Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2022. CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL DECEMBER 2022. CLOSED
Good morning everyone on this second morning of 2022.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.

CLOSED

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

I am ready to kick 2022 out the door.  For me, personally, it was a year of bad news and worse news, but happily, is ending on the best news ever. 🙌 Come on IN, 2023! 

I sincerely hope that everyone can also move on and look forward to a new and better year. 

@DaveMcK , I think you should just keeping rolling with the monthly/tri-monthly Morning Roll Call in its present format.  If you change it up, you will have a lot of us discombobulated.  You know, old habits die hard (particularly the older we get 😁).

@Anonymous , I haven't forgotten about pics of the furkids, just been lackadaisical.  I'll get on it, I promise.  My resolution for the new year. 😉 *winks*

Anonymous
Not applicable

(4 comments) Happy New Year @catwoman500 🥳

**A "nosey" question as usual 🙄, do you have or had cats or just luv cats like I do = your username? No pressure to respond!

Lol, had received the email copy of your "post" - took about 15 minutes to "log in" - kept getting "my account does NOT exist" 😱 I am staying LOGGED IN. 😂🤣

Good hearing from you, Nicole 🤎🤗

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Anonymous ...I have had (and love) cats, but after my sweet Licorice passed away at age 17, I never got another, and now with my limited mobility, I'm apt to trip and fall over a fur child, so no purrballs now. 😿

Silver Conversationalist

Licorice.. What a great name 😀

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LeeS4949 ...I used to teach first grade and when I asked the kids what color they thought my cat Licorice was, guess what they said.... 🤣

Silver Conversationalist

I bet it wasnt mauve huh.. I just luv that name.( I promise I wont steal it)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) Hey @LeeS4949 , I do APPRECIATE your "kind" words as usual but I am now hanging out in the Friends & Family Forum. Dave @DaveMcK has been doing an AWESONE job with "overseeing" the Our Front Porch Forum. Moving forward, I will "only" post on our Morning Roll Call Thread(s). Dear Dave @DaveMcK , lol - I tend to want to "fix" stuff, use to be a Consultant "helping" folks "troubleshoot" why their website sales are down. But I "respect" whatever you decide to do in 2023. Wishing you and Mary all the best 2023 has to offer! Take Care, Nicole 🙂

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Porch Peeps,

Just popping in to say, "Happy New Year's Eve Eve."

Had my first taste of Christmas today, finally. Lunch at my stepson's house with the family. 

All 3 of their kids start back to school/jobs on 1/23. Youngest commuting to West Chester U, oldest living at West Chester U, and middle one passing PA state nursing test begins working at CHOP in Philly. Wahoo!

Hoping to have a belated Xmas with the friends who had the tree fall on their 4-bay garage last Friday. All seems to be back to quasi-normal at their place, so maybe we can get together for our Xmas. Such a strange holiday this year. Last Friday it was sub- zero temps and today it was 62.

If I don't get back before New Year's Eve, have a great one. See you in 2023.

Silver Conversationalist

Happy New Year to you and your family. Please have a great and SAFE holiday .🎉

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments (12/30/22) Thank you SO MUCH for being so "kind" @LaDolceVita . You made my day VERY SPECIAL!!! 🤎🤗 I luv giving and receiving "kudos" = they are like "hugs" 😉. Thanks, Nicole 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

I totally agree! Kudos are a way of thanking those that take the time to post on the topics here on the Front Porch. I spent a fair amount of time researching many of my posts. I'm glad to see our posts getting so many views but it would be nice to see the posters here getting more recognition. 

Silver Conversationalist

You very much deserve every kudo you get Dave. You AND Nicole.. Your contributions are wonderful. I look forward to them every day..

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (12/28/22) Luv your "furbabies" picture @LaDolceVita and thank you for all those "kudos". I am in "Kudo Heaven".... Nicole 🤎🤗

Recognized Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  Haha, you deserve kudo heaven.  You have perked us up.   We were in Front 😉Porch rut .

@DaveMcK Nice dog pictues!  I am posting one too😃dogsinpasture.jpeg Safe and sound here with temps returning to normal.  We did go to 2 degrees for a low on Friday night. I just dug out my arctic coats to wear over the 2 layers of clothing I wore and really was not bothered.  Cold is not bad if the sun is shining.  

Not crazy about damp cold.  The hike on Christmas Day was good, lasted about an hour, the little fat dog Daisy was tired and had a good rest afterwards.   The other dogs thought we were going again 2 hours later!

@MsStretch   Wonderful news on your health!  Glad everyone survived the cold.  

Honored Social Butterfly

It has been a very busy couple of days. Starting with very early mornings. Today we where out of town most of the day with very poor signals for our cell phones.

We are looking at about 8 to 10 days of warmer weather with high temperatures in the mid 40's and some rain which should melt most of our snow.

Still thinking about our transition to 2023 and the Morning Roll Call.

Any suggestions?

Mary and I are looking forward to our New Year’s Eve day mid afternoon dinner served in the dining room of our retirement center.

It will be a very complete meal starting with a scrimp cocktail. I'm looking forward to seeing how they prepare the Chilean Sea Bass. The desert will be a flan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (12/27/22) Hi @MsStretch , since you are in Virginia like I am - have you ever "cremated" anyone here? A morbid subject I know, but "just in case" I die BEFORE I make it back to Florida. Lol, brain about to explode from all my reading online. Had met with a lady at one of the local funeral homes last year and was not impressed. And the price for a simple cremation!!! 😱 Anyway, as usual, no pressure to respond. Take care, Nicole 🤎🤗

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , my father was cremated in VA and his ashes laid to rest with my mother at Quantico National Cemetery per his final wishes.  Would have to go back through records for the cost, but military covers burial and final resting place.  Actually, the funeral home did an excellent job with taking care of all sorts of details -- no complaints.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (12/27/22) Lol, I guess Mr. Wonderful is on "vacation" or decided to be "nice" and NOT evict me over my BIG mouth. 😂🤣 Day #2 of Office being OPEN after holidays. GRATEFUL, Nicole 🙂

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Wahoo! Good news!

so happy for you.jpg

Happy cat dance!Happy cat dance!

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous ,  my indoor cat's name is Delilah.  She's gotta be close to 17-18.  I adopted her about 16 years ago.

Six years ago, probably closer to seven, we found a feral mama cat and her two surviving babies living under my deck.  She was a regular striped tabby and her name became Willie Mae.  Her kids were beautiful, long-haired floofballs and looked nothing like her and someone called them 'designer kitties'.  So one became Giorgio and the other Stella. When we TNR'd all of them, we discovered Stella was not a girl after all.  (Hard to tell with long fur and especially when they're feral.  They don't particularly take kindly to a human looking at their butt.)  So Stella transitioned into Stellar.  (Sadly, Stellar went MIA 2 years ago and in spite of endless searching and posting, we never found him. 😢 They are ferals and they live dangerous lives.)  Than a black cat joined the group, got him fixed, and call him Armani.  These cats (when they got 'released', they never went away) are family now, not particularly socialized to people, but they do know the hand(s) that feeds them.  They are spoiled. They have a shed with little huts and igloos with heated kitty beds.  I frequently take the outdoor kids on walkabouts or runarounds.  They love it.  Particularly at night; a headlamp makes it easy to keep track of them since their eyes 'light up'.

@DaveMcK , love the granddogs. 🥰

And finally, I have good news!  Went in to resume my chemo today and the doctor said no need to.  My last blood and DNA tests came back negative  -- no trace of tumors, cancerous cells, all GONE!  Maybe getting hepatitis turned out best.  Hep treatment is a lot less invasive than chemo and since it's been almost 6 months since I did chemo, nothing has 'snuck in' so to continue would add no extra benefit. *doing my happy dance*

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments (12/25/22) @MsStretch , I have been dying to know/lol 🙄 - what are the names and ages of your furbabies. I already nagged @LeeS4949 about his in the past. I just luv hearing about furbabies!!! Thanks, Nicole 🤎🤗😉 (Our Front Porch Forum)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We have 3 granddogs:

received_550136253671820.jpeg

Lola who is 7 years old

20221210_091800.jpg

Okly who is 3 years old. 

FB_IMG_1672008433555.jpg

Kona who is 13 years old

Trusted Social Butterfly

Merry Christmas Day, Peeps!

@MsStretch ... I hear you on the TV. I truly need it on to go to sleep. Comes in very handy also for those windy, stormy nights. I don't want to hear any of that. I still hear the sump pump, but that is actually a welcome sound!

Enjoy your day! Feels weird to be alone, but I can handle it. My friends' generator totally died now and there is even ice in their toilets. Thank goodness their son doesn't live that far.

My upstairs frozen pipes are OK today. I went up armed with the hair dryer, but since I had turned the heat higher up there yesterday, opened the faucet a bit, and opened the cabinet door under the sink, we seem to be OK. Of course, we are at 19 degrees today...better than 7!

Started my car and drove around the neighborhood just for kicks.

Hope this goes away real soon, but it is only the beginning of winter. YIKES! 😱

Ho Ho Holey moley!Ho Ho Holey moley!

Honored Social Butterfly

I feel for anyone without power or heat.  Brings back nightmares of the beginning of 2022 and that snowstorm.  Five days without power and water (septic system) and heat.  And couldn't even get out because the power pole that snapped blocked the only road in and out.  And meanwhile, just a few miles away, out there on I-95, they weren't faring any better because they were stuck for miles.  What a debacle that was! 😯 These past few windy arctic days have dredged up those memories and fears.

I know this isn't your first rodeo, @Frozenoem , but the inconvenience must get old.

@catwoman500 , that's terrible about your friends.  Thank God no one was hurt and they have a place to stay.

Welcome @LeeS4949 .  Yes, Virginia can get right nippy.  I'm at the other side of VA (northeast) from @Anonymous . I gather your furbabies are of the feline variety?  Me, too!

@Anonymous , at first I thought you had your window open and the wind was whipping the curtain back. 😱 But I see the reflection in the glass and your curtain is pinned back.  Wind is scary.  Peeps wonder how I can sleep with TV on.  Drowns out a lot of scary noises like that pesky howling wind.  That and my heated mattress pad and I am usually good to go.

Ho ho ho! 🎅  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!🎄

Silver Conversationalist

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you. Yes, my furr babies are of the feline persuasion. I have 3. Olivia, her mom Penny,and little cousin Buster. They are the center of my world, my heart,and my soul. Another holiday together.. YAAAAAYYYY.. 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

9 comments (12/24/22 4:20pm EST) Okay, I have "thawed out" and ready to share. What a depressing night of 1° (feels like -17°). Never been in weather below 25° and now need to relocate back to Florida ASAP!!! Sun is out, grateful and now up to 23°. Dreading my next electric bill.

This is me "trying" to keep wind out since yesterday in my Studio Apartment here in Virginia. My slum landlord refuses to replace door. Lol, all I need now is our 1st snow. I am crying, Nicole 🤎🤗😉 OUR FRONT PORCH FORUM (2 pictures are attached with this post. Window is NOT open as @MsStretch thought/lol. I have curtain tied to let warming rays in)

Silver Conversationalist

I didnt realize that Virginia was that cold. Its warmer here in the semi frozen northeast but dont worry, the mercury is going to plummet here over the next couple of days. We are over due for some real cold but my furr babies are always on the job to keep me toasty..

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP