Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a real concern that we should all take seriously, especially for people living with diabetes. However, the CDC and other health organizations agree: the best way to combat coronavirus is to be prepared, not panicked.How to Prepare for Coronavirus with Diabetes
Take care of yourself, reduce your risk, and protect others by doing the following:
- Wash your hands frequently—Use hot water and antibacterial soap. Scrub for at least 20 seconds every time.
- Try not to touch your face—Viruses that affect the respiratory system enter the body through mucus membranes found in your eyes, nose, lips, and mouth. If you must touch your face, wash your hands before and after.
- Use your elbow—When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue. Use your elbow to push open doors.
- Wipe down when in doubt—Use disinfectant wipes before touching surfaces touched by others, such as tables, counters, chairs, grocery carts, and gas pumps.
- Practice "social distancing"—Avoid large gatherings and anyone with a fever or cough. In the near-term, work from home if possible and consider tech-based social interactions (text, phone calls, video chat).
- Fill your prescriptions—Make sure your medications are filled, including oral drugs, insulin, and any other supplies you use to manage your diabetes, such as syringes, strips, and lancets.
- Stock up on supplies—The Department of Homeland Security recommends households have a first-aid kit and 14-day supply of food and household items, like detergent.
- Stay informed! When it comes to staying healthy, knowledge is power. The following links give you have easy access to helpful information.
What You Need to Know about Diabetes and the Coronavirus (Diatribe)
Coronavirus and Diabetes - What You Should Know(Beyond Type 1)
Coronavirus and Older adults: What to Know and How to Prepare (CNN)
What to Buy if You're Quarantined at Home During the Coronavirus Pandemic (Business Insider)
How to Disinfect Your Space on an Airplane (New York Times)
Coronavirus Live Updates (NBC)
Be smart. Be safe. Take care of yourself and take care of each other.
We're in this together. ❤️