Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

ARE YOU SENTIMENTAL?

This topic is not just for the ladies, but you guys as well! My dad was very sentimental. He loved Abraham Lincoln. Everytime he read from Carl Sandburg's The War Years, he would cry about something from it. He would read and reread that book many times. He would make notes in the margins about his thoughts of that particular chapter.

However, I'm sentimental about momentos. I can't throw anything away. For instance, if I have a theatre program from a date with my husband, I saved it. I save all greeting cards and amusement park tickets, programs, etc., etc. It's really getting ridiculous. I'm at the time in my life where I need to downsize and organize!

What about you?

Honored Social Butterfly

This is one of the first topics that was posted when I started following the Front Porch back in 2009.
@Boojee wrote:

This topic is not just for the ladies, but you guys as well! My dad was very sentimental. He loved Abraham Lincoln. Everytime he read from Carl Sandburg's The War Years, he would cry about something from it. He would read and reread that book many times. He would make notes in the margins about his thoughts of that particular chapter.

However, I'm sentimental about momentos. I can't throw anything away. For instance, if I have a theatre program from a date with my husband, I saved it. I save all greeting cards and amusement park tickets, programs, etc., etc. It's really getting ridiculous. I'm at the time in my life where I need to downsize and organize!

What about you?

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Regular Contributor

In Response to post:

Oh! My , I have this same wedding cake topper.I almost started to cry when I saw it , as being divorced, it really brought back memories. I have not thrown it away as of yet a it has only been six years. I too have cards that I have kept over the years...~ Media

Deloris, this is a greeting card I keep, one of many, just like the cake topper a little reminder of sweetness and light from another time and just like you said about even being divorced but keeping something that reminds you of the good times you had.  There is always something good that comes out of our experiences, don't you think it helps us to be positive in that way.  Maybe that is one reason we are sentimental, in our hearts we want to relive what was once so important to us.  I read something nice, it said;  " Never regret anything which once made you smile." 

In Response to post:

Hi Carol you inspired me to take this photo of my cake topper, and some of my other keepsakes, teddy bears, snow globes and ceramic snail.  I also have a box of old love letters from forty eight years ago, post cards, baby cards, greeting cards and even old clothes that are way too small, but so pretty I keep them just to look and remember the time I could slip into them so easily.

Every now and then I take things out of the hope chest where I keep them and try to part with something or pass it on to one of my daughters but usually end up keeping my treasures and why not keep a few treasures from bygone days!

Oh! My , I have this same wedding cake topper.I almost started to cry when I saw it , as being divorced, it really brought back memories. I have not thrown it away as of yet a it has only been six years. I too have cards that I have kept over the years...~ Media

Regular Contributor

In Response to post:

http://www.imeem.com/tangipahoa          ....   A Refuge. One of many    ....

Hi Klrrrr, I see by clicking on the link you provided you have music to offer us, are these your favorite songs from memory lane?  Do you remember Ghost riders in the sky by Vaughn Monroe?  That has always been one of my old favorites and the songs of the Sons of the Pioneers.  The things we did last summer, by Frank Sinatra I think he sang that and so many more, music can really take us back to the young folks we still are in our heart of hearts.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

In Response to post:

yep...I am sentimental...I still have love letters my first husband wrote me, as well as the cake topper from our wedding cake.  Just alot of stuff that mean absolutely nothing to anyone but me.   So many things I just cannot bring myself to part with, and why should I .  It is like a blast from the past.

Carol

Hi Carol you inspired me to take this photo of my cake topper, and some of my other keepsakes, teddy bears, snow globes and ceramic snail.  I also have a box of old love letters from forty eight years ago, post cards, baby cards, greeting cards and even old clothes that are way too small, but so pretty I keep them just to look and remember the time I could slip into them so easily.

Every now and then I take things out of the hope chest where I keep them and try to part with something or pass it on to one of my daughters but usually end up keeping my treasures and why not keep a few treasures from bygone days!

In Response to post:

Welcome and hello klrrrr!

But I got to say I have no clue about your comment. But whatever! Welcome!

In Response to ARE YOU SENTIMENTAL?:

What about you?

In Response to post:

yep...I am sentimental...I still have love letters my first husband wrote me, as well as the cake topper from our wedding cake.  Just alot of stuff that mean absolutely nothing to anyone but me.   So many things I just cannot bring myself to part with, and why should I .  It is like a blast from the past.

Carol

Amen! Carol...we're like two peas in a pod!

In Response to ARE YOU SENTIMENTAL?:

What about you?

Carol

What about you?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP