Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Will Medicare Pay for Shingrix?

Message 11 of 55

I went to CVS last week after my doctor mentioned it.  $8.99 for the 1st shot with AARP Medicare Advantage 2, so I imagine the 2nd shot in a couple of months will be the same.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 55
I'd like to know where he obtained his info. I believe his data is probably scientifically inaccurate. I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with vaccines, but I know several people who have had shingles and they have suffered dearly with them and shingles sometimes reoccur. In my opinion from what I have seen makes the shingles vaccines NECESSARY.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 55

@VivianR375175 wrote:

My doctor says it is "highly ineffective" anyway! Take that for what you may...

Are you sure your doc is talking about Shingrix (the newest one) and not the older version of Zostavax.  Zostavax was a live vaccine; Shingrix is not.

Shingrix is much more effective than the old Zostavax.

However, the decision is up to you because only you will feel the (whatever) affects either way.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 55

He said 50%. He didn't mind that I said no thanks! I choose to take no unnecessary vaccines as I have problems with them! Who knows? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 55

LOL! I don't know who your doctor is but immunize.org says: "

RZV(Shingrix) was studied in 2 pre-licensure clinical trials. Efficacy against shingles was 97% for persons 50–59 years of age, 97% for persons 60–69 years of age, and 91% for persons 70 years and older. Among persons, 70 years and older vaccine efficacy was 85% 4 years after vaccination."  I'd tend to believe immunize.org with no offense to your doctor intended. Maybe it would be educational to forward this information to your doctor for more of his "insight".
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 55

My doctor says it is "highly ineffective" anyway! Take that for what you may...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 55

Nothing at that link about Shingrix!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 55

Nothing there about Shingrix !

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 55

I have United Healthcare Medadvantage Complete.  I got on a waiting list a Salt Lake County Health Care in September 2018.  They called me on October 2, 2018 to say they had my vaccine.  I had to pay the full amount of $152 and submit a reimbursement to United Health Care.  I received my check less my copay for about $102 a week later.  I signed up for the second shot on October 2, 2018.  In June 2019 I got a call to come in an get the shot.  Again, I paid in full and submitted a reimbursement to United Health Care.  I received a reimbursement very quickly less my $50 copay.  A week after that, I received a call from two pharmacies where I was on a waiting list to see if I wanted to get my first shot.  I told them I had already had both shots.  My answer is....my Medicare is handled by United Health Care AARP.  I was reimbursed less my copay.  I can't speak for ay other types of coverage.  I hope this is helpful.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 55

@LeslieCY I have over 45 years working in the health insurance business. I know what a copay is, and how insurance works.

You are entitled to BELIEVE your answers were correct if you want . . . but you are not entitled to change the truth about how insurance plans work.

There are quite a few insurance agents who likewise do not understand the way Part D deductibles work.

I made a video that specifically addresses that problem. It is one of my more popular ones.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors