Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL 2022. CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2022. CLOSED

MORNING ROLL CALL DECEMBER 2022. CLOSED
Good morning everyone on this second morning of 2022.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.

CLOSED

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 comments (12/7/22) .Lol @LaDolceVita , this site needs to be updated = I am spending "less" time myself on it after joining last month (November 2022). And over the daily pages and pages about the games and awards complaints. 🙄 . But that is my "reason". .😉 .Hopefully they are okay, I hope so too. Nicole 🤗

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

You or anyone else are more than welcome to make any changes you want to up date this group of posts you want.

I've been trying to get more people to post here and add new topics for more than 10 years. 

I can not believe the number of views many topics get yet so very few posts they get other than mine.

All I can say is! HELP!

EACH TOPIC SHOWS THE NUMBER VIEWS VS NUMBER OF POSTS IT GETS.

There have been many days I would like to just walk away from here. Than I think  about the 10s of thousands of people that come here to veiw a new posting. Some within minutes of a new post.

They are the ones that keep me coming back each week to post on the coffee club.

My favorite topic is What Is Special About Today! 

Did you read the one about National Pastry Day?

Honored Social Butterfly

OK I live, been off line, avoiding keyboards too painful to use. That and doing battle with the firewood hauling. Think 54 years at computers May have took a toll on me.

couldn’t have been the 30-40 years of cutting and splitting firewood🤣. Or AARP issues.

I’ll be back eventually, when discomfort subsides or my Doc’s finish mucking about with med’s.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Recognized Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem   Good to know you are well, sort of anyway.  I have hand issues too.  No other arthritis symptoms now which is good since I walk over uneven terrain, leaves & vines.  I did take a tumble the other day while dog walking,  pesky vine grabbed my foot.  Not hurt though.  

Waiting for house to go on market.  Too bad real estate is going down.  I am not particularly lucky with house sales.  

Life is still very hard, mom's companion still in rehab and it is hard to go out and get essentials done.  I had to stop unpacking boxes too and they just sit there and look ugly.  (shrugging shoulders now).

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

@catwoman500 

Might be back ask me in another week, going from constantly working to not so much is a bugger.

Some of my aches and pains are mucking about with med’s or blizzards in my future.

There was a time when a blizzard was considered 2-3 feet or more. Now, it’s maybe a foot and a half.Friday thru Sunday, with possibly a second storm on the following week.

The only ouch is in my wrists, only one unplanned fall since August and pacemaker.👍Try picking up 50-75 lb. Stereos old school or 100 lb speakers and suddenly wrists are an important commodity.

Got tired of 👀 ng at piles of 1960-1990 electronics in the living room, need to fix to sell.

And never ever look in closets or attics for anything.The great news is my old school crap some from full retail stores and others from second hand shops for $20 now are pricey 🤔and only require a cleaning, or soldering. De-Oxit 5 aerosol can for slider switches, 100 for knob pots /potentiometers will do 20 stereos, for $15🤣.

Think I’m going to bring in some firewood for tonight, presently 40* and bare ground.

@MsStretch 

6 am only happens on bad nights, certainly not for cheerful shopping expeditions to WalMart or Hannafords. If people don’t like my masks , it’s tough luck to them.😎

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Thanks for checking in and good luck with everything! 😺

Honored Social Butterfly

Went from 0” of snowfall to 29” in one storm👍, lost power for 20 hours, restored just in time to have 10% battery backup.

2000 Watt power bank big battery charges on wall, solar, 12V or ?

Need more wood by Friday when new storm comes in, hopefully snow vs forecasted rain, high gales 65-75 mph and heat wave in 50’s.

Might be floating time up here if it warms up that quickly.

It’s time to play in the woodpile, enjoy y’all.

Froze

@Frozenoem We are waiting for the big storm to come in also.  My first one in the new place.  Rain on Thursday night then the big freeze with big winds.  Could really be trouble with downed trees and power lines.  @catwoman500  and @MsStretch,    you are in the path too. Let us pray for the best.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

381139-December-Good-Morning.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous, had to laugh at you climbing over boxes in aisle. When I worked overnight, I used to like to stop at Walmart when it was open 24 hrs. (Covid killed that deal.) No one in there but the stockers and palettes of stuff were everywhere! A lot of detouring required especially if I was pushing a cart! 😧

And during the shutdowns, I took advantage of early senior hour every week (although going shopping at 6 AM is not something I enjoy. Being up and functioning at 6 AM is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h for me). I always used self-checkout which nobody else did. Perfect! No peeps in my space. For some reason, people around here complain when they have to do their own checkout. Not me, give me self-checkout any time!

Also, speaking of reaching the top shelf, I once helped a sweet lady who wanted a box of cat crunchies from the top and she couldn't reach it. I grabbed a box and it had a smooshed corner, so I went to grab another one and I don't know what I did, but a whole bunch of boxes came tumbling down. Oh, lord. 🤦 Only in Walmart does this stuff happen!

Honored Social Butterfly

The last time I was in a retail store on Black Friday other than a grocery store was in the fall of 1978 when I still worked in retail. 

In the Spring of 1979 I went to work for the local Utility that I worked for 30+ years and than retired in January 2009.

Actually the day before Christmas was worst as many drunks came in a bought any thing on the shelf and said as they left that they will never use it anyway.

The second worst day is the day after Christmas with all the returns with open boxes and missing parts. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) @DaveMcK , @MsStretch , @OscarE1968 , @catwoman500 , @Frozenoem - did you guys do Black Friday today? Nope, too COLD!

Honored Social Butterfly

No, no, no, don't do Black Friday.  I may look at a BF deal or two online, but actually go out and physically shop?  You won't find me near a store.

I usually do the #optoutside thing on Black Friday and go for a hike, generally at a state park, but this year I did not go anywhere.  Shame on me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment 👉(11/26/22) Hi @MsStretch , the last time I was in a store during the week of Thanksgiving was when I worked as a Cashier at a Walmart in Florida over 17 years ago. And swore never again. This old gal skipped my "weekly" Walmart "get food, I am out" run last week. Will be at their door ON MONDAY at 8am while all the "feel a need to be breathing down my neck" folks are still in bed. Have my 5 Moderna and yearly Flu Shot, but so not taking off my mask at Walmart. Nope, not ready to "mingle", maybe next year. They use to have cops posted. Crazy!!! Luv my online for clothing. 59° degrees here in Roanoke, Virginia. Anyone had snow as yet? Not me. Angela 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

We have had a couple to snow showers of  2" each here in South Central Wisconsin the last few days.That has all melted over the last few days.

Social Butterfly

Good evening to all On The Front Porch! Hope everyone is doing well, just wanted to wish everyone A Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(3 comments) Happy Turkey Day @LaDolceVita , @DaveMcK , @Frozenoem , @MsStretch , @catwoman500 !!! Nicole 🙂

Trusted Social Butterfly

"Oh, puleeze! Put it on the dog instead!""Oh, puleeze! Put it on the dog instead!"

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Porch Peeps!

We've got sun here in the Philly burbs. Hoping to reach the 50's which will be a welcome change from this unseasonable cold we've been having. Rain moving in for the weekend though.

Blessings and good health to you all!

As Mom used to say, "Don't play with your food; eat it!"As Mom used to say, "Don't play with your food; eat it!"

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (11/24/22) Lol @catwoman500 🤣😂!!! When I read the famous AARP email when you posted, "put it on the dog" went over my head until I arrived in the Front Porch Forum to "reply to your post. I am still GIGGLING. Luv your .gif!!!

***I know from reading everyone's posts on this thread, someone lives in Florida and another in Virginia***

NO PRESSURE, but would really help me out IF I could get some feedback on BOTH states from you. If you rather not, I promise to not get upset.

FLORIDA

In your opinion, is there a best location for a regular (lol, not a movie star) Retiree to rent a 2-bedroom single-family house?

VIRGINIA

Dreading LEAVING Roanoke, Virginia but at age 64, need to move back to Melbourne, Florida to be nearer to my only child as I age. Being divorced I had "followed" her to VIRGINIA, she was born in Melbourne and never left. Well she HATED Arlington, Virginia and returned to Melbourne. I luv the mountains and 4 seasons here and DREADING moving back to Melbourne. 😭 So here is my question, IF you are on MEDICARE here in Virginia, any tips to pass my way? I plan on signing up NEXT JUNE, the 3-months early we are allowed to do. I turn 65 that September. I doubt I will be back in Melbourne and already worrying about this as the Bradley Free Clinic here (free clinic) kicks us out when we turn 65 😭. They do not deal with MEDICARE. I have been going there since 2018 when I moved here. Crying already, WONDERFUL and caring volunteers. So, from all my reading, I will get Part A free and GRATEFUL. I will have to pay $164 for the 2023 Part B, which will come out of my Retirement Social Security. Now comes the "complicated" part - since I will need another arrangement for my medical wellness checkups, vision, dental and prescriptions - what VIRGINIA options do I have? I do plan on going to see my local LOA (local office on aging) next year to see if they have any advice.

Happy 🦃 Day Everyone!

Nicole 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , I live in VA (I get it your daughter was probably unhappy with Arlington, it's the horrendous traffic!) and I have Medicare.  Annual wellness checks are covered in Plan A.

Definitely a good idea to have Plan C or a Medigap/supplemental policy to cover spillover expenses Medicare does not pay and Plan D or a prescription plan.  Original Medicare does not cover 'scripts.  Dental and vision are currently not covered, so you will have to have to obtain your own policy.  From my own experience, most people who do not have or expect major problems (just regular exams or check-ups) find paying out of pocket is generally cheaper than paying monthly premiums.  Things like cataracts ARE covered under original Medicare.

As far as Virginia and Medigap options, I am afraid I will not be much help, since I have supplemental insurance and 'script plan through ChampVA (for surviving spouses of war veterans), but there certainly are a lot of options.  It is good you are going to see your LOA as they will be your best bet to help you navigate through the myriad of options in Virginia that will be best for your current and future needs.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , sorry, but can't stop doing my happy dance.💃 I am in awe! 😁

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Leaves disappeared with temps in upper 60’s and rain. Today 28* and 6” of white stuff, still falling👍.

Don’t like the weather wait a minute🤣.

Time for a slog in snow, forgot to buy matches and want a fire, after using oil last night.👎🏻. Liked Lewis Black’s suggestion on new name if he had money, Washington Commodes.

Froze

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I am still struggling here, unable to leave the house except for very short trips.  Visited mom's companion in NH, she is in rehab, do not know when she will get out.  At least she is close by, about 6 miles from home.

Very cold at night here, 20s but I can confidently walk in the woods now that snakes are laying low and no ticks!  Dogs enjoy thechange of scenery.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

20’s are a warm snap up here, last night I turned on heat for year.Think my high been 6* this week with new snow showers each night.

Hoping for Wednesday it may hit 30*😎,tomorrow Turkey can start dry brining in theory. Don’t get the coma of Turkey if brined or the other side effects.👍

2 more weeks to vaccinations for Covid, Flu and pneumonia suggest I’m staying here for bird day. No desire to go out and get Ill.

Need to split some punky wood, and get it burning, It’s brisk out and need to cure my boots with sno seal, brush off my snow pants, and await delivery of my gore Tex waterproofer and stove blower kit. Spikes are attached to cane, and I want to hike after the warm up.

Hope everyone’s having fun, need caffeine 

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 , Nicole left her mess here and I guess moseyed on up to PA. 

It is amazing how those leaves just love to hitch a ride inside. 🍁🍂 I think I routinely drag half the outdoors in with me. 😁

Trusted Social Butterfly

🏈 @MsStretch ... OUCH! 

Honored Social Butterfly

🎶🎵 All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray. 🎵🎶

Suffered a 10" leaf-fall here since all the oaks seemingly dumped (and are still dumping) their leaves all at once. Don't you just love the crunch underfoot?  Not.  Especially when it involves wading and postholing across my deck.

@DaveMcK , I also voted early at the beginning of last month.  My neighbor waited until the 'last minute' to vote early, last Saturday, and had to wait ½ hour which is almost unheard of around these parts for midterms. We got redistricted where prior the incumbent was a Republican and currently, the incumbent was Democrat (who won), so not sure that might have had something to do with it. 🤷 That, and it was the weekend before Election Day.

See you Monday on the football field, @catwoman500 . Commanders have been a hot topic in the news around here lately and not necessarily for their 'stellar' performance. 😏 Rumors and controversy abound.  Biggest is potential interested buyers include Jeff Bezos, Jay-Z, and now Matthew McConaughey.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...Yes I have heard those rumors about Bezos and Jay-Z. Didn't catch the Matthew McConaughey addition! WOW!

We are catching the remnants of Nicole today. Just got back from lunch and it is nasty out there and will probably get worse when the wind kicks in later.

Leaves fell like snow this past week. I'm finding leaves in every room of the house. Sneakers somehow don't want to let go of the leaves until you get inside! 😾

How is November flying by so fast?

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone out there on this important morning at the polls around the country!
Mary and I voted early. Now it is your turn to get out and vote.

dreamstime_s_80001148.jpg

57b2a81cca4650ae9bf5ce949971f113--rock-the-vote-rock-and.jpg

It has turned to summer in my neck of the woods but winter will reign by next weekend.  Moms companion had a stroke this morning,  I have not heard from the hospital yet.  I am weary 😕.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP