Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024 JUNE

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024 JUNE

MORNING ROLL CALL JUNE 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 1st day of June 2024.
Happy Birthday to all of our June Birthday member.

1000009941.jpg

1000007421.jpg

1000011265.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps! Thought I'd share today's experience...

What a fun morning at the Driver’s License Center. I needed to get my photo license renewed and I also decided I better get my Real ID thing in case I ever needed it. So… armed with all the necessary info and documents, I headed out to the center.

Yikes! The last time I was there was during the pandemic, and they had “senior hours.” I had parked in a handicapped spot right in front and looked with dread at the line that wound around the building…but a nice man came out and took me right in and got me a ticket, easy peasy. NOT THIS TIME! LOL

I did get a H parking spot right in front, but this time the line was inside…

Oy! What a madhouse that was. A long snaky line between posts like the airport, just to get a ticket. The sweet lady in front of me said she'd hold my spot if I needed to sit down.
When I finally got to the ticket guy I said what I needed and he asked for the required documents. (If you ever need to use a utility bill for address identification, make sure it's not one you've already paid. Apparently there was no zip code on the bill that I brought in.  Luckily I had brought in my car registration, so that worked. Then I sat and filled out the Real ID form while I waited for my number to be called. OMG…With all the numbers being called to 11 different stations, it was hard to hear.
Finally I got to a person, and when she was finished with me she sent me to the photo person. Will get my license with Real ID star on it mailed to me in about 15 days. I got there about 9:00, and was done by about 10:15, but it felt way longer.  Whew! I’m not used to all the chaos.

Hope your mornings were a lot more fun than mine. I need coffee badly!

Hee Hee!Hee Hee!

Honored Social Butterfly

Discoveries of the day don’t bend down And breathe while tying shoes. With sufficient pain I surpass swearing and enter the screaming stage. 

Went from 82* to 62 to 70* on the space of an hour thunderstorms and hail for a first .Got my first dimple in steel roof.

Next week will know if relief is on its way, new wonder meds on the way.

@Therapist4u 

Which reminds me Martin’s Point cover the same formulary as VA or TriCare.No bills😎Only for Maine based residents but, will cover things without pre-approval in other states.and/or provinces but, I’ve been with them for awhile.

@LaDolceVita 

What doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger. Or Old adages are just so much 💩.You’re aware you live in the country when even Wally World say your too far to deliver to, 1/2 an hour away, think they’re afraid of moose.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...OUCH! Sorry that happened! 🙀 Don't much care for pain with the breathing for sure.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u ,  @Frozenoem   I am sorry you guys are suffering with pain!  Hope both of you feel better soon.  All is well with me & mine.  Chronically short on time and it just does not get better.  I have less 'to dos" than when I moved here, less people less dogs,  still I am under water time and energy wise.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita !

Thank you so much for caring about us!

Over time I’ve become more thankful for this group of PORCH PEEPS, who are kind & thoughtful & whom I also care about! While we accept the limitations of ‘chatting’ here, such as delays in replying with peeps, that are living their lives & chime in when they can, to me it’s worth it!

AFA the pain levels Froze deals with, I really am concerned for you....but just having you post here is a relief.... that you’re at least OK enough to do so...& always, with  your ‘infamous’ wit & wisdom! LOL!! 😊

AFA the pain levels I deal with, I spend lots of my time making appts, & calling the pharmacies about medicine shortages & to the various healthcare providers (Most of the time on hold...LOL!) about therapies & MRI or X-RAY & other test & lab results & arranging rides to & from Docs (as I’m now by myself & with no transportation other than what Medicare provides)...but I’m SO GRATEFUL for what I do have, ...

& no matter how much stuff gets messed up & painful, hurtful, frustrating etc, etc ....

I always end each night with a personalized ‘gratitude 🙏 prayer’!

As always, ...Stay safe....&...Take care!

☮️  🌩 🌦 ~Allen 🌈    🌞

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Porch Peeps,

Finally have some time to respond. Waiting for the AC guy to come and do the yearly maintenance check.

He just texted that he’s on the way. What are the odds that they actually arrive in the window that they say they will? LOL

@LaDolceVita and @Therapist4u …it’s the weirdest thing… now all of a sudden, I’m getting emails about posts like I used to. Maybe I can keep up now? Or will they ghost me again?

Glad the trumpet is sounding, @LaDolceVita 

@Frozenoem …we were too far south here in PA for the northern lights, and it was also cloudy. I hear you about the pain…sure wish you well.

My PT has ended and I certainly can do all the exercises here, but I miss the encouragement from the great PT people I had working with me.

@MsStretch…after all the excitement I had about the “reply to topic” button, I don’t even see it!

Oh, well….

Stay well, Peeps!

cat when you get that first sip.jpg

Gold Conversationalist

Hi again @catwoman500

AFA notifications...glad you’re getting a bunch 👍...

for me still too few & random...& then like you, get a bunch...& then...(as Dylan wrote)...it’s  “desolation row”! LOL!

Anyway...hope you get a chuckle from this>>>> misbehaving Kitteh!

yyy.jpg

Please have a wonderful week too!

☮️🚤 🌄 🍦 ~Allen 🌈  🎨 🛶

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u ...Love the kitty! 😸

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m impressed when ever the Scot within me says,”gi up”, and a few choice words.

Odetta Holmes is about the only one helping me survive PT and movement in general .2,1/2 hours of Odetta LP’s, It helps on working thru the stabs of pain, trying to avoid pain killers. They were easier to handle 58+ years back.

On that cheery note time to annoy or improve my therapist’s taste in music, after I eat.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Gold Conversationalist

Hey Froze Buddy! @Frozenoem

It’s interesting to know how the music of Odetta Holmes is helping you! She was a source of inspiration, whose deep resonant voice wove together & revolutionized the strongest songs of American Folk Music and the civil rights movement.

"She animated the horror and emotional intensity in American labor songs by projecting them like a European opera singer."

AFA trying to avoid pain killers...good for you!

Unfortunately for me,...in addition to therapy & other ‘stuff’ ...they are so integral in keeping me mobile & tolerating excruciating pain, all the while...trying to delay or...(best case scenario) ...avoid the almost inevitable surgeries.... *for the back,...knees,...hand...& (hopefully not) a full hip replacement! If they came in rapid succession, ....or in any combo by needing to do too many in too short a time....well..I shudder to think of what that would mean!

Anyway....also >>>>>> “On that cheery note”🙄 😄.....

LOL!

BTW: you can use me as a ‘stand-in’ ......to practice on your real therapist....“to annoy or improve their taste in music!” 🤣 HAHHAAA!

☮️  🌩 🌦 ~Allen 🌈    🌞

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Friday 5/31/24 8:03pm ET)

Welcome back BIG BRO @Frozenoem  💃💃💃

Little Sis,

Nicole  👵

Honored Social Butterfly

Not back yet, too much going on, here.

and too much pain, making progress but, those little pills are doing a number on me, and my brain.

I am receiving all message just can’t always respond, at least I found my AirPods this am, an improvement👍.

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Welcome back NOT ‘BIG BRO’ NOT ‘LITTLE BRO’ but JUST ‘BRO’ 😄 LOL! @Frozenoem I’m really glad to see your post here!  (& also thanks for kudos!👍)

Altho you mentioned about the high pain levels you’re experiencing ☹️ (as I do, & can relate .....but I do have meds, 3 new Ortho Surgeons (one specializes in the spine & back, one for the hand & one for the knees & hips &..&..) & others that are trying to keep me in 1 piece LOL!) 😊

I’m so happy to know you’re “making progress.” 🙏

Additionally, you have us for therapy!

👩😇👨👫🤗

We know you can’t be here often, are all pulling for you ....& want to see you heal as much as possible!💪👌❤️

And I’m also sending positive vibes & good thoughts your way! (hope you get some of them)🍀📿☮️✔️⬆️

Take care my BUD & BRO

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

The annoying bit is finding a pain free position after PT or not.I move it’s pain, breathe..:

Have Dr’s up the wazoo, getting them to all work together would be nice.🤬

Time for a dose of dry heat, like another zmainah. Woodstove heat better than ice and heating pad or hydrocolator:

Froze

Gold Conversationalist

Hey Froze! @Frozenoem

I just saw your reply...glad to be in touch....been many weeks since our last ‘chat’....(also if PMs are better for you let me know....PMs can sit there for a long while until you feel up to replying if you want!)

But thrilled to know you’re getting treatments...of course they vary on effectiveness (as do DOCS ...LOL!),...as sometime it changes by the hour, or helps one day & not others! And I SO relate to the “finding a pain free position” For me sometimes walking, doing chores...or even just sitting helps....while other times it increases pain!  And I really can’t stand in 1 place like in line at the RX for more than a couple minutes...I have to start pacing back & forth a bit, & shifting feet & stances etc...drives peeps behind me nuts...LOL! 🙂

Once in a while, I’ll turn to them & say sorry...but just had injections in my knees *(or hip, back, hand, etc......trying to forestall several surgeries as long as possible!!)

At least the weather’s WAHMA! 🙄 Ha! 😄

Listen...I have more to add....but wanted to post this now so you might see it today....I’ll be back later or tomorrow...anyways...TTYL BUD!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Looks like tonite is a Northern Lights for everyone just got an alert ‼️ n my phone - yep, I’m one of them.Keep looking up when possible.

IMG_4187.png

If you’re in red or green, aim for the dark away from light pollution.

Froze

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Friday 5/31/24 3:58pm ET)

[1] DOLCE POSTED THIS TODAY BELOW: No posts from Nicole? APB for Nicole, where are you? I know you are still reading and watching PBS 🙂.

[2] MY RESPONSE: Hey @LaDolceVita , here is a COPY of my 5/19/24 post from BELOW in the "black hole" /lol  😂🤣

(Sunday 5/19/24 10:48pm ET)

I am stepping away from The Front Porch AARP FORUM and can be reached via PM or in my discussions in other forums.

I know my ladies wonder when I do a MIA and posting this so you know.

@LaDolceVita , @MsStretch and @catwoman500 it has been TOTALLY AWESOME chatting with you.  🤗🤗🤗

Dolce - I know you will stop by when you can to chat with us in my Book & TV discussions in the Leisure & Lifestyle AARP FORUM. We really enjoy chatting with you!!!  💃💃💃

@Therapist4u , we will see each other at some point in my Grief & Loss AARP FORUM discussions. In fact MC just left you a really sweet note. Yes, we luv your visits.  💃💃💃

@Frozenoem , gosh BIG BRO - I will miss you and hang in there please!!! As we age, those Old Folks Issues kick in.  🤗🤗🤗

Take Care,

Nicole  👵

Gold Conversationalist

NICOLE....YES...We ‘meet’ somewhere on each others’ posts, or for me in one of your forums....or PMs etc. almost every day.

That’s why we be ...

4EVAH FRIENDS 😸 LOL!

*&

Thanks for heads up on MC..

didn't get a notice☹️ as usual!😒

TTYL

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u @catwoman500   Another trumpet vine has shown up!  This one where is was planted near the arbor.  The third I am afraid has been dug u and not properly replanted by the furry ones.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita

That’s great news that “Another trumpet vine has shown up!” 👍🌱 YEA!

I had to chuckle at the thought of “The third I am afraid has been dug u and not properly replanted by the furry ones.” LOL!😄

So....You mean 🐶 doggies 🐕 know how to dig up...but just haven’t gotten around to the planting properly part yet! HAHAA 🤣

....might have to ‘up’ the security around the last one... so it hopefully survives...& of course....thrives!!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Honored Social Butterfly

Just a handy-dandy hint.  If you use the Reply▽ option beneath a certain post, your reply will appear below that particular post, which makes it seem out of whack.  If you use the Reply to the topic... option at the bottom, it will fall in line with the whole thread (with newest posts at top or bottom depending on your settings).

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch  I had no idea either. I'll have to try that "Reply to topic" button once I try to catch up!

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MsStretch !  

Thanks for the heads up....

Since I’m not ...as they say..... “tech savvy”....(nor that smart anyway....LOL!) if we are trying to post to a specific PorchPeep...like I am here to you....the ‘tag’ is supposed to notify you, or like some get emails **(I only get a few seemingly random notifications)  & since some peeps can only come here once or twice a week,... replies may take a while) & then it does seem to get ‘lost’ in the shuffle over time....

However... if we are trying to post to a specific PorchPeep, but we post a “Reply to the topic”... then how would an ‘esteemed member’ know to look for it? ....such as yourself....or @LaDolceVita @catwoman500 Nicole @SummerIsTooHOT & Lee @LeeS4949 (& others of course) and Froze! @Frozenoem [Well...I hope he’s OK ...(if someone’s talked to, or with  him, be it a chat, a PM or phone call & could let us know, it would be a great relief!) ) & I do miss his wit & wisdom....]

(Also ...it’s always easy to post a message to Dave @DaveMcK ...as he has posts almost every day)

Anyway,....Thanks for the ‘handy-dandy hint’ info & trying to help!

Hope you, your FAM, & your adopted FURKIDS...are enjoying the nicer weather!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!

As always...Stay safe....&...Take care!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen  🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u ...Yes, thanks to @MsStretch for the hint. And thanks to you for your good thoughts. Like you I hardly ever get a notice that something has been posted. Just so happens 3 came in this weekend. Lots of catching up to do on my end.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @catwoman500

What a few of the good PORCH PEEPS here are finding is that without those notifications it can be difficult to find or follow replies to the messages posted to  us. And like in this post I made to Nicole  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Our-Front-Porch/MORNING-ROLL-CALL-2024/m-p/2557285#M85009  

So I’m really glad to see your post here!  Also THANKS for your kind message to me .....about the good thoughts!🙂

I appreciate all y’all! ....and am sending good thoughts your way!🤗

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@catwoman500   Clematis looks pretty.  We managed to get one trumpet vine out of three, but it is now growing in a pot.  Hopefully it will take off.

@Therapist4u   I still get an email if my name is mentioned in a post.  Not true for you?

No posts from Nicole?  APB for Nicole, where are you?  I know you are still reading and watching PBS 🙂.

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita I’m glad that some of y’all do get notifications from AARP about posts....Unfortunately,  I hardly get any messages about y’all...except random ones...like I’m notified of being mentioned, or received a kudo ...once for every 10...while the other 9 I don’t,

& yet I’ve never changed my settings....

always have it set  to receive EVERYTHING!

That happens even tho you or others,

had ‘tagged’ me...

Oh well....itsuxbutwhatcanIdo?!?

Lately I’ve been searching my FAV PORCH PEEPS recent posts on AARP every few days... & that’s how I saw your last ones...so I just replied to both today!

Anyway....I hope you & Hubbie...

& all FAM are doing well...

Please have a wonderful week too!

BTW: hope that  Ginger’s doing well....

after the small tumor was removed!

Take care!

☮️  🌄  ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u   Tsk, tsk, do not sell yourself so short.  @MsStretch  I did not know about different reply options, always respond to individual posts.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, @LaDolceVita ... if the trumpet vine isn't working you might want to look into clematis. 😺

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP