadn't read all emails b4 I replied....I just posted love both of mine.... enjoy stay warm :  ) 

Honored Social Butterfly

Remember the  hazardous nuisance was set up cover young people who can not read or if they can not read English. In other words if you have a pool be sure it is fenced. One utility was sued because their poles were only signed on the road side and not the field side when someone was electrocuted. 

General Rule: Are Property Owners Responsible for Trespassers’ Injuries?

The answer is no. As a general principle, property owners are not liable for the injuries of trespassers. There are, as we will see, exceptions to this rule. But in any lawsuit by a trespasser against a property owner, the court will essentially say, “Mr. Trespasser, property owners are not usually liable for injuries to trespassers, prove why your case is different.”

The purpose of the general rule is not to punish trespassers. Rather, the rule recognizes that property owners cannot be expected to anticipate most trespassers. So, the argument follows that property owners cannot be expected to warn trespassers about safety hazards.

Exceptions for Discovered Trespassers

When people trespass with some regularity, property owners may begin to expect continued trespassing. In such a situation, the rationale of the general rule is destroyed. Now, the property owner can anticipate that dangerous conditions could pose safety hazards to people on the property.

Thus, many states require property owners to warn discovered trespassers of dangerous conditions. For example, if a property owner shoots guns on the property and discovers that people use the property as a shortcut to a state park, the property owner may need to post signs indicating that trespassing on the land could be dangerous.

Exceptions for Willful and Wanton Conduct

So, if you post signs that warn of danger, can you conduct target practice with automatic weapons and engage in skeet shooting to your heart's content? The answer is usually no. In most states, property owners must refrain from engaging in willful and wanton conduct that causes injuries to trespassers.

For example, imagine a man owns a house where he stores extra belongings. Nobody lives in the house; it is only used for storage. A series of thefts occur at the old house because it is apparent that nobody lives there. To prevent the thefts, the man places a spring gun in the home. The next time the thieves break in, they trip a wire attached to the trigger of a gun and are shot.

The homeowner will probably be liable for the injuries to the trespasser. Deadly force can almost never be used to protect property.

Another example of this type of conduct would be if a property owner were to build a deep trench and cover it with brush so that any trespasser would fall into the trench. The property owner would probably be liable for the trespasser’s injuries because a property owner may not usually take affirmative steps to harm trespassers.

However, property owners may usually use deadly force to protect themselves or other people. So, for example, if an armed burglar breaks into a home in the middle of the night, a resident of the home may be entitled to shoot the burglar if the resident feels that his or her life is in danger. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this snowy Monday inthe Great Lakes are. We have around 4" of new snow on the ground. The snow is to end this evening. This gives us a base of 12"+ for January. A high temp of 18* and a low 3 of tonight. Our expected high for  Wednesday is -15 and a low of -25*.

I have set up a new topic for all of us to introduce ourselves to our new members. Please stop by and introduce yourself!

@Frozenoem  @LaDolceVita  As to the tree stand ladder:

The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts, in the United States. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children.[1] The doctrine is designed to protect children who are unable to appreciate the risk posed by the object, by imposing a liability on the landowner.[1] The doctrine has been applied to hold landowners liable for injuries caused by abandoned cars, piles of lumber or sandtrampolines, and swimming pools. However, it can be applied to virtually anything on the property of the landowner.

have_a_wonderful_week_Large_PupPort.jpgThink SpringtimeThink SpringtimeFB_IMG_1521419108096.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK 

Thanks you put it well, given my druthers and having played once before with a dreaded tree house/tree stand on another property I decided it was easier to pull ladder.

45 year old tree house/stand bye bye on access to it. Besides my lovely tenants for one year removed the steel roof covering. Oak beams rotted on floor.

Neighbors child at time has discovered the joy of liability since, on her own house. Her 12 year old broke bones.

Home vs Camp insurance is great but, claims are a PITA.

And on that cheery note it’s 11*, beautiful degrees, sunny and I need to prepare for another foot coming.

Southerners your cold is about to come a gift to enjoy or hate, and you’ll also be getting snow, courtesy of Jayden.

Meanwhile I need to play with garage door and ice buildup. Frozen door, broken glass pane, and repairs expletives may flow.

My functioning snowblower is in the garage behind the door. Expected lows to -20* over coming week-exhale.😡

Froze

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Happy Evening

@DaveMcK @catwoman500 @Frozenoem @n566192l 

My name is Ginger I've just been checking out threads in community.... Your Front Porch is interesting 

I'm wondering who are members? Notice 5 of you here posting weather and such 

Who can join? I live in NC seems you all live far North in major cold weather 

Dave can you give me any guidance about how to start a thread and meet folks? Since noticed you have been doing these since 2014 or earlier

I've been member since 2008 ....but only last year+ become very active on site. 

I have posted alot on R4G threads and some on divorce/ relationship threads. I've connected with couple folks through those threads. 

Would appreciate any ideas & contact Thanks 

Hope you all stay warm & have an awesome 2019 ... your blessed to have each other.  : )

Honored Social Butterfly

@gm5271You can start a new thread on the Front Porch by going to the Front Porches home page and there is a box in the up left corner called " Start A Topic". Click on it and then go to the Subject line and enter your topic. Then go to the body box and enter you opening comments. Photos can also be enteed here.

The Front Porch is an open group and the Morning Roll Call is an open topic. Most of the members are from West of the Mississippi and I am from Madison, Wisconsin. I joined in January of 2009 and have been a moderator since 2012. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@gm5271 wrote:

Happy Evening

@DaveMcK @catwoman500 @Frozenoem @n566192l 

My name is Ginger I've just been checking out threads in community.... Your Front Porch is interesting 

I'm wondering who are members? Notice 5 of you here posting weather and such 

Who can join? I live in NC seems you all live far North in major cold weather 

Dave can you give me any guidance about how to start a thread and meet folks? Since noticed you have been doing these since 2014 or earlier

I've been member since 2008 ....but only last year+ become very active on site. 

I have posted alot on R4G threads and some on divorce/ relationship threads. I've connected with couple folks through those threads. 

Would appreciate any ideas & contact Thanks 

Hope you all stay warm & have an awesome 2019 ... your blessed to have each other.  : )

Hi Ginger.  Yup, as Froze mentioned, I live in VA which is cold enough for my thin blood.  But hey, since we live in the mid-south, we can laugh at the northern folks while we sip frozen pina coladas* on the front porch in our relatively tropical temps of 30°-40°.

Of course I jest, but it's a comforting thought.  I'm a newbie myself on the Front Porch, although I've been posting on and off at the AARP community for several years.

*might have to make that an Irish coffee.  Cheers! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@gm5271 

Think you’ll find that we’re not all residents of the Arctic, although see me the end of next week.

Ms is from VA your neighborhood, I only feel like I’m in the artic circle -39* with windchills in ME to 30* above today, and I have the ice to prove it.

The only verboten/forbidden here is politics, yes you can skate over it but, not dwell in it.

You May find Georgians or Kentuckians, or I may be slightly off.

Just drop in say, Hi I survived another day in Paradise, and as long as the stove works will survive again.

Welcome to happy valley🤣

Brief Introductions work, time to feed the fire. Seems to be coolish in Maine Mountains 24*and light snow 3” better than 48”.

ps- don’t worry the cold snap will be extending your way soon, or so says NOAA.🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning on the Front Porch this very cold Friday morning! When it is below zero it is just plain cold! The same for the next week. Snow on Tuesday. Enough of that.

What are your plans for the weekend?

FB_IMG_1530291655290.jpg

20180828_SNZ_LogoVertical_500.pngFB_IMG_1548427576846.jpgFB_IMG_1548427368718.jpgFB_IMG_1534553269081.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps!

35 and feeling like 28. (Temp, not my age!) Cat LOL

Not bad for the dead of winter, but a far cry from the 60 we had yesterday.

Never got outside to fix the pool cover since it rained until it was too dark, and now of course it has frozen back into the pool water.

Stopped at Starbucks after errands so am enjoying my skinny mocha right now.

Coffee is a "superfood" Beverage? Heard it on the Today Show this AM...of course most of us knew that already. Cat Very Happy N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Whatever time it is I lived, power started to flicker at MN, stayed up til 2am. Feeding the fire, just in case. Awoke to large fur ball checking up on me.

Warmed up to 10* heat wave, feels like -4*, in theory. Awaiting my coffee to start shoveling, need to dig drainage ditch if it warms and rains. And need to dig out the windows gingerly.

Have tunneled in the past , about 8 times, one year we had to leave through hay loft of barn I think I was younger than.🤣

Coffee done let shoveling begin.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

I am tired just from listening to these tunneling/shoveling stories.  @Frozenoem  Your situation sounds downright awful.   When a dog doesnt want outside it must be very cold.  Of course she is used to wood heat.   Froze, make sure you stay upright!  

@catwoman500  Your post about chasing trash can made me cold!

Trusted Social Butterfly

This is what really scares me!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/19/australia-swelters-as-relentless-hot-weather-...

It was 48.9C last Tuesday in Port Augusta, South Australia, an old harbour city that now harvests solar power. Michelle Coles, the owner of the local cinema, took off her shoes at night to test the concrete before letting the dogs out. “People tend to stay at home,” she said. “They don’t walk around when it’s like this.”

It’s easy to see why: in the middle of the day it takes seconds to blister a dog’s paw or child’s foot. In Mildura, in northern Victoria, last week gardeners burned their hands when they picked up their tools, which had been left in the sun at 46C. Fish were dying in the rivers.

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1526076639563.jpg

Good morning to everyone on this cold Front Porch! A low of 7 tonight and about 5 - 6" of new snow over the next 20 hours. Looks like Winter is here in the US for a while. I find it interesting that we do not have any posters from West of the Mississippi lately, not that we have had a lot. 

During these Winter days we are doing our share of binge watching. We just finished watching season 7 of Game of Thrones. We are big followers of Wisconsin Men's basketball.  I just watched a recording of their win over undefeated Michigan. We are looking for a road win at Illinois tomorrow night.

FB_IMG_1547919421198.jpgFB_IMG_1547939082345.jpgFB_IMG_1543959563414.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everybody!

Right now it is 21, feeling like 15...heat wave compared to yesterday. Tomorrow the actual temperature is supposed to go to 50 before it chills down again to normal winter temps for the weekend.

Today looks like the last sunny day for a couple of days.

I was out and about to breakfast, the post office...rates increase next Sunday; get your stamps now, and then decided to go get gas which is a pain in the neck for me as we have only self serve pumps now, so I have to drive up to a pump and call the station on my cell to say I need assistance. I stick to one station because now the guy knows me and is so nice. Sometimes it takes a while because he has to run the mini-mart, too.

I should move to NJ where they pump the gas for you! Cat Wink

Now I'm glad to be inside for the rest of the day.

As always, stay safe and warm! N.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP